Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
JoeyBs contract comes first
(06-29-2023, 03:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And hes still one of the least deep targeted WRs in the league... 

What is cool is Chase doesn't have to be targeted deep, he can catch the ball underneath and it can go the distance at any time.

Such great balance and strength to go along with his speed.

(06-29-2023, 03:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They’d signed Irv Smith and Drew Sample. They’d loved to find a Guy somewhere in the draft. But they weren’t passing on Myles Murphy. So let’s revisit. They were dead set against Mayer because of his blocking and separation. Nobody in their right mind picks him over Murphy. DE is probably the #2 most important position on the team and several experts tag him as the number one steal in the first round. So let’s go to #2 round. La Porta they’d picked but was gone. Washington had injury concerns. He dropped like a rock. D J Turner gives the secondary potentially in another year the fastest secondary in the league. Lou loves Battle they weren’t passing on him. The draft sequencing just didn’t fit for us. When Hendrickson got hurt our pass rush suffered. Enter Murphy. When Boyd went down they double teamed our WR. Enter Jones. 2 safeties gone to FA enter Battle and Scott. Perine gone enter Chase Brown. There was a puzzle and it fit well.

Oh if Smith gets hurt then it’s a blow but is better that we have a problem there or at DE? What about if CTB or Awouzie go down? Better to be ready there than TE. I just think as others have said the TE is not a priority in an offense with Chase,Higgins, and Boyd. Burrow has never even in college been prone to go to the TE. I think they’d picked La Porta if he’d have dropped to him.

Yeah, I understand with the way the Draft fell why they didn't take a TE early. I would of taken a TE in the 7th over Ivey though even 
if he has been looking good so far. I don't care for our TE's after Irv Smith Jr who has had trouble staying healthy. I would of brought
back Wilcox over Sample and Asiasi both. I actually like Jalen Davis and George as our Corner depth.
Reply/Quote
If they are waiting for Herbert as recently reported, the contract may not get done this summer, which will hold up Tee's, Wilsons, and even a potential Reader extension.

Chargers are in no hurry to extend Herbert who doesn't have the success Burrow has giving them the ability to wait a year later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2023, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What is cool is Chase doesn't have to be targeted deep, he can catch the ball underneath and it can go the distance at any time.

Such great balance and strength to go along with his speed.

Yeah, I understand with the way the Draft fell why they didn't take a TE early. I would of taken a TE in the 7th over Ivey though even 
if he has been looking good so far. I don't care for our TE's after Irv Smith Jr who has had trouble staying healthy. I would of brought
back Wilcox over Sample and Asiasi both. I actually like Jalen Davis and George as our Corner depth.

I completely agree. But Sample they like his overall play I guess. I liked Wilcox too. But they really IMO like Irv in some situations and Sample as a blocker in others. Of course that makes them predictable. But again JMHO people on here value unpredictability too much. I’m not going to pound my chest with the college head coaches and several OC’s I know/knew or current NFL coaches. No I don’t get Christmas cards from any and only have one cell phone number. We don’t meet for coffee. Used too. But the one that believed that matchups was by far the most important was Chuck Long who I know really well. If Sample and his blocking (and execution consistency ) gives us a better chance for success then so be it. Irv Smith gives us a huge matchup advantage. If he can stretch it when teams play deep cover 2 he’s gonna tear it up. With him and our other 3 receivers you’d better bring your A game in coverage.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 11:55 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I completely agree. But Sample they like his overall play I guess. I liked Wilcox too. But they really IMO like Irv in some situations and Sample as a blocker in others. Of course that makes them predictable. But again JMHO people on here value unpredictability too much. I’m not going to pound my chest with the college head coaches and several OC’s I know/knew or current NFL coaches. No I don’t get Christmas cards from any and only have one cell phone number. We don’t meet for coffee. Used too.  But the one that believed that matchups was by far the most important was Chuck Long who I know really well. If Sample and his blocking (and execution consistency ) gives us a better chance for success then so be it. Irv Smith gives us a huge matchup advantage. If he can stretch it when teams play deep cover 2 he’s gonna tear it up. With him and our other 3 receivers you’d better bring your A game in coverage.

Good stuff Soonerpeace. I will just add this, when Mitchell Wilcox came in and played last year he played some great games in our 
win streak. I specifically remember a play in the Chiefs game where he did a pull and handled Chris Jones on a pull block. Talk about
a TE getting nasty in blocking arguably the best DT in the game.

Haven't seen Drew Sample contribute near as much in us winning games, but a couple years ago he did pave the way for some Mixon
TD runs so I am not completely down on him. I just like the dudes that have been helping us win lately. Sample I guess could surprise
me but I am not counting on it. Hope we either bring back Wilcox or add another TE once cuts are made or both.

This sure would make me feel more comfortable at the TE position going into the season. We just cannot count on Irv Smith Jr staying 
healthy. Love the upside and he is looking great but we all know what Eifert was for us as well, dude was glass with immense talent.

The talent don't matter if you cannot show it.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tyler Boyd was the first WR they've signed to a veteran deal worth $10+ mill APY who wasn't their WR1.
Every other WR2 was getting around $7 mill APY or less.

Going back to when they lost Housh to $8 mill APY to SEA...
Coles - 4 year, $28 mill ($7 mill APY)
Bryant - 4 year, $28 mill ($7 mill APY)
Owens - 1 year, $4 mill
LaFell - 2 years, $10 mill ($5 mill APY)

Back then, the salary cap was about 53% what it is now, so you could realistically say the Bengals would have spent around the equivalent of $13-14 mill today for a WR2 if going off the same salary cap percentage.

I can see Bengals willing to pay around $15-17 mill APY for Higgins with the first 1-2 years maybe in the $18-20 mill range so that the cap hit is lower when Chase's new contract hits, but I can't see them paying $20+ mill APY for Higgins, which I think he could get on the open market from a team looking to really have him be the majority target share as a true WR1.

I agree...I just think it's in their nature to offer to their guys! I love Housh, but Tee may be the most dynamic #2 we've ever had!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 08:40 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: I agree...I just think it's in their nature to offer to their guys! I love Housh, but Tee may be the most dynamic #2 we've ever had!

Tee is the best WR2 we have ever had. TJs best three year stretch is slightly better than Tees first three years in the league. However Tyler Boyd as a number 3 is suppressing Tees impact, and rightfully so.
Reply/Quote
As clutch and popular Touraj was, Higgins is a better receiver, period.

Maybe his hands are worse, but that's it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Justin Herbert has agreed his extension and reset the market at 52.5m per year.

Few talking heads were saying burrow was waiting for Herbert to sign so he could use it in negotiations.
Reply/Quote
I don't like these 5 year extensions. I want Joey B to sign for eight but I'm hoping for at least a 6 year extension.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 08:40 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: I agree...I just think it's in their nature to offer to their guys! I love Housh, but Tee may be the most dynamic #2 we've ever had!

Do we count T.O.? He was more of a 1 year rental. It's hard for me to consider him a Bengal in the spirit of things.

T.O. had more targets & yards than Chad that season. Maybe that makes Chad the #2? I wouldn't have thought that.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 12:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are you talking about? There have numerous times where they've had two good receivers and they've ended up signing one and letting the other go in free agency. 

But they offered contracts to the number 2 receiver, they always have!! Some teams don't even offer!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 08:49 AM)Synric Wrote: I don't like these 5 year extensions. I want Joey B to sign for eight but I'm hoping for at least a 6 year extension.

Meet in the middle at lucky #7?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 07:13 AM)gman657 Wrote: Justin Herbert has agreed his extension and reset the market at 52.5m per year.

Few talking heads were saying burrow was waiting for Herbert to sign so he could use it in negotiations.

My unrealistic wishful thinking is that Joe wanted to go last bc he is doing a slightly team friendly deal and didn't want that to negatively impact other QBs that were due this year 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 09:33 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Meet in the middle at lucky #7?

Sounds much better than 5 that is for sure. Want Smokin' Joe locked up for a long, long time.

Then extend him again once the 7 years are about up...

(07-26-2023, 09:34 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: My unrealistic wishful thinking is that Joe wanted to go last bc he is doing a slightly team friendly deal and didn't want that to negatively impact other QBs that were due this year 

Probably is unrealistic, but I am also the King of Wishful Thinking. Cool
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 09:48 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: As clutch and popular Touraj was, Higgins is a better receiver, period.

Maybe his hands are worse, but that's it.

No doubt. Higgins is close to Chad Johnson. And IF Chase wasn't here, Tee's numbers would probably be really high like OchoCinco.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 03:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No doubt. Higgins is close to Chad Johnson. And IF Chase wasn't here, Tee's numbers would probably be really high like OchoCinco.

Idk if I’d go this far.

Chad was literally the best WR in the league not named Moss or Owens for about a 3 year stretch. Tee is borderline top 10 (I’d personally put him 10-15).

Reply/Quote
Looks like the Bengals slid that Hendrickson extension in before the Burrow deal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 09:34 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: My unrealistic wishful thinking is that Joe wanted to go last bc he is doing a slightly team friendly deal and didn't want that to negatively impact other QBs that were due this year 

Joe said he wants to get paid what he's worth. He's worth more than Herbert. I think what Joe will do is structure his deal in a team friendly deal to allow other players to be signed now. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 10:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk if I’d go this far.

Chad was literally the best WR in the league not named Moss or Owens for about a 3 year stretch. Tee is borderline top 10 (I’d personally put him 10-15).

Agreed and I was a known Chad hater at times with his antics, but he was the best WR in the NFL for years.

I don't know if Tee will ever hit being the best WR in the NFL in 1 year. Ja'Marr Chase on the other hand....

(07-27-2023, 02:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looks like the Bengals slid that Hendrickson extension in before the Burrow deal.

Cool

(07-27-2023, 02:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Joe said he wants to get paid what he's worth. He's worth more than Herbert. I think what Joe will do is structure his deal in a team friendly deal to allow other players to be signed now. 

I think so too, more spread out than Herbert's contract, but Burrow will be the highest paid QB in the NFL when all is said and done.
Reply/Quote