Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joey Bosa
I'm a huge OSU fan, thus a Bosa fan by association. would love to see an attempt made to bring him into the orange and black fold, but to be realistic, I can't see that happening until his initial rookie contract runs out, maybe signed as a FA sometime down the road. I've not known the Bengals of late to make very big splashes on trades or FA signings. Much more in the mold of draft well, retain guys and develop players from there. We've been in the playoffs an awful lot lately, so can't imagine our process will change. BUT, this definitely makes for interesting and thought provoking discussion/daydreaming. Had he fallen (somehow) to us this year in round 1, would have been an awesome pick!
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 01:44 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: I'm a huge OSU fan, thus a Bosa fan by association.  would love to see an attempt made to bring him into the orange and black fold, but to be realistic, I can't see that happening until his initial rookie contract runs out, maybe signed as a FA sometime down the road.  I've not known the Bengals of late to make very big splashes on trades or FA signings.  Much more in the mold of draft well, retain guys and develop players from there.  We've been in the playoffs an awful lot lately, so can't imagine our process will change.  BUT, this definitely makes for interesting and thought provoking discussion/daydreaming.  Had he fallen (somehow) to us this year in round 1, would have been an awesome pick!

well he cant be traded now.... unless he comes to terms with the chargers first then he could be traded...

Might be able to draft bosa next year.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 02:00 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/08/joey-bosa-cheryl-bosa-chargers-spanos/[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]In this case, Team Spanos has refused to make an exception for Bosa in two of the few negotiable areas allowed by the NFL labor pact: offset language and the cash payout structure of his signing bonus.
The logic is easily grasped: if the Chargers break from their precedent, agents of other high-end draftees will insist on similar treatment.
However, the industry, by and large, has already gone there.
The Chargers have no precedent of drafting nearly this high under the current labor pact, agreed to in July 2011. It's pretty cheeky to go against the industry precedent attached with their draft position, and thus sacrifice their first-round draftee's developmental time. It's also unprecedented, with no draftee going unsigned this long under this collective bargaining agreement.
With other NFL clubs willing to bend –- at a time when league revenues continue to soar, serving up over $230 more million to each team this fiscal year above respective local revenues -- the Chargers are running a risk in perception.

From the fans...

Team Spanos or the 3 stooge's. Sell the team your embarrassing yourselves & the city of San Diego. If you can't compete with the big boys then get out. Winning is about $$. You have displayed over & over again that you just don't have it in the heart to compete at the NFL level. Go back to building apartments..
WOW TOM! Jalen Ramsey got ALL of his money AND offset language at PICK 5. This is ALL ON THE CHARGER FOR BEING CHEAPSKATES! 2 WORDS... LARRY ENGLISH!

Yet again the Spanos goofs find a way to screw things up. It is just one more example of their ineptitude. They should stop with nepotism, hire INTELLIGENT football people and get out of the way!

[/color]
  • 1  reply  +
    #5 [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]Bill Wisniewski[/color]
      80 points

joey is WAY OUT OF the spanos/charger's league. spanos is in WAY OVER his bald head.

• [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]Reply[/color]
    • [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]0 ▲[/color]
    • [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]0 ▼[/color]
    • [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]Promote[/color]
  • +
    #6 [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7019607843137254)]Tom Conlon[/color]
      33 points

ATTENTION CHARGERS: If you want me to vote for your stadium in November, you must sign Bosa now or else please move away. Most San Diegans absolutely hate the Spanoses. I would rather my sons be drafted by ISIS than the tightwad Bolts.

Lets make this real simple.. almost all NFL teams do not sign on the opt out.. it is basically double dipping for the player,  as for the Bonus, he gets all his Bonus money.. Chargers are being tough on not giving it up front.. but no where is he going to lose out any of his what 17 million bonus etc (who has never played a down in the NFL).. let me repeat that 17 million and he gets all of it.... how many of us would be acting like this.

What he is going to miss out on is football, helping his team and workouts that are going to help his game in the NFL,, i think I would take Gate's advice and sign and get in and stop acting like such a Prima Donna.

PS  GO MICHIGAN...  Rock On
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 08:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Lets make this real simple.. almost all NFL teams do not sign on the opt out.. it is basically double dipping for the player,  as for the Bonus, he gets all his Bonus money.. Chargers are being tough on not giving it up front.. but no where is he going to lose out any of his what 17 million bonus etc (who has never played a down in the NFL).. let me repeat that 17 million and he gets all of it.... how many of us would be acting like this.

What he is going to miss out on is football, helping his team and workouts that are going to help his game in the NFL,, i think I would take Gate's advice and sign and get in and stop acting like such a Prima Donna.

I agree with everything you said but the text in bold...
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 08:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Lets make this real simple.. almost all NFL teams do not sign on the opt out.. it is basically double dipping for the player,  as for the Bonus, he gets all his Bonus money.. Chargers are being tough on not giving it up front.. but no where is he going to lose out any of his what 17 million bonus etc (who has never played a down in the NFL).. let me repeat that 17 million and he gets all of it.... how many of us would be acting like this.

Gates should mind hid ****** business. It's not his money nor his future.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 08:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Lets make this real simple.. almost all NFL teams do not sign on the opt out.. it is basically double dipping for the player,  as for the Bonus, he gets all his Bonus money.. Chargers are being tough on not giving it up front.. but no where is he going to lose out any of his what 17 million bonus etc (who has never played a down in the NFL).. let me repeat that 17 million and he gets all of it.... how many of us would be acting like this.

You do realize there is precedence for either the offset money and/or the bonus to be paid upfront, correct?  He is not asking for both.  Read quotes from the Spanos family, and they sound both extremely cheap and old fashioned.  I read one quote where Spanos said "these things happen, but they have a way of working themselves out".  Does that sound like anyone we know around here??
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 10:20 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You do realize there is precedence for either the offset money and/or the bonus to be paid upfront, correct?  He is not asking for both.  Read quotes from the Spanos family, and they sound both extremely cheap and old fashioned.  I read one quote where Spanos said "these things happen, but they have a way of working themselves out".  Does that sound like anyone we know around here??
You do realize he will get all his Bonus money regardless.  He is and will get ALL 17 MILLION regardless of when, so he is not missing out on any money at all either way, what  he is missing out on getting better as a football player and helping his team and building a better start to his NFL career.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 09:54 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I agree with everything you said but the text in bold...

All good, I was a child i loved their helmets so I became of fan of Michigan and I grew up in the Bo and Woody day so I loved that rival time period, then when I went into coaching the team I coached for had the same Michigan helmet so I was destined to be a fan I think.... lol
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 09:29 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: All good, I was a child i loved their helmets so I became of fan of Michigan and I grew up in the Bo and Woody day so I loved that rival time period, then when I went into coaching the team I coached for had the same Michigan helmet so I was destined to be a fan I think.... lol

that's too bad. What a sad destiny. 

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 09:26 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You do realize he will get all his Bonus money regardless.  He is and will get ALL 17 MILLION regardless of when, so he is not missing out on any money at all either way, what  he is missing out on getting better as a football player and helping his team and building a better start to his NFL career.

Think Bigger picture... Owners wanted the new rookie wage scale and it has worked tremendously.  They NFL owners should want to continue to follow the precedence set since 2011.  If bosa gets neither, this will become an ongoing issue moving forward.  Last thing the NFL needs is to go backwards on rookie wage scale. 

Agree bosa is missing out on football but this has NFLPA vs Owners/NFL written all over it.   It's just unfortunate this happened to Bosa.  I'd be willing to bet any player would be holding out in this situation based on advice from agent, friends family, and most importantly the influence of NFLPA. The owners gained all the leverage in 2011- this is the only area the player has input.

Additionally if a person is not happy with a contract/salary when they start a job, they typically never will be.  I agree with Bosa and if this were the bengals in the same situation i would also be on the players side.  If Bosa was drafted 6th overall chargers would be in the right, but being top 5 they are wrong
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 09:26 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You do realize he will get all his Bonus money regardless.  He is and will get ALL 17 MILLION regardless of when, so he is not missing out on any money at all either way, what  he is missing out on getting better as a football player and helping his team and building a better start to his NFL career.

All he wants is either the offset language or the bonus paid upfront, and there is precedence for both.  Because of the CBA that gave virtually all the power to the owners, these are the only areas of his contract that are negotiable. 

Yes, he is missing the football, but this is a business transaction to him.  One that will effect the rest of his life.  If he feels strongly about wanting one of the two provisions, which I understand his point, then he needs to stand firm.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 09:58 PM)jason Wrote: Gates should mind hid ****** business. It's not his money nor his future.

I read an article on Gates' comments today that implied the meaning behind what he publicly said was that Bosa should make sure he is studying his playbook and keeping up on his conditioning, not that he should sign a crappy deal...  He was just saying that in the process of holding out, a pro should make sure they are mentally and physically prepared to step right in and be at the same level as their teammates when things get worked out.  Nothing more than that, but that was my understanding of the situation, obviously I am not Antonio Gates and I cannot assume that was exactly what was on his mind when he made public comments about Bosa's contract situation
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 09:29 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: All good, I was a child i loved their helmets so I became of fan of Michigan and I grew up in the Bo and Woody day so I loved that rival time period, then when I went into coaching the team I coached for had the same Michigan helmet so I was destined to be a fan I think.... lol

At least you're a Bengals fan, so there's always that to fall back on.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 01:16 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: I read an article on Gates' comments today that implied the meaning behind what he publicly said was that Bosa should make sure he is studying his playbook and keeping up on his conditioning, not that he should sign a crappy deal...  He was just saying that in the process of holding out, a pro should make sure they are mentally and physically prepared to step right in and be at the same level as their teammates when things get worked out.  Nothing more than that, but that was my understanding of the situation, obviously I am not Antonio Gates and I cannot assume that was exactly what was on his mind when he made public comments about Bosa's contract situation

I never think that one player should comment on another player's contract.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 01:26 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I never think that one player should comment on another player's contract.

I completely agree with that.  I didn't take it as a comment on Bosa's contract as much as a distant piece of advice to keep up with his training and conditioning so that he isn't too far behind when things work out and he officially joins the team....
Reply/Quote