Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Mixon comments
(06-08-2023, 07:49 PM)Stewy Wrote: Which is why he should never be dancing and just hit the damn hole.

His running style reminds me a bit of Le’veon Bell but without his tackle breaking ability. Mixon shows good patience but he is easily brought down when he gets moving. Talented receiver, though.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 07:54 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: His running style reminds me a bit of Le’veon Bell but without his tackle breaking ability. Mixon shows good patience but he is easily brought down when he gets moving. Talented receiver, though.

Agreed, give me Dalvin Cook and let Mixon go if this keeps up and Dalvin is ready to go by the season. We could afford him after we cut 
Mixon. Chase Brown can handle the load in our pass first Offense along with Trayveon and both have shown the willingness in pass pro.

Patience means nothing without vision and the ability to break tackles with some semblance of balance. Chase Brown has great balance.

Actually the best in the Draft besides Bijan when comparing all the RB's.
Reply/Quote
I wish we could bench him if he shows his supreme lack of consistency. We know what we have in Joseph Mixon, I would prefer to give that money to Dalvin Cook, can he possibly be as bad?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2023, 08:02 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I wish we could bench him if he shows his supreme lack of consistency. We know what we have in Joseph Mixon, I would prefer to give that money to Dalvin Cook, can he possibly be as bad?

After listening to Zac on Solomon Wilcots podcast I doubt he’d swap Joe for Dalvin or Derrick Henry at the same price.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2023, 08:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: After listening to Zac on Solomon Wilcots podcast I doubt he’d swap Joe for Dalvin or Derrick Henry at the same price.

Zac is simply saying the right things. 

You wouldnt be so eager to gobble up coach speak if he was praising Jonah Williams

but he's praising a sooner, so you eat it up with a smile on your face

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 01:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Zac is simply saying the right things. 

You wouldnt be so eager to gobble up coach speak if he was praising Jonah Williams

but he's praising a sooner, so you eat it up with a smile on your face

I’ll plead the fifth but in all seriousness… Zac is the least coachspeak of the 32 coaches. If you listen to his comments on the podcast then you’d agree he’s sold on Joe. But I’ve been saying that since January.

I can’t imagine Joe survives after this season with the salary cap needs.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 03:11 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ll plead the fifth but in all seriousness… Zac is the least coachspeak of the 32 coaches. If you listen to his comments on the podcast then you’d agree he’s sold on Joe. But I’ve been saying that since January.

I can’t imagine Joe survives after this season with the salary cap needs.

Hope Mixon plays great but there is an open competition at RB and let the best man win. You DO have a bias like Frank says but that is 
cool and we all know it. I admit my biases on here just the same. I prefer a RB that can pass protect with great vision and balance. I think
that Chase Brown has these qualities. Cannot wait to see how Chase Brown does in TC and Preseason.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 09:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hope Mixon plays great but there is an open competition at RB and let the best man win. You DO have a bias like Frank says but that is 
cool and we all know it. I admit my biases on here just the same. I prefer a RB that can pass protect with great vision and balance. I think
that Chase Brown has these qualities. Cannot wait to see how Chase Brown does in TC and Preseason.

Yup

I think Chase Brown kinda flew under the radar last season. He just might turn some heads soon. I'm not saying the guy is the next Walter Payton. But I do feel he might become a decent contributor before this season is over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Many comments in this thread that are ignoring some real context.

Much of Mixon's apparent dancing was during wide-zone runs in which the RB has to be patient and find a hole. Perine literally never ran these types of runs. His were all gap, hit the hole and go. Thus Perine appeared to be more deliberate. See Mixon vs Buffalo and straight gap guns. I think Joe had an awful season for him but I think he still has juice. Thinking a 4th round rookie is coming in and taking Mixon's spot is a bit naive, IMHO.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 10:35 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Many comments in this thread that are ignoring some real context.

Much of Mixon's apparent dancing was during wide-zone runs in which the RB has to be patient and find a hole.  Perine literally never ran these types of runs. His were all gap, hit the hole and go.  Thus Perine appeared to be more deliberate.  See Mixon vs Buffalo and straight gap guns.  I think Joe had an awful season for him but I think he still has juice.  Thinking a 4th round rookie is coming in and taking Mixon's spot is a bit naive, IMHO.

Both Mixon and Perine received primarily gap runs last season. Mixon had 144 gap carries in total and Perine had 65 gap carries total. For zone, Perine received 39 zone carries. This equates to Mixon receiving 40% of his total carries as zone carries and Perine receiving 38%. Not a notable difference, which is to be expected really. Both guys should be receiving similar splits. 

Data is from PFF. 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 10:41 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Both Mixon and Perine received primarily gap runs last season. Mixon had 144 gap carries in total and Perine had 65 gap carries total. For zone, Perine received 39 zone carries. This equates to Mixon receiving 40% of his total carries as zone carries and Perine receiving 38%. Not a notable difference, which is to be expected really. Both guys should be receiving similar splits. 

Data is from PFF. 

Percentages mean nothing when one has more than twice as many carries.   I would also like to see the 1 to 2 reads from each player, it surely seemed as if Joe had many more stretch runs than Perine.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 09:53 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mixon was voted by his peers #38 best NFL player going into 2022. That was a year ago. . That old dog didn’t trick anybody. On the Solomon Wilcots podcast Zac was effusive about his punishing running wearing down teams and his vision and elusiveness in the open field. The reason he’s still here is the people who matter are fully entrenched with him. It’s blatantly obvious.

He has been ranked in the top 100 once during his career and after last season’s performance will most likely return to his usual unranked status.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 10:56 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Percentages mean nothing when one has more than twice as many carries.   I would also like to see the 1 to 2 reads from each player, it surely seemed as if Joe had many more stretch runs than Perine.

Percentage always matters - it's one of the few ways to compare with different volumes. When you say that Perine "literally never ran" zone runs and then respond with "percentages don't mean anything here" when provided with a rebuttal, it makes it difficult to have a conversation. Perine and Mixon had extremely similar splits, just with different volume, which is to be expected. 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 10:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He has been ranked in the top 100 once during his career and after last season’s performance will most likely return to his usual unranked status.

What I said was true as what you said is most likely true. But guess what? He’s got the full support of Zac and Mr Brown.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 11:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Percentage always matters - it's one of the few ways to compare with different volumes. When you say that Perine "literally never ran" zone runs and then respond with "percentages don't mean anything here" when provided with a rebuttal, it makes it difficult to have a conversation. Perine and Mixon had extremely similar splits, just with different volume, which is to be expected. 

They were shocked Perine left.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 11:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: What I said was true as what you said is most likely true. But guess what? He’s got the full support of Zac and Mr Brown.

So did Andy Dalton and Cordy Glenn.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 11:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Percentage always matters - it's one of the few ways to compare with different volumes. When you say that Perine "literally never ran" zone runs and then respond with "percentages don't mean anything here" when provided with a rebuttal, it makes it difficult to have a conversation. Perine and Mixon had extremely similar splits, just with different volume, which is to be expected. 

Perine ran less than 2 per game... it would seem to be much more relevant if the number were closer.  My intention was not to be adversarial.  

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 11:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Perine ran less than 2 per game... it would seem to be much more relevant if the number were closer.  My intention was not to be adversarial.  

Sure, I understand. And I apologize if I came off snotty. I’m not trying to jump on you or anything. My intention was just to point out that despite the volume differences, Mixon and Perine saw a similar distribution of gap vs. zone. My perspective is that Mixon has a very particular running style, like Lev Bell did but not quite as patient. Even later in the season when we had switched to more gap, he would still wait (basing on memory here).

This could have very well been forced as the offensive line never really hit a groove blocking, so his gaps may just have not been there and he was waiting for an alley to open.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 11:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So did Andy Dalton and Cordy Glenn.

But Andy did not have Zac . There lies the difference

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 11:28 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Sure, I understand. And I apologize if I came off snotty. I’m not trying to jump on you or anything. My intention was just to point out that despite the volume differences, Mixon and Perine saw a similar distribution of gap vs. zone. My perspective is that Mixon has a very particular running style, like Lev Bell did but not quite as patient. Even later in the season when we had switched to more gap, he would still wait (basing on memory here).

This could have very well been forced as the offensive line never really hit a groove blocking, so his gaps may just have not been there and he was waiting for an alley to open.

I don’t think there’s any question that Joe needs to be more decisive in his running. But geez I’d be gun shy too after all these years. Seriously

Reply/Quote