Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe burrow
(07-24-2022, 02:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How people dress/act/speak is a pretty polarizing subject, especially people in the public eye like Joe Burrow. 

What he does and how he does it, doesn't sit well with you. You're entitled to that. The only thing i'll add to this thread is that it's not usually a very good idea to espouse your opinions, like this, in a public forum because it's so subjective and 'person to person'. 

You were always going to get the responses you got here, just like anyone else would, because it's a personal taste issue. 

Probably better forwarded in reply to another thread or post, instead of creating a stand alone. I don't see this being constructive in any way. 

thank you for be respectful but are you saying i'm not allowed to give any critisims of our qb on a message board about the Bengals? i've read threads for years about andy dalton where people were destroying the guy so why does a thread about joe that gives a litle criticism need to be private? this seems like you're saying no one is allowed to have any criticims of joe in public here? i can't publicly share an opinion on a public board? does this apply to zac or lou or other players or is it just joe?
(07-24-2022, 02:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I get it' You can't win the game on 3rd and 25 from your own 10 five minutes into the game, throw the ball away. And I agree I think he needs to do a tad bit of a better job of knowing when to say when.

But in the same breath "living on the edge" or however you want to put it is just who Joe is. Highly competitive, full of zest and zing. You want to be careful about trying to take that away.

i can respect your view there. i just want him to be more ok with taking whats there, throwing it away and just realizing sometimes it's ok to live for another play.
(07-24-2022, 02:51 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: thank you for be respectful but are you saying i'm not allowed to give any critisims of our qb on a message board about the Bengals? i've read threads for years about andy dalton where people were destroying the guy so why does a thread about joe that gives a litle criticism need to be private? this seems like you're saying no one is allowed to have any criticims of joe in public here? i can't publicly share an opinion on a public board? does this apply to zac or lou or other players or is it just joe?

No, not at all. More of a heads up as to why a lot of the replies are going to be negative. 

From my experience, criticisms that come from play on the field--while not always positive (as you noted with Dalton)--are usually met with more constructive talk, than ones that are personal taste based. 

Like the one out of five points you made that i agreed with. There's, i think, legitimate discussion there. The personal taste stuff never goes well. And i'm speaking from about 22 years of message board and chat room experience. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(07-24-2022, 02:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Look at it this way:

If Joe's demeanor upsets you as a Bengal's fan; imagine how much it pisses off the "get off my lawn" type fans on other teams.

I don't agree with everything Joe says and wears, but just let Joe be Joe

people are trying to act like i'm the only one that sometimes has an issue with certain things he says or wears. obviously i'm not.

i respect your opinion to say let him be him, i just wish people would give me the same respect. these are my opinions. i'm not saying anyone has to agree, but i should be allowed to share them like everyone else here without being called names.
(07-24-2022, 02:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No, not at all. More of a heads up as to why a lot of the replies are going to be negative. 

From my experience, criticisms that come from play on the field--while not always positive (as you noted with Dalton)--are usually met with more constructive talk, than ones that are opinion-based. 

Like the one out of five points you made that i agreed with. There's, i think, legitimate discussion there. The personal taste stuff never goes well. And i'm speaking from about 22 years of message board and chat room experience. 

oh i see. thank you for the info and again for being respectful even if you disagree with me. 
(07-24-2022, 02:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I get it' You can't win the game on 3rd and 25 from your own 10 five minutes into the game, throw the ball away. And I agree I think he needs to do a tad bit of a better job of knowing when to say when.

But in the same breath "living on the edge" or however you want to put it is just who Joe is. Highly competitive, full of zest and zing. You want to be careful about trying to take that away.

Yup. You have to allow him to find where the edge is and learn not to fall off it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(07-24-2022, 02:54 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: i can respect your view there. i just want him to be more ok with taking whats there, throwing it away and just realizing sometimes it's ok to live for another play.

That has to do with his play maturing as he learns more about the pro game. This has nothing to do with his outside-the-game personality that you seemingly want to change.

His social awareness and clothing don't impact him being ok with taking hits.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

(07-24-2022, 02:59 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: people are trying to act like i'm the only one that sometimes has an issue with certain things he says or wears. obviously i'm not.

i respect your opinion to say let him be him, i just wish people would give me the same respect. these are my opinions. i'm not saying anyone has to agree, but i should be allowed to share them like everyone else here without being called names.

Some in here are more civil than others. But when we post our opinions on this board, we must expect retorts.

FWIW, the dude that called you a snowflake once tried to shame posters because they didn't have a problem with JB dressing like Cam because "He's white". You voice your disapproval and now.....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-24-2022, 03:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Some in here are more civil than others. But when we post our opinions on this board, we must expect retorts.

FWIW, the dude that called you a snowflake once tried to shame posters because they didn't have a problem with JB dressing like Cam because "He's white". You voice your disapproval and now.....

i don't mind people disagreeing. my opinons are mine and i just want to see what others think about it. what i don't like is the attacks because they don't like an opinion. and wow, i hadn't seen that with the guy that says snowflake all the time.
(07-24-2022, 01:40 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: joe is a super talented kid. he's capable of being the best qb in the nfl and keeping the Bengals in the SB hunt for years but there are things i think he needs to get away from if he's gonna do that.

he needs to get rid of the whole cam newton stuff.
he needs to keep the cockiness in check.
he needs to avoid the political mess.
he needs to remember its ok to get rid of the ball sometimes.
he needs to stop taking every little critcism to heart.

just go out and play joe. focus on winning, being as great as possible and let the other nonsense go. it aint important and doesn't help you at all. burrow can be tom brady level if he stays focused on what's really important.

I think Michael Jordon showed that taking every criticism to heart can be very motivating. Maybe it is not the best thing for one on a personal level (cue his Hall of fame speech), but professionally I think it works for many athletes. 

I did like Michael Jordan staying out of inundating us with his political points of view, despite criticism from those who assumed he would take their side (but who knows, he might have taken the opposite side). As such, he was an ambassador to all fans, regardless of their political persuasions. His area of expertise was basketball, not politics, and he made the NBA popular for previously casual fans like me. LeBron and his often-terribly-uninformed-and-hypocritical opinions has had the opposite effect on me and many fans. 
(07-24-2022, 03:19 PM)Nepa Wrote: I think Michael Jordon showed that taking every criticism to heart can be very motivating. Maybe it is not the best thing for one on a personal level (cue his Hall of fame speech), but professionally I think it works for many athletes. 

I did like Michael Jordan staying out of inundating us with his political points of view, despite criticism from those who assumed he would take their side (but who knows, he might have taken the opposite side). As such, he was an ambassador to all fans, regardless of their political persuasions. His area of expertise was basketball, not politics, and he made the NBA popular for previously casual fans like me. LeBron and his often-terribly-uninformed-and-hypocritical opinions has had the opposite effect on me and many fans. 

thank you for the response. very similar to my thoughts on the political stuff. i just don't feel it's needed.

interesting point about jordan. it did affect him off the court but it did drive him on it to. maybe i shouldn't be as concerned with that one as much. i do worry about the stuff with the ravens coming back on him, but maybe he can use it to keep owning them lol.
(07-24-2022, 02:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How people dress/act/speak is a pretty polarizing subject, especially people in the public eye like Joe Burrow. 

What he does and how he does it, doesn't sit well with you. You're entitled to that. The only thing i'll add to this thread is that it's not usually a very good idea to espouse your opinions, like this, in a public forum because it's so subjective and 'person to person'. 

You were always going to get the responses you got here, just like anyone else would, because it's a personal taste issue. 

Probably better forwarded in reply to another thread or post, instead of creating a stand alone. I don't see this being constructive in any way. 

I agree with your response to the post,rfaulk34,but tiger blood has a right to his opinion,and the responses shouldn’t include name calling and sarcasm.But,I guess he was sort of asking for it.Leaving himself wide open by actually starting a thread on it.If it was his comment on a thread,probably not as bad.

I have to admit,I get a little frustrated with Burrow for holding onto the ball to long sometimes.But hey,that’s who Joe Burrow is,and he fills like he can be successful on every play.He’s super competitive,and he doesn’t want to give up.By just throwing the ball away,when everything goes wrong,(which would be much better than taking the sack),he always feels that he can make the play.And,most of the time it works,but,sometimes it doesn’t.I personally,wouldn’t try to change anything about him.Just let him do his thing.
When you go to a team with 30 years of no playoff success...you need that confidence and swagger.

I'd let him be who he is.

If Dalton is the qb, we're not talking about how the culture changed.
(07-24-2022, 03:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When you go to a team with 30 years of no playoff success...you need that confidence and swagger.

I'd let him be who he is.

If Dalton is the qb, we're not talking about how the culture changed.

not to go down the dalton road, but he did help lead a culture change. first 5 years, 5 straight playoffs. the franchise had never come close to that before andy.
Joe needs to just keep doing what he's doing. Love the style, love the confidence (not cockiness), love the political stuff. Love that he is always trying to make a play and keeps in mind when he's withing field goal range (watch the Kollman video for info on when he does and does not take a sack). I love it all. Joe is Joe and it's awesome.
one thing i love about joe is his commitment to associate and be friends with every member of the team no matter who they are, which he talks about alot. thats a great leadership style.
(07-24-2022, 01:40 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: joe is a super talented kid. he's capable of being the best qb in the nfl and keeping the Bengals in the SB hunt for years but there are things i think he needs to get away from if he's gonna do that.

he needs to get rid of the whole cam newton stuff.
he needs to keep the cockiness in check.
he needs to avoid the political mess.
he needs to remember its ok to get rid of the ball sometimes.
he needs to stop taking every little critcism to heart.

just go out and play joe. focus on winning, being as great as possible and let the other nonsense go. it aint important and doesn't help you at all. burrow can be tom brady level if he stays focused on what's really important.

**** that, Joe's swagger that you call cockiness is what drives him to be great...
Joe could stand to throw the ball away a bit more often.

Changing his outfits has zero bearing on that. Voicing his politics has zero bearing on that.
Only issue I have with Joe and we are all agreement on is the Hero plays. While no doubt they got us to the SB... in order for a long career he must adapt.

Obviously a better O-Line should help... we shall see this upcoming season.
[Image: 1500x500]
(07-24-2022, 05:19 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Joe could stand to throw the ball away a bit more often.

Changing his outfits has zero bearing on that. Voicing his politics has zero bearing on that.

Joe should take note from noted sports journalist Laura Ingrham.  JUST SHUT UP AND DRIBBLE!!!  He's made statements that very much go against the general politics of Greater Cincinnatians, particularly the ones in suburban areas that surely buy a lot of tickets and merchandise.  

These statements have left the Bengals to deal with the fallout from one-time fans, who are giving up their season tickets by the thousands.  Literally nobody wants to pay to watch this team and their liberal quarterback. Frankly, if this continues, the team will need to relocated to some commie shitpit like Portland to find a fanbase willing to accept an upptiy leftist like Burrow.  

Personally, I'd be surprised if Trump didn't demand that Burrow apologize to him and his followers.  I heard he thinks he's a real Kaepernick SOB.  He's going to debut that line at his next Ohio rally.  

Oh wait.  No.  I'm mistaken here.  There's a wait list for season tickets for the first time I can remember.  Nobody cares about his political statements enough to impact the team or anything he does.  Must not be a very important issue, I guess.  I guess we can scrap the combine interview that ensures that whatever qb we draft share's the OP's politics.