Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
Joe Burrow injury updates
(08-31-2023, 06:10 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Refs screwed us on the last drive against Chargers on his debut

Missed pat last season cost us against the steelers.

Let’s not make out that Burrow is a slow starter because it’s almost laughable.

We don't have to blindly defend a player just because we really like him. Burrow is a slow starter. Now, that particular statement can be a bit misleading as it isn't all his fault and there are a lot of factors involved, but he has been quite poor in the first two weeks of the season throughout his career. He has a 64% completion percentage with 10 TDs and eight interceptions. He has a passer rating of 81. His YPA is 6.2. 

It's okay to point that out and discuss it without it being "almost laughable". It's part of the reason why some fans have been pounding the table about starters getting reps in the pre-season, and why many have talked about Burrow "never having a normal training camp". He always ends up having something that takes him out of commission during camp, or something that limits him in camp and he seems a bit uncomfortable the first couple of weeks. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 06:30 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: We don't have to blindly defend a player just because we really like him. Burrow is a slow starter. Now, that particular statement can be a bit misleading as it isn't all his fault and there are a lot of factors involved, but he has been quite poor in the first two weeks of the season throughout his career. He has a 64% completion percentage with 10 TDs and eight interceptions. He has a passer rating of 81. His YPA is 6.2. 

It's okay to point that out and discuss it without it being "almost laughable". It's part of the reason why some fans have been pounding the table about starters getting reps in the pre-season, and why many have talked about Burrow "never having a normal training camp". He always ends up having something that takes him out of commission during camp, or something that limits him in camp and he seems a bit uncomfortable the first couple of weeks. 

How did Mahommes do against the Bucs in 2021 Super Bowl loss 31-9? How did his offensive line do? Did Mahommes become a horrible QB after having a great season?

My point is our OL has also started very slow the past few years. One of the greatest QB's of all time MaHommes was too busy running for his life in 2021 Super Bowl. I would argue Joey B. was harassed by the Steelers in 2022, but Joey B. still almost won the game, if not for an injury to Clark Harris, likely we kick the extra point and beat Steelers in regulation.

That game showed me that Burrow's horrid days are better than some NFL QB's  best days. He throws a pick 6 and I believe 3 interceptions against a very good Steeler's defense, yet puts team in a position to win the game. I would guess many would not even remember that game a year ago if we won. I believe we also gave up 7 sacks, I am hopeful our OL plays much better too against the Browns, if so, I think Joey B. will be fine.

Our opening 2 games will not be easy, 2 very good defenses waiting for us.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 06:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How did Mahommes do against the Bucs in 2021 Super Bowl loss 31-9? How did his offensive line do? Did Mahommes become a horrible QB after having a great season?

My point is our OL has also started very slow the past few years. One of the greatest QB's of all time MaHommes was too busy running for his life in 2021 Super Bowl. I would argue Joey B. was harassed by the Steelers in 2022, but Joey B. still almost won the game, if not for an injury to Clark Harris, likely we kick the extra point and beat Steelers in regulation.

That game showed me that Burrow's horrid days are better than some NFL QB's  best days. He throws a pick 6 and I believe 3 interceptions against a very good Steeler's defense, yet puts team in a position to win the game. I would guess many would not even remember that game a year ago if we won. I believe we also gave up 7 sacks, I am hopeful our OL plays much better too against the Browns, if so, I think Joey B. will be fine.

To your point, I will quote this from my previous post...

Quote:Now, that particular statement can be a bit misleading as it isn't all his fault and there are a lot of factors involved

Yes, he has dealt with some bad offensive lines. But the difference between those first few weeks vs. the rest is quite stark. Is it random coincidence? Sure, it could be. It is a small sample size, but it's there. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 06:48 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: To your point, I will quote this from my previous post...

Yes, he has dealt with some bad offensive lines. But the difference between those first few weeks vs. the rest is quite stark. Is it random coincidence? Sure, it could be. It is a small sample size, but it's there. 

Maybe if we can start a season with the same line it might help. Last year 4 new starter. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 06:54 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Maybe if we can start a season with the same line it might help. Last year 4 new starter. 

Yeah, there were several things that made it tough last year. Completely new line, essentially. Joe had an emergency appendectomy and lost a bunch of weight. Very limited reps as a unit. It just made it very tough. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 04:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm sure he did but hopefully he's just keeping himself up to speed and in game-shape and not actually pushing himself because we know he doesn't need practice. 

I would disagree he does need practice,  his stats have not been great in those early games , not sure how we can ignore that missing practice is a correlation. Also he has to demonstrate he is recovered enough to play,  so he needs to show that in a practice before he rolls out there against  Browns.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 06:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How did Mahommes do against the Bucs in 2021 Super Bowl loss 31-9? How did his offensive line do? Did Mahommes become a horrible QB after having a great season?

No one suggested JB became a horrible QB. Why do we do this?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

He had five turnovers against the Stoolers. You can't do that and win if you're playing behind the 83 Hogs. We still almost won. The line played poorly, but so did he.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Burrow is a tough read.

Worst case scenario he injury prone.

Best case scenario he got a case of Big Ben in him and loves the miraculous return.

They’ve been pretty dramatic. Supposedly his teammates didn't even know he was returning to practice.

Ben made a living supposedly playing with broken knees, elbows, ankles you name it he had it post game. Even Tomlin had to roll his eyes at times.

Hell we was so sick of the act we threw trash at him while he was being carted out as the announcers slammed the crowd and read his career eulogy as if it was over. Fools. We knew he’d be back for the forth quarter running wild on the supposedly injured knee and junking Bengals players for big plays down the field.

Burrow may just have a little extra with his returns. Or with his injuries. He did come out to practice in a cart last year. And an IV if you let the folklore tell it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I know I've said the same thing over and over, but he had his appendix removed and went to the AFC Championship, knee shredded and went to the Super Bowl. Not doubting this man until he gives me reason to.

Practice is important, even for Burrow. A reason I'm lesson concern is he has known his receivers his entire NFL career or longer and Mixon. Adding in playoffs, they all have spent a bunch of time together. O-line is who needs to camp out together....as always.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 10:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow is a tough read.

Worst case scenario he injury prone.

Best case scenario he got a case of Big Ben in him and loves the miraculous return.

They’ve been pretty dramatic. Supposedly his teammates didn't even know he was returning to practice.

Ben made a living supposedly playing with broken knees, elbows, ankles you name it he had it post game. Even Tomlin had to roll his eyes at times.

Hell we was so sick of the act we threw trash at him while he was being carted out as the announcers slammed the crowd and read his career eulogy as if it was over. Fools. We knew he’d be back for the forth quarter running wild on the supposedly injured knee and junking Bengals players for big plays down the field.

Burrow may just have a little extra with his returns. Or with his injuries. He did come out to practice in a cart last year. And an IV if you let the folklore tell it.
I don't think he is injury prone. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 06:10 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Refs screwed us on the last drive against Chargers on his debut

Record says otherwise, but I do see your point in that some of the losses were just as fluky as our one win.
Reply/Quote

We may have lost out on Chase if the refs didn't screw us in that game.  We can even think back to how we needed to lose almost all 6 of our close loses in 2020 to even get Burrow.  We are a few "good bounces" and "good calls" from seeing Burrow and Chase paired up in Miami or Detroit.

Losing had purpose then, at least.  Ok, let's stop losing now that we've lost enough.

[Image: f5967b00-0d91-4b57-bcb0-e78bee46bf3c_text.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 11:53 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't think he is injury prone. 

Ossai just got the injury prone label from the board.....

So has Jonah, and many other players. I know we love Burrow but, why the difference?

I'm not sure if he's "injury prone", but every summer it's been something dating back to 2017. That's a lot if we can speak freely on it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 12:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ossai just got the injury prone label from the board.....

So has Jonah, and many other players. I know we love Burrow but, why the difference?

I'm not sure if he's "injury prone", but every summer it's been something dating back to 2017. That's a lot if we can speak freely on it.

To me, one is injury prone in sports if they get a lot of injuries that cause them to miss a lot of games. Aside from his rookie season, Burrow has not missed many games (knock on wood). So, even though he's yet to have a "normal" offseason/training camp, I would still not label him as "injury prone".

Adding to my opinion is the fact that one of his "injuries" is an appendicitis, not exactly something Burrow got while playing/practicing. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 10:05 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Only about a week and a half away from the opener now.
Dianna Russini may have ended up being right all along.
We'll see come next week.

Not to call you out, but to comment on her.  No, it still appears she was full of crap. Bayless, Smith, Rome, Cowherd, etc are sports entertainers. Their job is to create drama to attract eyeballs to generate revenue.  I doubt they believe half of what they say on air. Russini established herself in that group, also.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 01:03 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To me, one is injury prone in sports if they get a lot of injuries that cause them to miss a lot of games. Aside from his rookie season, Burrow has not missed many games (knock on wood). So, even though he's yet to have a "normal" offseason/training camp, I would still not label him as "injury prone".

Adding to my opinion is the fact that one of his "injuries" is an appendicitis, not exactly something Burrow got while playing/practicing. 

Feel the same way, well said PhilHos. Burrow isn't injury prone, he just needs to have some things go his way for once in an 
Offseason. It will help having a better OL in front of him and the way Zac goes about things, I don't believe in luck but there 
have been what you could call some unlucky instances in Burrow's career so far that have prevented him from being as good 
as he really could be.

Hopefully this is the year everything falls into place and things go smoothly for once.

(09-01-2023, 03:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Not to call you out, but to comment on her.  No, it still appears she was full of crap. Bayless, Smith, Rome, Cowherd, etc are sports entertainers. Their job is to create drama to attract eyeballs to generate revenue.  I doubt they believe half of what they say on air. Russini established herself in that group, also.

Yep, Russini was full of crap and just ran with it with nothing to back up saying Burrow was going to miss a lot of games early this season.

I lost respect for her. Reminds me of the stealer fan analysts who were just hoping Burrow would miss time. They say it in the hope that it 
comes true while living in their fantasy world. Nice to see, as the shoe is on the other foot now with them hoping for us to fail instead of 
the other way around like it was for so many years.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 03:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Not to call you out, but to comment on her.  No, it still appears she was full of crap. Bayless, Smith, Rome, Cowherd, etc are sports entertainers. Their job is to create drama to attract eyeballs to generate revenue.  I doubt they believe half of what they say on air. Russini established herself in that group, also.

I don't take anyone who gets paid to talk about anything all day too seriously, and I don't take everything they say to heart.  They have jobs to keep people engaged for their sponsors...let's be honest, no one is going to listen to a show where people say "Hey, we don't know yet, let's just wait and see."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 12:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ossai just got the injury prone label from the board.....

I couldn't say it better than Philhos wrote. Jonah and Joseph have entire seasons wiped out.  I am hoping that we get Joseph back asap because I think big things are coming for him. I was never on the Jonah wagon, however he played thru some serious injuries last year and I applaud him for that. 
Reply/Quote

How many regular/post season games has he missed?

The injury prone label gets thrown at people that miss games, not people that just get hurt. They all get hurt, all the time. 

I wish some of you (not pointed at you just the general sense i'm getting reading some threads the last few days) would learn to ***** use context so i don't have to read all the stupid ass posts that happen around here too much. 

EDIT: I probably should have just made this a stand alone post.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote