Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon
Joe Mixon is a FA in 2021. After or before this year, the Bengals are going to have to decide on whether to throw a bunch of money (that's most likely what it will take) at him and extend him.

IMO one of the bigger mistakes the Bengals have made recently is signing Gio to an extension and I think resigning Mixon could be a mistake as well.

I love Joe, but the Bengals needs to be smart here. The NFL has changed. Gone are the days where teams are throwing a bunch of money at the RB position. The Chiefs and 49ers were just in the Super Bowl with cheap veteran RBs and young RBs on rookie deals. The Patriots operate the same way.

If the money makes sense, then sure - extend him. If im the Bengals, though - I'm not breaking the bank on Joe Mixon. I'm investing the money saved on him in the offensive and defensive lines.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Yeah, let's not resign one of our best players. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, let's not resign one of our best players.  Whatever

You missed the point completely. 
Reply/Quote
Let's look at all the backs in the Super Bowl last night who had carries...

Damien Williams- 17 carries 104 yards 1 TD (Undrafted)
Raheem Mostert- 12 carries 58 yards 1 TD (Undrafted)
Tevin Coleman- 5 carries 28 yards (3rd Round)

People like me keep trying to point out that scheme is more important than backs in general. If you have a good running scheme, the back doesn't matter and recent history shows paying backs large sums of money doesn't work out all that well. I get it people don't like letting good players leave but HB is one of those positions you are better off doing so if the only other option is a large contract.

Will you have the best back in the league if you don't pay one? Probably not, but you don't need the best back in the league to win.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: Let's look at all the backs in the Super Bowl last night who had carries...

People like me keep trying to point out that scheme is more important than backs in general. If you have a good running scheme, the back doesn't matter and recent history shows paying backs large sums of money doesn't work out all that well. I get it people don't like letting good players leave but HB is one of those positions you are better off doing so if the only other option is a large contract.

Will you have the best back in the league if you don't pay one? Probably not, but you don't need the best back in the league to win.

EXACTLY. 

By NOT paying your best player a ton of money and using that money saved to upgrade other parts of the team that matter more - you are making the team marginally better. RB's are plug and play nowadays in the NFL and can be found for cheap.
Reply/Quote
I really think we need to get him signed up, he is a really good player.
I would save money by trading Dalton and AJ and get Mixon and a few good FA signed
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately I think they need to extend him. I say unfortunately because of the position he plays. There just aren't enough elite (young) players on the roster that deserve a big extension. The Bengals need to keep all the talent they can.

Also, for Burrow's development, you don't want him holding out. I'd prefer he have his top RB & AJ (if they keep him) during all of OTA's & training camp.

Edited to add: I agree that if they'd actually use the money available to upgrade in free agency you let him sail off into the sunset.
Reply/Quote
Give him a 3 year extension at decent money then he’s basically playing until the end of JB’s rookie deal. If JB is who we think he is, we won’t be able to afford expensive Backs but no need to not have Mixon whilst we have a QB playing on a rookie deal.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are in a bad spot they have drafted so poorly they don’t have that many good young players to extend. Tagging a 32 year old WR at 18 million and paying a RB big money when you have one of the worst rosters in the league isn’t a great idea.
Reply/Quote
I’d like to re-sign him if at all possible. Not only is he currently our best player, he’s also one of our most vocal leaders on the team.

People are pointing to the RB’s who were in the Super Bowl but let’s not forget that Tennessee just rode a stud RB all the way to the AFC championship.

Ideally we have both Joe’s balling out at the same time making things easier on each other.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The Chiefs and the Niners have innovative OC's who can scheme great for lesser talented players than Mixon, and not too mention both have very good OLines. I dont put us in that category. We need the best players we can get, hands down, and Mixon is a beast. Just because certain teams are having success doesnt mean we can just apply their philosophy to our our own team and have it magically work out. It took our coaches half a season to figure out how to get our run game going. Id hate to hit the reset button on that lol.
Reply/Quote
Running backs are not generally seen as having long life spans in the league. That's not to mean they all just keel over and die, but the average career length of running backs is 2 1/2 years, often much shorter. Heck, if a team can get one good year out of a back they've hit paydirt. Anything beyond that is gravy. Mixon may or may not be the exception. he might last a good 5 years or more or he might rip the tendons in his knees going to the toilet for all we know, but throwing a ton of money at him for a long term deal makes little sense. I'd go year to year with decent money, but not long term over 2 years for big bucks. He's already close to his expiration date in league averages. He's been around 2 years already. Will he exceed the 2.5 years? If I had to bet I'd say no.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
We need more guys like Joe. I understand the running back argument, but with the Chiefs fresh on my mind and how they came back in 3 straight games, attitude counts too.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 12:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d like to re-sign him if at all possible. Not only is he currently our best player, he’s also one of our most vocal leaders on the team.

People are pointing to the RB’s who were in the Super Bowl but let’s not forget that Tennessee just rode a stud RB all the way to the AFC championship.

Ideally we have both Joe’s balling out at the same time making things easier on each other.

I think it's a bit of a false narrative some are pushing about being able to get RB's anywhere and SB teams not investing in the position.  Last year, the Rams made it with Gurley.  2 years before that, the Falcons made it with Freeman.  The year before that, it was a #12 OA pick vs a #13 OA pick with Moreno and the Broncos vs Stewart and the Panthers.  The Seahawks went with Lynch the year before that and it was Lynch vs Moreno the year before that.  Not to mention deep runs like the Titans this year and the Saints with Kamara last year.

I think that this is a bit of trying to turn an exception into a rule. The Steelers have had a lot of recent success with late round/UDFA OT's.  That certainly doesn't mean that the Bengals can just get a T late, so there's no reason to invest high picks or cap dollars to the position. 

I would like to keep Joe, but given the nature of his position, I would be hesitant to offer him a Top 5 type deal. I would probably see if I can get a value on a RB in the draft so I have more contract leverage and an insurance policy against a holdout.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 02:19 PM)Goalpost Wrote: We need more guys like Joe.  I understand the running back argument, but with the Chiefs fresh on my mind and how they came back in 3 straight games, attitude counts too.

This is a chicken and egg argument though.  Attitude is great, but the reason the Chiefs had confidence is because they have a QB who was the MVP in his first full season and is a top tier talent.  Being awesome at your job is what gives people confidence in you, it doesn't necessarily work to first have total confidence and then win because of that.

Mahommes is a proven "you're never out of it as long as you have him" player and people recognize that.  You have to earn that sort of thing, right?
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe Mixon is a FA in 2021. After or before this year, the Bengals are going to have to decide on whether to throw a bunch of money (that's most likely what it will take) at him and extend him.

IMO one of the bigger mistakes the Bengals have made recently is signing Gio to an extension and I think resigning Mixon could be a mistake as well.

I love Joe, but the Bengals needs to be smart here. The NFL has changed. Gone are the days where teams are throwing a bunch of money at the RB position. The Chiefs and 49ers were just in the Super Bowl with cheap veteran RBs and young RBs on rookie deals. The Patriots operate the same way.

If the money makes sense, then sure - extend him. If im the Bengals, though - I'm not breaking the bank on Joe Mixon. I'm investing the money saved on him in the offensive and defensive lines.

Disagree on Re-signing Mixon, agree on the Gio extension. Shouldn't of paid Gio that much.

Mixon is too good to let go IMO.
Reply/Quote
Either direction they go with Mixon, long term or short term it's a gamble. If it's long term for big bucks and he never returns the investment then it's money thrown away, but if they let him walk and he goes on to win a SB elsewhere it's the dumbest move ever. It only works if he works or not. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. The same can be said of every player. They're all one injury away from the end of their NFL careers in the grand scheme of things.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Barring serious injury or a ludicrous contract, I want him here.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: Let's look at all the backs in the Super Bowl last night who had carries...

Preach it, Au.

I am firmly in the "if your RB isn't Barry Sanders, don't pay them" camp.

Use that saved money on your line and a good OC and who the RB is won't really matter (unless they're Barry Sanders, lol).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 10:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Preach it, Au.

I am firmly in the "if your RB isn't Barry Sanders, don't pay them" camp.

Use that saved money on your line and a good OC and who the RB is won't really matter (unless they're Barry Sanders, lol).

Of course I agree then I watch the fall off of Gio compared to Mixon running in the same Offense...

Some RB's are special like Barry and I agree with you that Mixon needs to learn how to finish like Derrick Henry does but Mixon
is still one of our best players. I think you should extend your best players and I still don't think Mixon has been used like he 
should, Mixon needs to be used in the passing game more, much more.

Who do you think should be our new OC TLL? 
Reply/Quote