Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross interview a jab at former coaching?
My view is that if he shows improvement in production from second to third year, along the same trajectory that he showed from first to second year - I will be delighted.

I always felt that Ross' strength aligns with Dalton's weakness.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:15 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: "Too much thinking", I wish he could elaborate more on this, i mean most NFL plays take no more than 5 seconds to take place. How much "too much thinking" can you do in that time span. geeze.

Option routes, maybe? Not saying this is the case (I'd sure as hell hope the Bengals coaching staff wouldn't put him in that position lol), but that would be one example of how "too much thinking" could come into play in 5 seconds.

Hopefully the new coaching staff keeps it simple with Ross, because IMO that's how you get him going. If they get 3 or 4 catches from him in the first few games that's honestly a pretty good step even though a lot of people will be looking for more. It's frustrating but I really think they need to start with baby steps and maybe he can sprint later in the season.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 06:36 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Option routes, maybe? Not saying this is the case (I'd sure as hell hope the Bengals coaching staff wouldn't put him in that position lol), but that would be one example of how "too much thinking" could come into play in 5 seconds.

Hopefully the new coaching staff keeps it simple with Ross, because IMO that's how you get him going. If they get 3 or 4 catches from him in the first few games that's honestly a pretty good step even though a lot of people will be looking for more. It's frustrating but I really think they need to start with baby steps and maybe he can sprint later in the season.

3-4 catches a game or 3-4 total?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 07:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 3-4 catches a game or 3-4 total?

Per game is what I meant. Improvement.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 07:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 3-4 catches a game or 3-4 total?

Both are terrible for a 3rd year wide receiver. Unless he’s still a rookie. I know he’s nowhere near Ty Hill but that’s how the Bengals should use him.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 07:22 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Both are terrible for a 3rd year wide receiver.  Unless he’s still a rookie.  I know he’s nowhere near Ty Hill but that’s how the Bengals should use him.

Not necessarily. 3-4 catches a game can be fine if you're still getting 70+ yards out of it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:42 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: lol His 4.22 40 speed aint good enough to get space he needs picks now. 

Speed alone does not get WR separation.  Weakness of Ross is he gets jammed at LOS.  Once he gets pushed off his route, he has difficulties re-establishing the route.  His strength is slot to vertical or what someone else said earlier in the post route.  

I also agree that Dalton and Ross are not a good match.  Watching the rookies in Finley and Dolegala, seem to have better ball placements.  I would have to see more of those two however.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:46 PM)McC Wrote: Didn't you find it alarming that Lazor built his offense around a guy who hasn't even played half the games in his career?  Did that seem like a wise strategy?
Wait are talking about Eifert or Ross?
If it's Eifert then I don't get the criticism he is our best player and fits what Dalton does best. I shouldn't say best but he's =. To Mixon and AJ.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 07:22 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Both are terrible for a 3rd year wide receiver. 

No it is not.  Ross will be 25 this year.  Last year there were only 15 WRs that young who had 64 receptions.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:42 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Depending on the body language, it could've been a dig.

However, like many have said, Ross isn't really in a place to talk. Whether it be his struggles to learn plays or stay healthy, he hasn't been on the field enough to really constructively criticize former coaching.

To this day, one of the worst things I've ever seen a receiver do was that 'route' against Carolina last year. It was a combination of clueless, half assing and not knowing his route. It was horrendous.

That was a terrible friggin route, and I don't think he even knew where the ball was.  He quits on other routes too, and loses track of what the status of the quarterback is, as to whether he is scrambling, still has protection, etc.  

I, too, hope this is the year they get him going, but I don't know. I wonder about his attitude also, and how much fight he has in him. If he could get it together, though, he could change the landscape for us. And you KNOW that speed is still there.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No it is not.  Ross will be 25 this year.  Last year there were only 15 WRs that young who had 64 receptions.

64 catches is not great. I like how you threw in age as well. “There’s only a few 5-11 WRs weighing under 200 lbs in their 3rd year between the ages 23-25 that had 64 catches last year. Fml. Irregardless of your bogus stats let’s hope this year he stays healthy n becomes a ty hill clone.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 07:22 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Both are terrible for a 3rd year wide receiver.  Unless he’s still a rookie.  I know he’s nowhere near Ty Hill but that’s how the Bengals should use him.

First of all, I didn't say 3-4 catches a game for the whole season, I said to start off.

Second of all, I don't really care if he's a 3rd year wide receiver, they need to manage him like he's a rookie because outside of the TDs last year he still hasn't done much of anything in the league. They have to get *something* out of the guy, and he still needs to walk before he can run. If the Bengals or any fans are expecting him to go out there and get 8+ catches for 100+ yards, they're nuts.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That it was.
And for those that said Ross only ran a few routes, you are wrong. He actually ran a full route tree.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/3/14/14907504/john-ross-film-video-breakdown-scouting-report-washington-wide-receiver-speed

That's why I liked him. Most speed guys only run 1 route in college.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: 64 catches is not great. I like how you threw in age as well.  “There’s only a few 5-11 WRs weighing under 200 lbs in their 3rd year between the ages 23-25 that had 64 catches last year.  Fml.  Irregardless of your bogus stats  let’s hope this year he stays healthy n becomes a ty hill clone.

How many 3rd wide receivers get 64 catches in a year? Because at best that's what John Ross is right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:37 PM)NKURyan Wrote: First of all, I didn't say 3-4 catches a game for the whole season, I said to start off.

Second of all, I don't really care if he's a 3rd year wide receiver, they need to manage him like he's a rookie because outside of the TDs last year he still hasn't done much of anything in the league. They have to get *something* out of the guy, and he still needs to walk before he can run. If the Bengals or any fans are expecting him to go out there and get 8+ catches for 100+ yards, they're nuts.

My fault. I apologize. I forgot he’s still pretty much a “rookie”
Reply/Quote
If Ross gets 64 catches in this offense that means this a very
Productive and successful offense
You figure Boyd is going to get 70 to 80.
Maybe Willis and Green combine for 80.
Eifert and Uzamoh 50 combined.
Erickson 20.
Mixon 30
Bernard 20
Now you add in Ross at 60.
That's 330 to 340 completions in 16 games
Now add in a handful between Sample and Tate
Thats a very successful passing game
So yes if Ross has 60 to 64 catches that's darn good.
Now if Ross was in the Redskins offense or Lions he might
Get more targets. It's all relative
But he's a Bengal.
And this offense has some very talent pass catchers.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:50 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: My fault. I apologize.  I forgot he’s still pretty much a “rookie”

You're right, they should just put him out there and throw the ball to him 15 times a game, clearly he's earned it.  Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:52 PM)impactplaya Wrote: If Ross gets 64 catches in this offense that means this a very
Productive and successful offense
You figure Boyd is going to get 70 to 80.
Maybe Willis and Green combine for 80.
Eifert and Uzamoh 50 combined.
Erickson 20.
Mixon 30
Bernard 20
Now you add in Ross at 60.
That's 330 to 340 completions in 16 games
Now add in a handful between Sample and Tate
Thats a very successful passing game
So yes if Ross has 60 to 64 catches that's darn good.
Now if Ross was in the Redskins offense or Lions he might
Get more targets. It's all relative
But he's a Bengal.
And this offense has some very talent pass catchers.

You get it. People are still gonna be all butthurt if Ross "only" catches 60 passes but that'd be a huge success in my book relative to what he is NOW (as opposed to what we wanted him to be 2 years ago).
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:06 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Wait are talking about Eifert or Ross?
If it's Eifert then I don't get the criticism he is our best player and fits what Dalton does best. I shouldn't say best but he's =. To Mixon and AJ.

I'm talking about Eifert, the guy who hasn't played in half the games of his career.  What kind of a ninny would build the offense around him when the odds are he won't make it through a season?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: How many 3rd wide receivers get 64 catches in a year? Because at best that's what John Ross is right now.

Definitely true. But on the flip side, how many 3rd wide receivers are Rd 1 picks?
That seems to be what most JR critics hold against him. If he's picked in Rd 1 (especially Top 10), he needs to be an elite WR1.
Regardless, for a guy with as much speed and quickness as Ross, 64 catches could easily be 800 yards. Add 7+ TDs to that and that's a very, very good WR2.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote