Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross interview a jab at former coaching?
(09-03-2019, 03:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross wasn't very good at just 'running down the field' or 'clearing this guy out'...so hopefully he does the other stuff better.

Honestly, there were reports that he struggled in minicamp and OTA's this year too.

Yeah time will tell but this new coaching staff didn't instantly make Ross less injured or more able to grasp the system.  So far, same old.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: John Ross was just interviewed today and the question was asked of what will he bring to this offense (0:47 mark)?
His response was, "Whatever they need me to. There are a lot of things I do well. It's not so much of just 'run down the field' or 'clear this guy out,' there's a lot of things I can do. With the way guys are moved around this offense, I'll be able to showcase a lot of that."
https://www.bengals.com/video/ross-i-just-felt-like-i-got-another-gear

Do you all think this was a jab at the former coaching staff for how he was used the past two years? Or do you think it was just Ross emphasizing that he's not just a deep threat?
Does anyone on there know where Quentin Flowers went . I really really wanted to keep him as he is going to be a gamer,How did they allow this guy to get away?
Reply/Quote
I hope we see screens, Reverse, Slants, and Drags with Ross this year. I think people give Lazor and Zampese a ton of unnecessary crap but it was puzzling how we used him in the past.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: John Ross was just interviewed today and the question was asked of what will he bring to this offense (0:47 mark)?
His response was, "Whatever they need me to. There are a lot of things I do well. It's not so much of just 'run down the field' or 'clear this guy out,' there's a lot of things I can do. With the way guys are moved around this offense, I'll be able to showcase a lot of that."
https://www.bengals.com/video/ross-i-just-felt-like-i-got-another-gear

Do you all think this was a jab at the former coaching staff for how he was used the past two years? Or do you think it was just Ross emphasizing that he's not just a deep threat?

his best route coming out of college was the post not the fly.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:18 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I hope we see screens, Reverse, Slants, and Drags with Ross this year. I think people give Lazor and Zampese a ton of unnecessary crap but it was puzzling how we used him in the past.

Zampese richly deserved every ounce of crap that came his way.  Lazor looked good by contrast to the disaster that was Zampese but as time went on, he showed his colors too.  He was no disaster nut he was mediocre at best.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think issues went both way with Ross. There were simple things they could have done to get him involved early on. I wrote about it in another post but simplifying his route tree and taking out sight adjustments would have been the easiest thing. I think where the issue began was they were dead set on everyone being able to play every position and while that sounds great everyone isn't cut out to do that. Ross needed to pick things up better but the staff should have facilitated his growth by getting him a couple packages that were easy to up his confidence.

All the Bunch formations in this offense will help too. It will create more natural picks to give Ross space. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: his best route coming out of college was the post not the fly.

That it was.
And for those that said Ross only ran a few routes, you are wrong. He actually ran a full route tree.
Quote:At Washington, Ross lined up as a slot receiver and split outside. His speed was used all over the field on screens, reverses, and he ran a full route tree. The Huskies loved using him to vertically stretch the defense running go routes, fades, and posts, attacking the downfield safeties — Passes were almost always underthrown based on his pure speed down the middle of the field.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/3/14/14907504/john-ross-film-video-breakdown-scouting-report-washington-wide-receiver-speed
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:18 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I hope we see screens, Reverse, Slants, and Drags with Ross this year. I think people give Lazor and Zampese a ton of unnecessary crap but it was puzzling how we used him in the past.

Zampese lasted, what, 3 games with the Bengals after Ross was drafted? We never really got to see what Zampese envisioned for Ross.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 03:55 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Does anyone on there know where Quentin Flowers went . I really really wanted to keep him as he is going to be a gamer,How did they allow this guy to get away?

Flowers signed to Colts PS.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If Dalton could hit him on sideline comebacks that'd be a strong route for him and his skill set.

Dalton don't have the arm for that throw.

As a Dalton "lover", I don't think Dalton is the qb for Ross so we may never see his full potential under Dalton (if health wasn't an issue).

I didn't see anything wrong with the quote. Surely he'd hold off on any shots until after he's "arrived". So I doubt he meant nothing personal with it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:25 PM)McC Wrote: Zampese richly deserved every ounce of crap that came his way.  Lazor looked good by contrast to the disaster that was Zampese but as time went on, he showed his colors too.  He was no disaster nut he was mediocre at best.

That 15 offense was  loaded with Talent we essentially lost Eifert, Whitworth, Zeitler, and Jones without replacing any of them. That's done more damage to the offensive side of the ball than anything else. It's easy to blame coaches when things go wrong but at the end of the day it's usually a player problem than a coaching problem.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
"Too much thinking", I wish he could elaborate more on this, i mean most NFL plays take no more than 5 seconds to take place. How much "too much thinking" can you do in that time span. geeze.
Reply/Quote
I think it was 50/50 the coaching and Ross staying healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: If Dalton could hit him on sideline comebacks that's be a strong route for him and his skill set.

As a Dalton "lover", I don't think Dalton is the qb for Ross so we may never see his full potential under Dalton (if health wasn't an issue).

I didn't see anything wrong with the quote. Surely he'd hold off on any shots until after he's "arrived". So I doubt he meant nothing personal with it.

I'm with you. I don't think Dalton's skill set matches with Ross's skill set unless he's used differently.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: If Dalton could hit him on sideline comebacks that's be a strong route for him and his skill set.

thought it was a match made in heaven when drafted  considering the stat they show'd

Dalton was best in the league at the time @ post routes and john ross was best at them in college that year.

Why we haven't used that a ton I think speaks to the OC more than anything.

if you just referring to speed vs deep ball....   that will just be timing.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:45 PM)Synric Wrote: All the Bunch formations in this offense will help too. It will create more natural picks to give Ross space. 
lol His 4.22 40 speed aint good enough to get space he needs picks now. 
Reply/Quote
Depending on the body language, it could've been a dig.

However, like many have said, Ross isn't really in a place to talk. Whether it be his struggles to learn plays or stay healthy, he hasn't been on the field enough to really constructively criticize former coaching.

To this day, one of the worst things I've ever seen a receiver do was that 'route' against Carolina last year. It was a combination of clueless, half assing and not knowing his route. It was horrendous.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:05 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote:  That 15 offense was  loaded with Talent we essentially lost Eifert, Whitworth, Zeitler, and Jones without replacing any of them. That's done more damage to the offensive side of the ball than anything else. It's easy to blame coaches when things go wrong but at the end of the day it's usually a player problem than a coaching problem.

Didn't you find it alarming that Lazor built his offense around a guy who hasn't even played half the games in his career?  Did that seem like a wise strategy?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:46 PM)McC Wrote: Didn't you find it alarming that Lazor built his offense around a guy who hasn't even played half the games in his career?  Did that seem like a wise strategy?

I think most of our strategy comes from Madden suggestions. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: thought it was a match made in heaven when drafted  considering the stat they show'd

Dalton was best in the league at the time @ post routes and john ross was best at them in college that year.

Why we haven't used that a ton I think speaks to the OC more than anything.

if you just referring to speed vs deep ball....   that will just be timing.

True a lot of it is all about timing. Soon as we lost the Oline, Dalton loss the deep ball. He used to be money on deep posts. Better on deep balls down the middle then throwing them down the sideline.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote