24.07%
13 24.07%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold
(09-05-2017, 12:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Absolutely agree,

Anything less than a playoff win he should be done. I'm not really even sure that's enough ?

Actually, I hope it's not. My biggest fear is we make the playoffs, win in some fluky fashion (like we should have done against Pitt a couple of seasons ago), get steamrolled in the next round... And Marv is given an extension. Thus resulting in more years of consistent failure when it counts.

Take a look at his Primetime record... What is it, 8-30 overall? If Marv somehow made the playoffs 30 times (I pray he's not around that long  :mellow: ) I imagine his overall playoff record would be the same. That's still roughly a 27% winning percentage. That is abysmal.

But point is, given enough chances, the law of averages could become Marv's best friend. It scares me because I could easily see the Brown family seeing this theoretical playoff win as "Oh joy! At long last, Marvin finally won a playoff game! We're finally over the hump!" Without looking at the bigger picture. Odds are, Marv's playoff ineptitude would continue. 
Reply/Quote
I don't see any reason to bring him back next season no matter what. He's had several good teams to get a playoff win and failed. Not sure how much of Dalton was Marvins influence, but he even literally lucked into him and Green. Think about that for a sec...total makeover from a franchise QB and HOF WR to a Franchise QB and another HOF WR during a strike. That's pretty amazing and he does deserve some credit at least for that. He's had multiple coordinators, franchise QB's and pro bowl players but has still failed to produce. His playoff and prime time record is absolutely horrendous. The only consistent is Marvin and Brown. Cant fire Brown so this should be it for Marvin no matter what happens this year.

As much as I want Marvin gone, we might want to be careful what we wish for. I don't think any of these coordinators should be HC but I'm sure that's exactly what's going to happen. If Marvin goes I hope they clean house.
Reply/Quote
After reading that we've become the third youngest team in the league, I'd say the bar has been lowered as to what Marvin has to do to get another contract. I could see 7-8 wins pretty much guaranteeing him a new deal.

"We won 7 games with one of the youngest rosters in the league. Just imagine how unstoppable we'll be in year 2 and 3. We need Marvin to guide these young men that he brought in."-Geoff Hobson (Mike Brown) entering the 2018 season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
After the Charger game he should have been gone. Marvin will be here, until his son, the film tech is ready to take the job .
Reply/Quote
0-7
Reply/Quote
Lewis will be back no matter what. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-signed for a year before kickoff Sunday..
Reply/Quote
I think Mike is waiting for Marvin to retire on his own. Once he does, there's no question marks hanging over whoever the next coach is, who I think will be chosen by Katie. I think Mike wants her to come in with a clean slate and the freedom to choose whatever coach she feels comfortable with, without any pressure from media, fans, etc. Then if the coach is a success in the next season or two, Mike disappears and Katie takes a more prominent role (getting a little more credit for the job she's already doing). If the coach is a bomb, he says it was his fault and lets Katie pick another.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We have to keep in mind Marvin got EXTENDED after a 4-12 season. So it has to be worse than that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I voted another 1st round playoff loss.. It is Mike Brown, It is Marvin Lewis and it is the Bengals
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 02:51 PM)Benton Wrote: I think Mike is waiting for Marvin to retire on his own. Once he does, there's no question marks hanging over whoever the next coach is, who I think will be chosen by Katie. I think Mike wants her to come in with a clean slate and the freedom to choose whatever coach she feels comfortable with, without any pressure from media, fans, etc. Then if the coach is a success in the next season or two, Mike disappears and Katie takes a more prominent role (getting a little more credit for the job she's already doing). If the coach is a bomb, he says it was his fault and lets Katie pick another.

Sadly this may be pretty close to the truth ?

Problem is how itching you think ML is to retire/quit a $4.5 million a year job with no expectations given, or results required ?
Reply/Quote
Pretty Sure if we don't win a playoff game its the end of the road.

Only reason he was brought back during the lockout was the lockout and the inability to get a new coach time with players. but hes been winning more than not sense
Reply/Quote
If Marvin Lewis got an extension after a season where he publicly called out Mike Brown for being a cheap ass and unsuccessful control freak, demanded an indoor practice facility be built, and then went 4-12 to boot...well, I don't see how he could EVER fail to get another one.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 06:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If Marvin Lewis got an extension after a season where he publicly called out Mike Brown for being a cheap ass and unsuccessful control freak, demanded an indoor practice facility be built, and then went 4-12 to boot...well, I don't see how he could EVER fail to get another one.

Sadly you're very right.
Reply/Quote
The Front Office hasn't canned Paul Alexander for 25 years. Why would they sack Marvin?
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 09:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Front Office hasn't canned Paul Alexander for 25 years.  Why would they sack Marvin?

I really doubt they will. I'd say it will take an Epic meltdown for it to happen.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 10:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I really doubt they will. I'd say it will take an Epic meltdown for it to happen.

The 2015 playoff game was pretty Epic followed by a losing season so your probably right. What's one more losing season going to do that the past hasn't already.
Reply/Quote
We all know what needs to be done but probably will never happen.

Move Marvin to GM.

Voted playoff win, but know better.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
heart says playoff win, head says he's here for good.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 10:05 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let's just pretend for a moment that MB is gonna hold ML accountable this season. Giant stretch I know ! But try and play along. What level do you feel he needs to achieve to get another contract ?

For the record I think anything less than a playoff win and it should be farewell.

Actually I feel he should have been gone several years ago but anyways.......

I personally don't believe Marv should be back even if we win the Superbowl. The most ideal scenario would be we win it all
and he retires a legend in terms of Bengals coaches. Then we move on to either Guenther, Simmons or Urban as the next HC.

Would like someone out of house but that doesn't seem how we do things around here.

I voted for Playoff win for Mikey though, i bet if Marv wins a Playoff game he will be back if he wants to be.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 10:09 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol, might as well pretend that Mike Brown is actually Batman.

Marvin is going to muddle through somewhere between a 7-9 and 9-7 season, miss the playoffs, and is going to be back for 2018 unless Marvin wants to retire.

This is Cincinnati, where we can't have nice things. Just constant steel-toed-boot-kicks to the nads. See Bryan Price returning to manage the 2018 Cincinnati Reds.

Yeah...I really think a big part of retaining Lewis is that he operates under the way the Bengals management structure and doesn't complain.

IF Lewis is gone, you'll see someone like Guenther or Simmons from inside.

A guy like Mike Zimmer was too brash to fit in here. You'll never see a Cowher or someone like that who wants control. The Bengals Management just won't allow that.
Reply/Quote