Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joey Bosa
The Bengals trading away draft picks for anyone has 'Not Gonna Happen ' written all over it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 01:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: The Bengals trading away draft picks for anyone has 'Not Gonna Happen ' written all over it..

True, what makes an effective pass rush better than another 1st round corner who is injured or on the bench for years at a time, anyways?!
Reply/Quote
Would give next years first round pick, Hunt or Clarke to fill their DE spot, and Tate as the icing.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
People who think Bosa will bust worry about his speed, which is good, but not elite. I think he makes up for it in relentlessness. I realize that being relentless works better in college than the NFL, but I think he will be a good NFL defensive lineman, and maybe better than that.

I admit probably being affected by my OSU fandom, but it's my true opinion.

Also for those who think Bosa is not handling this right, I would just point out that both his father, and his uncle Eric Kumerow were NFL players, so the family knows something about this stuff.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 01:16 AM)Nately120 Wrote: True, what makes an effective pass rush better than another 1st round corner who is injured or on the bench for years at a time, anyways?!

If we don't take CBs in the first round then who are our starters?

It is not about what happens when players are rookies.  It is about building the best team possible.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 12:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Pick #32 next year for the #5 pick in this year's draft?  Yes, please.  

San Diego will win this battle, but Bosa seemed like an odd choice for a 3-4 line to begin with...now he won't have much practice learning his new spot.  Fine with me...one less team to worry about in the AFC.  Not that I was assuming much from them anyway, but any team with Phillip Rivers can get hot.  

San Diego will not win this battle.  They will end up paying him
Like every other top 5 pick under the new rookie wage scale.  

It would be bad for the league if he agrees to the structure they are trying to force.  
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 01:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: The Bengals trading away draft picks for anyone has 'Not Gonna Happen ' written all over it..

Trading picks for a veteran who you have to pay a veteran contract is one thing.  Trading draft picks for a young prospect on a rookie contract is another 
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 02:53 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: People who think Bosa will bust worry about his speed, which is good, but not elite.  I think he makes up for it in relentlessness. I realize that being relentless works better in college than the NFL, but I think he will be a good NFL defensive lineman, and maybe better than that.

I admit probably being affected by my OSU fandom, but it's my true opinion.

Also for those who think Bosa is not handling this right, I would just point out that both his father, and his uncle Eric Kumerow were NFL players, so the family knows something about this stuff.

And so do the San Diego Chargers, I find it a bit compelling that Bosa is the ONLY rookie draft pick not to have signed so far and as far as family knowing something about this stuff, not sure if his mother got that message.  I might be affected by my Michigan fandom, but it's my true opinion.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 09:55 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And so do the San Diego Chargers, I find it a bit compelling that Bosa is the ONLY rookie draft pick not to have signed so far and as far as family knowing something about this stuff, not sure if his mother got that message.  I might be affected by my Michigan fandom, but it's my true opinion.   Hilarious

Clearly you are not aware of the situation.  Bosa is getting a raw deal.  Regardless of who the Chargers picked this hold out would be happening.  If you don't believe me (and I wouldn't take my word for it just because I said it) go read up on the subject from credible sources.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 06:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Their trophy case seem to indicate something lacking.

I like the way you're thinking - but in the NFL there really is only one trophy, and the Bengals don't have one either.  I was thinking a year or so ago about how many crappy franchises (saints, bucs, seahawks, rams - even the pats used to suck)  have finally won superbowls - yet the Bengals have eluded the ultimate prize.  I sure hope it happens in my lifetime! Bang Head
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 08:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If we don't take CBs in the first round then who are our starters?

It is not about what happens when players are rookies.  It is about building the best team possible.

Ida know, I just think it's possible someone like Bosa could potentially be better in the short and long-term than a pick for depth.  Again, I'm just a bit burned because WJIII is on the DreK path of being injured in year 1 and then being a "rookie" in year 2 and so on and so forth.  I could be wrong, but it's a familiar story thus far. DreK is no bum, but we had to wait until year 4 or so before we were allowed to act like we had any idea about it.

On a lighter note I was looking at our 2012 draft because of DreK and I was reminded we took Still in the 2nd round.  Oof.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 01:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know, I just think it's possible someone like Bosa could potentially be better in the short and long-term than a pick for depth.  Again, I'm just a bit burned because WJIII is on the DreK path of being injured in year 1 and then being a "rookie" in year 2 and so on and so forth.  I could be wrong, but it's a familiar story thus far.  DreK is no bum, but we had to wait until year 4 or so before we were allowed to act like we had any idea about it.

On a lighter note I was looking at our 2012 draft because of DreK and I was reminded we took Still in the 2nd round.  Oof.

yeah.... But its always good news if your 1st round pick gets hurt and it doesn't change who the starters our.  Well good news for us at least as we have talent and depth in most places.   Would have been nice to get him a little work in on his rookie campaign.. but we still gotta get Dennard some work in as well.  And josh shaw..   

Like last year we drafted an injured rookie in the first round.  So Obgi is like our rookie first rounder this year...

Its a little off but whatever ill never cry about having more talent than we can get on the field.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 01:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah.... But its always good news if your 1st round pick gets hurt and it doesn't change who the starters our.  Well good news for us at least as we have talent and depth in most places.   Would have been nice to get him a little work in on his rookie campaign.. but we still gotta get Dennard some work in as well.  And josh shaw..   

Like last year we drafted an injured rookie in the first round.  So Obgi is like our rookie first rounder this year...

Its a little off but whatever ill never cry about having more talent than we can get on the field.

True, but I think people would stop worrying about depth the first time Bosa blindsides Pig Ben!  Ah well, guess I'm just spitballing here, but I'll probably eat my words in 16-48 months when WJIII is playing at a high level.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 10:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Clearly you are not aware of the situation.  Bosa is getting a raw deal.  Regardless of who the Chargers picked this hold out would be happening.  If you don't believe me (and I wouldn't take my word for it just because I said it) go read up on the subject from credible sources.
He is not getting a raw deal, he will get all his bonus, dispute is when 
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 01:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He is not getting a raw deal, he will get all his bonus, dispute is when 

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/08/joey-bosa-cheryl-bosa-chargers-spanos/[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]In this case, Team Spanos has refused to make an exception for Bosa in two of the few negotiable areas allowed by the NFL labor pact: offset language and the cash payout structure of his signing bonus.
The logic is easily grasped: if the Chargers break from their precedent, agents of other high-end draftees will insist on similar treatment.
However, the industry, by and large, has already gone there.
The Chargers have no precedent of drafting nearly this high under the current labor pact, agreed to in July 2011. It's pretty cheeky to go against the industry precedent attached with their draft position, and thus sacrifice their first-round draftee's developmental time. It's also unprecedented, with no draftee going unsigned this long under this collective bargaining agreement.
With other NFL clubs willing to bend –- at a time when league revenues continue to soar, serving up over $230 more million to each team this fiscal year above respective local revenues -- the Chargers are running a risk in perception.

From the fans...

Team Spanos or the 3 stooge's. Sell the team your embarrassing yourselves & the city of San Diego. If you can't compete with the big boys then get out. Winning is about $$. You have displayed over & over again that you just don't have it in the heart to compete at the NFL level. Go back to building apartments..
WOW TOM! Jalen Ramsey got ALL of his money AND offset language at PICK 5. This is ALL ON THE CHARGER FOR BEING CHEAPSKATES! 2 WORDS... LARRY ENGLISH!

Yet again the Spanos goofs find a way to screw things up. It is just one more example of their ineptitude. They should stop with nepotism, hire INTELLIGENT football people and get out of the way!

[/color]
  • 1  reply  +
    #5 [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]Bill Wisniewski[/color]
      80 points

joey is WAY OUT OF the spanos/charger's league. spanos is in WAY OVER his bald head.

• [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]Reply[/color]
    • [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]0 ▲[/color]
    • [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]0 ▼[/color]
    • [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]Promote[/color]
  • +
    #6 [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]Tom Conlon[/color]
      33 points

ATTENTION CHARGERS: If you want me to vote for your stadium in November, you must sign Bosa now or else please move away. Most San Diegans absolutely hate the Spanoses. I would rather my sons be drafted by ISIS than the tightwad Bolts.
Reply/Quote
If we make a trade for a DE for a first round pick then he better be a guy who is in his prime and ready to win a championship. I would rather look into Michael Bennett for a 3 to 5th Rd pick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 03:55 PM)J24 Wrote: If we make a trade for a DE for a first round pick then he better be a guy who is in his prime and ready to win a championship. I would rather look into Michael Bennett for a 3 to 5th Rd pick.

Very curious.  What makes you think that Seattle would trade Bennett for a 3-5th round pick?
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 04:03 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Very curious.  What makes you think that Seattle would trade Bennett for a 3-5th round pick?

He wants a new contract and maybe Seattle doesn't want to deal with that drama. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't but it still is worth the Bengals looking into right?
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 04:11 PM)J24 Wrote: He wants a new contract and maybe Seattle doesn't want to deal with that drama. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't but it still is worth the Bengals looking into right?

I just think if you're going to look into something, you have to be realistic.  Personally, I don't believe you come anywhere near Michael Bennett for a 3rd to 5th round pick.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 04:17 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I just think if you're going to look into something, you have to be realistic.  Personally, I don't believe you come anywhere near Michael Bennett for a 3rd to 5th round pick.

Well he is 30 years old, he is complaining about his contract, and he is a talker. Those three things would hurt is value.
J24

Reply/Quote