Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Joe Mixon Appreciation Thread
Gotta pay Joe..he is a try hard guy.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully next year he'll be the 2nd most talented Joe in our backfield.

I will say the kid has proved me wrong to date. He seems to have his head in the right place.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Hopefully next year he'll be the 2nd most talented Joe in our backfield.

I will say the kid has proved me wrong to date. He seems to have his head in the right place.

He's actually kind of a leader on the team.
Reply/Quote
Joe is a beast. Pay the man!
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can we just take a minute and appreciate how good this guy is? He only needs 75 yards in the last 2 games to hit 1000 for the season. Pretty remarkable given how bad our running game was until a few weeks ago.

If we can add a QB like Burrow that teams will have to respect our offense should be a lot better next year. Taylor just needs to get better at calling plays. Especially in the red zone.

#28 has been one of the only bright spots during this miserable season. Just wanted to give him some props.

As much as I appreciate how Joe has performed down the stretch, where was this tenacity the rest of the season?  I don't think you can blame it all on the offensive line.  
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As much as I appreciate how Joe has performed down the stretch, where was this tenacity the rest of the season?  I don't think you can blame it all on the offensive line.  

Hard to do much when you’re getting like 10-15 carries a game. You remember how many times Taylor had Dalton chucking it 40-50 times?

He’s had 7 games this season with 15 or less carries. Twice in the single digits.

Reply/Quote
By comparison, Nick Chubb has had one game all season with 15 or less carries. The game against us.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hard to do much when you’re getting like 10-15 carries a game. You remember how many times Taylor had Dalton chucking it 40-50 times?

He’s had 7 games this season with 15 or less carries. Twice in the single digits.

I understand your point, but there were times where the running game was so dismal, they had to throw.  It wasn't throw because they didn't want to run the ball, it was because they were so inept.  Joe was a part of that.  
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You can say a lot of things about Mixon.

But you can't say the young man has any quit in him.

I've dogged on Mixon a lot, but your statement is 100% true.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can we just take a minute and appreciate how good this guy is? He only needs 75 yards in the last 2 games to hit 1000 for the season. Pretty remarkable given how bad our running game was until a few weeks ago.

If we can add a QB like Burrow that teams will have to respect our offense should be a lot better next year. Taylor just needs to get better at calling plays. Especially in the red zone.

#28 has been one of the only bright spots during this miserable season. Just wanted to give him some props.

How many first round picks, QB or not, fail in the NFL? How many have success? The reality is that not many 1st round picks make it more than a few years in the NFL. For QB that % is lower than when looking at other roles. I'm not sold on having the first pick in the first round. With ML we had quality coaches to help him draft quality players that fit the schemes they had in play. I'm not sold that the coaches leading the Bengals today have that skill set and IMO it is why the team isn't better this year. 

Just like FA; if you bring in a stud he could be a dud on the team if the player style of play doesn't match the scheme the team is using. 

For the last two games it is time to look at the other QB to see how he will perform; maybe he is a stud and the team can go another route with the draft, but we won't know unless he gets onto the field to play a game or two. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:32 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: How many first round picks, QB or not, fail in the NFL? How many have success? The reality is that not many 1st round picks make it more than a few years in the NFL. For QB that % is lower than when looking at other roles. I'm not sold on having the first pick in the first round. With ML we had quality coaches to help him draft quality players that fit the schemes they had in play. I'm not sold that the coaches leading the Bengals today have that skill set and IMO it is why the team isn't better this year. 

Just like FA; if you bring in a stud he could be a dud on the team if the player style of play doesn't match the scheme the team is using. 

For the last two games it is time to look at the other QB to see how he will perform; maybe he is a stud and the team can go another route with the draft, but we won't know unless he gets onto the field to play a game or two. 

There’s a million other threads to discuss QB’s and the draft. This is a Joe Mixon thread. I’d appreciate people staying on topic.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I understand your point, but there were times where the running game was so dismal, they had to throw.  It wasn't throw because they didn't want to run the ball, it was because they were so inept.  Joe was a part of that.  

The passing game hasn’t worked either. Especially in the red zone. Taylor was giving up on the run FAR too quickly early on.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I understand your point, but there were times where the running game was so dismal, they had to throw.  It wasn't throw because they didn't want to run the ball, it was because they were so inept.  Joe was a part of that.  

Going to the air also becomes necessary when a team needs a quick score -- and the Bengals fell behind early in lots of games this season. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The passing game hasn’t worked either. Especially in the red zone. Taylor was giving up on the run FAR too quickly early on.

The passing game seemed to be working early on, but they had no balance.  And when weapons and linemen started dropping, it only got worse. 

If is funny, Brady and Co have had a pathetic offense since losing Brown (their vertical, quick-open threat).  The same thing has happened to Dalton and Zac, but with a worse line, worse talent around them, and no defense to speak of.  Should we really be surprised the offense has struggled when they haven't had their best weapon (Green) and lost their starting and 2nd string LTs?   

Look at Baker's numbers WITH Chubb, OBJ, Njoku, and Landry?  What has Dalton had to work with?  Boyd is a very solid slot WR, but doesn't generate much separation, especially against a top tier CB.  Tate has been a real find, but is more of a possession guy, and Ross has barely seen the field.  

Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:08 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The passing game seemed to be working early on, but they had no balance.  And when weapons and linemen started dropping, it only got worse. 

If is funny, Brady and Co have had a pathetic offense since losing Brown (their vertical, quick-open threat).  The same thing has happened to Dalton and Zac, but with a worse line, worse talent around them, and no defense to speak of.  Should we really be surprised the offense has struggled when they haven't had their best weapon (Green) and lost their starting and 2nd string LTs?   

Look at Baker's numbers WITH Chubb, OBJ, Njoku, and Landry?  What has Dalton had to work with?  Boyd is a very solid slot WR, but doesn't generate much separation, especially against a top tier CB.  Tate has been a real find, but is more of a possession guy, and Ross has barely seen the field.  

They need to use play action more often, especially if Mixon is running like he has the last few games; it will improve the passing game. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 04:22 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: They need to use play action more often, especially if Mixon is running like he has the last few games; it will improve the passing game. 

They only used play-action when we couldn't run the ball.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 04:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They only used play-action when we couldn't run the ball.

You know how coaches talk about how they have to go back to basics to help the players get on the same page as the coaches to help the team win games. Well, maybe the coaches need to have a coaches only meeting and discuss coaching basics because Mixon was at 100 yard or close to by the end of the second half. That screams, play action as every time you make it look like you are giving him the ball, the PATS should have been in a run defense which would have allowed one or two receivers to get open and bam you move the chains with a pass or better yet a TD. 

ZT needs to update his play book, go back to basic and use the KISS philosophy. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 04:22 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: They need to use play action more often, especially if Mixon is running like he has the last few games; it will improve the passing game. 

This and I would like to see him and Gio both used more in the passing game.  The way that a lot of teams do it is keep a back in and chip the DE for more than just one hit, THEN leak him out and use him as an outlet receiver.  Gio and Mixon in space?  Yes, please.   Running in to a bear front...not so much.
Reply/Quote

Mixon has no fumbles this season in 231 attempts.  That makes his criticism of the WR's not having any fight in them for jump balls compelling.
He ought to clear 1000 yards in remaining games having done that behind one of the NFL's worst offensive lines.  So the guy doesn't make excuses, he looks to solve problems with the guys at hand.  Boyd excusing the interception on him because Gilmore had leverage or knew the route is inane.  Watching film is the exact reason Gilmore could make that play, it's what good DB's do.  What do good WR's do?
Reply/Quote