Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross-illness
(10-30-2020, 06:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Yep. Even with his limitations, we should be able to do something with the fastest guy in the league. 15 snaps a game. Something.

Drags. Crossing routes. Something.

Hard to get a guy involved when he drops more than he catches. He has done some end around and they don't usually produce anything better than Higgins or Boyd can do. When all you are is a gimmick, people know it and it doesn't work. This coaching staff got more out of him last year than the previous 2 years combined. I don't trust them with a lot, but if they got that out him last year, there's probably a reason they aren't using him now. Plus our WRs are low on list of issues and they continue to get better every week. And please don't say send him deep. He's had like 1 or 2 deep catches his career. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 07:02 PM)Synric Wrote: He had to delete it. He said he was healthy but faking an illness to not practice. That opens him up to fines.

Need to pull a Dunlap here....
Time to move on from this guy...he got lucky at the combine running that 4.2 and here we are...stuck with a guy who isnt a true "football player"
Would love to ship him out for a DE or edge guy that can come in and immediately contribute
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 07:07 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Need to pull a Dunlap here....
Time to move on from this guy...he got lucky at the combine running that 4.2 and here we are...stuck with a guy who isnt a true "football player"
Would love to ship him out for a DE or edge guy that can come in and immediately contribute

I’d trade him for a solid TE to pair with Sample.
Reply/Quote
I would trade him for a 7th in the 2037 draft. It amazes me some still think he should be utilized yet want Price gone already in his 3rd year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 03:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: I shouldn't have to. I'm just a member of the board. However if the docs weren't thinking this was a month long thing (same Docs who examined Atkins) that's an issue with them and not me personally.

Either way it's a mismanagement (again) given the new IR rules.

He must have a Cordy Glenn stomach concussion. I look for him to miss at least 5-7 more weeks. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 07:29 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I would trade him for a 7th in the 2037 draft. It amazes me some still think he should be utilized yet want Price gone already in his 3rd year.

Because Price has been awful. Ross has contributed more to the offense than Price has. I am hoping Billy turns it around but up to this point, Price has been horrible. Ross at least gave us hope he could produce and turn it around at various points. Billy really hasn’t, aside from his performance against the Browns recently.
Reply/Quote
Last thing we need is this turd passing this 3 week bug around. My stomach has also been effed up for about that long. Wash your hands all!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ross has worked with three different OCs and 2 different head coaches.

No offense to all you guys here who are smarter than NFL coaches, but it is really hard for me to believe that the problem with Ross is just coaches not knowing how to use him.

Makes you wonder how the coaches know how to use Boyd and Higgins huh ?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:09 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think this is the first time he has actually said it. Originally, it was his agent IIRC. This is supposedly coming from Ross himself, but the tweet is deleted.

Out of all the picks that didn't work out, this one bums me out the most. He was just electric in college and having him be productive would do wonders for this offense with Boyd and Higgins coming on. He has just never figured it out. Unfortunately, I don't think Cincinnati will get anything for him and he will just ride the bench the rest of the year only to be released. 

It was Tate's agent that made public rumblings about a trade.  Ross's camp didn't make any kind of public statements before today.  It was one of those "inside sources say" deals.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 08:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Makes you wonder how the coaches know how to use Boyd and Higgins huh ?

Well they’re more of the traditional WR. You know, the ones that can catch. LOL
Reply/Quote
I wonder what Burrow's opinion of Ross is. They only really tried to play him in the first game or two. It would have been nice to give him more than 5 or 8 or whatever many targets to see what he could do.

That said, we have our top 3 wide-outs. We're set. It makes complete sense to use Thomas if he's better at blocking and special teams.

Too bad it's just looking like a wasted pick and we likely don't get much of a return for him. Have to move him at this point (to be fair to Ross, and for the sake of improving the team).

In the perfect world, I would have liked to see him get a few touches each game as the 4th option and he actually plays well. They gave him a game or two and pulled the plugs. I would have given him a little more of a chance, but it's just time to move on. Too bad there wasn't a good offensive lineman or edge rusher to draft that year at 7.
Reply/Quote
To me its more than just the drops. Ross has flat out given up on plays. He has no pep in his step on the field. You can visually see that he doesnt put forth much effort. For a guy with his speed, he just doesnt look good out there outside of a couple games last year where he had some explosive plays But even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 07:29 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I would trade him for a 7th in the 2037 draft. It amazes me some still think he should be utilized yet want Price gone already in his 3rd year.

If he's making public noise about being traded, they need to trade him.  I don't necessarily want Price gone, but at the same point in their respective careers Ross was still a starter with a 7 TD season and a couple of 100 yard games to his credit while Price is a year plus removed from a benching and his career highlight is now "looked good coming off the bench against the Browns if you ignore his multiple penalties and bad snaps".  Ross has flashed much greater potential, 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 09:10 PM)bengaloo Wrote: To me its more than just the drops. Ross has flat out given up on plays. He has no pep in his step on the field. You can visually see that he doesnt put forth much effort. For a guy with his speed, he just doesnt look good out there outside of a couple games last year where he had some explosive plays But even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes.

Agreed... the giving up on plays is a huge problem.  You can live with some drops but not finishing a route is inexcusable. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 09:10 PM)bengaloo Wrote: To me its more than just the drops. Ross has flat out given up on plays. He has no pep in his step on the field. You can visually see that he doesnt put forth much effort. For a guy with his speed, he just doesnt look good out there outside of a couple games last year where he had some explosive plays But even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes.

Agree

It's hard to put into 15 words or less but to me he just doesn't look like a football player, fish outta water kinda thing. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can't imagine there's much interest in him ? Not at any real value to us anyways.

Youth and potential usually piques somebodys interest. 

If you just wait for him to be released, you risk fighting 30 other teams for him. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 05:24 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: He just put this out on Twitter:

“It’s not a secret that i have requested a trade. Trade me if this how y’all feel. I’m healthy and eager to play. I know I can be productive. It’s hard to love something when your not actually participating in it. Believe me, its not football that i don’t like.”

Maybe he should catch a damn ball when he had playing time and throws going his way. No way will he be productive anywhere given his brick hands and injury history.

No balls John. Had double puns in it.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ross has worked with three different OCs and 2 different head coaches.

No offense to all you guys here who are smarter than NFL coaches, but it is really hard for me to believe that the problem with Ross is just coaches not knowing how to use him.

That's just part of it. 

Another part could be an unwillingness to babysit and coddle. He's shown talent and hasn't been hurt in a while. Didn't really do much early this year but if you make it a point to get him involved in different ways, who knows...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 07:02 PM)Synric Wrote: He had to delete it. He said he was healthy but faking an illness to not practice. That opens him up to fines.

I didn't see anything about faking. Just that he said he was healthy and ready to go. Dunno who the "illness" report is coming from.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 09:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I didn't see anything about faking. Just that he said he was healthy and ready to go. Dunno who the "illness" report is coming from.

The team. It was his designation for missing practice.
Reply/Quote