Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
John Ross is an absolute bust
(10-25-2018, 02:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: I know you really like him Nate......but quitting on routes is not a good look, and cost you targets 10 out of 10 times.  Drops are one thing, but outright quitting on routes and contributing to two INTs directly will make a QBs confidence in you falter a bit.  To Dalton's credit, he went right back to him at Atlanta, and went to him at KC until he came up lame again.

Well yeah, quitting on routes is indefensable.

I just don't like the idea of quitting on our top 10 pick this early...

(10-25-2018, 02:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think one reason I still hold out hope for Ross is he's not reinjuring those repaired knees like some people thought would happen (almost) immediately upon entering the league. The injuries he is suffering are almost always different. Arm, ankle, groin, etc. It's when it happens over and over that it becomes a true problem.

This.

(10-25-2018, 03:05 PM)3wt Wrote: Maybe it's just that Hill and Brown play bigger than Ross.  

Of course they do, they are two of the biggest playmakers in the NFL.

Just saying the size thing is not an issue with Ross getting injured as these guys don't get injured that
much and they are smaller.

(10-25-2018, 04:01 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: John Ross has been on the field for 159 snaps.
Erickson, Core, and Malone has been on the field for a combined 248 snaps.

John Ross has 79 receiving yards and 7 receptions.
The other 3 have a combined 81 receiving yards and 11 receptions.

Ross has 2 TDs.
The other three have 0.

John Ross is tied for 3rd for receiving TDs on this team, despite missing games.

Fact is; the Bengals offense has looked way better with him on the field than without him.
The Bengals offense scored 13 points against the Dolphins without him. They scored 21 points against the Steelers. And while he only played basically a quarter, the offense only scored 10 against the Chiefs.

To believe that John Ross doesn't help this offense out is ludicrous and goes against film.

Some can argue "Well eventually they'll leave Ross one on one and dare the Bengals to beat them deep".
How is that a negative?
Four of Ross' catches have gone for first downs. Two are touchdowns.
Only one catch didn't go for a touchdown or first down.

Great post Wolf. Cool
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 04:01 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: John Ross has been on the field for 159 snaps.

Ross has 2 TDs.
The other three have 0.

John Ross is tied for 3rd for receiving TDs on this team, despite missing games.

Fact is; the Bengals offense has looked way better with him on the field than without him.
The Bengals offense scored 13 points against the Dolphins without him. They scored 21 points against the Steelers. And while he only played basically a quarter, the offense only scored 10 against the Chiefs.

To believe that John Ross doesn't help this offense out is ludicrous and goes against film.

Some can argue "Well eventually they'll leave Ross one on one and dare the Bengals to beat them deep".
How is that a negative?

Valid points, but you know someone is going to bring up draft status for all those players and say Ross has (much) higher expectations than those other three combined.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Eventually he's going to run out of things to injure once and something is going to get injured twice, though.

It could, and once that starts happening, that's where real concern should start. But for right now, I'm not seeing a chronic issue with Ross. Just a bunch of different things happening one after another.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Stop defending him his trending hard towards bust status and I’d already say confidently he wasn’t worth a top 10 pick
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote

Ross has 2 TDs.
The other three have 0.

How is that a negative?

Don't forget that they had Eifert out there for the first 4 games as well, until he got hurt in Atlanta. Up until then he had 15 catches, 179 yards, and 1 td. Missing Eifert since then has played a factor as to why the offense is tanking, and imo he was more vital than Ross.

Regardless, the offense currently has AJ Green, of the top receivers in the league. Tyler Boyd has become one of the better number 2 receivers in the league. Joe Mixon, who some think can be a superstar someday, in the backfield. And then Andy Dalton, an 8 year veteran who should be at the top of his game.

If the offense is tanking because it is missing John frikkin Ross, then this offense has some serious issues starting at the top with Lazor and perhaps even Dalton as well.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
absolute is a strong word. For now, he is a short term bust. I felt the same way about Tyler Boyd heading into this season. Hopefully he will make a role for himself before the end of the season.
Reply/Quote
I first read the title and thought it said, "John Ross is an absolute beast" hahaha
Reply/Quote
Dudes hurt let him get healthy before we call him a bust.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 10:32 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Dudes hurt let him get healthy before we call him a bust.

Yes. Let’s wait 6 seasons on a high first round pick before we call him a bust. Sounds reasonable
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:52 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Was mad when Ross was selected per Bengals needing OL help more and have not been happy with production since being here.

Yet believe it is too early to give up on him but as Bfine pointed out he is definitely trending in wrong direction quickly.

Already can be labeled injury prone and he will need to work hard to erase that moniker.

Hope he makes it though because it would obviously help immediately to have that 3rd receiving threat,

But not counting on it at this point but still affording him the opportunity to prove me wrong.

I remember this being a common sentiment, and from what I have seen, Garrett Bolles hasn't impressed much.  I think he was the earliest tackle selected that we could have gone after.  Granted, he could still develop, but the last Denver game I watched he was getting killed.

Hindsight being 20/20, I really wanted Ross but if we are going to use him as they have thus far, I would have rather had a safety or LB.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Valid points, but you know someone is going to bring up draft status for all those players and say Ross has (much) higher expectations than those other three combined.

or be as reliable as Eifert when he's not hurt.   Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 12:02 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yes.  Let’s wait 6 seasons on a high first round pick before we call him a bust. Sounds reasonable

Six? More like three especially for a guy who has proven to be effective when healthy.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 11:22 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: or be as reliable as Eifert when he's not hurt.   Rolleyes

That's just unrealistic expectations. A smaller, speedy deep threat WR is not going to be as reliable of a target as a big pass catching TE like Eifert. If the Bengals felt they needed more of a possession receiver, they would have gone after a pass catching TE or bigger WR with glue for hands.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I absolutely hated the pick, especially in the first round. Ts, can't call the kid a "bust" just yet. Injury prone? Yep! Not yet a bust though.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 12:02 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yes.  Let’s wait 6 seasons on a high first round pick before we call him a bust. Sounds reasonable

Thanks for proving how much you know about Ross.
Reply/Quote
Our last 10 top draft picks Mellow :

yr. pick#  Player      offense/defense

2008 9     Keith Rivers Linebacker USC
2009 6     Andre Smith Offensive tackle Alabama
2010 21    Jermaine Gresham Tight end Oklahoma 2-time Pro Bowler[19]
2011 4      A. J. Green Wide receiver Georgia 6-time Pro Bowler[20]
2012 17    Dre Kirkpatrick Defensive back Alabama
       27     Kevin Zeitler Offensive guard Wisconsin
2013 21    Tyler Eifert Tight end Notre Dame
2014 24    Darqueze Dennard Defensive back Michigan State Jim Thorpe Award winner[21]
2015 21    Cedric Ogbuehi Offensive tackle Texas A&M
2016 24    William Jackson III Defensive back Houston
2017 9      John Ross Wide receiver Washington
2018 21    Billy Price Center Ohio State
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 12:34 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I absolutely hated the pick, especially in the first round. Ts, can't call the kid a "bust" just yet. Injury prone? Yep! Not yet a bust though.

Thank you for some rationality from someone who absolutely hated the pick Coach. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 02:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thank you for some rationality from someone who absolutely hated the pick Coach. :andy:

I'm not willing to label him that either.  I felt it was a luxury pick, but had hopes for him being a burner. He did some good things at ATL, really made up for the lackluster effort at CAR.  Just sucks that he gets hurt and can't build on his momentum.  He needs to talk to James Harrison about how to keep one's body in shape for the NFL grind....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 02:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm not willing to label him that either.  I felt it was a luxury pick, but had hopes for him being a burner. He did some good things at ATL, really made up for the lackluster effort at CAR.  Just sucks that he gets hurt and can't build on his momentum.  He needs to talk to James Harrison about how to keep one's body in shape for the NFL grind....lol.

You mean roid up lol
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:55 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: He simply cannot stay healthy to get necessary reps but I wouldn't call that a bust.  He does, however, remind me of Jerome Simpson who was a late bloomer...

Yeah, I think they are still waiting. 

On a serious note, why dont they ever do slants with Ross? He is fast supposedly and should be able to get separation. If he cant do that then he is completely worthless to us. 
Reply/Quote