Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
John Ross is an absolute bust
Ross in't completely useless. He obviously wasn't a plug-and-play NFL receiver, but guys like that are a relatively rare breed. Most guys take time to adjust. I agree that he was overdrafted.

I really hope that he can take a Boyd-esque leap next season. Year three used to be the magical number for receivers to break out, so maybe the light goes on for him. He's not a guy I'd want to be my number 1 option, but as a compliment to Green and Boyd, he could still be a weapon.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross seems more like an athlete than a football player to me. Catchable balls hit his hands and bounce off. Then how many times does he get open and fall down?

He's been the #1 WR for the last 2 weeks and the #2 for several weeks before and I don't believe he's caught over 2 balls yet.

If by some miracle we have a new and competent coaching staff next season and Ross is still mucking it up then it will be official, he's a bust. But I'm not ready to write him off just yet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If he was a free agent he would have been cut before the season started. But he was picked #9 so he will play out his contract because that’s what the Bengals do.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:33 PM)samhain Wrote: Ross in't completely useless.  He obviously  wasn't a plug-and-play NFL receiver, but guys like that are a relatively rare breed.  Most guys take time to adjust.  I agree that he was overdrafted.

I really hope that he can take a Boyd-esque leap next season.  Year three used to be the magical number for receivers to break out, so maybe the light goes on for him.  He's not a guy I'd want to be my number 1 option, but as a compliment to Green and Boyd, he could still be a weapon.

Boyd showed A LOT more promise in Year 1 than Ross did in Year 2.

I just don't know with Ross. He just doesn't seem to have 'it'. Whether it be mental or physical...I don't know. His speed doesn't seem to translate to the field either.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If by some miracle we have a new and competent coaching staff next season and Ross is still mucking it up then it will be official, he's a bust. But I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

This is where I'm at with him.

Get better coaching and for the love of God improve the O-line.

Only then will we know what his true potential is.

I just wish he had the fire of players like Boyd or Mixon...  but of course not everyone has the same demeanor.

It would nice to see some flashes of the "wow factor" now, but again that might point back to usage, coaching, and a bad line.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
TD to target ratio reminder coming in... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The saddest thing about Ross is the guy that was drafted right after him.

WTS, in business we have what is known as sunk cost and throwing more money at it is insane. He should be required to earn a roster spot next year. It's sad when Core went down today we lost our best WR
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I don’t think we should ever expect Ross to become any good. As of today he is most certainly a bust.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The saddest thing about Ross is the guy that was drafted right after him.

WTS, in business we have what is known as sunk cost and throwing more money at it is insane. He should be required to earn a roster spot next year. It's sad when Core went down today we lost our best WR

Everything I saw on him at draft time said 2nd Round pick. Maybe late 1st.

You're right though. He did seem to get opportunities this year that another guy drafted lower wouldn't have gotten.

You can see why he didn't play his rookie year. He just wasn't ready.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross seems more like an athlete than a football player to me. Catchable balls hit his hands and bounce off. Then how many times does he get open and fall down?

He's been the #1 WR for the last 2 weeks and the #2 for several weeks before and I don't believe he's caught over 2 balls yet.

Ross is good for 0-3 catches per game, and inordinate number of which are TDs.  His 2018 statline of 21 receptions for 210 yards and 7 TDs is closer to what we expected Auden Tate would do than what Ross would.

I realize he had to play with crap-o Driskel all season, but that still doesn't take away the fact that so many plays that involve him seem to be those "hold your breath...what is going to happen this time" sort of risky situations. Ross looks and plays like a late-round, huge upside sort of dart throw of a WR, not a top 10 pick.

Oh well, at least he did better than last season.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ross is good for 0-3 catches per game, and inordinate number of which are TDs.  His 2018 statline of 21 receptions for 210 yards and 7 TDs is closer to what we expected Auden Tate would do than what Ross would.

Oh well, at least he did better than last season.

He seems to be able to get open for 3 yard or less TD's a lot.

He doesn't seem to be able to get open on long throws. Or when he's open, he drops it.

I honestly think the pressure of being drafted that high is too much for him. He knows he was overdrafted.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He seems to be able to get open for 3 yard or less TD's a lot.

He doesn't seem to be able to get open on long throws. Or when he's open, he drops it.

I honestly think the pressure of being drafted that high is too much for him. He knows he was overdrafted.

I made some comments about him being the Darius Heyward Bey to Mike Brown's Al Davis, before and 2018 hasn't done much to change my mind on that one.  If he doesn't get it together here and be the #1 WR he was drafted to be, some savvy team could get him off the FA scrap heap and use him like the low-investment "throw it to him and hold your breath" WR he seems to be.

Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
Every time he catches the ball or tries to catch I should say his hands are facing the wrong way. As if it’s a bomb and he’s trying to catch over the shoulder. Rather then sticking his hands out and thumbs facing each other they are facing the wrong way. And let’s not start about his durability . He just doesn’t seem to have “it”.
Reply/Quote
The best thing about Ross is that next year will be his rookie year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Boyd showed A LOT more promise in Year 1 than Ross did in Year 2.

I just don't know with Ross. He just doesn't seem to have 'it'. Whether it be mental or physical...I don't know. His speed doesn't seem to translate to the field either.

Problem is Ross isnt a "football player" Rather hes a track star trying to be an NFL WR and it shows with his alligator arms, frequent injuries, stopping on routes  and not fast in his football gear .....etc. 

Is see A guy like Tyrek Hill and just shake my head how he was a 5th rounder and here we are stuck with this schlub...
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:18 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Every time he catches the ball or tries to catch I should say his hands are facing the wrong way. As if it’s a bomb and he’s trying to catch over the shoulder.  Rather then sticking his hands out and thumbs facing each other they are facing the wrong way.  And let’s not start about his durability . He just doesn’t seem to have “it”.

Yes. Much like Ced...I doubt that any team can save him.

It's sad in a way.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He seems to be able to get open for 3 yard or less TD's a lot.

Or when he gets open on long throws, the throws are usually inaccurate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The realization when next season's rookies out perform ROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. (where are you?)
Reply/Quote
1.Ross doesnt put in the time to study defensive backs.

2.he doesnt know how to set up CBs for the money route.

3. for somebody so fast. quick .....he doesnt make defenders miss in open space.

3. he has trouble beating press coverage consistantly.

4. he needs more upper body strength.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Boyd showed A LOT more promise in Year 1 than Ross did in Year 2.

This seems to be an all too common theme with this team. It starts from the head down. You have a weak coach who's persona seems to be infecting most players on this team. But that even starts at the top. Owner with no balls + Coach with no balls= weak minded QB and leader of a unmotivated weak team that lacks the "It" factor to elevate their game to great or elite status. This team just dosent have IT and never will as long as Brown is in charge.
Reply/Quote