Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross interview a jab at former coaching?
(09-03-2019, 07:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not necessarily. 3-4 catches a game can be fine if you're still getting 70+ yards out of it.
You're really wasting your breath.  The whole Ross discussion is a waste of time.  No one is going to change the deep rooted opinion of him unless he changes it on the field.  The loops are already written.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 09:04 PM)McC Wrote: You're really wasting your breath.  The whole Ross discussion is a waste of time.  No one is going to change the deep rooted opinion of him unless he changes it on the field.  The loops are already written.

To be fair, the OP was supposed to be whether you think he was throwing a jab at the former coaching staff or not, not whether he'd be good or not lol. A lot of the posters didn't even care to comment whether they thought it was a jab but rather whether he'd do anything on the field or not.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:59 PM)McC Wrote: I'm talking about Eifert, the guy who hasn't played in half the games of his career.  What kind of a ninny would build the offense around him when the odds are he won't make it through a season?

1.) How do you know he would/will get injured?
2.) Isn't the job of a GM to find a reasonable backup for said player.

Look Andy best attribute is throwing down the seams and when Eifert was healthy that also coincides with Andys best season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 09:24 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 1.) How do you know he would/will get injured?
2.) Isn't the job of a GM to find a reasonable backup for said player.

Look Andy best attribute is throwing down the seams and when Eifert was healthy that also coincides with Andys best season.

Did he get injured? 

Is it the job of an OC to put a plan together that doesn't have such a high level of risk?  Or, at least, maybe have a backup plan?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Eifert was more of a decoy last year than someone who actually got the ball. For whatever reason, defenses paid attention to him.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Definitely true. But on the flip side, how many 3rd wide receivers are Rd 1 picks?
That seems to be what most JR critics hold against him. If he's picked in Rd 1 (especially Top 10), he needs to be an elite WR1.
Regardless, for a guy with as much speed and quickness as Ross, 64 catches could easily be 800 yards. Add 7+ TDs to that and that's a very, very good WR2.

I mean I get that but it is what it is. There's no time machine and we can't change the fact that they spent a top 10 pick on him. At this point for the immediate future if he slips into being a productive #3 that's a positive. That's what the Bengals need from him this year. Start there, then maybe he can build on that in the future.
Reply/Quote
Putting on my "Reading into player comments hat" I find Ross telling us the earth will become just a floating rock in space with a certain amount of water on the surface any time now and the winning Power Ball numbers this week will be 3-4-12-29-43-46 and some number(s) or some other combination of assorted numbers yet to be revealed. 
Other than that it's boilerplate, "I'm excited for the upcoming season and hope to be non-expendable by game 2.."
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 11:15 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I mean I get that but it is what it is. There's no time machine and we can't change the fact that they spent a top 10 pick on him. At this point for the immediate future if he slips into being a productive #3 that's a positive. That's what the Bengals need from him this year. Start there, then maybe he can build on that in the future.

If it makes all us Bengals Fans feel better, PAtrick Mahomes was drafted after John Ross. We still have Andy Dalton n John Ross , take that Kansas City !!
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't recall Boyd having to be vindicated after his sophomore disaster of a season. I also think Ross having a good or bad year as zero to do with coaching, coaches don't taker care of a player's body to keep them healthy. Coaches can't study for them, coaches can't give 100% for them.

Boyd got benched in year 2 and was even inactive on gameday for a little bit reportedly due to a bad attitude.  No doubt, he redeemed himself last year, but he had his own issues with the offense.  The fact that he wasn't a Top 10 pick means there wasn't as much of a microscope on him.  The GW TD against Baltimore also bought him a lot of goodwill among the fan base.

With Ross, the current group of coaches have all been supportive and talked about what they can do with him in this offense.  If he can't get it done with a staff that's excited to work with him and actively working on ways to get him the ball and be successful, then he in all likelihood is never going to do it.  

With injuries, guys get hurt.  It doesn't necessarily mean they are lazy or don't take care of themselves.  Eifert works very hard, but gets hurt all the time.  You don't play at AJ's level without putting in the work, and he gets banged up quite a bit.  Lap said it was obvious Price put in a lot of time in the weight room during the off-season, but he came into camp hurt again.  Sometimes it's luck.  Sometimes a guy's body breaks down.  Sometimes a guy just doesn't the genetics to keep their body together at the level it needs to be at.  If a guy is rolling into TC 30 pounds overweight like Burfict used to do or fails the day 1 conditioning test like Orlando Brown did for the Ravens this year, then yeah, it's fair to say they don't take care of themselves.  
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 12:23 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: If it makes all us Bengals Fans feel better, PAtrick Mahomes was drafted after John Ross.  We still have Andy Dalton n John Ross , take that Kansas City !!

Yeah, that happened. So what are they gonna do about it? Lol.

It's done man. Complaining about it isn't going to change anything, despite your best efforts.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Definitely true. But on the flip side, how many 3rd wide receivers are Rd 1 picks?
That seems to be what most JR critics hold against him. If he's picked in Rd 1 (especially Top 10), he needs to be an elite WR1.
Regardless, for a guy with as much speed and quickness as Ross, 64 catches could easily be 800 yards. Add 7+ TDs to that and that's a very, very good WR2.

As a 3rd WR, with those numbers, he would be in elite company. 

Of the top 10 passing offenses, by average passing yards per game, only 2 other guys were at those numbers. 
Ridley of the Falcons had 64 for 821 yds.
Goodwin of the Bucs had 59 for 842 yds.

The average of the 3rd WR out of the top 10 passing offenses was 39 for 473 yards. That's with the high of Ridley and a low of Fowler of the Giants with 16 for 199 (which drags the numbers down). 

Regardless of his draft position, he's clearly the #3 right now behind Green and Boyd, so if he gets somewhere between the elite and the average, say 50 for 525--which keeps him at last years 10.0ypc--that's 3 for 32 yds per game. Not...great...

At 50 for 13ypc, that puts him at 650 yards. More in line for what you would want for a #3 WR. For context, Tyreek Hill is the guy everyone hopes he emulates. Hill averaged 17 yards per catch last year. 

If you take out Fowler's really low numbers that changes the average to 42 for 503, 12ypc, so...if Ross goes 50 for 650 yds and throws in another 5-7 TDs, would that be considered a success?

Discuss!!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 09:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Eifert was more of a decoy last year than someone who actually got the ball. For whatever reason, defenses paid attention to him.

Eifert wasn't a decoy last year. He was on pace for 67 catches and 816 yards when he got injured. Better than his '15 pace. Only 1 TD but he was feast or famine in '15 there with 4 games of 2 or more TDs and 9 games of 1 or none. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: If Dalton could hit him on sideline comebacks that'd be a strong route for him and his skill set.

Dalton don't have the arm for that throw.

As a Dalton "lover", I don't think Dalton is the qb for Ross so we may never see his full potential under Dalton (if health wasn't an issue).

I didn't see anything wrong with the quote. Surely he'd hold off on any shots until after he's "arrived". So I doubt he meant nothing personal with it.

There isn't anything difficult about a comeback. The opposite hash deep out he may not have the arm strength for, not many do, but he has thrown plenty of comebacks in his career. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: John Ross was just interviewed today and the question was asked of what will he bring to this offense (0:47 mark)?
His response was, "Whatever they need me to. There are a lot of things I do well. It's not so much of just 'run down the field' or 'clear this guy out,' there's a lot of things I can do. With the way guys are moved around this offense, I'll be able to showcase a lot of that."
https://www.bengals.com/video/ross-i-just-felt-like-i-got-another-gear

Do you all think this was a jab at the former coaching staff for how he was used the past two years? Or do you think it was just Ross emphasizing that he's not just a deep threat?

He is basically saying what anyone with eyes saw last year.  He wasn't utilized as a threat anywhere but the red zone.  He just ran verticals and cleared space.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  ZT is going to look like a genius compared to Marv (not saying much) for simply using his assets to help the team the best way possible.  

It could also be a little tongue in cheek to get Seattle thinking about him more than they might be, but I doubt his words would make much of a difference.  Hoping Ross can return to Washington where he lit up college.  He scored a TD every 5 touches in his college career.  Last year, it was every three. Give the kid chances.  
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 01:50 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If you take out Fowler's really low numbers that changes the average to 42 for 503, 12ypc, so...if Ross goes 50 for 650 yds and throws in another 5-7 TDs, would that be considered a success?

Discuss!!

In my opinion, absolutely. The only reason people wouldn't call that a success is because of where he was drafted, but that is what it is.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 12:23 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: If it makes all us Bengals Fans feel better, PAtrick Mahomes was drafted after John Ross.  We still have Andy Dalton n John Ross , take that Kansas City !!

You know darn well the Bengals weren't going to consider a QB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

This is revisionist history. Nobody but possibly And Reid had any idea he would turn out like he did.  And even Andy was probably at least somewhat surprised.  If it was such a foregone conclusion, he would have been the first pick.  Would the Bears have taken Trubisky ahead of him?  Would the Bills have traded that very same pick to the Chiefs?

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 11:36 AM)McC Wrote: This is revisionist history. Nobody but possibly And Reid had any idea he would turn out like he did.  And even Andy was probably at least somewhat surprised.  If it was such a foregone conclusion, he would have been the first pick.  Would the Bears have taken Trubisky ahead of him?  Would the Bills have traded that very same pick to the Chiefs?

The Bears needed a new QB now and Trubisky was more ready than Mahommes who needed to sit and learn and/or get taken by a very QB friendly system.  Mahommes was a work in progress and Trubisky was a "start now/high floor" kind of guy, so it's not too hard to see why things went the way they did.

So basically, Mahommes was a work in progress who needed to sit behind a level-headed vet and learn in order to reach his potential and that wasn't too far off from what we had and have going here.  It's not really revisionist history, because the entire NFL draft (if not life itself) is all about using what you know of the past and present in order to project and predict what will happen in the future.  

Mahommes being good isn't as earth-shattering as one might think.  It's not like he was Tom Brady and every team passed on him 27 times.  THe guy had a first round grade, he needed work, and a QB guru took him and gave him a chance to develop and did what was suspected to be needed and so far it's working.  Taking a good QB in the top 10 isn't a magic act.

Of all the crazy football stories we are ever going to hear "GOOD QB TAKEN AT #10 OVERALL" isn't going to blow many people's socks off, is it?
Reply/Quote

Good point and zero to do with the thread.

How many teams screwed up by passing on Mahomes?  Yes we were one of 9 teams to mess up or all 31 if you consider they could have traded up to get him since he was a can't miss QB????
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 12:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good point and zero to do with the thread.

How many teams screwed up by passing on Mahomes?  Yes we were one of 9 teams to mess up or all 31 if you consider they could have traded up to get him since he was a can't miss QB????

And how many more would have screwed up after us ? I don't think Mahomes was that high on many teams radars.

Here's to hoping Ross turns it around this season  Cheers
Reply/Quote