Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Mixon - Rumors He May Be Cut
(02-21-2024, 02:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've wondered the same thing myself in past threads and posts by others about how poor Mixon is in yards before/after contact?? It makes one wonder is our Oline really that bad? Or is it Mixon making it look worse than it is? 

I believe it's the latter.

I forget what game it was? I believe it was just after JB went out? But Mixon was hitting the holes with authority, head down taking what was given. He didn't set any rushing records or anything but it was one of his better rushing games in some time.

It's when he tries his L. Bell impression that he stinks!! (which is more often than not) he doesn't have the quickness, juking ability, vision to run with that style and it hurts his stats, makes the Oline look bad, and more importantly hurts the team in winning.

Agree, plus he cant block and has high mileage. Need to upgrade and he may have a second career on Dancing with the Stars.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 02:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've wondered the same thing myself in past threads and posts by others about how poor Mixon is in yards before/after contact?? It makes one wonder is our Oline really that bad? Or is it Mixon making it look worse than it is? 

I believe it's the latter.

I forget what game it was? I believe it was just after JB went out? But Mixon was hitting the holes with authority, head down taking what was given. He didn't set any rushing records or anything but it was one of his better rushing games in some time.

It's when he tries his L. Bell impression that he stinks!! (which is more often than not) he doesn't have the quickness, juking ability, vision to run with that style and it hurts his stats, makes the Oline look bad, and more importantly hurts the team in winning.

I still just think it's just the easy thing to point to Mixon for our run game struggles. When I think the real issues is just everything. Our team run blocking isn't great probably in part because we don't want to commit to the run game. I really don't think it's Mixon making the run game look worse. He cuts to set up his blockers. Does he sometimes cut and miss a gap yes as any RB does but I think we can look at a guy like Chase Brown and see how many times he was tackled for a loss and realize sometimes the play just isn't there and that some of those plays are when Mixon still manages to get 2 yds.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if he'd prefer to be cut or be coming off the bench.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 07:01 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I still just think it's just the easy thing to point to Mixon for our run game struggles. When I think the real issues is just everything. Our team run blocking isn't great probably in part because we don't want to commit to the run game. I really don't think it's Mixon making the run game look worse. He cuts to set up his blockers. Does he sometimes cut and miss a gap yes as any RB does but I think we can look at a guy like Chase Brown and see how many times he was tackled for a loss and realize sometimes the play just isn't there and that some of those plays are when Mixon still manages to get 2 yds.

See, I appreciate the good things that Joe Mixon has done for the team, but I can also clearly see that he's already reached his NFL ceiling.  Too many times I've watched him dance around, rather than hitting the quick hole for all it's worth.  Too many times I've watched him go down on first contact.  Too many times I've watched him struggle to understand when to make that cut on the stretch play.  In my opinion, it's time to move on at the RB position.  We have Brown who can provide some excitement, it's time to draft another sledgehammer.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 07:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, I appreciate the good things that Joe Mixon has done for the team, but I can also clearly see that he's already reached his NFL ceiling.  Too many times I've watched him dance around, rather than hitting the quick hole for all it's worth.  Too many times I've watched him go down on first contact.  Too many times I've watched him struggle to understand when to make that cut on the stretch play.  In my opinion, it's time to move on at the RB position.  We have Brown who can provide some excitement, it's time to draft another sledgehammer.

100%

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 07:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, I appreciate the good things that Joe Mixon has done for the team, but I can also clearly see that he's already reached his NFL ceiling.  Too many times I've watched him dance around, rather than hitting the quick hole for all it's worth.  Too many times I've watched him go down on first contact.  Too many times I've watched him struggle to understand when to make that cut on the stretch play.  In my opinion, it's time to move on at the RB position.  We have Brown who can provide some excitement, it's time to draft another sledgehammer.

I obviously appreciate what Mixon has done here on multiple levels that's why I will always look at him in a positive light. I also think we need to get more dynamic in the running game. I'm for keeping Mixon this year. But only really because what we save 6 mil by cutting him and would almost certainly need a free agent that would cut into that savings. Then it would drive up the RB need for the draft. I say keep Mixon and still keep an open mind to drafting a RB if the opportunity presents itself. But get more dynamic by the rotation and the way we use our runningbacks. Heck you could keep Mixon thru the draft and see what the market looks like after the draft. Does anybody honestly think either Mike Brown eats a 3 mil dollar loss by cutting Mixon or spends that 6 mill savings? 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 07:26 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I wonder if he'd prefer to be cut or be coming off the bench.

Even though I don't necessarily agree with it. You yourself as well as others have pointed out Mixon almost preforms better with other backs playing. If we do keep Mixon let's get an actual committee going.
Reply/Quote
In a Cowboys Chat YouTube video, a guy addresses the rumors of potentially trading for Mixon.

He starts talking about Mixon at 3:55, and he says he has issues with it because he thinks Mixon will be cut and he'd like to pick him up but he's not worth the assets they'd give up because he says Mixon's aging and is just a 4 YPC back. He says he's maybe giving up a day three pick but not giving up much for a 4 YPC back that doesn't offer much of a big play threat.

Says the money's too big and the running back market is too watered down so might as well just wait til he's cut.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 06:36 PM)pulses Wrote: Williams is replaceable with this kid here...good in pass pro too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lpVYif3QE&t=315s

Wow, might be the brewskies but this Kimani Vidal looks special to me. As much as I love Braelon Allen and Jonathan Brooks they aren't the best
in pass protection from what I hear. Vidal being good in pass pro is huge with all he shows in these vids, hard to tackle, good hands, great burst etc.

Thanks Pulses

Cool
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 06:36 PM)pulses Wrote: Williams is replaceable with this kid here...good in pass pro too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lpVYif3QE&t=315s

Not too shabby!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
At this point I think it'd be dumb to keep him, but can understand if the Bengals-Mixon relationship is more about feelings for one more season.

Ultimately, we need an above-average back on the cheap to help make the run-game more efficient. Only reason MIxon has stuck around for this long is because we've been unable to draft one in later rounds. But I think Brooks from Tx will be there in rounds 3-4. You want to talk about a potential season defining pick? Get this guy and watch him come out with a vengeance after he recovers from his ACL injury.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 03:37 AM)pulses Wrote: We have a lot of holes and NOT enough cap space is the problem. That's why you don't pay a RB almost 9 million when he's not worth it. Take the shades off.

This^^^^^^^^^
Reply/Quote
Move on from him. Use the money to fill holes where you can. Accept that the roster won't be perfect and at some positions we may have a committee of low end players (which isn't to say low end players can't be heroes). That's OK and you could argue KC just won an SB with a roster with some weaknesses.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 01:06 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, might be the brewskies but this Kimani Vidal looks special to me. As much as I love Braelon Allen and Jonathan Brooks they aren't the best
in pass protection from what I hear. Vidal being good in pass pro is huge with all he shows in these vids, hard to tackle, good hands, great burst etc.

Thanks Pulses

Cool

Nate...you don't like backs that can't protect the QB.  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 12:46 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: At this point I think it'd be dumb to keep him, but can understand if the Bengals-Mixon relationship is more about feelings for one more season.

Ultimately, we need an above-average back on the cheap to help make the run-game more efficient. Only reason MIxon has stuck around for this long is because we've been unable to draft one in later rounds. But I think Brooks from Tx will be there in rounds 3-4. You want to talk about a potential season defining pick? Get this guy and watch him come out with a vengeance after he recovers from his ACL injury.

Didn't know Jonathan Brooks is coming off of an ACL injury, gives me pause. Really wanted him before this, will he be 100% by TC?

(02-23-2024, 02:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Nate...you don't like backs that can't protect the QB.  Cool

Lol, yeah, I know, but sometimes I overlook it if they bring something special like say that guy the Lions drafted last year. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't know Jonathan Brooks is coming off of an ACL injury, gives me pause. Really wanted him before this, will he be 100% by TC?

Lol, yeah, I know, but sometimes I overlook it if they bring something special like say that guy the Lions drafted last year. Smirk

Well...this guy ain't that guy.

And i wanted Gibbs bad last year.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Surprise cap increase may save him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Well...this guy ain't that guy.

And i wanted Gibbs bad last year.

I know, Braelon Allen and Jahmyr Gibbs are complete opposites. One is a physical, bell cow bruiser and the other is a playmaking scat back.

I just want a RB or 2 that are hard to tackle this Offseason.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't know Jonathan Brooks is coming off of an ACL injury, gives me pause. Really wanted him before this, will he be 100% by TC?

I'll ask my GF who follows all things Texas football. It was definitely before the Big 12 title game. 
Reply/Quote