Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
John Ross is an absolute bust
Said nothing on him at all. Didn't like the pick, as he was mostly a record breaker at the combine ( that we seem to value), but didn't see him as a top ten draft pick. AJ Green? Yeah I thought he would be good, turned out to be great. Now, I think Ross is a bust. As a top ten pick, he should be much better. If he was drafted in the 5th round, then yeah, he's not very good, but serviceable. If you are drafted 9th overall into the NFL, quitting on routes and having balls bounce off your hands shouldn't happen.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 08:26 PM)Destro Wrote: Said nothing on him at all. Didn't like the pick, as he was mostly a record breaker at the combine ( that we seem to value), but didn't see him as a top ten draft pick. AJ Green? Yeah I thought he would be good, turned out to be great. Now, I think Ross is a bust. As a top ten pick, he should be much better. If he was drafted in the 5th round, then yeah, he's not very good, but serviceable. If you are drafted 9th overall into the NFL, quitting on routes and having balls bounce off your hands shouldn't happen.

I'm not impressed with him either, but AJ Green has done both of those things at times... He's also not fought for the ball which has led to an interception or two...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 08:36 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not impressed with him either, but AJ Green has done both of those things at times... He's also not fought for the ball which has led to an interception or two...

Bingo. Some people are expecting a Top 10 pick to be elite in every facet, when even greats like AJ Green still aren’t perfect after 8 seasons. Besides, neither Williams nor Davis have been “elite” either. I think a likely scenario would have been if all 3 of Ross, Williams, and Davis been available at 9, Bengals would have tried harder to trade back because they still likely would have gotten Ross. But since Davis and Williams both went (way) earlier than expected, Bengals possibly felt they couldn’t risk trading back and still get Ross, whom they clearly wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 08:36 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not impressed with him either, but AJ Green has done both of those things at times... He's also not fought for the ball which has led to an interception or two...

Yes, but it is rare compared to what else he does. He was almost with Moss in 1000 yard seasons to start a career. Was always in the argument of best in the league. He had some bad plays, but was mostly great. Especially when people who consider Dalton a mediocre QB was passing to him. Ross is none of the above. How many people outside of Cincy even mention this guy? No one. Broadcasters only refer to him as someone we have high hopes for and has been a disappointment. 

Him and AJ are both WRs for the Bengals; similarities are scant beyond that.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:40 PM)Destro Wrote: Yes, but it is rare compared to what else he does. He was almost with Moss in 1000 yard seasons to start a career. Was always in the argument of best in the league. He had some bad plays, but was mostly great. Especially when people who consider Dalton a mediocre QB was passing to him. Ross is none of the above. How many people outside of Cincy even mention this guy? No one. Broadcasters only refer to him as someone we have high hopes for and has been a disappointment. 

Him and AJ are both WRs for the Bengals; similarities are scant beyond that.

Ross doesn't seem to have any elite skills that will carry him in the NFL.

He doesn't have size. His hands aren't good. He's not particularly good at 50/50 balls. When he does get open, he falls down.

His speed was supposed to be his elite skill, but I have to say it doesn't seem to translate to games.
Reply/Quote
Ross sucks ass. This shouldn’t even be debatable
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 12:56 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Ross sucks ass.   This shouldn’t even be debatable

And if you cut him he'd get snatched up right away. I bet you damn near every team in the league would find a spot for him on their roster. There's no debate that he hasn't lived up to his draft spot yet. Obviously he hasn't. But so what? He's worth continuing to develop while we have him on the payroll.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:01 AM)treee Wrote: And if you cut him he'd get snatched up right away. I bet you damn near every team in the league would find a spot for him on their roster. There's no debate that he hasn't lived up to his draft spot yet. Obviously he hasn't. But so what? He's worth continuing to develop while we have him on the payroll.

No point cutting him at this point.

But, there was a time when people thought that Ced and Fisher would develop with a new coach...and that didn't happen.

I just don't think Ross has 'it' for the NFL. He's a great athlete without football skills. Maybe the right coach inspires him? I hope so.
Reply/Quote
According to NextGen Stats John Ross is last in the NFL (2018) in catch percentage a 36%. The top player was Michael Thomas at 85%. Those stats are for WRs and TEs.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No point cutting him at this point.

But, there was a time when people thought that Ced and Fisher would develop with a new coach...and that didn't happen.

I just don't think Ross has 'it' for the NFL. He's a great athlete without football skills. Maybe the right coach inspires him? I hope so.

For sure. We can't just sit around forever waiting for him to "get it" either, I definitely agree there. But also, WR (and CB) is one of the hardest position groups to transition to the NFL. Has he even played in 16 games yet?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No point cutting him at this point.

Og and Fisher never showed flashes of greatness like Ross has. They were consistently terrible.

Ross tied for most receiving TD’s on the team this season. There’s still hope for him.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Og and Fisher never showed flashes of greatness like Ross has. They were consistently terrible.

Ross tied for most receiving TD’s on the team this season. There’s still hope for him.

What 'flashes of greatness' has he shown?

He does seem to catch a lot of 3 yards or shorter TD's.

But, a couple posts above his catch percentage is worst in the NFL.

Really if he wasn't a Top 10 pick...I doubt that people would be talking about him and greatness.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What 'flashes of greatness' has he shown?

He does seem to catch a lot of 3 yards or shorter TD's.

But, a couple posts above his catch percentage is worst in the NFL.

Really if he wasn't a Top 10 pick...I doubt that people would be talking about him and greatness.

There was a few. I’m not going to scower the internet to find them. I was impressed with him a handful of times throughout the season though. Not all his TD’s were “3 yds.” He had our 2nd longest passing play of the year against Atlanta.

And tying for TD’s on a team is noteworthy no matter when someone was drafted.

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure if I would call him a bust yet. Hopefully the next coach will find a better way to use him.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There was a few. I’m not going to scower the internet to find them. I was impressed with him a handful of times throughout the season though. Not all his TD’s were “3 yds.” He had our 2nd longest passing play of the year against Atlanta.

And tying for TD’s on a team is noteworthy no matter when someone was drafted.

This one showcased his agility pretty well. We need to get him the ball in space more.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 02:04 AM)treee Wrote: This one showcased his agility pretty well. We need to get him the ball in space more.

It’s sad that you gotta revert to the preseason to get your point across. Ross has shown he’s unreliable and that’s about it.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 02:15 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: It’s sad that you gotta revert to the preseason to get your point across.   Ross has shown he’s unreliable and that’s about it.

I think he has shown more than that, but I agree that he hasn't proven to be reliable.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:01 AM)treee Wrote: And if you cut him he'd get snatched up right away. I bet you damn near every team in the league would find a spot for him on their roster. There's no debate that he hasn't lived up to his draft spot yet. Obviously he hasn't. But so what? He's worth continuing to develop while we have him on the payroll.

You're just kinda making this up. There's nothing to suggest JR is any better than Corey Coleman who has lingered on practice squads. 

The worst thing you can do is to continue to throw assets at a sunk cost. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 02:39 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You're just kinda making this up. There's nothing to suggest JR is any better than Corey Coleman who has lingered on practice squads. 

The worst thing you can do is to continue to throw assets at a sunk cost. 

The dude has played in 16 games, has 200 yards and 7 touchdowns. That is hardly enough play time to be considered a sunk cost.
Reply/Quote
Personally, the Bengals need to get Ross more involved. He doesn't seem to have the chemistry of the offense. Sort of an outsider.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote