24.07%
13 24.07%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold
(09-07-2017, 09:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:
Yeah...I really think a big part of retaining Lewis is that he operates under the way the Bengals management structure and doesn't complain.

IF Lewis is gone, you'll see someone like Guenther or Simmons from inside.

A guy like Mike Zimmer was too brash to fit in here. You'll never see a Cowher or someone like that who wants control. The Bengals Management just won't allow that.

Not even Katie? Historically speaking, true the old management would never allow someone like that. But we have no idea what Katie will do once she's in full control. 

Anyway, I could have sworn I read an article a few months ago talking about management leaning towards Urban. 
Reply/Quote
I actually don't think he'll be back. No matter what. This is Marvin Lewis' last year here.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why would MB fire ML? He is a yes man and does anything he wants him to do without any push back. It has been abundantly clear for years that ML has peaked out, he is not capable of taking us any further and yet it will the same next year regardless of the season outcome, ML is not going anywhere. Rant
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 10:05 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let's just pretend for a moment that MB is gonna hold ML accountable this season. Giant stretch I know ! But try and play along. What level do you feel he needs to achieve to get another contract ?

For the record I think anything less than a playoff win and it should be farewell.

Actually I feel he should have been gone several years ago but anyways.......

For me, it's AFCCG or bust.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 01:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh no ! I don't "HATE" Marvin at all. In fact I really like the guy in many ways, it's kinda odd really.

I think Marvin is a really good guy, and I'll always be thankful to him for helping bring this team back from the abyss. However I also feel it's very painfully obvious he's not the guy who can get us thru the next steps.

Pretty much my sentiments verbatim.....

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 01:48 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I don't see any reason to bring him back next season no matter what. He's had several good teams to get a playoff win and failed. Not sure how much of Dalton was Marvins influence, but he even literally lucked into him and Green. Think about that for a sec...total makeover from a franchise QB and HOF WR to a Franchise QB and another HOF WR during a strike. That's pretty amazing and he does deserve some credit at least for that. He's had multiple coordinators, franchise QB's and pro bowl players but has still failed to produce. His playoff and prime time record is absolutely horrendous. The only consistent is Marvin and Brown. Cant fire Brown so this should be it for Marvin no matter what happens this year.

As much as I want Marvin gone, we might want to be careful what we wish for. I don't think any of these coordinators should be HC but I'm sure that's exactly what's going to happen. If Marvin goes I hope they clean house.

From what I recall....it was Jay Gruden that lobbied hard for Andy Dalton.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 09:42 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Not even Katie? Historically speaking, true the old management would never allow someone like that. But we have no idea what Katie will do once she's in full control. 

Anyway, I could have sworn I read an article a few months ago talking about management leaning towards Urban. 

I doubt that anyone under Mike Brown has drastically different management views than him. Generally 'groupthink' runs rampant in family owned businesses.

The interesting thing is we had 2 great drafts with about 6-7 years ago and everyone assumed that Katie was running the show. Since then, our drafts have been mediocre. We've maintained a coach who has proven to not be able to win big game or playoff games also.

IF Katie was indeed running the show, which we have no evidence either way...while not in the quagmire that was the 90's...I don't see a total commitment to winning a Super Bowl there either.

Clearly, anyone that valued winning a Super Bowl would get rid of a coach who was 0-7 in the playoffs. 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 12:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I doubt that anyone under Mike Brown has drastically different management views than him. Generally 'groupthink' runs rampant in family owned businesses.

The interesting thing is we had 2 great drafts with about 6-7 years ago and everyone assumed that Katie was running the show. Since then, our drafts have been mediocre. We've maintained a coach who has proven to not be able to win big game or playoff games also.

IF Katie was indeed running the show, which we have no evidence either way...while not in the quagmire that was the 90's...I don't see a total commitment to winning a Super Bowl there either.

Clearly, anyone that valued winning a Super Bowl would get rid of a coach who was 0-7 in the playoffs. 

Hmm.. You raise some great points.

I guess I just can't help but hope against hope that Katie will do things differently. Maybe I'm being naive but the alternative of believing she'll be a clone of her father is too nauseating to handle. Until I see otherwise, I'll try and convince (i.e. Delude) myself into believing that Katie will be more like her grandfather than her father
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 01:06 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Hmm.. You raise some great points.

I guess I just can't help but hope against hope that Katie will do things differently. Maybe I'm being naive but the alternative of believing she'll be a clone of her father is too nauseating to handle. Until I see otherwise, I'll try and convince (i.e. Delude) myself into believing that Katie will be more like her grandfather than her father

IF she hires a GM that would go a long way towards changing the culture. IF they gave him power. That's the simple change that would change a lot of other things.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 10:13 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I actually don't think he'll be back. No matter what. This is Marvin Lewis' last year here.

I, too, get the feeling this is Marvin's last year, but I think it's because Marvin will quit. There's nothing concrete behind why I feel this way (nothing he's said or done), but I just feel like Marvin's getting tired of coaching and will look to do other things (maybe move to the front office, but I think he'll retire for a year or so  before coming back to football). 

Maybe I'm projecting, but it's how I feel.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 06:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I, too, get the feeling this is Marvin's last year, but I think it's because Marvin will quit. There's nothing concrete behind why I feel this way (nothing he's said or done), but I just feel like Marvin's getting tired of coaching and will look to do other things (maybe move to the front office, but I think he'll retire for a year or so  before coming back to football). 

Maybe I'm projecting, but it's how I feel.

I remember thinking before his last extension surely Marvin is gonna say " Ok Mike, I've done my best and it's just not meant to be, I've had enough". 

Perhaps now he will ?
Reply/Quote