Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross
I read an article on him on the official site. He seems like a decent kid from the few quotes i read. With that said I went back and watched some tape of his in college. Even though I wasn't stoked about the pick I could definitely see his talent and skillset translating well to the NFL.

I know how everyone is down on him and perhaps rightly so but if he stays healthy, I think he will contribute this season. His top end speed to go along with good route running and ability to stick his foot in the ground and switch directions is remarkable. He literally just runs past people and leaves them in the dust in college yet he's not just a speed burner like Ted Ginn. I still don't think he's worthy of a top 10 pick because of his lack of size and injury concern but I expect him to be a solid #2 WR in this NFL in the mode of a DeSean Jackson.

I really hope the guy has his head on straight and can stay healthy because if he does, he'll be just fine.
Reply/Quote
I think it’s an even mix of JR on ML as to the amount of snaps he had last year. Also think there’s a chance he is a bit intimidated by the speed and talent in the NFL.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 08:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think it’s an even mix of JR on ML as to the amount of snaps he had last year. Also think there’s a chance he is a bit intimidated by the speed and talent in the NFL.

The fastest guy at the combine, intimidated by speed?  Shocked

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not going to lie, I liked the pick. I was hoping he could be a DeSean Jackson type of player. He undoubtedly has the speed, and he's not really a bad route runner at all. Watching the suddenness of his feet reminded me a little of Chad. They're a blur.

I kind of feel like Ross' problems stem from injury. He was a little banged up coming out and nobody ever really seemed to let on that he was ever 100 percent last year. I think that limited him in his prep and made the staff a little nervous about playing him much.

I hope that this is the case. If he's so bad that he sees as little action this year as he did last, then that was a massive screwup of a pick. This team could really use a vertical threat like that. I still don't think that's the case, but I guess we'll see.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 10:46 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The fastest guy at the combine, intimidated by speed?  Shocked

Yes.

And my god was he not worthy of where he was selected. He just needs to stay healthy and hold on to the damn ball. I personally think he doesn’t hold up. Too small. Can’t take an nfl hit. Hope I’m wrong but everything that made me sick to my stomache about this pick cane true during the season. Doesn’t have a tough mans mantality, too small for the league injury prone and it was on display whenever he was on the field. Again hope I’m wrong but he needs to buck up or gtf on. I don’t care how good of a kid he is at this point
Reply/Quote
I liked the pick. Everyone is so focused on his speed, but he's so much more than that. He's a really good WR, or at least he was in college. Good route runner, good change of direction, good red zone target, good speed. He seems to have it all. It's going to be a matter of him staying healthy. That remains to be the biggest question mark surrounding him in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 11:11 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Yes.

And my god was he not worthy of where he was selected.  He just needs to stay healthy and hold on to the damn ball.  I personally think he doesn’t hold up.  Too small.  Can’t take an nfl hit.  Hope I’m wrong but everything that made me sick to my stomache about this pick cane true during the season.  Doesn’t have a tough mans mantality, too small for the league injury prone and it was on display whenever he was on the field.  Again hope I’m wrong but he needs to buck up or gtf on.  I don’t care how good of a kid he is at this point

"Doesn't have a tough man's mentality?" Dude. Come on. He played nearly his entire senior season at Washington with a torn labrum and produced great numbers. He's plenty tough enough. With the NFL injury rules I would think it more likely that the Bengals held him out rather than he held himself out. There's a difference between the two.

I mean, I understand potential reasons as to why people would knock the pick: Major injuries in college, size - which I, personally, don't get because he's 1" taller and 7lbs heavier than Antonio Brown, only 1 season (his senior) of significant production, etc. But saying he isn't tough is directly insulting to him as a person and not about his abilities or short comings as a player, while ignoring the current state of the injury-paranoid NFL. He was injured on his one play he touched the ball, yes, but didn't take himself out. Marvin did. Ross would have kept playing if it were up to him.

"He isn't tough" just doesn't hold up at all given his background of playing really well for long periods through significant injury and pain.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 10:46 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The fastest guy at the combine, intimidated by speed?  Shocked

Yes. He's a kid and I think he is a bit intimidated. He's not used to this level of competition. He can be the fastest man alive, but if he doesn't have the confidence? He's no better than anyone else on the field. I blame Marvin for this too however, he did the exact opposite of what a coach should do with this kid.

Reply/Quote
i wanted the TE O.J. Howard....
so we get Ross....
runs one reverse, gets hit & fumbles the ball....
A.D. passed the ball to him two times....
he caught neither of them...
on the one play he ran 3/4 of the route then stopped running....just gave up on the play & the ball went over his head....
just seems like he's not interested.....
1st year a total waste......
SMH....
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 02:18 PM)Steve Wrote: i wanted the TE O.J. Howard....
so we get Ross....
runs one reverse, gets hit & fumbles the ball....
A.D. passed the ball to him two times....
he caught neither of them...
on the one play he ran 3/4 of the route then  stopped running....just gave up on the play & the ball went over his head....
just seems like he's not interested.....
1st year a total waste......
SMH....

When I read your comment, lack of discipline, fear & coaching is what comes to my mind. 

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 02:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: When I read your comment, lack of discipline, fear & coaching is what comes to my mind. 

Those items, and perhaps scouting via highlight reel on the internet might not be the best identifiers of 1st round picks?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 02:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: When I read your comment, lack of discipline, fear & coaching is what comes to my mind. 

reminds me of a parent sending a kid to the store to buy groceries....
they tell him to buy meat & taters....
the kid comes back w/ a big bag of candy.... Sick
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 02:48 PM)Steve Wrote: reminds me of a parent sending a kid to the store to buy groceries....
they tell him to buy meat & taters....
the kid comes back w/ a big bag of candy.... Sick

Shit... Been there!

Reply/Quote
I’ve been a John Ross supporter since I researched him leading up to last year’s draft. A lot of fans just are frustrated that Ross didn’t do anything as a rookie and also irritated the Bengals took a player with a big injury history and have been skeptical of the pick ever since.

If John Ross doesn’t contribute significantly by 2019 season, I’ll admit I was wrong about him. Until then, I’ll continue to support and defend him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 03:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I’ve been a John Ross supporter since I researched him leading up to last year’s draft. A lot of fans just are frustrated that Ross didn’t do anything as a rookie and also irritated the Bengals took a player with a big injury history and have been skeptical of the pick ever since.

If John Ross doesn’t contribute significantly by 2019 season, I’ll admit I was wrong about him. Until then, I’ll continue to support and defend him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To bolded:  Rightfully so, don't you think?  With all of the needs that the Bengals had, they chose to select a small, frail built guy with a history of injuries?  A player like John Ross should have been a luxury addition to an already well stocked team.

Let's face it, the Bengals haven't been picking very well in recent years.  Dre K, slow to develop.  Dennard, injuries have slowed development.  WJ3, lost a season to injury.  Oguehi and Fisher, freakin' train wreck.  Tyler Boyd, very slow to develop.  Tyler Eifert, fantastic player that can't stay on the field.  Now, add John Ross to the lengthy list of early selections that did nothing in their 1st season.  

Is it any wonder that fans might be quick to write off John Ross?  Our scouting department appears to be doing a terrible job, the past 5 years, and our management doesn't believe in utilizing free agency much.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 02:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes. He's a kid and I think he is a bit intimidated. He's not used to this level of competition. He can be the fastest man alive, but if he doesn't have the confidence? He's no better than anyone else on the field. I blame Marvin for this too however, he did the exact opposite of what a coach should do with this kid.

Exactly with respect to Marv....I don't put that on Ross at all.  It was only one play, but Ross wasn't looking to head out of bounds or avoid contact on his end-around.  The kid has phenomenal talent.  I loved the pick and still do.  I can't stand the conservative douchebag HC that blames EVERYONE but himself for their failures.

Here is an interesting article from CBSsports.com:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marvin-lewis-accuses-bengals-first-round-pick-of-concealing-shoulder-injury-from-team/

It goes in to more than just the injury that Ross "hid" from the team.  I thought Ross Tucker (via twitter) and the author made interesting points about Ross.  
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 03:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To bolded:  Rightfully so, don't you think?  With all of the needs that the Bengals had, they chose to select a small, frail built guy with a history of injuries?  A player like John Ross should have been a luxury addition to an already well stocked team.

Let's face it, the Bengals haven't been picking very well in recent years.  Dre K, slow to develop.  Dennard, injuries have slowed development.  WJ3, lost a season to injury.  Oguehi and Fisher, freakin' train wreck.  Tyler Boyd, very slow to develop.  Tyler Eifert, fantastic player that can't stay on the field.  Now, add John Ross to the lengthy list of early selections that did nothing in their 1st season.  

Is it any wonder that fans might be quick to write off John Ross?  Our scouting department appears to be doing a terrible job, the past 5 years, and our management doesn't believe in utilizing free agency much.

I disagree completely, Sunset.  You can't call Ross small and frail when he is bigger than Antonio Brown.  He may have had a "history of injury", but one of his main issues stemmed from when he switched mid-season from WR to CB because his teammate, Marcus Peters, had been suspended.  

I don't know many WRs that could suddenly be making tackles with regularity as well as returning kicks without getting nicked up.  

Look at how he came back from the knee injury?  The fastest 40 yard dash EVER at the combine?  

If you go on youtube, you will see how he embarrassed first-round pick Adoree Jackson when they went head to head.  And Ross did take his fair share of poundings in college football.

The thought of him opposite AJ Green should have opened up everything for this offense.  I don't have much faith left, but my hope is Lazur can do something now that the Piano Man is gone and we FINALLY saw what backup linemen could do over the starting shitstorm.  Lazur will know that his success will hinge largely of taking advantage of the other side of the field from Green.  Force teams to adjust.  If he does that, Ross will prove he was the right choice.  
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 03:59 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly with respect to Marv....I don't put that on Ross at all.  It was only one play, but Ross wasn't looking to head out of bounds or avoid contact on his end-around.  The kid has phenomenal talent.  I loved the pick and still do.  I can't stand the conservative douchebag HC that blames EVERYONE but himself for their failures.

Here is an interesting article from CBSsports.com:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marvin-lewis-accuses-bengals-first-round-pick-of-concealing-shoulder-injury-from-team/

It goes in to more than just the injury that Ross "hid" from the team.  I thought Ross Tucker (via twitter) and the author made interesting points about Ross.  

Marvin is always seeking a scapegoat to explain his failures. MB falls for it every time.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 04:05 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I disagree completely, Sunset.  You can't call Ross small and frail when he is bigger than Antonio Brown.  He may have had a "history of injury", but one of his main issues stemmed from when he switched mid-season from WR to CB because his teammate, Marcus Peters, had been suspended.  

I don't know many WRs that could suddenly be making tackles with regularity as well as returning kicks without getting nicked up.  

Look at how he came back from the knee injury?  The fastest 40 yard dash EVER at the combine?  

If you go on youtube, you will see how he embarrassed first-round pick Adoree Jackson when they went head to head.  And Ross did take his fair share of poundings in college football.

The thought of him opposite AJ Green should have opened up everything for this offense.  I don't have much faith left, but my hope is Lazur can do something now that the Piano Man is gone and we FINALLY saw what backup linemen could do over the starting shitstorm.  Lazur will know that his success will hinge largely of taking advantage of the other side of the field from Green.  Force teams to adjust.  If he does that, Ross will prove he was the right choice.  

I get that every situation is unique, but I still think that taking Ross was a gamble.  When you step back, and look at the entire pool of early picks from the past 5 years, you notice a trend of them not producing in year 1.  I think the general opinion is that your 1st round pick should be able to give significant production in his 1st year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 04:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I get that every situation is unique, but I still think that taking Ross was a gamble.  When you step back, and look at the entire pool of early picks from the past 5 years, you notice a trend of them not producing in year 1.  I think the general opinion is that your 1st round pick should be able to give significant production in his 1st year.

Again this is on Marvin. Why wont he play the rookies? He's such a douchebag. He's too old school when trying to make a kid feel like he has to get some seniority before playing. A lot of the kids coming into the NFL do make instant contributions if coached correctly. He is a plague.

Reply/Quote