Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross is a Bengal
I'm happy with the pick.Allen would have been pretty damn sweet there but it's a win win.We drafted a starter THAT WILL PLAY NOW instead of riding the bench.Most people disappointed wanted Howard who NEVER justified a top 10 pick.He was all hype.Once they see that speed from Ross they will be on the fan wagon.Pretty pumped for this pick.
Reply/Quote
At first I didn't like the pick but the more I thought about it the more I liked it. If you look at the options at 9 Ross made sense. We can't complain about his injuries and then say the Bengals should draft Allen who's had two serious shoulder injuries and arthritis, plus he plays Geno's position. Foster at 9 was two high with a shoulder injury along with a ,diluted sample, being asked to leave the combine and character concerns. People would have lost it if we drafted another CB in Lattimore because we have so many CB's plus this draft is loaded can get good one's later. Hooker at 9 maybe ? but he has injury problems too, with the fact that he started one year and we have two young safeties. We need O-line help but this is a terrible O-line draft and no linemen was even close to be being worthy of being drafted at 9. O.J Howard maybe? We need an RB but no RB was worth taking at 9 plus Cook, Mixon and Kamara all still on the Board going into day 2.
Reply/Quote
I was also concerned about his injury history but I've been doing some more research as recent. The guy who ran 4.22 forties after the surgery. he said he ran faster after the surgery. Also what sold me on him was his character the guy is solid in character his work ethics is similar to yes the great wide receiver from San Francisco Rice. He has awesome work ethics Elite Prospect.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 08:54 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I was just wondering, but do the Bengals plan on using him as a returner, too? I know PR and KR aren't positions of need, but do the Bengals think that Ross be better than what we currently have?

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Punt returner yes.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 11:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well i wanted Allen but he continues to slide.. and DE is a deep draft compared to WR.. plus we have lacked speed and better in scoring defense then we are in offense scoring so starts to make sense.. im actually happy the Bengals went outside of the box.. we argue that they don;t do these types of picks.... so i give them credit

I keep thinking about how this is a really heavy defensive draft. Which means we can take the great offensive players and still pick up good defensive players later on. 

The first round yesterday was crazy.
Reply/Quote
They took a risk on a flyer (well-rounded) at that. We could see 4 receiver sets like GREEN - BOYD - ROSS - CORE. With Eifert healthy, it should be fun. Those gadget plays just got a bit more interesting

Reply/Quote
Can't believe we passedon Foster and Allen. If they were that sold on Ross they should have traded down.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 11:08 PM)Benton Wrote: He won't start next year. Hell, when he was picked they immediately tarted talking about him being delayed or on PUP.

This is essentially a 2-4 year down the road pick. Which would be fine if we didn't need DL starters now. IE, they should've drafted DL/DE already to replace the waste of time that has been Margus Hunt, Clarke, Billings, etc.

And, hey, who was Tyler Board? Tyres Bard? Ah, who cares?

If this is true, this really bothers me. 

The window for this team is closing more and more each year. The Bengals needed to draft a guy that can come in and immediately help them. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Check out Walterfootball's scouting report on Ross.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017jross.php

Quote:Strengths:
Extremely fast
Deep-threat receiver
First-step quickness
Explosive
Superb at getting separation
Second-gear speed
Sudden
Adjusts well to the ball
Tracks the ball extremely well
Fast in and out of breaks
Natural route-runner
Above-average run-after-the-catch skills
Excellent balance
Good vision
Quick feet
Reliable hands
Big-play threat
Threat to score on any touch
Stretches a defense vertically
Quick release off of the line
Experienced and successful against good college programs
Makes big plays in the clutch
Durability
Ready to contribute immediately

Weaknesses:
Lacks height
Lacks length
Could struggle to win 50-50 passes against NFL corners
Could have issues getting off jam from big corners

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017jross.php#Wh1J4moRRwhP8ukk.99

Pretty impressive.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 11:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well i wanted Allen but he continues to slide.. and DE is a deep draft compared to WR.. plus we have lacked speed and better in scoring defense then we are in offense scoring so starts to make sense.. im actually happy the Bengals went outside of the box.. we argue that they don;t do these types of picks.... so i give them credit

It took the Bengals actually making the pick for it to make sense when some of us have been defending the logic behind the selection of John Ross for 2+ months?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:05 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Can't believe we passedon Foster and Allen. If they were that sold on Ross they should have traded down.

Allen went 17 and Foster at 31 taking them at 9 would have in hindsight been a reach too. We couldn't have traded back for Ross, the Bills were sitting right behind us an all indications are they planned to take one of the WR's at 10 and with all 3 gone they immediately traded out. If Ross was the guy at 15 he is the guy at 9, if he ends up being a star or a bust no one will look back at 6 slots and let that sway their opinion on him.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:05 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Can't believe we passedon Foster and Allen. If they were that sold on Ross they should have traded down.

Ross would not make it pass Buffalo Bills
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 11:08 PM)Benton Wrote: He won't start next year. Hell, when he was picked they immediately tarted talking about him being delayed or on PUP.

This is essentially a 2-4 year down the road pick. Which would be fine if we didn't need DL starters now. IE, they should've drafted DL/DE already to replace the waste of time that has been Margus Hunt, Clarke, Billings, etc.

And, hey, who was Tyler Board? Tyres Bard? Ah, who cares?

Who is "they"? Ross has already come out and stated his recovery from shoulder surgery is on track and should be ready for training camp. If the Bengals didn't feel confident about his medicals they wouldn't have selected him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
After waking up this morning I decided that I like the pick. The best thing about him that I read is he has toughness and loves to play football. Combine that with his speed and we could have something very special.

I think it's a boom or bust pick if he doesn't succeed it will be because of his health imo.
Reply/Quote
I also appreciate this quote from a Bleacherreport article:

Quote:Ross should provide about 90 percent of Odell Beckham Jr.'s production with approximately 50 percent of the hassles. That's the kind of receiver you would want to be stranded on a desert island with.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706180-nfl-draft-2017-round-1-grades-for-every-pick

I wouldn't complain :).
Reply/Quote
I don't know how anyone can be thrilled about this... If the Bengals don't play him right off, then why use a first round pick on him. OJ Howard would have been a better option since we could not obtain Mike Williams. Yes, I am Salty because of Mike Williams being off the board but I am not happy about this pick.

John Ross | Wide Receiver
Team: Cincinnati Bengals
Age / DOB: (22) / 11/27/1994
Ht / Wt: 5'11' / 190
College: Washington
Drafted: 2017 / Rd. 1 (9) / CIN
Share:
Cincinnati Bengals
LATEST NEWS
RECENT NEWS
Bengals selected Washington WR John Ross with the No. 9 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.
Ross (5’10/188) was an injury-riddled part-time player at Washington until he broke out as a redshirt junior for an 81-1,150-17 (14.2 YPR) stat line. Ross became a household name by breaking Chris Johnson’s forty-yard dash record with a 4.22 in Indy. Ross reached 400 yards in just one college season and showed poor durability, enduring a right meniscus tear followed by microfracture surgery, a torn left ACL and meniscus, and a torn shoulder labrum from which Ross is now recovering. Still, Ross possesses a dynamic skill set and sure hands, dropping just 6-of-106 catchable targets over his final two seasons. An advanced route runner, Ross offers Brandin Cooks-level upside if he can beat the injury bug. He'll likely fill a low-volume, lid-lifter role in Cincinnati across from target monsters A.J. Green and Tyler Eifert. While he will help the offense, it's not a great landing spot for Ross' fantasy value

Even at the Combine he got hurt.. watch after his run..
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:19 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: I don't know how anyone can be thrilled about this...  If the Bengals don't play him right off, then why use a first round pick on him.  OJ Howard would have been a better option since we could not obtain Mike Williams.  Yes, I am Salty because of Mike Williams being off the board but I am not happy about this pick.  

John Ross | Wide Receiver
Team: Cincinnati Bengals
Age / DOB:   (22) / 11/27/1994
Ht / Wt:   5'11' / 190
College: Washington
Drafted: 2017 / Rd. 1 (9) / CIN
Share:
Cincinnati Bengals
LATEST NEWS
RECENT NEWS
Bengals selected Washington WR John Ross with the No. 9 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.
Ross (5’10/188) was an injury-riddled part-time player at Washington until he broke out as a redshirt junior for an 81-1,150-17 (14.2 YPR) stat line. Ross became a household name by breaking Chris Johnson’s forty-yard dash record with a 4.22 in Indy. Ross reached 400 yards in just one college season and showed poor durability, enduring a right meniscus tear followed by microfracture surgery, a torn left ACL and meniscus, and a torn shoulder labrum from which Ross is now recovering. Still, Ross possesses a dynamic skill set and sure hands, dropping just 6-of-106 catchable targets over his final two seasons. An advanced route runner, Ross offers Brandin Cooks-level upside if he can beat the injury bug. He'll likely fill a low-volume, lid-lifter role in Cincinnati across from target monsters A.J. Green and Tyler Eifert. While he will help the offense, it's not a great landing spot for Ross' fantasy value

It seems fans and media liked him better than teams did. I think the question of why he wasn't utilized more may have concerned people. People tend to say Alabama players are over used by the time they come out so for him to be so under utilized is a red flag in itself.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: It seems fans and media liked him better than teams did. I think the question of why he wasn't utilized more may have concerned people. People tend to say Alabama players are over used by the time they come out so for him to be so under utilized is a red flag in itself.

Our Redzone cost us dearly last year, we had to kick field goals and not very good.  OJ would have benefited us great over the middle, since Eifert is glass.  I don't know what contribution if any Ross will play this year.  Just down on the idea of picking a player who is hurt and not sure if he will play this year as a first rounder.. does not make sense.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:38 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Our Redzone cost us dearly last year, we had to kick field goals and not very good.  OJ would have benefited us great over the middle, since Eifert is glass.  I don't know what contribution if any Ross will play this year.  Just down on the idea of picking a player who is hurt and not sure if he will play this year as a first rounder.. does not make sense.  

Cry Cry Cry Cry

As stated, I'm indifferent towards the pick, but even I can CLEARLY see that he'll help the team.

Stop whining.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:38 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Our Redzone cost us dearly last year, we had to kick field goals and not very good.  OJ would have benefited us great over the middle, since Eifert is glass.  I don't know what contribution if any Ross will play this year.  Just down on the idea of picking a player who is hurt and not sure if he will play this year as a first rounder.. does not make sense.  

John Ross is very good in the red zone surprisingly. He has a shortened sluggo he runs that is really effective against man coverage. He will play this year. He played last year with the shoulder injury and was effective, he will be ready for camp.
Reply/Quote