Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Mixon - Rumors He May Be Cut
(02-18-2024, 02:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: When was the last time a RB didn't get a significant workload (150+ carries) in a season by Year 2 and still turned out to be a good starter?

RB is not a position that you need to evaluate a player at for 2 years before giving them a workload. That's like 1/3rd of the position's most productive years. If you need 2 years to evaluate them, you already know they're not the answer and you need to find one.

Austin Eckler 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 12:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Mixon is a polarizing RB in blogs, he has some negatives and positives but the idea his 1 yr contract is difference in signing Tee is really  not realistic.  Some say cut him to save 9 million but then say add a RB in FA that will mostly be a wash. Realistic scenario to me is Bengals stay the course for this year with Mixon mainly for 3 reasons
1. He is a proven 3 down back great in security of ball and knows system
2. Brown is unproven, need more evaluation this year as a RB
3. More pressing needs in FA and draft this year.

I agree with all of this. I understand Mixon has his negatives but I think he takes way too much of the blame for our run game. I think cutting him only really saves about 6 mil and then we are gonna try and sign a FA? Just seems like not alot of room there for a FA that will probably be a down grade. I'd think keep Mixon and focus FA and the draft elsewhere atleast until the mid late rds. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 02:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Austin Eckler 

Good answer. I was wanting to say Derrick Henry because I know he started off behind Murray but he had 176 carries his 2nd year. Of course the argument could be had that they should've been using him. I'm just curious what the team thinks of Chase Brown? Every down back? Change of pace? We just really didn't see enough of him to trust it in my opinion. But I would definitely be going into next season looking to expand his role in a big way.
Reply/Quote
I didn't read entire thread, no need. I feel the 6 million in savings is well worth cutting him to use elsewhere.

It's been grinded on 1,000 times on here in different threads. And it's true !! Mixon is just a regular run of the mill RB (and I'm being nice) he gets no extra yards. No defense we face is in any way concerned with him as a real threat to break a big run off. And read the stats he doesn't.

He has his great points, top shelf ball security !! And decent to above average receiver. But his bad points kinda make it a wash. He stinks at pass pro and he never gashes any defenses. Well besides one or two games a season.

I feel we need a shakeup in RB, new blood. Draft a rookie in mid rounds and pair him with C. Brown and UDFA and call it a day.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 10:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: IMO it would be a smart move to get younger and cheaper at RB.  Their are plenty of good and capable RBs in this draft class to pair with Brown to be a talented duo. If they don't want to be totally dependent upon a rookie and 2nd year guy to carry the load, they can always sign a competent veteran for much less than Mixon.

^This^

I just feel it's time for RB room reset button being hit. Mixon is very average at best, overall. And Evans and Williams just aren't gonna make it. Draft a 3rd or 4th rounder. and get a vet, cheap, insurance policy and pair them with C. Brown and go.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 01:26 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I am starting to get in the Braelon Allen camp myself. Hoping we can get him, just not sure how early we can take him. In the 2nd would be too early, 3rd might be too late.

That's been my concern on the matter. I can't see taking him above the 3rd, but I don't know if he'll be there for us. We could add a later pic to move up in that round, however.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 03:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: ^This^

I just feel it's time for RB room reset button being hit. Mixon is very average at best, overall. And Evans and Williams just aren't gonna make it. Draft a 3rd or 4th rounder. and get a vet, cheap, insurance policy and pair them with C. Brown and go.

I'd be okay with them investing a 3rd rounder if the talent was there. Rolling with multiple backs should be able to produce results.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 02:54 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Good answer. I was wanting to say Derrick Henry because I know he started off behind Murray but he had 176 carries his 2nd year. Of course the argument could be had that they should've been using him. I'm just curious what the team thinks of Chase Brown? Every down back? Change of pace? We just really didn't see enough of him to trust it in my opinion. But I would definitely be going into next season looking to expand his role in a big way.

We also have a more recent example in Tony Pollard. He's probably a better comparison as they are/were both in the situation of being behind a highly drafted bellcow
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 03:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: ^This^

Gus Edwards might a good cheap pickup.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 12:56 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://youtu.be/haq1Av27JD4?si=tBcPUXJVYejj37z9

Calling this guy timid is really off. On Solomon Wilcot’s podcast last year about this time Zac said he punishes the secondary and by the fourth quarter he helps the passing game for Chase and Tee by wearing them down. He said you can see on film them shying away from him late in games. Mixon’s balance is his nemesis. Not his physicality. He’s lost his explosiveness as has some others like Dalvin Cook and Derrick Henry.

By timid I mean that he doesn't attack the hole or through a lane. A big knock on Joe for majority of his career is that he waits or hesitates before turning up field.

I don't think he is soft. I think he doesn't make a committed decision to turn up field and go quickly enough.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 11:01 PM)PDub80 Wrote: By timid I mean that he doesn't attack the hole or through a lane. A big knock on Joe for majority of his career is that he waits or hesitates before turning up field.

I don't think he is soft. I think he doesn't make a committed decision to turn up field and go quickly enough.

I misinterpreted obviously.I thought timid of contact. Joe runs better in a gap scheme as it requires less decision making. Joe is not the smartest guy in the huddle trust me. He was not like that at Oklahoma. I’m not trying to make excuses for him but never having any holes to run through can make you indecisive. He’s nearing the end. If he was smart enough to pick up blitzes and protection he’d make it as a third down back because he’s big and physical. Unfortunately he’s not. I was adamant last year he’d be retained. My source thought he’d have to take a pay cut and thought he would.. I’d gone to Vegas and bet a hell of a lot more than I should. Although this person wasn’t inside the building full time he didn’t need to be. This year I haven’t heard. I’m sure I will. The fact he has a roster bonus soon will tell. If they need the money really bad I can see him gone. Just don’t know how bad they need it. I mean need it not could use it.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 04:13 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd be okay with them investing a 3rd rounder if the talent was there. Rolling with multiple backs should be able to produce results.

Braelon Allen or Jonathan Brooks would be fantastic grabs in the 3rd round. Both are hard to tackle and have good balance.
Reply/Quote
The stats show Mixon’s biggest issue is his only rarely breaking any tackles. If he could even get past one defender there would have been a lot more yards and points.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2024, 11:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: The stats show Mixon’s biggest issue is his only rarely breaking any tackles. If he could even get past one defender there would have been a lot more yards and points.

The turf monster gets Joe a lot. He trips himself up trying to accelerate while making a cut.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 11:46 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I misinterpreted obviously.I thought timid of contact. Joe runs better in a gap scheme as it requires less decision making. Joe is not the smartest guy in the huddle trust me. He was not like that at Oklahoma. I’m not trying to make excuses for him but never having any holes to run through can make you indecisive. He’s nearing the end. If he was smart enough to pick up blitzes and protection he’d make it as a third down back because he’s big and physical. Unfortunately he’s not. I was adamant last year he’d be retained. My source thought he’d have to take a pay cut and thought he would.. I’d gone to Vegas and bet a hell of a lot more than I should. Although this person wasn’t inside the building full time he didn’t need to be. This year I haven’t heard. I’m sure I will. The fact he has a roster bonus soon will tell. If they need the money really bad I can see him gone. Just don’t know how bad they need it. I mean need it not could use it.

I think having dialogue & clarifying stuff is healthy. So, no harm no foul!

My thoughts on the RB spot today: I think that $4.5M or whatever it is that's due Mixon can be used much better elsewhere along the roster. Bigger impact would be felt at putting that towards higher tier FAs & upgrading OL, DL, or S spots & freeing up draft picks.

I look at it the like this. I would MUCH rather have Joe Mixon's money go towards Tee Higgins new deal & keeping the 3 RBs behind Mixon last year: Evans, Brown, Williams, + &/or draft a guy than I would see the Bengals lose Higgins & keep Joe.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2024, 11:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: The stats show Mixon’s biggest issue is his only rarely breaking any tackles. If he could even get past one defender there would have been a lot more yards and points.

Yup

A couple guys have posted the stats, I don't remember them exactly?? But he's amongst the highest in yards before contact, and among the lowest in yards after contact !!
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 01:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

A couple guys have posted the stats, I don't remember them exactly?? But he's amongst the highest in yards before contact, and among the lowest in yards after contact !!

Yes, I remember the stats. Mixon is one of the worst starting RB's in the NFL at breaking tackles. You would think he would be much 
better at breaking tackles with his build, but his balance is terrible at times and as Wedge says the turf monster will get him which is 
unacceptable at RB.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 02:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, I remember the stats. Mixon is one of the worst starting RB's in the NFL at breaking tackles. You would think he would be much 
better at breaking tackles with his build, but his balance is terrible at times and as Wedge says the turf monster will get him which is 
unacceptable at RB.

I'm all for using that money elsewhere, but at the same time, Chris Evans is not an answer. You'd have to replace him and Mixon. I like Brown, and Williams is decent enough. Evans was a wasted draft pick.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 01:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

Joe Mixon 2023 among 44 qualified RBs:
10th in yards before contact per rush
43rd in yards after contact per rush

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 03:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm all for using that money elsewhere, but at the same time, Chris Evans is not an answer. You'd have to replace him and Mixon. I like Brown, and Williams is decent enough. Evans was a wasted draft pick.

Yep if they cut Mixon they're going to have to draft a mid round guy and/or find a cheap older vet as insurance. Perhaps keep Williams but Evans needs to go as well.
Reply/Quote