Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow and the Bengals: Attacking false narratives
(02-06-2020, 06:06 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Look, Joe Burrow has not came out and said “I would love to be a Bengal and play for Cincinnati” He has been extremely cryptic and calculated with his words. You can tell he’s been given his talking points from his agent. I fully believe Burrow is waiting until after free agency begins on 3/18 to see what the Bengals ACTUALLY DO. If they show a willingness to bring in difference makers and not bottom of the barrel backups, then I think you will hear Burrow actually say he wants to be a Bengal. If not....... I think Burrow demands not to be drafted by the Bengals. Unfortunately, Mike Brown has created this situation that we now must deal with whenever a generational talent is in our grasp.

Not going to happen, not good for him at all and why would he say I would love to be a Bengal and play for Cincy?

He doesn't need to at this juncture. At this juncture he is saying all the right things and hopefully it hits home with Mikey
and company. He will need help, he knows it, we know it and he is letting Mikey and company know it. 

Burrow will play regardless, the dude is a baller and will be beyond happy to be the first overall pick. Especially as he is 
close to home and his Mom and Dad won't have to go far to watch him play.

(02-06-2020, 06:18 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: If I were Joe Burrow and got drafted by the Bengals, the leader in me would challenge the FO to prove me wrong. I would be pushing my team-mates to be better. I would be pushing the FO to make moves and develop a winner. I would be pushing myself to be the best I can be. If I didn't like what I saw after a couple years I'd tell them I want out after a couple years, but continue to play until Free Agency. It's on ownership to not let that scenario happen, in my opinion.

This actually sounds like Burrow, just like the OP does. He has a fire deep down inside to prove the doubters wrong.

He is a leader, he pushes his teammates to be better and wants and strives to be the best.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 07:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This actually sounds like Burrow, just like the OP does. He has a fire deep down inside to prove the doubters wrong.

He is a leader, he pushes his teammates to be better and wants and strives to be the best.

No one doubts Burrow, everyone doubts the owner/GM who has been in charge of everything for almost 30 years and has nothing more than seven shiny "12th place" trophies to show for it.  Joe Burrow hasn't even been drafted by the Bengals and we are already dying to rubberband him to the very well earned doubt the media, non-Bengals fans, and most Bengals fans have in Mike Brown.

We've flown under the media's radar for the past 4 years by being irrelevant and now that we are relevant by finishing dead last the media echoing our own repeated complaints about our organization has become a slap in the face to us.  So it goes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 07:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not going to happen, not good for him at all and why would he say I would love to be a Bengal and play for Cincy?

He doesn't need to at this juncture. At this juncture he is saying all the right things and hopefully it hits home with Mikey
and company. He will need help, he knows it, we know it and he is letting Mikey and company know it. 

Burrow will play regardless, the dude is a baller and will be beyond happy to be the first overall pick. Especially as he is 
close to home and his Mom and Dad won't have to go far to watch him play.

This actually sounds like Burrow, just like the OP does. He has a fire deep down inside to prove the doubters wrong.

Why would it not be “good for him” to say he wants to play for the team that is going draft him? Explain?
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 08:06 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Why would it not be “good for him” to say he wants to play for the team that is going draft him? Explain?

Because he does not know he will be drafted by the Bengals until it happens. If he says he wants to play for the Bengals and they end up trading the first pick to Miami the first questions out of the Dolphins media would be "But didnt you say you wanted to play for the Bengals?"

Not saying this will happen and would hate to see it happen but Joe Burrow just needs to continue do what hes doing until his name is called on draft day.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 08:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Because he does not know he will be drafted by the Bengals until it happens. If he says he wants to play for the Bengals and they end up trading the first pick to Miami the first questions out of the Dolphins media would be "But didnt you say you wanted to play for the Bengals?"

Not saying this will happen and would hate to see it happen but Joe Burrow just needs to continue do what hes doing until his name is called on draft day.

That makes sense, but he's a lock for the Bengals and I don't think stuff like that really matters.  I recall both Mayfield and Darnold making some "I wanna play for the Browns" style statements prior to the draft and I don't think the Jets are going to hold that against Darnold. 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 08:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No one doubts Burrow, everyone doubts the owner/GM who has been in charge of everything for almost 30 years and has nothing more than seven shiny "12th place" trophies to show for it.  Joe Burrow hasn't even been drafted by the Bengals and we are already dying to rubberband him to the very well earned doubt the media, non-Bengals fans, and most Bengals fans have in Mike Brown.

We've flown under the media's radar for the past 4 years by being irrelevant and now that we are relevant by finishing dead last the media echoing our own repeated complaints about our organization has become a slap in the face to us.  So it goes.

Just a couple years ago Burrow was pondering a career outside of football.

I know our owner can be cheap at times but to go from pondering being a bidness man in the private sector to a first overall
pick in the NFL Draft is something Burrow and his family will love regardless of where he goes. Nice that his family is close as 
well to watch him play in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 08:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just a couple years ago Burrow was pondering a career outside of football.

I know our owner can be cheap at times but to go from pondering being a bidness man in the private sector to a first overall
pick in the NFL Draft is something Burrow and his family will love regardless of where he goes. Nice that his family is close as 
well to watch him play in the NFL.

It'd make a good lifetime movie, but that doesn't mean he can drag MB kicking and screaming to football relevance.  Then again THAT would make a great movie!  *Narrator voice* An octogenarian who doesn't want to win has finally met his match in a millennial who REFUSES TO LOSE!

Cue the odd couple music.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 08:06 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Why would it not be “good for him” to say he wants to play for the team that is going draft him? Explain?

(02-06-2020, 08:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Because he does not know he will be drafted by the Bengals until it happens. If he says he wants to play for the Bengals and they end up trading the first pick to Miami the first questions out of the Dolphins media would be "But didnt you say you wanted to play for the Bengals?"

This and we have probably the most stubborn owner in football and if Burrow refused to play for the Bengals MB would 
make him pay. Just the way he is, not good for anyone that is a Bengal fan or Burrow to refuse to play, it would be dumb
honestly and I don't find Burrow to be dumb at all. Dude is extremely smart.
Reply/Quote

Then he says, Yep, but they didn’t want me and you did....so let’s go win a Super Bowl. I would have no problem with that if I was a Miami fan.
Reply/Quote
Besides losing some of his early playing years, does Joe Burrow really have anything to lose by coming to Cincinnati? If he comes here and he plays terrible, the media blames the Bengals and he signs on somewhere else in 4-5 years. He can even go to that Super Bowl contending, QB manufacturing machine I keep hearing about down in Miami if he wants to. If he comes here and actually wins a Super Bowl? He becomes a legend. If he comes here and wins multiple Super Bowls? He probably goes down as one of the best of all time. From a competitor’s stand point it actually doesn’t look that bad.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 08:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This and we have probably the most stubborn owner in football and if Burrow refused to play for the Bengals MB would 
make him pay. Just the way he is, not good for anyone that is a Bengal fan or Burrow to refuse to play, it would be dumb
honestly and I don't find Burrow to be dumb at all. Dude is extremely smart.

That's what is sort of scary about the situation.  Burrow might be smart enough to realize that Mike Brown is "the immovable object" and any attempts to shake up the system or demands to run this place in a more proactive manner are going to lead to trouble.  Burrow seems smart enough to not rock the boat, but that also seems like it clashes with his cocky "gotta win" attitude.  Should be interesting, either way.
Reply/Quote
I ,for one ,hope he kicks the door down and tells MB to change or else he won't give his best if the FO doesn't get him help. Palmer could have done this instead of turning and running off with his tail between his legs.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:39 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I ,for one ,hope he kicks the door down and tells MB to change or else he won't give his best if the FO doesn't get him help. Palmer could have done this instead of turning and running off with his tail between his legs.

There is no way in hell a player like Burrow would go out there and not give his best on the field.

And I’m not sure why anyone would want a guy that would.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 06:06 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Look, Joe Burrow has not came out and said “I would love to be a Bengal and play for Cincinnati” He has been extremely cryptic and calculated with his words. You can tell he’s been given his talking points from his agent. I fully believe Burrow is waiting until after free agency begins on 3/18 to see what the Bengals ACTUALLY DO. If they show a willingness to bring in difference makers and not bottom of the barrel backups, then I think you will hear Burrow actually say he wants to be a Bengal. If not....... I think Burrow demands not to be drafted by the Bengals. Unfortunately, Mike Brown has created this situation that we now must deal with whenever a generational talent is in our grasp.

Why would he? That would be a cloudover him if we trade the pick.

Jilted Joe burned by Bengals
Reply/Quote
I don't understand why national media are hating on the Bengals. Palmer is a quitter and I understand his grind but others seem to be reaching the point of irrationality.

Browns ruin QB not Bengals.

The franchise needs a GM and bigger scouting department. Brown needs to go. I understand these. Dalton has done quite well here. But if Burrow is selected, the team needs to fix the OL. Run the ball.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There is no way in hell a player like Burrow would go out there and not give his best on the field.

And I’m not sure why anyone would want a guy that would.

They players have leverage. The real leaders lead om and off the field. God only knows that is what we need to spur MB into action.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:51 PM)Benton Wrote: Why would he? That would be a cloudover him if we trade the pick.

Jilted Joe burned by Bengals

I’ll take a player with a HUGE chip on his shoulder with something to prove any day.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:55 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: They players have leverage. The real leaders lead om and off the field. God only knows that is what we need to spur MB into action.

We’ve seen this story before. Carson didn’t get Mike to change, neither will Joe.

Reply/Quote
This article is spot on.

For a franchise that ruins quarterbacks, it's pretty crazy we've had 2 main starters over the past 17 years.

Not to mention, if we 'ruin' QBs... then isn't Andy Dalton really really good? This entire premise contradicts their main Bengal storyline.....
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:39 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I ,for one ,hope he kicks the door down and tells MB to change or else he won't give his best if the FO doesn't get him help. Palmer could have done this instead of turning and running off with his tail between his legs.

So what is Burrow going to do if he demands change and MB says no?
Reply/Quote