Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Burrow VS Justin Herbert
Many in the media think Herbert is better. You match up their stats head to head Burrow comes out slightly better.. I can understand Burrow being behind Allen or Mahomes but Herbert is just plain disrespectful. The Chargers were considered a playoff team going into last season while Bengals were considered a bottom 5 roster yet Burrow had the better year. Herbert has had the better talent around him but Burrow has had more team success the stats are close but based off team success and talent to work with Burrow blows Herbert away.
Reply/Quote
I'll (hopefully) feel much more confident deriding the comparisons that put Burrow below Herbert following Sunday's game against Dallas.
Reply/Quote
Chargers have had Keenan Allen and Mike Williams and a very good offensive line with a really good defense. Burrow had the corpse of AJ Green for 1 year and a trash offensiveline to work with.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 10:52 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Many in the media think Herbert is better. You match up their stats head to head Burrow comes out slightly better.. I can understand Burrow being behind Allen or Mahomes but Herbert is just plain disrespectful. The Chargers were considered a playoff team going into last season while Bengals were considered a bottom 5 roster yet Burrow had the better year. Herbert has had the better talent around him but Burrow has had more team success the stats are close but based off team success and talent to work with Burrow blows Herbert away.

This debate has become exhausting, but unfortunately, it isn't going anywhere. Both Herbert and Burrow are fantastic QBs and it is in no way disrespectful for someone to say that Herbert is better. The best metric for QB evaluation, EPA per attempt, has Herbert marginally better thus far throughout their careers. The Chargers defense absolutely sucked last season, but their offense was arguably better than Cincinnati's. At least on par. 

I've noticed a trend among our fanbase where there is such strange vitriol for Herbert. I've seen fans talking about how overrated he is and how "disrespectful" it is to put him in front of Burrow as if Burrow is just light years ahead of him. It is silly. Herbert is objectively a fantastic QB. He and Burrow are close, regardless of who you put #1 or #2. That fact alone makes this conversation and debate nearly pointless. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 11:01 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This debate has become exhausting, but unfortunately, it isn't going anywhere. Both Herbert and Burrow are fantastic QBs and it is in no way disrespectful for someone to say that Herbert is better. The best metric for QB evaluation, EPA per attempt, has Herbert marginally better thus far throughout their careers. The Chargers defense absolutely sucked last season, but their offense was arguably better than Cincinnati's. At least on par. 

I've noticed a trend among our fanbase where there is such strange vitriol for Herbert. I've seen fans talking about how overrated he is and how "disrespectful" it is to put him in front of Burrow as if Burrow is just light years ahead of him. It is silly. Herbert is objectively a fantastic QB. He and Burrow are close, regardless of who you put #1 or #2. That fact alone makes this conversation and debate nearly pointless. 

Ask most Charger fans while Herbert wows you with amazing plays more than Burrow. He is also more prone to the back breaking INT's at the wrong time like the 99 yard pick 6 Thursday night.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 11:04 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Ask most Charger fans while Herbert wows you with amazing plays more than Burrow. 

I have no idea what this means.

Quote:He is also more prone to the back breaking INT's at the wrong time like the 99 yard pick 6 Thursday night.

Burrow has thrown a higher percentage of pick sixes so far in his career than Herbert has. Burrow has three pick sixes in 977 attempts. Herbert has 4 in 1349. There is nothing to support this. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 11:04 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Ask most Charger fans while Herbert wows you with amazing plays more than Burrow. He is also more prone to the back breaking INT's at the wrong time like the 99 yard pick 6 Thursday night.

Burrow isn't exactly a stranger to interceptions either. Since the beginning of the 2021 regular season, Burrow has thrown 18 interceptions, the second most in the NFL in that time frame, in 573 attempts, a percentage of 3.1. Herbert has thrown 16 in 754 attempts, a percentage of 2.1.

While both can improve, I think Herbert makes fewer risky throws than Burrow, which leads to fewer interceptions.

As for timing of turnovers, I mean Joe has thrown 2 pick sixes since 2021, one on Sunday and one against the Browns which was of the 99 to 100 yard variety.
Reply/Quote
Joe can pull put the game in the 4th QTR. Herbert has not yet proven he can do that. Herbert had the entire 2nd half of their rookie year to himself which led to his OROY. Media types forget that while the team wasn't winning yet Joe was having a really good year. But those lost games scue the career statistics in Herbert's favor.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 11:16 AM)pally Wrote: Joe can pull put the game in the 4th QTR.  Herbert has not yet proven he can do that.  Herbert had the entire 2nd half of their rookie year to himself which led to his OROY.  Media types forget that while the team wasn't winning yet Joe was having a really good year. But those lost games scue the career statistics in Herbert's favor.

I agree with this assessment and its helping prove my point.
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow does not "blow away" Justin Herbert. Herbert has the NFL record for most passing yards and TDs by a QB in his first 2 years.

WTS, I'm happy to have Burrow. I feel JB gets the nod from the neck up and Herbert from the neck down.

Just imagine how bad you feel if you're a Dolphins fan
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 11:16 AM)pally Wrote: Joe can pull put the game in the 4th QTR.  Herbert has not yet proven he can do that.  Herbert had the entire 2nd half of their rookie year to himself which led to his OROY.  Media types forget that while the team wasn't winning yet Joe was having a really good year. But those lost games scue the career statistics in Herbert's favor.

Yep, cause of Joe's injury. Most likely had nothing to do with being only the 4th Rookie QB in the history of the NFL to throw for over 4,000 yards, or his 31 passing TDs, or his 98.3 passer rating. JB had a passer rating about 10 points lower that Herbert when he went down
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Quote:Bengalfan4life27c
I agree with this assessment and its helping prove my point.

Herbert has six 4th quarter comebacks and eight game winning drives in his career. Burrow has 2 and 3, respectively. There isn't anything to support this claim, either. Listen, I am all for praising Burrow. I'm happy he is our QB and I wouldn't choose Herbert over him, or likely anyone else at this point. There are things that Burrow does better than Herbert, but this nor any of the other points raised so far are one of them. Herbert is great, as is Burrow. They are in the same ballpark. 
Reply/Quote
Burrow will take it to the next level when he gets through his progressions quicker and accepts that a short pass is far better than a sack.
Also throwing the ball to the coaches is better than to the defense or taking a sack.

Nearly every team in the league would take either without a second thought.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 11:31 AM)KillerGoose Wrote:  
Herbert has six 4th quarter comebacks and eight game winning drives in his career. Burrow has 2 and 3, respectively. There isn't anything to support this claim, either. Listen, I am all for praising Burrow. I'm happy he is our QB and I wouldn't choose Herbert over him, or likely anyone else at this point. There are things that Burrow does better than Herbert, but this nor any of the other points raised so far are one of them. Herbert is great, as is Burrow. They are in the same ballpark. 

I have short term memory bias...Herbert didn't win week 17 at the Raiders and lost on Thursday.

However, I've said this all along.  The Chargers got the right QB for them  The Bengals got the right QB for them.  It does not detract from either of them.  We will spend their careers having the Brady-Manning-Rogers discussion which in the long run means nothing as it pertains to the players.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I really don’t give a shit about this
Reply/Quote
Justin Herbert reminds me of the guy he replaced Phillip Rivers. He will always be talked about as one of the best QBs in the NFL but I don't see much post-season success.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Only can Bengals fans shout to the world they have the best WR group in the league and a top RB while also bragging about how much their QB has accomplished with such little talent to work with.

Hilarious

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't know why anyone gets up in arms about arguing this lol. It's a fun debate.

Personally, I was wrong about Herbert at the draft. I had it Burrow 1.... Tua 12.... Herbert 56 in terms of preference (#'s not to be taken literally... more to indicate the separation between them). I just didn't think he had it in him mentally to run a team at the NFL level, whereas Burrow was/is a born leader. Turns out he's more than capable. He's not just a RAS champion with physical gifts that don't translate to the field. I'd be ecstatic with him if I were a Chargers fan.

Still absolutely thrilled with Burrow. There's no comparison, especially not for this team. You get an Ohio boy who doesn't come with the same silly Palmer questions of where his heart really lies, is he comfortable here, is he planning to leave, etc. and I take him over Herbert 100% of the time. There's total stability with Burrow, which has significant value in itself. Burrow is a godsend for this franchise on and off the field.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 11:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Joe Burrow does not "blow away" Justin Herbert. Herbert has the NFL record for most passing yards and TDs by a QB in his first 2 years.

WTS, I'm happy to have Burrow. I feel JB gets the nod from the neck up and Herbert from the neck down.

Just imagine how bad you feel if you're a Dolphins fan
It has been a while since I lived in California, but I used to pick women based on this principle.... Happy
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Herbert is able to make throws that Burrow can’t. Pally nailed it when she said both teams got the right QB for their franchise. I hate the Chargers but Herbert is really good and will continue to be. Joe B is good too and a proven winner. Saying he has less talent around him is just stupid. His WRs are the best in the NFL and they have a very good RB. Herbert has a better O line for sure. Both great young QBs.

What if Herbert, Mahomes and Allen are the Brady, Manning and Brees of this generation and Burrow is the Eli Manning? Never an MVP or viewed as a top 5 QB but wins a SB or 2? I would not mind this at all.
Now let’s see if anyone is triggered by me comparing Burrow to Eli.
Reply/Quote