Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
John Ross is an absolute bust
(10-25-2018, 02:04 AM)Trademark Wrote: It’s fitting to because he is also made of glass apparently. Please just cut this bum already

A terrible draft choice and Marvin was warned he was not a 1st round draft choice and the nfl pundits highly questioned this pick.Please someone replace this coach and bring a winner in here,although a top coach,both college and pros would NEVER work for mike brown.we are stuck with a pro team rated as the worse in all of sports.and they earn that title every week.wish I could say different,but I am a bengals fan and I have to live with this crap and believe me its not peaches and cream in my household and all of my friends are looking at another year of embarrassment and hearing from the stinkin stooler fans about how great their dirty team is.I do believe that the new England pats or the dirty stoolers will win the afc and play the rams in this years super.
Reply/Quote
It's not really all Ross's fault he gets so much static.  He didn't make himself the overall 9th pick.  Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis did that.  If he had been a 5th round pick, I doubt many here would even notice that he wasn't contributing.  What is troubling is that the Bengals completely whiffed on another 1st round draft pick and it's starting to really show, especially when paired with Ced.  

We don't have good enough coaching to make mistakes in the draft.  Heck, New England completely loses their 1st (2016) and 4th (2017) picks and it doesn't seem to even slow them down.  Just goes to show how much upper management and coaching help that team.  Think they'll take our 2017 9th overall pick for Josh Gordon?   Hilarious
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:01 AM)fortyyearfan Wrote: A terrible draft choice and Marvin was warned he was not a 1st round draft choice and the nfl pundits highly questioned this pick.Please someone replace this coach and bring a winner in here,although a top coach,both college and pros would NEVER work for mike brown.we are stuck with a pro team rated as the worse in all of sports.and they earn that title every week.wish I could say different,but I am a bengals fan and I have to live with this crap and believe me its not peaches and cream in my household and all of my friends are looking at another year of embarrassment and hearing from the stinkin stooler fans about how great their dirty team is.I do believe that the new England pats or the dirty stoolers will win the afc and play the rams in this years super.

What makes you think that Ross was a Marvin selection?  I've always had the impression that Marvin was against this pick.  I'm thinking that this is a Mike Brown special..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 05:51 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: People said the exact same thing about Tyler Boyd before this season.  Yeah, I wish that he'd go out there and look like Deshean Jackson V-II every play, but he is raw as raw can be.  The guy didn't even play much in college.  He's still in the driver's seat as far as how good of a player he is going to be in the league.

Anybody that remotely tries to compare Ross to Boyd is making a terrible comparison. Boyd's rookie year he had 54 catches for 603 yards. Ross has 7 catches for his career for 79 yards. 

Funny it was never too early to call Ced a bust, but many think it's to early to place the label on Ross. He may not be a bust yet; but he's damn sure trending that direction.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:04 AM)Trademark Wrote: It’s fitting to because he is also made of glass apparently. Please just cut this bum already

This type of approach would have led to us cutting both Dree Kirkpatrick and Darquez Dennard.

I am not saying that Ross will ever develop into a good NFL player, but you can't run a football team by making emotional knee-jerk drama-queen decisions.

BTW where is the standard "I hope I am wrong" disclaimer you usually attach to your whimpering lamentations?
Reply/Quote

Cutting him would make no sense.  

Here is what would make sense:

Stop sending him on the same 9 route that we connected on in the preseason.  That is currently all other teams defend on him, although it does help to open up the underneath stuff.  Look no further than what Eifert and Boyd were doing when they were all on the field.  The loss of Eifert is a big one, but our one-dimensional route tree for Ross is the root of the problem.

Slants, screens, etc.  where he can use his speed and phone-booth quicks (something NO OTHER BENGAL WR POSSESSES) and make guys miss.  Only throwing him low % bombs is wasting his talents.

Yes, he is injured again.  It happens.  Eifert was not a bust, just unlucky.  

Ross will be back and has to be used by an offensive mind from this decade.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote:
This type of approach would have led to us cutting both Dree Kirkpatrick and Darquez Dennard.

I am not saying that Ross will ever develop into a good NFL player, but you can't run a football team by making emotional knee-jerk drama-queen decisions.

BTW where is the standard "I hope I am wrong" disclaimer you usually attach to your whimpering lamentations?

Dead on.  Especially Dennard.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Funny it was never too early to call Ced a bust, 

How about Andre Smith, William Jackson, Dree Kirkpatrick, and Draquez Dennard.  All of them were called busts at the same stage of their career, but fans only remember the correct predictions they made and deny the ones that were wrong.

I agree Ross is definitely trending in that direction, but it would be absurd to release him now.
Reply/Quote
Was mad when Ross was selected per Bengals needing OL help more and have not been happy with production since being here.

Yet believe it is too early to give up on him but as Bfine pointed out he is definitely trending in wrong direction quickly.

Already can be labeled injury prone and he will need to work hard to erase that moniker.

Hope he makes it though because it would obviously help immediately to have that 3rd receiving threat,

But not counting on it at this point but still affording him the opportunity to prove me wrong.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How about Andre Smith, William Jackson, Dree Kirkpatrick, and Draquez Dennard.  All of them were called busts at the same stage of their career, but fans only remember the correct predictions they made and deny the ones that were wrong.

I agree Ross is definitely trending in that direction, but it would be absurd to release him now.

Hell, I wasn't correct; I thought Ced would work out, but I was also a big fan of Andre 350 and D2. Kirk, not so much; I wanted the Jackrabbit. I think that's why many are quick/remiss to apply the bust tag, because the player was not a favorite of theirs in the draft. I thought JR was a terrible pick and if not for 1 40 yard dash he would have been a mid-rounder; so I may be doubtful of his ability to blossom more than others.. Also I don't remember anybody ever saying WJIII was a bust. 

How long do we give it before we are allowed to call someone a bust? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton doesn't target Ross and we seem to trust Dalton's football IQ and dedication to making the Bengals a winner, so does this make Ross a bust? No, but it shows that people who aren't just dumbarse fans and dumbarse Marvin Lewis aren't too high on the guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 04:57 AM)bengaltruth Wrote: Ross is no bust, The Bengals,  used Ross wrong! by running reverses with him early, leading to injuries, now hes scared to death. Ross is a deep threat, stretch the field type only. But Marvin is trying to make him a everything WR, absolutely dumb how our HC thinks. Ross > Simpson. They even tried him as punt returner wow super dumb, you have to know your players and use them according to there strengths, That's coaching 101.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing, great post.

Haven't used him right when he has been healthy since he got here.

(10-25-2018, 05:51 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: People said the exact same thing about Tyler Boyd before this season.  Yeah, I wish that he'd go out there and look like Deshean Jackson V-II every play, but he is raw as raw can be.  The guy didn't even play much in college.  He's still in the driver's seat as far as how good of a player he is going to be in the league.

Plus he is young, cut this guy and watch him go to the Pats and torch everyone. Or worse the Steelers.

If the coaches knew how to use him to his strengths as Bengaltruth here says he could be great.

Will always root for this guy and just the anger towards him not being able to stay healthy makes me dislike some on here.

John Ross doesn't deserve this vitrial.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This type of approach would have led to us cutting both Dree Kirkpatrick and Darquez Dennard.

Definately agree with you here Fred, spot on.
Reply/Quote
I hate to agree but i think hes a bust now for multiple reasons. 1 drops 2 little body for a nfl receiver, tyreek hill looks bigger then him, hawkins had a bigger body then him 3 injuries , the guy hasnt even got hit hard yet and has had multiple injuries. 4 bengals dont plan on giving him tasrgets so thatll ruin his rep later 5 hes very quiet abd soft looking , no personality at all from him

I liked the pick at first but i really didnt know who ross was,just from a far distance i seen them talking about the jump catch he did, i thought he must of been really good. Little did i know hes a short small quiet receiver whos basically just a deep threat decoy.
Reply/Quote
I've been disappointed with Ross as much as anybody, but after watching Tyler Boyd's development in year 3, I willing to cut Ross some slack. Doesn't mean it'll ever happen for Ross as he very well might end up a bust, but I backing off the ledge for now and gonna be more patient with him. Hard to knock a guy for an injury that occurred while scoring a touchdown.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 12:23 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I hate to agree but i think hes a bust now for multiple reasons. 1 drops 2 little body for a nfl receiver, tyreek hill looks bigger then him, hawkins had a bigger body then him 3 injuries , the guy hasnt even got hit hard yet and has had multiple injuries. 4 bengals dont plan on giving him tasrgets so thatll ruin his rep later 5 hes very quiet abd soft looking , no personality at all from him

I liked the pick at first but i really didnt know who ross was,just from a far distance i seen them talking about the jump catch he did, i thought he must of been really good. Little did i know hes a short small quiet receiver whos basically just a deep threat decoy.

WTF are you looking at?

Ross is bigger than both Hill and Antonio Brown and Baby Hawk was 5'7". Shocked
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Anybody that remotely tries to compare Ross to Boyd is making a terrible comparison. Boyd's rookie year he had 54 catches for 603 yards. Ross has 7 catches for his career for 79 yards. 

Funny it was never too early to call Ced a bust, but many think it's to early to place the label on Ross. He may not be a bust yet; but he's damn sure trending that direction.

I think the main difference between Ross and Og is that both struggled and were hurt their first 2 years, but Ross has had a handful of plays that show he COULD be a special player if he stays healthy and puts it all together.  Og has never really flashed anything positive.  
Reply/Quote
John Ross has bought a ticket on the bust train but he hasn't boarded quite yet. Who knows he may come back and just light it up (I doubt it) ?

He still has time (a little) to not get onboard, will he ?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 12:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I was going to say pretty much the same thing, great post.

Haven't used him right when he has been healthy since he got here.

Plus he is young, cut this guy and watch him go to the Pats and torch everyone. Or worse the Steelers.

If the coaches knew how to use him to his strengths as Bengaltruth here says he could be great.

Will always root for this guy and just the anger towards him not being able to stay healthy makes me dislike some on here.

John Ross doesn't deserve this vitrial.

Geez that's a pretty grim assessment of our organization if you think we are getting next to nothing out of a guy Tomlin and Randy Fischner would make into a world beater.

Whether a WR was a top pick or a 7th rounder, if he isn't a big part of our game plan he's going to to New England or Pittsburgh and curb stomp us with righteous vengeance. I haven't checked out that Auden Tate thread in a while, but I'm sure there is at least one person in there warning us that if we don't keep Tate he's going to go to the Steelers/Patriots and make us sorry.
Reply/Quote
I wanted OJ Howard before the draft. Eifert was (is) always hurt, Kroft is a TE2 at best, Uzomah was a project. Sure, you can’t teach speed...but I’d rather have solid and dependable and mentally tough.
Reply/Quote