Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
John Ross is an absolute bust
(10-27-2018, 12:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What receiver is going to step up and make us realize we don't need him? Sure isn't Core.

We don’t have a really good in house option. Malone has been the most impressive of the bunch to me but I doubt that he is the answer. At this point all we can do is continue to coach Ross up, and hope he breaks out.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:55 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: He simply cannot stay healthy to get necessary reps but I wouldn't call that a bust.  He does, however, remind me of Jerome Simpson who was a late bloomer...

Jerome Simpson never bloomed. He was terrible and always was terrible. 

John Ross hasn't been a bust, but you seriously have to worry about his durability issues. I think the Bengals front office and coaching staff is pretty concerned. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 12:16 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I expect to see Ross' game improve vastly next season.

I heard an interview with Houshmandzadeh early in the season, and he said the kid's game is still very raw in a lot of areas because of the way he was utilized in college.  He was given very limited route options and thus was never coached on the change of direction foot work the NFL requires to run the whole tree.  TJ had a packed schedule this past offseason, but was able to work with him a short time and said he showed vast improvement, however they were only able to scratch the surface in the time constraint.  This coming year they are already commited to getting together as soon as the season ends and continuously throughout the offseason to hone his skills.

I have to assume that a guy who made a career of working his ass off every play will definitely hammer home that quality during their sessions.

You're already thinking about next season. :paul:   Next season will see his replacement in the draft. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 12:33 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: You're already thinking about next season. :paul:   Next season will see his replacement in the draft. :andy:

Nah, that will be Boyd's replacement.

Dude is going to want the opportunity to be the #1.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2018, 04:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s obviously cut.

[Image: usatsi_9915417.jpg]

Here he is next to 6’4 AJ Green.

[Image: indianapolis-indiana-usa-09th-sep-2018-c...PK2K27.jpg]

This claim that he’s too small, or “looks small” is really weird.

FWIW, John Ross is the exact same height-weight as Jordan Shipley was. I don’t remember people calling Shipley too small when he played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
What is clear is - he was over drafted. NFL skills but raw and some injury concerns from college. Not worthy of a top 10 pick but a pick somewhere.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 12:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, John Ross is the exact same height-weight as Jordan Shipley was. I don’t remember people calling Shipley too small when he played.

It has nothing to do with him being small. It has everything to do about his durability. Half of his injuries are non contact related. Some peoples bodies are just not as durable and are more injury prone than others. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 12:47 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: What is clear is - he was over drafted. NFL skills but raw and some injury concerns from college. Not worthy of a top 10 pick but a pick somewhere.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 01:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It has nothing to do with him being small. It has everything to do about his durability. Half of his injuries are non contact related. Some peoples bodies are just not as durable and are more injury prone than others. 

If it’s injury related, say that. Don’t call him “small.”

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 10:41 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This guy wasn't a 4th rounder, he was a top 10 pick and yes he was expected to perform and perform well. On A. Brown's level ? no

But in 23 possible games he's played in eight with 7 receptions for 79 yards and 2 TD's. That's like a 6th rounders production.

His production is unbearable
Reply/Quote
ross is a track star trying to be a "football player" its that simple....bad, BAD draft pick....
but after todays activities this is the least of the teams issues....D looks horrid...and O doesn't scare anyone.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:55 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: He simply cannot stay healthy to get necessary reps but I wouldn't call that a bust. He does, however, remind me of Jerome Simpson who was a late bloomer...

This excuse only works for so long. Let’s face it the guy is terrible. At the end of the year, they need to trade or cut him and draft a receiver in the 2-3 round to go with Boyd and green. Ross hasn’t even shown signs of life out there
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 07:24 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: This excuse only works for so long. Let’s face it the guy is terrible. At the end of the year, they need to trade or cut him and draft a receiver in the 2-3 round to go with Boyd and green. Ross hasn’t even shown signs of life out there

Trading Ross would be beyond stupid. What would his value be? You don’t buy high and sell low. We need to just hope he gets rid of the injury bug, and puts it all together at some point.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 07:12 PM)kalibengal Wrote: ross is a track star trying to be a "football player" its that simple.

Ross actually started at both CB and WR in college.

He is not just a track guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 08:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Trading Ross would be beyond stupid. What would his value be? You don’t buy high and sell low. We need to just hope he gets rid of the injury bug, and puts it all together at some point.

I’m not saying to trade him, but something has got to give. Instead of trying to have him run wasted deep routes why not start with something simple like screen passes. He’s got the speed to out run guys and you have to get him involved somehow
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 09:02 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I’m not saying to trade him, but something has got to give. Instead of trying to have him run wasted deep routes why not start with something simple like screen passes. He’s got the speed to out run guys and you have to get him involved somehow

Actually you did say trade or cut him. Right now we just need to worry about getting him on the field.

Reply/Quote
Ross is a fragile skinny wide receiver with zero instincts
Reply/Quote
I can wait till next off season. Ross is pretty much a rookie give him a chance. He’s been working out Hushmanzada n also training MMA with Jay Glazer. This is the year I tell you. Ogbuehi 2.0
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 09:47 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I can wait till next off season. Ross is pretty much a rookie give him a chance. He’s been working out Hushmanzada n also training MMA with Jay Glazer. This is the year I tell you. Ogbuehi 2.0

He helped us win 2 games with his TD’s against Indy and Atlanta. He’s already done more in his 8 games played than Og did in 34. In fact Og basically sunk 2 seasons in a row all by himself.

Reply/Quote
Ross seems more like an athlete than a football player to me. Catchable balls hit his hands and bounce off. Then how many times does he get open and fall down?

He's been the #1 WR for the last 2 weeks and the #2 for several weeks before and I don't believe he's caught over 2 balls yet.
Reply/Quote