Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Joe Burrow is Tony Romo with elite fundamentals and the clutch gene
If you guys remember Romo was never known for having an insane arm or being Mike Vick athletically. But he was always a top 3 escape artist in the league and he was very accurate. He just never won the big one.

When i look at Burrow i don’t see the patience of Brady. I don’t see the surgical preparation of Manning. I see Tony Romo if Tony Romo has all his mechanics figured out and if Romo was clutch. Burrow also has an insane ability to not fumble in the pocket. Guys can be coming in on him in every direction and his ball security is so good you are never afraid of him getting the ball knocked loose.

To me that is a top 10 QB of all time. We are way to far away to put that label on Burrow but i can’t think of a better 1 for 1 comparison.

Does anyone have a better 1 for 1 comparison?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
It's cliche, but I think the most apt comparison is Montana. Brees also fits well. Peyton too (I think there's more in his preparation than meets the eye). I never thought Brady was a good comparison.

I can see the case for Romo. It just means you have to add that caveat -- Romo but better.
Reply/Quote
So, let me get this straight.

Joe Burrow is like Tony Romo, but only if Romo had mechanics figured out, was clutch and won playoff games. 

So...he's not like Romo at all?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 07:43 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: It's cliche, but I think the most apt comparison is Montana. Brees also fits well. Peyton too (I think there's more in his preparation than meets the eye). I never thought Brady was a good comparison.

I can see the case for Romo. It just means you have to add that caveat -- Romo but better.

Yeah the pocket footwork and accuracy on the run were big traits i saw as comparable. I was looking at Romos pocket escapes and it was like someone put Burrow in a Cowboys jersey. The shoulders and movements look exactly the same. Romo has a bit more Mahommes in him with the crazy passes but Burrow i think is better at sticking to reads under pressure e
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 07:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, let me get this straight.

Joe Burrow is like Tony Romo, but only if Romo had mechanics figured out, was clutch and won playoff games. 

I think it’s as good a 1 for 1 comparison as you can possibly make if you are indeed trying to do a 1 for 1 comparison
-Housh
Reply/Quote
For modern QBs, Burrow has a similar playstyle to a guy like Ryan Tannehill. Average arms, with strong accuracy and sufficient mobility to extend plays or hurt you occasionally. Burrow is much more likely to take off and run than Romo was, but that is also partly due to necessity. He had a pre-draft comparison of Kurt Warner, but Warner wasn't as mobile as Burrow is. Baker Mayfield is another guy who profiles similar to Burrow in athleticism but has a little more arm strength than Burrow does. In my opinion, Tannehill is the best comparison for guys currently in the league. It starts getting murkier the further back you go because QBs weren't as likely to fall in this mid-range of mobility like Burrow is.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 07:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, let me get this straight.

This sums up what I wanted to post.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 08:30 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: For modern QBs, Burrow has a similar playstyle to a guy like Ryan Tannehill. Average arms, with strong accuracy and sufficient mobility to extend plays or hurt you occasionally. Burrow is much more likely to take off and run than Romo was, but that is also partly due to necessity. He had a pre-draft comparison of Kurt Warner, but Warner wasn't as mobile as Burrow is. Baker Mayfield is another guy who profiles similar to Burrow in athleticism but has a little more arm strength than Burrow does. In my opinion, Tannehill is the best comparison for guys currently in the league. It starts getting murkier the further back you go because QBs weren't as likely to fall in this mid-range of mobility like Burrow is.

Yep. My very first view of Burrow during the 2019 college season was "I'm not sure he's a #1 overall pick, he looks a lot like Tannehill to me."

Once I saw him in the SEC championship and playoffs I chugged the kool-aid.
Reply/Quote
Two quarterbacks can play within reasonably similar profiles while being vastly different in ability. I don't think there's anything silly about the Romo comparison.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 08:38 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Yep. My very first view of Burrow during the 2019 college season was "I'm not sure he's a #1 overall pick, he looks a lot like Tannehill to me."

Yeah, that was who I saw as well. A more refined version, of course, but their game is very similar. Tannehill is a little stronger athletically.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 08:32 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: This sums up what I wanted to post.

Throw out your best 1 for 1 comparison then?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Montana for me.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
From Burrow himself (on being compared to Brady):

"I don't really pay attention to it. He's Tom and I'm Joe," Burrow said after Wednesday's practice, via the Bengals' official site. "I really just think that I play the game my own way. I kind of have a little bit of everybody. I wouldn't say there's one thing I do the best. But I would say that I do everything with the best of them. I wouldn't say I really have a glaring weakness."

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 08:53 PM)Housh Wrote: Throw out your best 1 for 1 comparison then?

I'm with the Montana crowd.

Your post just reads awkward to me trying to prop up Burrow by saying he doesn't suck like Romo.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Joe is anything like Romo honestly. Joe is way more athletic than Romo, a lot smarter and not a total D-bag like Romo...Plus he throws a way better ball than Romo
Reply/Quote
Montana, Brady and P Manning because of accuracy and QB IQ. Michael Vick is probably the most physically gifted QB of all time if you combine running ability and arm strength. It was insane to watch him play sometimes. The three I mentioned are on the other end of the spectrum. No absurd physical ability (relatively speaking) but off the charts mentally.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 08:38 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Yep. My very first view of Burrow during the 2019 college season was "I'm not sure he's a #1 overall pick, he looks a lot like Tannehill to me."

I saw him come off the bench the last time I went to an Ohio State game in 2016. They thumped Nebraska, and Burrow came in for clean up duty in the second half. I had him pegged for a used car salesman in the Columbus area myself. I totally concur with your assessment of him in 2019. I was skeptical, but he erased all doubt during the playoff.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 07:41 PM)Housh Wrote: If you guys remember Romo was never known for having an insane arm or being Mike Vick athletically. But he was always a top 3 escape artist in the league and he was very accurate. He just never won the big one.

When i look at Burrow i don’t see the patience of Brady. I don’t see the surgical preparation of Manning. I see Tony Romo if Tony Romo has all his mechanics figured out and if Romo was clutch. Burrow also has an insane ability to not fumble in the pocket. Guys can be coming in on him in every direction and his ball security is so good you are never afraid of him getting the ball knocked loose.

To me that is a top 10 QB of all time. We are way to far away to put that label on Burrow but i can’t think of a better 1 for 1 comparison.

Does anyone have a better 1 for 1 comparison?

I love Burrow and think he's a great QB. I don't mean this as a bash at all, but can he really be considered a clutch QB? At least when it comes to the NFL and playoffs. Obviously the oline puts a huge weight on his ability to do that but he's really struggled to win/close out games in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
A wealthy man's Tony Romo would be a good comparison, yea.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 12:38 AM)TheFan Wrote: I love Burrow and think he's a great QB. I don't mean this as a bash at all, but can he really be considered a clutch QB? At least when it comes to the NFL and playoffs. Obviously the oline puts a huge weight on his ability to do that but he's really struggled to win/close out games in the playoffs.

Someone got the count on how many games he threw the go ahead TD in and the D couldnt keep teams off the board to end it?

From what I remember Burrow is insanely clutch
-Housh
Reply/Quote