Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Mixon - Rumors He May Be Cut
(02-16-2024, 01:45 PM)kalibengal Wrote: If we do cut Mixon, I would be interested in AJ Dillon to supply the "Thunder "while Brown the "lightning"
AFCN requires a big bruising back. Look at the AFCN RBs :   Harris, Chubb, Edwards 
Lets add Dillon and am looking forward to him steam rolling TJ Watt 

His YPC has gotten worse every year he's played and he had 3.4ypc last year.

AFCN Super Bowl Winners
2012 Ravens: Ray Rice  5'8, 199lbs
2005 and 2008 Steelers: Willie Parker 5'10, 212lbs

Not sure you need some big bruising back in the AFCN. Being big, bruising, and bad is still bad. If you are big, bruising, and good that's good, but that's just because you're good. Lol

Heck, they're probably benching Najee Harris in 2024 because Jaylen Warren (5'8, 204) is taking his job by actually being good.

- - - - - -

AJ Dillon had the 43rd broken tackle % on rushes among qualified rushers (there were only 48). He was 34th in yards after contact per attempt. He isn't steamrolling anyone.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 01:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The upcoming FA market is packed with talented RBs.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/all/

The Bengals should easily be able to find a quality RB for under $3 mill APY in that group. They may just have to wait a week or two after the big contracts hit and the guys remaining start being willing to take cheaper deals to play for contenders.

Besides having the most randomly awesome name I like Rico Dowdle as a 3rd down back option. He is unlikely to get a high tender considering the cost.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
AJ Dillon is trash

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 01:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The upcoming FA market is packed with talented RBs.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/all/

The Bengals should easily be able to find a quality RB for under $3 mill APY in that group. They may just have to wait a week or two after the big contracts hit and the guys remaining start being willing to take cheaper deals to play for contenders.

Mixon will turn 28 on July 24 of this year. I think that he likely has one more productive and healthy season ahead of him.

Of the $3 million or less players - Exactly which one do you get ?   Do they really do better than Mixon ?  Similar ?  Possibly worse ?

*If the chosen $3 million guy gets hurt, the Bengals may be spending more for another guy later -or- by making the switch

it may change how they Draft in 2024 with regard to the running back position.

**Mixon is durable, knows the System, has a Chemistry with the Team & Offense plus he holds onto the ball.

Trying to fix what may not be that broken could lead to it being broken. 

I don't see one right or wrong answer here. 

It may be more about preferences and people wanting to save some Money -or- if you want a for sure Upgrade then you

probably have to throw resources at it like Money or a Higher Round Draft choice to make sure you get the Upgrade now.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 10:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: IMO it would be a smart move to get younger and cheaper at RB.  Their are plenty of good and capable RBs in this draft class to pair with Brown to be a talented duo. If they don't want to be totally dependent upon a rookie and 2nd year guy to carry the load, they can always sign a competent veteran for much less than Mixon.

Of course I agree with Sunset as usual. Would be all for getting younger and cheaper at RB especially now that we saw something in Chase Brown.

I will keep saying it. Braelon Allen would offer something we haven't had at RB since Cedric Benson, a power runner that runs you over and is no fun
to tackle. I also like Florida State's Benson in this Draft and there are other good ones to be had. If we keep Mixon I will support him though, he did 
play better last year than the year before. He doesn't fumble and he is a good pass catching RB out of the backfield.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Of course I agree with Sunset as usual. Would be all for getting younger and cheaper at RB especially now that we saw something in Chase Brown.

I will keep saying it. Braelon Allen would offer something we haven't had at RB since Cedric Benson, a power runner that runs you over and is no fun
to tackle. I also like Florida State's Benson in this Draft and there are other good ones to be had. If we keep Mixon I will support him though, he did 
play better last year than the year before. He doesn't fumble and he is a good pass catching RB out of the backfield.

I am all for adding another Benson and have him wear 32 in honor of Ced.
That number will be coming available again with Trayveon Williams hitting FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 03:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I am all for adding another Benson and have him wear 32 in honor of Ced.

Yep, RIP Boogie Man and honoring him with another good Benson RB wearing 32 would be cool. Mellow
Reply/Quote
The Bengals need more explosive plays from the RB position
When was the last time a Bengals RB had a 50 yd plus run ?
Get more explosive in the run game and watch JB feast
Reply/Quote
Since the run game is under utilized, I think cutting Mixon is a fantastic move. There is no way I would replace him with any costly RB. Draft a RB in round 4 and check the waiver wire.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 03:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The Bengals need more explosive plays from the RB position
When was the last time a Bengals RB had a 50 yd plus run ?
Get more explosive in the run game and watch JB feast

Yeah, it's been a while, but only 3 backs had runs of 50 or more this season.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/rushing/2023/post/all/rushingyards/desc

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm neutral on Mixon. If he could actually pass block, then I wouldn't mind keeping him on board.

Whether 28 stays or not, we need someone in the Perine role. There still isn't a good pass blocker here and we still don't have a guy that can pick up tough yards on third down like Samaje did. It's not like Perine was some rare HOF type back. He just had some basic tools that were not replaced. Their absence hurt this team last year and was a key to their success in 2022.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 08:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, it's been a while, but only 3 backs had runs of 50 or more this season.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/rushing/2023/post/all/rushingyards/desc

You sure you aren't looking at postseason stats, Sunset? I see "2023/post" in your link description.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/rushing.htm

15 RBs and 1 WR had rushes of 50+ yards in 2023.

Raheem Mostert was 1 yard away from the Dolphins alone having 3 RBs who did it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 09:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You sure you aren't looking at postseason stats, Sunset? I see "2023/post" in your link description.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/rushing.htm

15 RBs and 1 WR had rushes of 50+ yards in 2023.

Raheem Mostert was 1 yard away from the Dolphins alone having 3 RBs who did it.

You're probably right, but I specifically put "rushes of 50 yards plus NFL 2023" in my search.  NFL needs to put out better responses to queries...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
So with the Mixon rumors, it got me thinking… and I know it’s a long shot.

What if we tag Tee and trade him? Specifically for a single player. The Giants are expected to tag Saquon.

If we do tag Tee and cut Mixon… and assuming we want to save money for other free agents, this would fill our RB position and save us nearly 16 million.

I know it is oversimplifying the complex nature of working in a front office, but a move like this opens up the draft to BPA, including receiver at 18.

C12Schleyer

[Image: 175fb1ebe161ecda7fb32824e3682755.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I wish I could dig it back up but I saw stats basically that Mixon while overall yards were okay was near the bottom of the league at yards after contact and missed tackles or something such. He did leave a lot of yards and some points on the field this last year by mostly going down to first contact.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 09:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're probably right, but I specifically put "rushes of 50 yards plus NFL 2023" in my search.  NFL needs to put out better responses to queries...

I think you had the table sorted by total yards, not longest run. Try this:
https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/rushing/2023/REG/all/rushinglong/DESC
Reply/Quote
JMO but I’d expect they go with a RT ( good draft for tackles) in round 1. They tag Tee. Re-sign Reader to a fair deal for both parties. Pick up a DT & 10-12 million in FA. They keep Mixon but at second pick look at TE & RB.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 03:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I am all for adding another Benson and have him wear 32 in honor of Ced.

(02-16-2024, 03:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, RIP Boogie Man and honoring him with another good Benson RB wearing 32 would be cool. Mellow

bfine32
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 01:15 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I don't believe Mixon restructured his contract to help the team. I believe Mixon did it to avoid being cut. 

...................................................................................................................This ^^^^^^^^^

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote