Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow throwing the middle of the field
(10-12-2022, 05:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: You have to look at just this season. And then you notice the ignoring of Boyd and fixation on Chase and Higgins: Boyd has 23 targets in 5 games and Chase has 53 targets in 5 games with Higgins at 28 in a bit less than 4. And the last debacle against the Rats was ridiculous with Boyd having only 4 targets while being wide open on almost every relevant pass play in the intermediate zone.

With all due respect to Tyler Boyd, someone is always going to finish last. Could it be that Boyd just isn’t as good as Chase and Tee? That’s what it is.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2022, 10:21 PM)Destro Wrote: No disrespect to our great WRs, but I want more Hurst.

Same here, more Hurst and Boyd is what I want to see. Both of these guys have been wide open a lot.

Burrow just needs to find them instead of trying to force it to Chase all the time.

(10-15-2022, 10:42 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I see us winning 4 games over next 6 but I see Ravens going 5-1 and pretty much taking over the division, we will be battling for a wild card the rest of the way

That's cool. Just gotta squeak into the Playoffs and its all good. Anything can happen then...
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 12:14 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: With all due respect to Tyler Boyd, someone is always going to finish last. Could it be that Boyd just isn’t as good as Chase and Tee? That’s what it is.

Kind of hard to prove you are good when the QB doesn't throw the ball your way when you are open.

He has done his job a lot and got open, that is on Burrow not finding him. It isn't Boyd's fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kind of hard to prove you are good when the QB doesn't throw the ball your way when you are open.

He has done his job a lot and got open, that is on Burrow not finding him. It isn't Boyd's fault.

Exactly. When you're struggling to move the ball against a Cover 2 shell but have a receiver who is pretty wide open play after play in the intermediate middle zone and you just don't throw to him it's the fault of the QB who is either greedy for a big play or just missing the wide open man. If we had been throwing to Boyd versus the Rats we win that game going away. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 12:14 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: With all due respect to Tyler Boyd, someone is always going to finish last. Could it be that Boyd just isn’t as good as Chase and Tee? That’s what it is.

No, he isn't as dynamic as those two, but he was a 1000 yd receiver for this team before either were in the league. He's clutch, and he's very tough. He's also no slouch. Joe needs to get his head out of his ass and throw Boyd the damn ball!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 03:20 PM)Joelist Wrote: Exactly. When you're struggling to move the ball against a Cover 2 shell but have a receiver who is pretty wide open play after play in the intermediate middle zone and you just don't throw to him it's the fault of the QB who is either greedy for a big play or just missing the wide open man. If we had been throwing to Boyd versus the Rats we win that game going away. 

Exactly. He was wfo all night.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 03:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: No, he isn't as dynamic as those two, but he was a 1000 yd receiver for this team before either were in the league. He's clutch, and he's very tough. He's also no slouch. Joe needs to get his head out of his ass and throw Boyd the damn ball!

Well, I didn't say he was a slouch, but Tee and Chase are special. Most receivers in the league wouldn't dare share the stage with those 2. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 04:23 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Well, I didn't say he was a slouch, but Tee and Chase are special. Most receivers in the league wouldn't dare share the stage with those 2. 

Well you can;t rest on what you did last year so far Chase has been disappointing , Boyd actually having better early start especially when you look at the targets he is getting vs Chase.  Boyd has been consistent his whole career, Chase needs to move the needle next few games to get back to the feel he is a top 5 WR
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kind of hard to prove you are good when the QB doesn't throw the ball your way when you are open.

(10-15-2022, 03:20 PM)Joelist Wrote: Exactly. When you're struggling to move the ball against a Cover 2 shell but have a receiver who is pretty wide open play after play in the intermediate middle zone and you just don't throw to him it's the fault of the QB who is either greedy for a big play or just missing the wide open man. If we had been throwing to Boyd versus the Rats we win that game going away. 

(10-15-2022, 03:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: Exactly. He was wfo all night.

I don't know how this all started, but it's just not true. I just went and watched the All 22 for the last 2 games and Boyd was open 2, maybe 3 times intermediate to deep across the middle, combined. 

Burrow has connected with him as much as he's missed him in that range. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 05:04 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well you can;t rest on what you did last year so far Chase has been disappointing , Boyd actually having better early start especially when you look at the targets he is getting vs Chase.  Boyd has been consistent is whole career, Chase needs to move the needle next few games. 

No he doesn't. Chase is an established superstar. The coaches need to put him in better positions to maximize his talents. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Without a credible run threat the passing game will always be suspect.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 05:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know how this all started, but it's just not true. I just went and watched the All 22 for the last 2 games and Boyd was open 2, maybe 3 times intermediate to deep across the middle, combined. 

People have shown at least 4 or 5 times on here showing Boyd wide open in just the Ravens game where Burrow instead 
thrown it to a covered Chase who couldn't make the reception cause he was double covered. That is not even counting in 
the Fins game where both Hurst and Boyd were open multiple times and Burrow didn't see it.

Usually agree with you Rfaulk so maybe you are correct and they are all covered but without a doubt Chase was covered
in the last 2 games and overall the entire season being doubled.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 05:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Without a credible run threat the passing game will always be suspect.

Which gives me hope after seeing the Gap scheme being successful somewhat against the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 06:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: People have shown at least 4 or 5 times on here showing Boyd wide open in just the Ravens game where Burrow instead 
thrown it to a covered Chase who couldn't make the reception cause he was double covered. That is not even counting in 
the Fins game where both Hurst and Boyd were open multiple times and Burrow didn't see it.

Usually agree with you Rfaulk so maybe you are correct and they are all covered but without a doubt Chase was covered
in the last 2 games and overall the entire season being doubled.

Boyd was covered pretty well, both games, pretty similar to everyone else. 

I'd say it's more a case of missing 'someone else' who's open, rather than where he threw it, and not really a case of Boyd being open all the time. 

I'm just pointing this out because sometimes something is said and it takes off like a forest fire, and in this case, the 'Boyd wide open' claim isn't really true. 

He certainly did miss Boyd a couple of times, but not an inordinant amount of times and two of those were a big gainer to Chase and a touchdown to Hurst. 

Keep in mind, still frames of plays can lie.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 05:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know how this all started, but it's just not true. I just went and watched the All 22 for the last 2 games and Boyd was open 2, maybe 3 times intermediate to deep across the middle, combined. 

Thank you. I thought I was taking crazy pills or something. Cause I sure as hell haven’t been seeing Boyd “wide open all game” like some are claiming.

People are complaining about going to Chase too much be he’s the one still putting up a high open score even with all the attention.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2022, 06:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Boyd was covered pretty well, both games, pretty similar to everyone else. 

I'd say it's more a case of missing 'someone else' who's open, rather than where he threw it, and not really a case of Boyd being open all the time. 

I'm just pointing this out because sometimes something is said and it takes off like a forest fire, and in this case, the 'Boyd wide open' claim isn't really true. 

He certainly did miss Boyd a couple of times, but not an inordinant amount of times and two of those were a big gainer to Chase and a touchdown to Hurst. 

Keep in mind, still frames of plays can lie.

Definitely understand your position. Don't want this notion to get out of hand either. Just saying Burrow usually sees 
these things and I bet he saw the same misses we did. It isn't an inordinate amount of misses like you say Rfaulk. Just 
something I am not used to with Burrow. I don't expect this to go on long, should start to see the Burrow of old soon.

I also think that Burrow actually having a pocket the last few games kind of shocked him.

Not something he is used to lol

(10-15-2022, 08:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Thank you. I thought I was taking crazy pills or something. Cause I sure as hell haven’t been seeing Boyd “wide open all game” like some are claiming.

People are complaining about going to Chase too much be he’s the one still putting up a high open score even with all the attention.

He wasn't open all game, just a few times where it was missed by Burrow that we aren't used to seeing. 
Reply/Quote
A lot more middle of the field passes against the Saints.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:14 PM)EatonFan Wrote: A lot more middle of the field passes against the Saints.

We literally changed the whole scheme to attack it. I love it.

When teams are spamming cover 2 and cover 4 you’ve got to find those holes in the zone he
-Housh
Reply/Quote
We finally put more slants into the attack and yes attacked the middle of the field.
Reply/Quote
Offense was super efficient today. Burrow doesn't want to be a game manager he wants to put it all on his shoulders, but sometimes you gotta let your guys get the YAC with the short and intermediate throws.
Reply/Quote