Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
John Ross is an absolute bust
(10-25-2018, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Valid points, but you know someone is going to bring up draft status for all those players and say Ross has (much) higher expectations than those other three combined.

Which is definitely understandable. And he has done better than the 3 mentioned.
But being a top 10 pick, you're going to get high expectations.
Mike Williams and Corey Davis are finally getting their legs churning.

(10-25-2018, 04:50 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Don't forget that they had Eifert out there for the first 4 games as well, until he got hurt in Atlanta. Up until then he had 15 catches, 179 yards, and 1 td. Missing Eifert since then has played a factor as to why the offense is tanking, and imo he was more vital than Ross.

Regardless, the offense currently has AJ Green, of the top receivers in the league. Tyler Boyd has become one of the better number 2 receivers in the league. Joe Mixon, who some think can be a superstar someday, in the backfield. And then Andy Dalton, an 8 year veteran who should be at the top of his game.

If the offense is tanking because it is missing John frikkin Ross, then this offense has some serious issues starting at the top with Lazor and perhaps even Dalton as well.

I don't believe Ross is the main reason for them tanking. But I do believe that it plays a factor. As does Eifert's injury and the fact that Dalton spends the least amount of time in the pocket among qualifying quarterbacks.

Ross helps with over the top and there's instances where he's cleared out defenders because of his speed.

Not many other players bring fear to DCs. Some may argue Core with his speed. But he's been lackluster and has even been given chances, but he still has 0 catches. So not many defenders are going to be afraid of Core.

Lazor needs to adjust some stuff. The offense started off hot and is now starting to spiral. 44 points in their last three games is not good. That's less than 15 PPG
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 03:13 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah, I think they are still waiting. 

On a serious note, why dont they ever do slants with Ross? He is fast supposedly and should be able to get separation. If he cant do that then he is completely worthless to us. 

I think they are afraid that if he did a Crossing route or a slant that he would get killed across the middle
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
9. WR John Ross, Cincinnati Bengals: Signed a deal worth $17.1 million with a $10.6 million signing bonus, per Rapoport.

10. QB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs: The team announced Mahomes' signing on July 20.

11. CB Marshon Lattimore, New Orleans Saints: Signed his rookie contract with the team on June 2, the Saints announced.

12. QB Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans: Watson's deal is worth $13.85 million and has a signing bonus of $8.22 million, a source informed of the situation told Rapoport.

Yawn

Ninja

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 04:51 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: 9. WR John Ross, Cincinnati Bengals: Signed a deal worth $17.1 million with a $10.6 million signing bonus, per Rapoport.

10. QB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs: The team announced Mahomes' signing on July 20.

11. CB Marshon Lattimore, New Orleans Saints: Signed his rookie contract with the team on June 2, the Saints announced.

12. QB Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans: Watson's deal is worth $13.85 million and has a signing bonus of $8.22 million, a source informed of the situation told Rapoport.

Yawn  

Ninja

"With their first round pick the New England Patriots select Dominique Easley, Defensive tackle, Florida"
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You mean roid up lol

Who knew? Apparently, acupuncture can turn anyone into The Hulk!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 08:17 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I was skeptical when the team drafted the guy, as he was injured coming out of college.  I've tried to get excited for him, whenever he's flashed a bit of that ability he was drafted to bring to the team.  Now, I'm just growing tired of waiting for him to produce, to demonstrate good effort, and tired of waiting for him to not be injured.

I wouldn't label him a complete bust, just yet.  However, it does appear that the Ross train to bustville has left the station..

I've tried too, but it's hard to get excited about a guy that cannot stay on the field. Should have traded him to Dallas, I'll bet we could have gotten a 2nd rounder AND a defensive player for him from Jerry Jones. My second concern is that apparent lack of effort on several occasions, he'll never be a top tier player like that at this level.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 08:18 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: I've tried too, but it's hard to get excited about a guy that cannot stay on the field. Should have traded him to Dallas, I'll bet we could have gotten a 2nd rounder AND a defensive player for him from Jerry Jones. My second concern is that apparent lack of effort on several occasions, he'll never be a top tier player like that at this level.

See, John Ross is a West Coast, California guy, and he's got the ego to match it.  He's not going to give it up for some small market, Midwest Team.  C'mon now.  He likely thinks that if he just "flashes" enough, some high profile, major market team will overpay for his talents.  (I have no factual information to back up that opinion, just a hunch)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 04:10 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Which is definitely understandable. And he has done better than the 3 mentioned.

I don't believe Ross is the main reason for them tanking. But I do believe that it plays a factor. As does Eifert's injury and the fact that Dalton spends the least amount of time in the pocket among qualifying quarterbacks.

Ross helps with over the top and there's instances where he's cleared out defenders because of his speed.

Not many other players bring fear to DCs. Some may argue Core with his speed. But he's been lackluster and has even been given chances, but he still has 0 catches. So not many defenders are going to be afraid of Core.

Lazor needs to adjust some stuff. The offense started off hot and is now starting to spiral. 44 points in their last three games is not good. That's less than 15 PPG

There have been some things that were shown by him I don't like.

He quit on some routes, and got jammed when Dalton did throw deep to him occasionally.

I do believe the O-Line affects the ability to actually use him more frequently on some deep routes.

Dalton loves him some AJ and the others run shorter higher percentage routes so Ross is probably low on his reads.

I'm not ready to give up on him or call him a bust just yet.

The injuries are real and not just message board opinions.

It is a point of concern. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 03:13 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah, I think they are still waiting. 

On a serious note, why dont they ever do slants with Ross? He is fast supposedly and should be able to get separation. If he cant do that then he is completely worthless to us. 

Great question, this is what i would use this guy for all the time. Seems he comes up gimp on his own, it is not
from taking hits. He has the muscle to take hits, it is the way the coaches use him that is the problem IMO.

And the injuries of course, it is a concern for damn sure and was my only concern with drafting him.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 01:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't have the pics but i have seen Ross next to AB, Ross is taller, bigger and thicker.

No way that Hawk looks bigger than Ross, no way. Ross has looked like a RB in many pics.

I just don't know what player you are looking at here. It is not his size that is the problem, it is his ligaments or something.

Maybe he doesn't stretch enough, i don't know. Conditioning and such.

You must have a love affair with ross because thats just an insane view of him. Am i the only one calling him little?? Look around and open your eyes,ross would get broken in half as a running back. I stood next to ross in TC hes not much taller then me and im 5' 7 . Ive seen people say he looks like a KID.  So dont even try to tell me hes built. He might be the littlest softest wide receiver in the NFL. and thats not just me being a hater. I wanted him to get playing time so bad last year. This year is where the real dissapoinment came in. He is S O F T SOFT SOFT SOFT. AND LITTLE!! 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 02:17 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Our last 10 top draft picks Mellow :

yr. pick#  Player      offense/defense

2008 9     Keith Rivers Linebacker USC
2009 6     Andre Smith Offensive tackle Alabama
2010 21    Jermaine Gresham Tight end Oklahoma 2-time Pro Bowler[19]
2011 4      A. J. Green Wide receiver Georgia 6-time Pro Bowler[20]
2012 17    Dre Kirkpatrick Defensive back Alabama
       27     Kevin Zeitler Offensive guard Wisconsin
2013 21    Tyler Eifert Tight end Notre Dame
2014 24    Darqueze Dennard Defensive back Michigan State Jim Thorpe Award winner[21]
2015 21    Cedric Ogbuehi Offensive tackle Texas A&M
2016 24    William Jackson III Defensive back Houston
2017 9      John Ross Wide receiver Washington
2018 21    Billy Price Center Ohio State
Im sorry but when our fans said we was so good at drafting i always disagreed. They have never took anyone i wanted in the 1st round either yet,only the 2nd round i wanted boyd and hill. And got those guys. The best draft choice was green and that was an obvious pick. But even that one what if we ended up with cam newton,would we have won a playoff game yet, i think its a big possibility. I know he was off the board. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 04:10 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Which is definitely understandable. And he has done better than the 3 mentioned.

Right,the offense looked playoff caliber at first with room to get better, since eifert and gio together been out ,whole different story. The most dissapointing thing is ross returned,and for whatever reason he got one target on a long ball. 1 freaking target. That shows what andy and the team think about ross. After that game and he got hurt. Im like ok we need a #3 receiver enough depending on this little man decoy. I think the smartest thing to do is bring up tate. But i think they will go with malone and erickson (the marvin way) unless we lose another game or two. 

This is where i remember i cant stand marvin. He can put a team together to start the season. But when adversity and injury hits,hes just dumb and does nothing new. His philosphy is just get better without changing personel. Then when we are out of it and he tries new guys ( like westernan and redmond) then they improve win and gets everyone optimistic. Sick of it. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 04:37 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think they are afraid that if he did a Crossing route or a slant that he would get killed across the middle

Because hes little and soft. Hawkins and Ab can even take hits,and yet we are scared for ross's safety because hes built like a middle schooler.
Reply/Quote
Ross isnt a bust right yet.
he was starting to get comfortable as evidence of his TD in Atlanta and his sideline
catch on 3rd down if I recall.
he pulled a groin which could happen to any NFL player especially a WR.
you rarely hear about a QB or LT pulling a groin....why.....?
cause they are ergonomically asked to perform roles much different than WR.
Ross is much like DeShaun Jackson Will Fuller and John Brown. slightly built WRs that can fly.
Ross was a combine sensation. it was just a matter of which team was gonna buy into it.
the Bengals really were lacking that burner on offense.
Andy needed another weapon that could safties away from AJ considering Eifert was still not a sure thing coming back.as OJ Howard was also discussed at 9.
Ross has been injury prone since last year.
whats troublsome is that the front office isnt even trying to off set his injury and Eiferts
with outside help.
Cody Core Alex Erickson Jordan Franks.
give me a break. thats a CFL scout team.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 10:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great question, this is what i would use this guy for all the time. Seems he comes up gimp on his own, it is not
from taking hits. He has the muscle to take hits, it is the way the coaches use him that is the problem IMO.

And the injuries of course, it is a concern for damn sure and was my only concern with drafting him.

I dont know if you are old enough but Eddie Brown used to go over the middle on slants and crossing routes and it was a thing of beauty. Maybe they dont trust his hands?? That is the only thing I can think of.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, John Ross is a West Coast, California guy, and he's got the ego to match it.  He's not going to give it up for some small market, Midwest Team.  C'mon now.  He likely thinks that if he just "flashes" enough, some high profile, major market team will overpay for his talents.  (I have no factual information to back up that opinion, just a hunch)

John Ross actually seems like an extremely down-to-earth, humble guy from the interviews I’ve seen. No ego at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I hated the pick when it was made, expected that he would be oft-injured and so far that has been true. I think the best that we can hope for is that he finds a way to stay healthy, and serves as a lid lifter for us. He is not a star in the making, and slants would be a great way to make sure that he stays off of the playing field.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2018, 12:36 PM)HuDey Wrote: I hated the pick when it was made, expected that he would be oft-injured and so far that has been true. I think the best that we can hope for is that he finds a way to stay healthy, and serves as a lid lifter for us. He is not a star in the making, and slants would be a great way to make sure that he stays off of the playing field.

What receiver is going to step up and make us realize we don't need him? Sure isn't Core.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2018, 07:05 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: I dont know if you are old enough but Eddie Brown used to go over the middle on slants and crossing routes and it was a thing of beauty. Maybe they dont trust his hands?? That is the only thing I can think of.

Downtown Eddie Brown!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2018, 12:42 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: You must have a love affair with ross because thats just an insane view of him. Am i the only one calling him little?? Look around and open your eyes,ross would get broken in half as a running back. I stood next to ross in TC hes not much taller then me and im 5' 7 . Ive seen people say he looks like a KID.  So dont even try to tell me hes built. He might be the littlest softest wide receiver in the NFL. and thats not just me being a hater. I wanted him to get playing time so bad last year. This year is where the real dissapoinment came in. He is S O F T SOFT SOFT SOFT. AND LITTLE!! 

Get out of here with this shit. Whatever

Don't have no love affair you weird bastid. You must have a hate affair.

Ross is listed as 5'11" 3/4" 190 lbs

Pretty much 6 foot, you must of been standing on a hill.

Somebody needs to find the pics of Ross again for this guy people. Dude is delusional in his hate.

I am just trying to be fair here. Been disappointed in Ross and his quitting on routes is undefendable but i will still
root for the guy and his talent is undeniable. I will call out your SOFT argument though, it is sad and has no backing.

Size is not the problem, lots of players his size can take hits and so can he. He comes up lame on his own.

That is the concern.
Reply/Quote