Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross interview a jab at former coaching?
(09-04-2019, 12:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And how many more would have screwed up after us ? I don't think Mahomes was that high on many teams radars.

Here's to hoping Ross turns it around this season  Cheers

Drafting is simple when you know how players perform in year 1. Monday morning draft analysis.  Smirk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 12:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And how many more would have screwed up after us ? I don't think Mahomes was that high on many teams radars.

Here's to hoping Ross turns it around this season  Cheers

Yep, wish we would have seen Brady's HOF career coming to draft him in round 5 too

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 12:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good point and zero to do with the thread.

How many teams screwed up by passing on Mahomes?  Yes we were one of 9 teams to mess up or all 31 if you consider they could have traded up to get him since he was a can't miss QB????

In all fairness, all 9 teams that passed on Mahommes have a grand total of 1 SB win in the past 25 years with the 49ers winning it in 1994.  So (including us) that is a 1-224 record as far as league championships go.

I guess that doesn't matter if Mahommes never wins it though.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 11:49 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The Bears needed a new QB now and Trubisky was more ready than Mahommes who needed to sit and learn and/or get taken by a very QB friendly system.  Mahommes was a work in progress and Trubisky was a "start now/high floor" kind of guy, so it's not too hard to see why things went the way they did.

So basically, Mahommes was a work in progress who needed to sit behind a level-headed vet and learn in order to reach his potential and that wasn't too far off from what we had and have going here.  It's not really revisionist history, because the entire NFL draft (if not life itself) is all about using what you know of the past and present in order to project and predict what will happen in the future.  

Mahommes being good isn't as earth-shattering as one might think.  It's not like he was Tom Brady and every team passed on him 27 times.  THe guy had a first round grade, he needed work, and a QB guru took him and gave him a chance to develop and did what was suspected to be needed and so far it's working.  Taking a good QB in the top 10 isn't a magic act.

Of all the crazy football stories we are ever going to hear "GOOD QB TAKEN AT #10 OVERALL" isn't going to blow many people's socks off, is it?
So, the Browns, who had the number one pick and had been needing a franchise QB for roughly a hundred years, knew how good Mahomes would be but went ahead and took a DE instead?  And the Bills, who hadn't had a franchise QB since the 90's, also knew this and still went ahead and traded that very same pick away?  Right.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 12:32 PM)McC Wrote: So, the Browns, who had the number one pick and had been needing a franchise QB for roughly a hundred years, knew how good Mahomes would be but went ahead and took a DE instead?  And the Bills, who hadn't had a franchise QB since the 90's, also knew this and still went ahead and traded that very same pick away?  Right.

Good point.  As long as the Browns and Bills made the same mistake we did you can hardly blame us!  
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 12:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good point.  As long as the Browns and Bills made the same mistake we did you can hardly blame us!  

Silly me, thinking a person could have an actual conversation with you.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 12:45 PM)McC Wrote: Silly me, thinking a person could have an actual conversation with you.

What am I missing here?  The Browns passed on Mahommes so he must not have been a slam dunk franchise QB?  The Browns let Ben go to the Steelers, the Browns let Wentz go to the Eagles, the Browns took Baker Mayfield whom I'm pretty sure you think is going to meltdown and go full cancer on them in 2019...so what makes you think "Well the Browns passed on him!" is a good argument for your case?

A bunch of franchises who have done zilch in the past 25 years passed on Mahommes and Andy Reid took him...slam dunk no, but come on...you don't need to call Miss Cleo to see this one.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 12:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What am I missing here?  The Browns passed on Mahommes so he must not have been a slam dunk franchise QB?  The Browns let Ben go to the Steelers, the Browns let Wentz go to the Eagles, the Browns took Baker Mayfield whom I'm pretty sure you think is going to meltdown and go full cancer on them in 2019...so what makes you think "Well the Browns passed on him!" is a good argument for your case?

A bunch of franchises who have done zilch in the past 25 years passed on Mahommes and Andy Reid took him...slam dunk no, but come on...you don't need to call Miss Cleo to see this one.

How many Super Bowls has Reid won again, please enlighten us how he is great with a 12-14 career post season record. Yes, only 14 games his entire career and a losing record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Reid

Reid may or may not win one with Mahomes, but as of yet, he has zero!!!! Same number as ZT.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 01:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How many Super Bowls has Reid won again, please enlighten us how he is great with a 12-14 career post season record. Yes, only 14 games his entire career and a losing record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Reid

Reid may or may not win one with Mahomes, but as of yet, he has zero!!!! Same number as ZT.

I never said the guy had a SB, but this is about the pre-draft narrative of Mahommes being that he could be a great QB if he had the coaching and the time to develop.  Andy Reid had both of those things and SURPRISE Mahommes has thus far been a great QB.

All I'm saying is that some people act like Mahommes being good is some sort of amazing, can't believe it happened, you'd need a crystal ball to see this coming, sort of revelation when his success has been pretty logical thus far.  Mahommes being good requires very little magical hindsight.

I can't be the only person here who still gives the Steelers grief for passing on Dan Marino, can I?

EDIT - Also, if ZT has 12 post-season wins here I'll be beyond thrilled.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 01:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I never said the guy had a SB, but this is about the pre-draft narrative of Mahommes being that he could be a great QB if he had the coaching and the time to develop.  Andy Reid had both of those things and SURPRISE Mahommes has thus far been a great QB.

All I'm saying is that some people act like Mahommes being good is some sort of amazing, can't believe it happened, you'd need a crystal ball to see this coming, sort of revelation when his success has been pretty logical thus far.  Mahommes being good requires very little magical hindsight.

I can't be the only person here who still gives the Steelers grief for passing on Dan Marino, can I?

EDIT - Also, if ZT has 12 post-season wins here I'll be beyond thrilled.

Heck, 0 postseason wins with 5 appearances in a row gets Model Model written where they talk about how other teams are trying to copy our success!

Imagine when we win a playoff game!
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 01:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Imagine when we win a playoff game!

Or 12 of 'em.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 01:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Or 12 of 'em.

You new here.   Sarcasm

Our fans would be spending their time crying and whining about the 14 losses and no Super Bowl win.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 01:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Or 12 of 'em.

I’ll take just 1 for now. I was still in elementary when we last won a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 01:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You new here.   Sarcasm

Our fans would be spending their time crying and whining about the 14 losses and no Super Bowl win.

"Playoff wins are meaningless if you don't win the Super Bowl.  I don't accept mediocrity like all of you losers."
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 05:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Playoff wins are meaningless if you don't win the Super Bowl.  I don't accept mediocrity like all of you losers."

Is this my quote?

I don't recall ever calling anyone losers, but I do agree with playoff wins are meaningless under you lift the trophy.

It is like having sex and not climaxing. Fun for a while, but a big waste of time.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 05:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Is this my quote?

I don;t recall ever calling anyone losers, but I do agree with playoff wins are meaningless under you lift the trophy.

It is like having sex and not climaxing. Fun for a while, but a big waste of time.

Clearly Bills fans had the biggest SB blue balls of all.

(09-04-2019, 12:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Drafting is simple when you know how players perform in year 1. Monday morning draft analysis.  Smirk

Actually, that was year 2 for Mahommes...unlike Ross, Mahommes didn't have to be a rookie for 3 years or so. 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 05:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Playoff wins are meaningless if you don't win the Super Bowl.  I don't accept mediocrity like all of you losers."

I don't give a rat's ass, when the Bengals finally win a playoff game I'm going to burn this mother down.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 05:54 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I don't give a rat's ass, when the Bengals finally win a playoff game I'm going to burn this mother down.

Act like you've been there before...wait that only applies to Bengals fans who are over 30.  Hmm...
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 05:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Act like you've been there before...wait that only applies to Bengals fans who are over 30.  Hmm...

im 37 and have no memory of any Bengal playoff victories SBs or anything before ML was hired.....  its probly for the best   id say you gotta be over 40 to have been old enough to remember watching it.
Reply/Quote

Well They might be like graduating HS compared to College....  But you cant do one with out first doing the other.
Reply/Quote