Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow throwing the middle of the field
(10-10-2022, 12:15 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Also got intercepted when he threw over the middle right to the defender. Worst time he could do that as they had just stopped Balt. on downs.

Yes, that was bad. He forced it to Chase for some reason. Maybe Chase is getting frustrated with his lack of touches, so the gameplan was to feed him. But sometimes the defense just doesn't allow that. You have to take what they give you. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:40 PM)Garrus Wrote: Yes, that was bad. He forced it to Chase for some reason. Maybe Chase is getting frustrated with his lack of touches, so the gameplan was to feed him. But sometimes the defense just doesn't allow that. You have to take what they give you. 

Chase has been visibly frustrated. You can tell. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Chase has been visibly frustrated. You can tell. 

He thought this year would be as easy as last year, and now he is being doubled almost all the time. He's just going to ha e to get used to it.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He thought this year would be as easy as last year, and now he is being doubled almost all the time. He's just going to ha e to get used to it.

You would think that ZT, BC and the WRs coach 
In the offseason would have anticipated that Chase 
Was going to face more bracket coverage in the 2022
Season and been more prepared to combat the 
Cover 2 coverages
It's Like it took ZT and BC off guard with their mouths 
Agape. "OH wow they are actually doubling Chase "
I see a failure to coach Chase up regarding beating
Double teams 
Reply/Quote
Thanks for that Weezy, interesting stuff. The good thing is this can all be improved upon.

I am sure Burrow and the Offensive coaching staff will be looking at all these factors and work on taking
advantage of these 2 high safety looks as teams will be using them more on us after this game. It clearly
affected Burrow and our passing game. Still, not anything Burrow hasn't seen before.

I trust he will figure it out. Chase will also have to start beating the double teams, that is all.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for that Weezy, interesting stuff. The good thing is this can all be improved upon.

I am sure Burrow and the Offensive coaching staff will be looking at all these factors and work on taking
advantage of these 2 high safety looks as teams will be using them more on us after this game. It clearly
affected Burrow and our passing game. Still, not anything Burrow hasn't seen before.

I trust he will figure it out. Chase will also have to start beating the double teams, that is all.

Teams have been using it since the superbowl. Obviously they aren't smart enough to beat it..
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:48 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I like emphasizing Chase, but the defense caught on REAL quick, and we kept trying to do it. 

They need to emphasize Chase but be more creative in doing so. You can only throw the ball quick to the outside so many times. I think they beat that play to death last night.

Did a dive into the tape,  really have first series, he had two other screen/quick passes the rest of game, overall it was effective enough 2 first down, and really one was looking good but Burrow throw too quick, gave Williams no chance to get out there.  Once Higgins went out, he really became the main outside WR most of the time single Wr, so if you look at the routes and positions, he had a variety of different routes with catches and incompletes.  Interesting though as i watched the tape, it confirmed what i saw live and replay, he ran a bad route on INT and  i was surprised last year he really blocked hard on runs, last night he did not.. he seems a bit complacent on the run plays. 

1. First play bubble screen for 11
2. Quick pass with boyd in slot, -1
3. Outside WR stop and curl, inc
4.  in backfield sweep no gain
5.  in backfield, a bit of a flair/wheel route, inc but should have been a hold, he was open
6. in bunch, motioned across, turn up down seam, ran a bad route really, he bent the route should have cut it off,  INT
7. single high WR, pass interference on a nice release down field
8. single high again, he ran inside outside release about 10 or so yards, Burrow throw back shoulder, Chase still running
9  bunch screen, Burrow threw too fast, never game Williams ability to get out to block look possible going for yards but no gain
10. playing slot inside release slant, for 11
11 single high WR, threw deep down the line, inc
12. 3 Wr set, he was in middle quick pas, 1st down , cb makes a good play was close to breaking that one
13. single high WR, come back for 6
14. single high Wr, back shoulder, made a nice adjustment to catch inside 12 yards
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He thought this year would be as easy as last year, and now he is being doubled almost all the time. He's just going to ha e to get used to it.

he should dial up his Buddy Justin Jefferson and ask him how his team does it with him
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for that Weezy, interesting stuff. The good thing is this can all be improved upon.

What makes you have faith that he and the coaching staff will figure it out? It was talked about all off-season how they're going to get a lot of 2 high looks because that's how teams played them and stopped them last year when used. 

Through 5 games we've got a lot of 2 high looks and still have not learned any ways to beat it. They all have made comments indicating being perplexed on what else they can do. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 06:08 PM)Tony Wrote: Teams have been using it since the superbowl. Obviously they aren't smart enough to beat it..

We will see, all I know is Taylor and the Offensive staff were smart enough to beat the Chiefs in monster games in 
January. Kind of have to hope they do learn, no point in me being negative after 5 games where we could of won 
them all if just a few things went right for us.

(10-10-2022, 07:15 PM)kalibengal Wrote: he should dial up his Buddy Justin Jefferson and ask him how his team does it with him

Justin Jefferson had a great game when he had single coverage against Lattimore. 

The Saints should of doubled him like Chase.

Hope the Saints do that against Chase, he will have a great game too just the same if they do.

(10-10-2022, 07:37 PM)TheFan Wrote: What makes you have faith that he and the coaching staff will figure it out? It was talked about all off-season how they're going to get a lot of 2 high looks because that's how teams played them and stopped them last year when used. 

Through 5 games we've got a lot of 2 high looks and still have not learned any ways to beat it. They all have made comments indicating being perplexed on what else they can do. 

It is kind of survival at this point.

They are young and should learn unless they are all just hopped up on dope or somethin'.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 03:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see, all I know is Taylor and the Offensive staff were smart enough to beat the Chiefs in monster games in 
January. Kind of have to hope they do learn, no point in me being negative after 5 games where we could won.

True... Just 1 of those years I guess... I never put much stock into the suoerbowl hangover stuff. Maybe I should..
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 05:16 PM)Tony Wrote: True... Just 1 of those years I guess... I never put much stock into the suoerbowl hangover stuff. Maybe I should..

Yeah, I didn't think it would be this bad that is for sure. After this start I actually am starting to believe in the SB hangover.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:38 AM)WeezyBengTeams are playing two high safeties against the Bengals. When they do that, the deep pass is taken away which we have discussed ad nauseum. That being said, the deep zone stuff opens up the run...and more importantly the middle of the field pass. Wrote: From the eye test this year (and next gen stats below) it has seemed that Burrow has be reluctant to throw the middle of the field. There have been numerous plays watching tape and replays this year where Boyd has been open (or someone else) and Joe misses him and is quick to check down.

So, what's the deal? Is that on Burrow just missing open guys and not being reluctant to throw the middle of the field? Is it on ZT for just being clueless? Where is the disconnect? To me, its the key to unlocking the passing game and the million dollar question. Tyler Boyd should be feasting in these deep zone looks and he's not. The middle of the field should be Burrows first read on these two high looks.

I also put Brady's chart on there from yesterday. He was played much like the Bengals were and you can see how he and the Bucs were working the middle of the field.

It aint good.  They are not even letting the skill players get to the middle part of the field. 

So many 2/3 yard passes.  It is like they know that cant throw deep cause of Tampa 2,  and they also know they cant block/run, so every pass is literally first look, sub 2 second release. 

A total mess.  They have lost their last 4 games by a total of 11 points.  That is impressive in a bad bad bad way. 
Reply/Quote
Does Chase run up the middle of the field? Cause if he doesn't, you won't see many throws there. We got on Andy's ass for years over fixating on AJ Green, don't look now, but......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:11 PM)Housh Wrote: This is coaching. Coaches decide where they want the ball matriculated.

Zac is telling Burrow to take this short shit and with how bad the line played last year and in games 1 and 2 i can’t blame him. But the line is solid now and we are still running the dink dunk offense.

We are idiots

I call BS..... Burrow is just missing open receivers. Did Zac tell him to throw it to Chase with three open receivers on the interception? 

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:31 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Yeah makes no sense feel like Boyd and Hurst should kill it over the middle. We ran the ball decent too which is how you beat cover two. The offense lacks creatively would like to see more bunch formations and more movement pre snap movement. Seems like we just line up and are 3 receivers run the same routes.

These are the biggest issues from the coaching standpoint IMO.....and the obvious WTF playcall here and there. (I don't think the calls are as bad as others, because execution is an issue too, but there are still bad moments) There's not enough window dressing.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:34 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I said something about the Pats days. The Brady chart from yesterday made me think about the Brady's Pats days where he thrived in taking what the defense gave him and short yardage football. Brady understood the value in throwing in the middle of the field and the short passing game.

Maybe the Bengals need improvement in such an area.

No maybe to it..... it's either that, or more of the same. 

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 01:01 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Does Chase run up the middle of the field? Cause if he doesn't, you won't see many throws there. We got on Andy's ass for years over fixating on AJ Green, don't look now, but......

You gotta let it go my guy lol.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 01:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You gotta let it go my guy lol.

LoL....nah, I like devil's advocate, and I also like looking at the whole picture. I also LOVE providing hot takes when there's like a million a minute on here.....from the opposite perspective. Hell, we've got people on here that aren't even Bengals fans trashing our boys.

Now, I will admit, he most certainly doesn't fixate on Uno as bad as Andy did at times with 18, but some of the forced throws to him, it's like WTF man?! You had dudes wide open! It's pretty much his second year, gotta believe he'll overcome it. I'd like to see the staff dress the windows a lot more, dial up some more stuff up the middle, or Joe take those shots if they are dialing it up and he's just not seeing it. I really don't understand why he's struggling to hit these underneath guys that are open. I see them at a glimpse before the ball is released, how is he not? Is he just enamored with the home run? Is it the Ja'Marr factor? If no one was open, I'd see the point in always blaming the coaches, but that's not the case. He's missed a shit ton of open receivers this year. Now, early on, I'd blame poor blocking, but that's starting to shape up each week, and we all saw those pff pass pro grades for Sunday night. No excuse for it against Baltimore. 

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 01:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You gotta let it go my guy lol.

Some people are scared shitless of that elephant in the room Nico....I ain't. LOL

Reply/Quote