Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Burrow VS Justin Herbert
(09-25-2022, 07:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Jaguars and Dolphins both look much improved.

Coming out of nowhere with a second year QB? Hmmm
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 07:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Jaguars and Dolphins both look much improved.

They do, but Herbert shouldn’t even have been playing. He had to get a pain killer injection in the ribs to even be able to go.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 07:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Chargers getting stomped by the Jags. Are we back to Burrow? LOL

For talking points at least we haven't been blown out this year w/ Burrow. He, with his struggles, have had both games we lost won. 

With that big throw Herbert had for 55 yards, it didn't look like the ribs were that much of an issue...

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Fins, Bills, Rat Turds and Chiefs appear to be the best teams in the AFC for now.
*Stains will be really good once they get the pervert back.

Not looking forward to playing Miami on Thursday

That said, if we win, somehow, we are back in contention as SB hopefuls.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 07:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They do, but Herbert shouldn’t even have been playing. He had to get a pain killer injection in the ribs to even be able to go.

And then their RBs only carry the ball 10 times. Coaching malpractice there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 03:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And then their RBs only carry the ball 10 times. Coaching malpractice there.

Just saw Slater is out for the season, too. Rough couple weeks for the Chargers.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 07:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They do, but Herbert shouldn’t even have been playing. He had to get a pain killer injection in the ribs to even be able to go.

Did he not learn anything from Tyrod Taylor? 

Stay away from that training staff and needles to the rib area. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 03:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did he not learn anything from Tyrod Taylor? 

Stay away from that training staff and needles to the rib area. 

Yeah, some serious Bud Kilmer shit out there.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 10:52 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Many in the media think Herbert is better. You match up their stats head to head Burrow comes out slightly better.. I can understand Burrow being behind Allen or Mahomes but Herbert is just plain disrespectful. The Chargers were considered a playoff team going into last season while Bengals were considered a bottom 5 roster yet Burrow had the better year. Herbert has had the better talent around him but Burrow has had more team success the stats are close but based off team success and talent to work with Burrow blows Herbert away.

These 2 should be Marque Names for at least the next 10 years  along with Allen and Mahones
Reply/Quote
Time to revisit this because i was sitting around dilly-dallying about on the intrawebz and i realized Joe just finished the 32 game of his career--traditionally 2 full seasons. It also just so happens that Herbert played 32 games in his first 2 years (15 and 17) so i figured i'd spend some time crunching numbers and postulating. 

First off, i'd like to reiterate that both Herbert and Burrow are very good QBs and their respective teams are lucky to have them. Herbert has gotten a lot of attention and it's well deserved with the number of records he's set his first 2 seasons.

Now for the show...

Through their first 32 games, their numbers look like this:
Herbert 839/1267 66.2%  9350 7.4 69/25 97.9
Burrow  782/1152 67.9%  8915 7.7 59/24 99.3

So Herbert had 115 more attempts and with those he completed 57 more passes for 435 more yards, 10 more TDs and 1 more INT.

Burrow's per game averages for those 32 games are 24/36 66.6% 279 7.8 2/1 (TDs and INTs were rounded up from 1.8 and .75 to make it easier). If you add 6 more "average" games to Burrows numbers, to match the 38 games Herbert has played, that gives you
144/216 66.6% 1674 7.8 12/6  (Herberts first 6 games this year, for comparison-- 170/257 66.1% 1716 6.7 10/3). Surprisingly, Burrows stats for the first 6 this year, compared to the "fake" 6 are-- 152/228 66.7% 1616 7.1 12/5 

Add those extra 6 imaginary games to Burrows 32 games played and their career numbers look something like this:
Herbert 1009/1524 66.2% 11066 7.3 79/28 97.1
Burrow   926/1368 67.7%  10589 7.7 71/30 98.9

Same draft class, first round. Numbers on par. Wonder if they can get to the Brady/Manning type of rivalry thing. There's already Mahomes/Allen. It would be kind of crazy to have 2 rivalries like that in the same conference.

Anyway, pretty sure most of those numbers are correct...  Cool

Re-discuss?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:29 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Time to revisit this because i was sitting around dilly-dallying about on the intrawebz and i realized Joe just finished the 32 game of his career--traditionally 2 full seasons. It also just so happens that Herbert played 32 games in his first 2 years (15 and 17) so i figured i'd spend some time crunching numbers and postulating. 

First off, i'd like to reiterate that both Herbert and Burrow are very good QBs and their respective teams are lucky to have them. Herbert has gotten a lot of attention and it's well deserved with the number of records he's set his first 2 seasons.

Now for the show...

Through their first 32 games, their numbers look like this:
Herbert 839/1267 66.2%  9350 7.4 69/25 97.9
Burrow  782/1152 67.9%  8915 7.7 59/24 99.3

So Herbert had 115 more attempts and with those he completed 57 more passes for 435 more yards, 10 more TDs and 1 more INT.

Burrow's per game averages for those 32 games are 24/36 66.6% 279 7.8 2/1 (TDs and INTs were rounded up from 1.8 and .75 to make it easier). If you add 6 more "average" games to Burrows numbers, to match the 38 games Herbert has played, that gives you
144/216 66.6% 1674 7.8 12/6  (Herberts first 6 games this year, for comparison-- 170/257 66.1% 1716 6.7 10/3). Surprisingly, Burrows stats for the first 6 this year, compared to the "fake" 6 are-- 152/228 66.7% 1616 7.1 12/5 

Add those extra 6 imaginary games to Burrows 32 games played and their career numbers look something like this:
Herbert 1009/1524 66.2% 11066 7.3 79/28 97.1
Burrow   926/1368 67.7%  10589 7.7 71/30 98.9

Same draft class, first round. Numbers on par. Wonder if they can get to the Brady/Manning type of rivalry thing. There's already Mahomes/Allen. It would be kind of crazy to have 2 rivalries like that in the same conference.

Re-discuss?
Herbert hasn’t had his playoff breakout yet. Iv gotta see that before i decide. He could turn into Andy Dalton in the playoffs for all we know.

Statistically he’s better tho
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:29 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Same draft class, first round. Numbers on par. Wonder if they can get to the Brady/Manning type of rivalry thing. There's already Mahomes/Allen. It would be kind of crazy to have 2 rivalries like that in the same conference.

Re-discuss?

They could have a rivalry, but it will be difficult because they have to finish the same standings on the years they don’t play each other’s divisions. That is why Manning and Brady always played because they all won their divisions every year. I have a hard time seeing Chargers win their division consistently with Mahomes. Depending how Burrow does against Mahomes and Allen this year, it may turn into a 3 headed rivalry especially if he beats them both.
Reply/Quote
The Chargers have a long history of big armed QBs who throw an awful lot of passes in games. The teams themselves though always seem to underperform to their QB’s talents. Until Justin shows he can take his team into the playoffs and win there like Joe has done, I will always rate Joe higher as a QB. In a way just Peyton Manning is a better as a passer than Tom Brady but Tom Brady just manages to win when it counts,

What will be really interesting to watch is the upcoming contract negotiations foe each of them. It is not very often we get 2 such closely matched top 10 QBs coming up for contract negotiations at the same time. Which one signs first Joe or Justin? And how will that contract play into the other’s negotiations?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I enjoy watching Herbert play, he is definitely a gamer. But obviously I still take Joe Burrow every time.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
During the Chargers game they had a stat that said the Chargers have had 34 consecutive games where the QB has had 30+ Pass Attempts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The Chargers aren't helping Herbert by not having a speed receiver running down the field on every play forcing defenses to defend the entire field - because that dude has a magical arm. All their receivers seem like Tyler Boyd types.
Reply/Quote
Coming out of college I felt the two were a toss up on which to draft. Yet to me Burrow being an Ohio boy and Justin being a west coast guy was the tiebreaker and made it a no brainer for me.

Did not want another Carson fiasco paying the man a fortune only to have him hold us hostage to get back to the left coast.

Palmer even tried throwing gas on that fire in Burrow's first year even with sour ***** comments about Bengals. Never seen a man so ungrateful to the people that gave him over $100 million for very limited production.

Guess Carson and his supporters (which I was once was) feel vindicated because he won 1 single playoff game with an Az team that seems like featured one of the best defense in NFL and then went all Carson on them in the next game sending them home.

Anyway back on subject lol. This should be a great AFC playoff rivalry for years to come. In the end their playoff success against each other will determine what separates them imo.

Right now Joe is in the lead in my book.

The future of the NFL is so exciting with all these great QB's at the beginning of their careers and Burrow and Herbert are definitely amongst them. So happy to have Joe Burrow in Bengals stripes.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 11:20 AM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: The Chargers aren't helping Herbert by not having a speed receiver running down the field on every play forcing defenses to defend the entire field - because that dude has a magical arm.   All their receivers seem like Tyler Boyd types.

It's fun to wonder things like how much better Herbert would be with the Burrow's array of WRs, just the same as wondering how much more effective Burrow would be, having an Austin Ekeler in the backfield.

Mixon is a good back, but not nearly as electrifying as Ekeler.  Defenses must pay full attention to him on just about every play he's in the game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 06:43 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: They could have a rivalry, but it will be difficult because they have to finish the same standings on the years they don’t play each other’s divisions. That is why Manning and Brady always played because they all won their divisions every year. I have a hard time seeing Chargers win their division consistently with Mahomes. Depending how Burrow does against Mahomes and Allen this year, it may turn into a 3 headed rivalry especially if he beats them both.

Yep. Regular season is going to be tough. It's the high profile playoff H2Hs that could set it off. 

Just glad to have a QB that can put himself in that discussion.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 11:26 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Coming out of college I felt the two were a toss up on which to draft. Yet to me Burrow being an Ohio boy and Justin being a west coast guy was the tiebreaker and made it a no brainer for me.

Did not want another Carson fiasco paying the man a fortune only to have him hold us hostage to get back to the left coast.

Palmer even tried throwing gas on that fire in Burrow's first year even with sour ***** comments about Bengals. Never seen a man so ungrateful to the people that gave him over $100 million for very limited production.

Guess Carson and his supporters (which I was once was) feel vindicated because he won 1 single playoff game with an Az team that seems like featured one of the best defense in NFL and then went all Carson on them in the next game sending them home.

Anyway back on subject lol. This should be a great AFC playoff rivalry for years to come. In the end their playoff success against each other will determine what separates them imo.

Right now Joe is in the lead in my book.

The future of the NFL is so exciting with all these great QB's at the beginning of their careers and Burrow and Herbert are definitely amongst them. So happy to have Joe Burrow in Bengals stripes.

At the time, i didn't feel that way. Here's something interesting i found last night. A thread on a Chargers MB about Herbert. It goes back to when he was drafted. 200 pages long, but check out the first 6 pages or so. Literally, there was only one or two guys that were ok with them drafting him there. 

https://www.thepowderblues.com/forum/forum/los-angeles-chargers-forum-nfl-forum-padres-forum/the-los-angeles-chargers-forum/986548-justin-herbert-bolts-franchise-qb-official-discussion

Reply/Quote