Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
JoeyB -Fortunately, not a lot to do in Cincinnati...
(12-23-2021, 02:39 PM)Tony Wrote: Why is Burrow getting killed in social media, and the media in general? Who cares? The kids from Ohio, he can say what he wants..

Because it's social media/news media, and outrage is their specialty.

I couldn't care less and found it funny, even though I don't really agree.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 11:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Btw Joe’s long term gf is from Cincy, so I guarantee you this was at least partially in jest (as if the smirk didn’t give it away enough).

I think it was completely in jest. Most of us average Joe's are capable of taking friends (from out of town) out on the town, and showing them a good to great time. These guys have way more resources than we do...

I've been really happy with our low COVID infections over these past 2 seasons. I don't know if it's by accident or design, but I hope they keep doing whatever they're doing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 03:04 PM)jason Wrote: I think it was completely in jest. Most of us average Joe's are capable of taking friends (from out of town) out on the town, and showing them a good to great time. These guys have way more resources than we do...

I've been really happy with our low COVID infections over these past 2 seasons. I don't know if it's by accident or design, but I hope they keep doing whatever they're doing.

Drs would point to the fact that all of their practices are outdoors as a factor in preventing spread

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 10:46 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would hope he stop trashing Cincy, so Cleve has alot to do ?? #$$& Cleveland..

I'm sure Hebert the Pervert would love cincy! Right?
Reply/Quote
Carlos Dunlap chimed in...

damndunlap
Verified
Relax guys he’s still learning the city. It’s been 2+ COVID years. Don’t crucify the man for sticking to football and quarantining.

Back in 2010- 2020 B.C. (Before Covid) we had blast many cincy nights ?

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 03:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Because it's social media/news media, and outrage is their specialty.

I couldn't care less and found it funny, even though I don't really agree.

I'm furious that you don't care bro!!!

I'm sure there are more than a few that are taking these comments as a sign that he will leave Cincinnati when his contract is up too... I remember prior to 2010 the people in Cleveland would hang on LeBron's every word, and dissect them for hints on his future plans.

I haven't read a comment section in years now. I plan to keep it that way.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'm not flipping through all 4 pages of this thread to see if this was mentioned, but there are three reasons you don't make this comment even as a joke:

1) You have a lot of connections to the city through people who are invested in the "nothing to do" nightlife. Such as Jeff Ruby who has had multiple meals happen while recruiting new free agents. You don't want to slap these people in the face who provide this service for your team, and spend money on season tickets to give away or for staff or for themselves. There is a large connection between bars and sports teams in the cities that have them. Don't burn that bridge.

2) You just turned off a lot of potential free agents. Burrow spent the off-season having the above mentioned dinners with people and trying to get them to come play here. Now you just said, come spend several months here for a season of football, but there is nothing to do. That is not a great recruitment tool.

3) You insulted a portion of your fanbase. While there will be some who don't live in Cincinnati or saw it as a joke or whatever, there will also be a portion of your fanbase who didn't take it as a joke and are highly offended. Be it they own a bar in OTR, or work in one, or just love their city. It's just a dumb comment to make if you are trying to be the leader of a team. Why run the risk of pissing off any part of your fanbase with a comment to try and be "funny" when it could have been 100% avoided by saying something like "We are focused on football, not on the nightlife." No chance to offend with that. He's young and hopefully he learns from this shit strorm on social media.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 03:30 PM)pally Wrote: there is not a lot to do in Cincinnati so the players aren't going out to clubs and bars catching COVID.  Well, I guess that is one way to keep players safe...

He was joking lol

I got tons to do in Wyoming and it ain't clubbin' hahaha

BTW, Burrow DOES drink when he celebrates, he did when LSU won the Championship. 

Hope he is celebrating the same way come February. CheersDrunkWasted
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 06:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He was joking lol

I got tons to do in Wyoming and it ain't clubbin' hahaha

BTW, Burrow DOES drink when he celebrates, he did when LSU won the Championship. 

Hope he is celebrating the same way come February. CheersDrunkWasted

Hopefully, he handles his booze better after he leads us to a Super Bowl than how Brady did. Man that Lombardi came so close to swimming lessons lol
Reply/Quote
It really pissed me off when Jake Arrieta said this in 2015. Of course at this time the Banks was still being built up and OTR was in the middle of it's resurgence.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog/2015/03/14/cubs-jake-arrieta-hates-cincinnati/24757367/

Quote:Cubs' Jake Arrieta hates Cincinnati
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't put so much stock in what he said, but what is the actual message behind it. Few teams in the NFL have been as relatively unaffected by the new omicron wave as the Bengals. That's very good and certainly the result of the disciplined behavior of the entire team in recent weeks. We can see how it can be different with the Ravens right now. I don’t care whether it's because of the nightlife or not.
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow is from Athens, Ohio.

He knows what “nothing to do” really means. He is definitely joking.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 04:12 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm not flipping through all 4 pages of this thread to see if this was mentioned, but there are three reasons you don't make this comment even as a joke:

1) You have a lot of connections to the city through people who are invested in the "nothing to do" nightlife. Such as Jeff Ruby who has had multiple meals happen while recruiting new free agents. You don't want to slap these people in the face who provide this service for your team, and spend money on season tickets to give away or for staff or for themselves. There is a large connection between bars and sports teams in the cities that have them. Don't burn that bridge.

2) You just turned off a lot of potential free agents. Burrow spent the off-season having the above mentioned dinners with people and trying to get them to come play here. Now you just said, come spend several months here for a season of football, but there is nothing to do. That is not a great recruitment tool.

3) You insulted a portion of your fanbase. While there will be some who don't live in Cincinnati or saw it as a joke or whatever, there will also be a portion of your fanbase who didn't take it as a joke and are highly offended. Be it they own a bar in OTR, or work in one, or just love their city. It's just a dumb comment to make if you are trying to be the leader of a team. Why run the risk of pissing off any part of your fanbase with a comment to try and be "funny" when it could have been 100% avoided by saying something like "We are focused on football, not on the nightlife." No chance to offend with that. He's young and hopefully he learns from this shit strorm on social media.

Tbf, he’s in front of the press and they asked a question. He did his best to answer. Doesn’t really matter and doubt anything would have came from the comments had a writer not used click-bait content. Also, he said not a lot, he didn’t say there was nothing to do. I doubt he weakened our FA over the comment or even upset business owners. As for fans, I haven’t read or witnessed anyone pissed about what he said, only a few questioning it.

If it did weaken our FA, then it’s an acceptable trade off. I doubt the team or the organization want players coming here because of the nightlife. 

Reply/Quote
Comparing any smaller midwestern cities against the gigantic metropolises like NY, Chicago, LA, even NOLA etc.. Pretty mild.. That said, in my younger days I always found things to do at night regardless of bar closing times or if there were even bars within fifty miles..  Then again, I was never the Hiesman trophy winner or a first overall draft pick nor a stud QB.. I know..Hard to believe, huh?  Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Ain’t nothing good happen aftah midnight
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 08:40 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Tbf, he’s in front of the press and they asked a question. He did his best to answer. Doesn’t really matter and doubt anything would have came from the comments had a writer not used click-bait content. Also, he said not a lot, he didn’t say there was nothing to do. I doubt he weakened our FA over the comment or even upset business owners. As for fans, I haven’t read or witnessed anyone pissed about what he said, only a few questioning it.

If it did weaken our FA, then it’s an acceptable trade off. I doubt the team or the organization want players coming here because of the nightlife. 

Burrow himself actually strengthens our ability to sign top FA’s. Reader said as much wrt why he chose us over Denver. And plenty of other players are going to want to come here and play with one of the best young QB’s in the game as well. Worrying about this comment hurting us in FA is beyond silly.

And like you said, we’d rather have players that want to focus on winning football games during the season anyway. They can go party and enjoy the nightlife in Miami or wherever during the spring.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 09:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow himself actually strengthens our ability to sign top FA’s. Reader said as much wrt why he chose us over Denver. And plenty of other players are going to want to come here and play with one of the best young QB’s in the game as well. Worrying about this comment hurting us in FA is beyond silly.

And like you said, we’d rather have players that want to focus on winning football games during the season anyway. They can go party and enjoy the nightlife in Miami or wherever during the spring.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
When Deion Sanders played for the Reds he said he liked the fact that he could go anywhere in town and keep a low profile. I think he even said he rode a bicycle to the stadium. Of course a lot has changed in Cincy since then.
Reply/Quote
[Image: FHZZhZ1XEAcy67A?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 08:46 AM)grampahol Wrote: Comparing any smaller midwestern cities against the gigantic metropolises like NY, Chicago, LA, even NOLA etc.. Pretty mild.. That said, in my younger days I always found things to do at night regardless of bar closing times or if there were even bars within fifty miles..  Then again, I was never the Hiesman trophy winner or a first overall draft pick nor a stud QB.. I know..Hard to believe, huh?  Shocked

Yeah, a lot of college kids complained when I was in college, but I always felt like it was just them trying to be cool and to sound like they're too good for Cinci/Northern Kentucky.

The streets might not be as crazy and the area might not be as flashy, but we always had a good time going out in Covington, Newport, downtown, OTR, Mount Adams, Clifton, etc.

I'm glad I lived in Greater Cincinnati for my college years!
Reply/Quote