Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross Fans Rejoice
We are bringing him for a visit this weekend according to Rappaport. I am not a fan of him, but in the spirit of fairness I thought I'd bring it up. I had also mentioned to MCC they don't draft small WR's as Hobson reiterated again this week, but it appears they are at least considering it. I hope this is for a possible trade up back into the late 1st and not at 9.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: We are bringing him for a visit this weekend according to Rappaport. I am not a fan of him, but in the spirit of fairness I thought I'd bring it up. I had also mentioned to MCC they don't draft small WR's as Hobson reiterated again this week, but it appears they are at least considering it. I hope this is for a possible trade up back into the late 1st and not at 9.

I'm hoping for defensive help in the first. But, Ross is similar in stature to DeSean Jackson who worked out a little better than a bigger Jerome Simpson.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:51 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm hoping for defensive help in the first. But, Ross is similar in stature to DeSean Jackson who worked out a little better than a bigger Jerome Simpson.

I am not going to get back in to why I am not a fan of Ross, but Jackson to me was a better prospect coming out and he went in the 2nd. If we go pass rusher in the first I'd love him later in the 1st or early in the 2nd. I know people will say no way he drops, but I have seen him falling to the late 1st early 2nd.

It's not that I hate Ross, I hate Ross at 9. Brandon Cooks was a similar prospect and went at pick 20 and just got traded for pick 32. I'd have rather given the Saints our 2nd and something else for Cooks.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:57 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am not going to get back in to why I am not a fan of Ross, but Jackson to me was a better prospect coming out and he went in the 2nd. If we go pass rusher in the first I'd love him later in the 1st or early in the 2nd. I know people will say no way he drops, but I have seen him falling to the late 1st early 2nd.

It's not that I hate Ross, I hate Ross at 9. Brandon Cooks was a similar prospect and went at pick 20 and just got traded for pick 32. I'd have rather given the Saints our 2nd and something else for Cooks.

I wouldn't want Ross at #9, either. Like you, I would prefer a trade up into the bottom of the first round.
Reply/Quote
If he passes physical evals he's a riser. All the media scouts are pushing him up the boards and I would prefer him over Mike Williams any day of the week. I'm glad their kicking the tires on all these guys and set their big board. One of these guys are gonna get pushed down the board and I think Solomon Thomas is a guy that is way over hyped by the media who will fall. Ross is a complete receiver who test well, but also has all the on field attributes to be a special player.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
IDK. Thought I read a piece a couple years back that we never draft a top prospect we bring in for a visit. Of course I could be mis-remembering.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK. Thought I read a piece a couple years back that we never draft a top prospect we bring in for a visit. Of course I could be mis-remembering.

We met with Jackson last year, and Ogbuehi and Fisher two years ago.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:35 AM)Au165 Wrote: We met with Jackson last year, and Ogbuehi and Fisher two years ago.

Well in my defense I did say I read it a couple years ago. But this recent trend is news seems like the better method.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well in my defense I did say I read it a couple years ago. But this recent trend is news seems like the better method.

You are correct, the year we drafted Eiffert I don't believe we met with him.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: We are bringing him for a visit this weekend according to Rappaport. I am not a fan of him, but in the spirit of fairness I thought I'd bring it up. I had also mentioned to MCC they don't draft small WR's as Hobson reiterated again this week, but it appears they are at least considering it. I hope this is for a possible trade up back into the late 1st and not at 9.

ThumbsUp Who Dey Excited Dancing Happy
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I have no problem with bringing him in for a visit. The team is doing it's due diligence. However I'm hoping for defense first plus Ross has a long list of severe injuries...so no thanks to him in the first.
Reply/Quote
We supposedly loved Will Fuller last year and would have taken him with our first if he was there. Ross is faster and has better hands.

The injuries worry me. But if they check out...

Looking for top 10 traits with my top 10 pick. Ross certainly has a big one. Speed. I wouldnt hate the pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We supposedly loved Will Fuller last year and would have taken him with our first if he was there. Ross is faster and has better hands.

The injuries worry me. But if they check out...

Looking for top 10 traits with my top 10 pick. Ross certainly has a big one. Speed. I wouldnt hate the pick.

Fuller was pick 21, again don't hate Ross but not at 9. Being Fast doesn't make you a top 10 pick, that is what Al Davis sued to think though and so the world got Derrious Heyward Bay (I know Ross isn't the same, my point is speed is not the end all).
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: Fuller was pick 21, again don't hate Ross but not at 9. Being Fast doesn't make you a top 10 pick, that is what Al Davis sued to think though and so the world got Derrious Heyward Bay (I know Ross isn't the same, my point is speed is not the end all).

Completely agree.  I think most people will agree that Ross is a football player who is very fast, where as Bey was a fast guy who tried to play football.

Ross has the production on the field to merit a Top 10 type selection.  Bey was a guy that never scored more than 5 touchdowns in a season and had limited production in college.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:41 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Completely agree.  I think most people will agree that Ross is a football player who is very fast, where as Bey was a fast guy who tried to play football.

Ross has the production on the field to merit a Top 10 type selection.  Bey was a guy that never scored more than 5 touchdowns in a season and had limited production in college.

I keep pointing to Ross is Cooks and Cooks was pick 20. It doesn't matter how fast you are on a track press man is the great equalizer and can nullify speed quickly. I watch the Colorado tape and do not see a top 10 pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: I keep pointing to Ross is Cooks and Cooks was pick 20. It doesn't matter how fast you are on a track press man is the great equalizer and can nullify speed quickly. I watch the Colorado tape and do not see a top 10 pick.

Yep.  If he struggles with that, he's going to have to be moved around a little bit.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:54 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yep.  If he struggles with that, he's going to have to be moved around a little bit.

Which is why I worry, Colorado were drops and some bad effort on a couple balls. Alabama was getting manhandled by good, not great, press corners. Back end of the 1st I'd take him, top 10 I would not. Some people accuse me of "hating on him" because of that, but I think he has value but not top 10 value. I don't value straight line 40 speed as much as many because that isn't football speed.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: Fuller was pick 21, again don't hate Ross but not at 9. Being Fast doesn't make you a top 10 pick, that is what Al Davis sued to think though and so the world got Derrious Heyward Bay (I know Ross isn't the same, my point is speed is not the end all).

Ross is a way better prospect than fuller.

Reply/Quote
Plus I don't think Ross is the best compliment to Dalton. Dalton's deep ball isn't the strongest part of his game. I would prefer a WR with a larger catch radius to get the passes that tend to go a little high at times.
Reply/Quote
OK for everyone in this discussion. Please go watch tape on a player before you speak on them. When you say things like " Being fast doesn't make you a top 10 pick " its total horseshit. The reason this guy isn't considered a surefire top 10 pick is his size and injury concerns. He runs great routes, he is super fast, he jumps super high, and has a an edge to him that reminds me of steve smith or anquan bouldin. He is by far the best wide receiver for our team in the first round of this draft because his style is complementary to what AJ Green brings.

Another thing is people comparing him to fuller or cooks. He runs faster, jumps higher, and has better route running skills than either of these guys coming out of college. In fact the big knocks on fuller is that he was a straight line speedster.

I don't prescribe to one single method of drafting this year and ive made cases for multiple players to be taken at 9 because we should draft best player available. Do I want us to draft a receiver in the first ? not really but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be an awesome fit for our team if his medicals pan out. I want us to draft a guy who is a good scheme fit and makes the team better that includes running backs, safeties, corners, wide receivers, TE, and D Line in this draft. all of which I feel could and should be in play at 9.

Reply/Quote