Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow and the Bengals: Attacking false narratives
Pretty interesting article here from Sporting News that is definitely worth a read:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/joe-burrow-bengals-2020-nfl-draft/t0svd7e6nnyb16ngxhbzbh49e
Reply/Quote
Now, that's the way to shoot down all of the "fake news" stories floating around these days. Way to represent, Bill Bender of The Sporting News!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 03:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Pretty interesting article here from Sporting News that is definitely worth a read:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/joe-burrow-bengals-2020-nfl-draft/t0svd7e6nnyb16ngxhbzbh49e

Now this is more like it, common sense, Boomer handing Burrow a Bengals helmet etc.

Made me feel better than all these lying media pundits we have been hearing trying to create headlines.
Reply/Quote
This is just so very exhausting.

Radio Host: "Ooooooooh Burrow doesn't seem too excited to play for Cincinnati!!"

Why would he be? He's not from Cincinnati. He didn't grow up a Bengals fan. Burrow may have his own preferences about where he'd like to play if given the choice, but he's conducted himself nothing but professionally so far throughout this process. He knows it's not up to him, he's happy to be in the conversation for the #1 overall pick, and he'll play for whatever team pays him to play football. Those are words straight from his mouth and his father's mouth. There's nothing to misconstrue here unless you're just willfully stirring up shit for clicks.

So Burrow isn't a hardcore Bengals fan. He doesn't have to be. Just come here and win us some games. I can live with that. A lot of players in the NFL don't have the luxury of being drafted by their dream team. This is such a non-story.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Now this is more like it, common sense, Boomer handing Burrow a Bengals helmet etc.

Made me feel better than all these lying media pundits we have been hearing trying to create headlines.

They just need clicks, for their articles and where better than to talk about the best QB in college and everyone's favorite kicking bag the Bengals in the same sentence?  If anything, we should be enjoying all the extra publicity we are getting. Burrow will help us get come cred back that we been missing.
Reply/Quote
Love the story

But for goodness sake Mike Brown, take your head out of your but and spend some money on high quality free agents this year- because they are desperately needed and will show that you want to give Burrow the best possible chance.

( I still think they should have hired a coach with a proven track record like McCarthy but that ship has sailed most unfortunately)

Also hire some more scouts and build the fricking indoor facility.

Please get yourself out of the 1950s and into the 21st century.

Does anyone know if LSU has an indoor facility? I expect that they do.
Reply/Quote
It makes sense why he wouldn't want to be here. We don't pay for free agents or anything else really.
On the other hand it makes sense why he would want to be here hometown kid + chance to be the face of the Area for the next 50 years.
I wouldn't take anyone word though on anything yet still remarkably early in the process + the media is hearing something from someone in his camp about this. Seriously doubt Florio, King, and Dan Patrick would be just making this up. It could be coming from one of his agents or from someone in the agency.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSU_Indoor_Practice_Facility

Here is the answer to my question.

Built in 1991 !!!

The point of this- he is coming from two first class football operations and does not need to go to a bush league group that won't even invest in an indoor facility.

I am also very concerned that the quality of coaching at LSU is on a higher level and more sophisticated.

These are the reasons why an elite player would prefer to play some where else.
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately over the last decade or so, and it just keeps getting worse, the news and the truth have taken separate paths. It's all about clickbait today as has been said.

Good to see a sensible take.
Reply/Quote
The BEST player goes to to where he is most needed because they were WORST. Who does not know that?
Reply/Quote
Burrow isn't going to hold out so he's a Bengal whether he's fired up about it or not. With that being said, I can see why a player wouldn't be over the moon about going #1 when the Bengals, Browns, Lions or any other team that hasn't won a playoff game in his lifetime are making the pick. This whole "not wanting to go to Cincy" narrative only holds water because MB hasn't changed much since the last time we were 2-14 and picking a QB at #1.
Reply/Quote
I don’t get why fans get upset when the media and guys like Palmer complain about the same things us fans complain about when it comes to the Bengals. It gets annoying and sucks our team is a laughing stock but it’s warranted. I look at the bad press and embarrassment in the media as a good thing that might put pressure on the Bengals to change along with all time low ticket sales. We don’t have many other options as fans just have to shame the Bengals into changing or don’t buy tickets. I don’t think Burrow will hold out but I could see him getting frustrated with the organization into his playing career if things don’t change like many other Bengals players have.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 03:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Pretty interesting article here from Sporting News that is definitely worth a read:

Great article. They make a ton of sense. We have had a lot of highly successful QBs here. 

Palmer was the only one that didn't live up to the hype as a savior, as we never won a super bowl with him. Granted our defense didn't come around until he left. But he wasn't the next Peyton Manning either. His decision making/vision/pocket presence were all Cs. He didn't understand the game like the true greats do. His arm strength and accuracy were As, but he wasn't throwing guys open like Burrow does, either. 

Burrow is a great QB to build around. Hoping they finally get the offensive line figured out by the end of next year. 
Reply/Quote
Look, Joe Burrow has not came out and said “I would love to be a Bengal and play for Cincinnati” He has been extremely cryptic and calculated with his words. You can tell he’s been given his talking points from his agent. I fully believe Burrow is waiting until after free agency begins on 3/18 to see what the Bengals ACTUALLY DO. If they show a willingness to bring in difference makers and not bottom of the barrel backups, then I think you will hear Burrow actually say he wants to be a Bengal. If not....... I think Burrow demands not to be drafted by the Bengals. Unfortunately, Mike Brown has created this situation that we now must deal with whenever a generational talent is in our grasp.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 06:06 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Look, Joe Burrow has not came out and said “I would love to be a Bengal and play for Cincinnati” He has been extremely cryptic and calculated with his words. You can tell he’s been given his talking points from his agent. I fully believe Burrow is waiting until after free agency begins on 3/18 to see what the Bengals ACTUALLY DO. If they show a willingness to bring in difference makers and not bottom of the barrel backups, then I think you will hear Burrow actually say he wants to be a Bengal. If not....... I think Burrow demands not to be drafted by the Bengals. Unfortunately, Mike Brown has created this situation that we now must deal with whenever a generational talent is in our grasp.

100% speculation. Could be true. Could be false. 

Regardless, lets bring in a good Free agent Guard/Tackle that can help the offensive line overhaul. 

It could be that we are not his first choice as we have been mediocre for such a long time and the perception is our front office can't get it done. When you look at how our FO let our offensive line fall apart, that would be case in point. That doesn't mean he would refuse to play here. It may mean that he may not resign if after a couple years its not working out. But again, 100% speculation on my part, too.
Reply/Quote
If I were Joe Burrow and got drafted by the Bengals, the leader in me would challenge the FO to prove me wrong. I would be pushing my team-mates to be better. I would be pushing the FO to make moves and develop a winner. I would be pushing myself to be the best I can be. If I didn't like what I saw after a couple years I'd tell them I want out after a couple years, but continue to play until Free Agency. It's on ownership to not let that scenario happen, in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
It comes down to having a sit down with him before the draft and making sure its a good fit. If he didn't want to play here, I'd draft Chase Young and be really happy about drafting Chase Young. Or you could trade back and pick Simmons and an offensive tackle.

Again, just talk to the guy. What does he want from them to make it work. We won't know for a couple months what the results of those conversations are. But I would assume by the kind of player and leader and competitor he is, he would be willing to give it a try.
Reply/Quote
This is certainly not how we drew up this offseason. But welcome to the pre (post) Marvin Bengals. Where we can't even enjoy getting the top pick and QB without unnecessary drama and negative press.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 03:57 PM)J24 Wrote: It makes sense why he wouldn't want to be here. We don't pay for free agents or anything else really.
On the other hand it makes sense why he would want to be here hometown kid + chance to be the face of the Area for the next 50 years.
I wouldn't take anyone word though on anything yet still remarkably early in the process + the media is hearing something from someone in his camp about this. Seriously doubt Florio, King, and Dan Patrick would be just making this up. It could be coming from one of his agents or from someone in the agency.

Click bait so the bigger the story (fake in many cases), the more clicks. No clicks to say Burrow will do as almost all before him did, sign with the Bengals after going #1 in draft. That is expected so boring and no clicks.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
While I think the talk of Cincy ruining Burrow is a bit much, this article is probably clickbait for people who want to hear that Cincy isn't hell on earth. It's all off-season time wasting sure, but how many NFL franchises have the same GM picking multiple high QBs with zero playoff wins in the process? Cincy isn't the worst franchise or the least successful one, but we certainly are the least successful one that refuses to change anything.

So when you have the same owner/GM with the same approach as you did when Boomer and Carson wanted out and when you picked Akili Smith or took John Ross over the current SB MVP then you are just begging for this sort of knock against you. But hey, Mike Brown is clearly immune to criticism and Burrow isn't buying the fear mongering so it's all moot.
Reply/Quote