Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Joe Mixon Appreciation Thread
(12-16-2019, 05:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This and I would like to see him and Gio both used more in the passing game.  The way that a lot of teams do it is keep a back in and chip the DE for more than just one hit, THEN leak him out and use him as an outlet receiver.  Gio and Mixon in space?  Yes, please.   Running in to a bear front...not so much.

Ever since Mixon was drafted, I assumed playing them both at the same time was the game plan.  Old school for sure but the talent was there to make it work.  I've been baffled about the Bengal's running game plan for years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If only the Bengals had a good passing game to go along with the rushing resurgence.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 05:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If only the Bengals had a good passing game to go along with the rushing resurgence.

We have a great opportunity to upgrade the most important aspect of a passing game this spring.

Reply/Quote
As much as I dogged the pick initially for obvious reasons, Joe has done nothing but lead by example and kept his nose clean. That's the icing on the cake, because he has been a MAN out there running the ball the last two years...and really toward the end of his rookie season too. It's gonna suck when the Pats sign him away.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 05:17 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Mixon has no fumbles this season in 231 attempts.  That makes his criticism of the WR's not having any fight in them for jump balls compelling.
He ought to clear 1000 yards in remaining games having done that behind one of the NFL's worst offensive lines.  So the guy doesn't make excuses, he looks to solve problems with the guys at hand.  Boyd excusing the interception on him because Gilmore had leverage or knew the route is inane.  Watching film is the exact reason Gilmore could make that play, it's what good DB's do.  What do good WR's do?

Good WR will knock a ball down if they see the DB going for the INT. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can we just take a minute and appreciate how good this guy is? He only needs 75 yards in the last 2 games to hit 1000 for the season. Pretty remarkable given how bad our running game was until a few weeks ago.

If we can add a QB like Burrow that teams will have to respect our offense should be a lot better next year. Taylor just needs to get better at calling plays. Especially in the red zone.

#28 has been one of the only bright spots during this miserable season. Just wanted to give him some props.

Yes, Mixon is one heck of a RB. Cannot believe some are saying we shouldn't extend him. Smack

He can do it all, one of the most talented players in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
In games played in a season with 15.

He has never played more than 14 before.

Good sign that he was able to stay healthy this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 03:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In games played in a season with 15.

He has never played more than 14 before.

Good sign that he was able to stay healthy this year.

Great news and another reason we should extend the dude. Our best player right now.
Reply/Quote
Joe Mixon has had a resurgence after the bye week. The team has figured out how to establish the run (finally).
He's averaging 4.65 YPC after the bye. If that had been through the whole year, he'd be in the top 10 in rushing yards.
And if he had as many attempts like Zeke, Henry, Chubb, and Chris Carson while maintaining that 4.65 YPC, he'd be just over 1250 yards, which would put him 4th.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
about to become just the 5th rusher with back to back 1000 yard season i think i read somewhere... I mean if he can get 75+ yards in 2 games
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 03:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great news and another reason we should extend the dude. Our best player right now.

A lot of this depends on 2020...if we flop big time next year he might look at the fact that he's a top-tier talent with 4 losing seasons to show for it and want to run elsewhere.  I'd wager if we want to keep him we're going to have to give him highest paid RB type money, but time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: A lot of this depends on 2020...if we flop big time next year he might look at the fact that he's a top-tier talent with 4 losing seasons to show for it and want to run elsewhere.  I'd wager if we want to keep him we're going to have to give him highest paid RB type money, but time will tell.

I would expect that the Bengals retain him and pay him very well. We'll see though.
Reply/Quote
Should go over 1000 even with the terrible start to the season.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Joe Mixon has had a resurgence after the bye week. The team has figured out how to establish the run (finally).
He's averaging 4.65 YPC after the bye. If that had been through the whole year, he'd be in the top 10 in rushing yards.
And if he had as many attempts like Zeke, Henry, Chubb, and Chris Carson while maintaining that 4.65 YPC, he'd be just over 1250 yards, which would put him 4th.

If Dalton could even scare teams a little bit with the passing game, Mixon would probably be the best back in the league.
Hopefully with the addition of Burrow, that should back off the defenses a bit.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: A lot of this depends on 2020...if we flop big time next year he might look at the fact that he's a top-tier talent with 4 losing seasons to show for it and want to run elsewhere.  I'd wager if we want to keep him we're going to have to give him highest paid RB type money, but time will tell.

well depending on how the offseason rolls we could endup with a lot of cap to do just that.
Reply/Quote

Yes, we will see how the Offseason goes, should be interesting. We will flop big time if we keep these same coaches and don't
delve deep into FA and have a good Draft. I would still pay the man regardless, he gives full effort out there on every snap.

(12-20-2019, 04:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I would expect that the Bengals retain him and pay him very well. We'll see though.

I expect the same.

(12-20-2019, 05:22 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: If Dalton could even scare teams a little bit with the passing game, Mixon would probably be the best back in the league.
Hopefully with the addition of Burrow, that should back off the defenses a bit.

No doubt my friend. Have to have both facets. We only have one in Joe Mixon and he still can get it done for heck sake.

And he doesn't fumble much at all.

(12-20-2019, 05:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well depending on how the offseason rolls we could endup with a lot of cap to do just that.

True.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: about to become just the 5th rusher with back to back 1000 yard season i think i read somewhere... I mean if he can get 75+ yards in 2 games

Miami is ranked 30th against the run. 31st in total defense. Shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that would stop him is an early injury he can't recover from by season end but we all hope that's not the case (knock on wood). The last 3 weeks he has had 25, 23 and 19 carries. If he maintains a 4yd per carry against the Dolphins, he's got it this week for sure. 

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Easily.

Not tough when you have a bunch of scrubs everywhere else and your real best player broke his Pinky nail.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We have a great opportunity to upgrade the most important aspect of a passing game this spring.

We're not only a QB away, lol. We have one win.

Dalton was throwing 50 times a game because mixon did nothing with the trash line. The same line that gave Dalton no time. Hello let's repeat the last two decades. Draft a QB and stud WR and go 0-20 in the playoffs. You have to start over with an old Atkins who makes the probowl by name and an aj green who is over the hill by the time he's healthy.

Mixon had played well recently, and I would say he's had to adapt because he's still taking hits in the backfield. He's had some crap games and we blame the line, when he has a good game is any credit given to them - not a sign of a leader.

Dalton was almost leading the league in yards early in the season. I don't think any of us were patting his back. None of this results in wins. It's what us losers do, concentrate on something else to be positive about.

To think, if he could have overcame the line problems early on he'd already have 1000. These are Joel embid type disappearances.

10 rushes, 2 yards.
8 rushes, 10 yards.
11 rushes, 17 yards.
6 rushes, 10 yards.

Essentially 4 games unplayed. To think Taylor only ran him 6 times earlier this season. Get down and immediately stops running.
Reply/Quote