Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
John Ross record breaking pace.
(09-22-2019, 07:27 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ross is thinking too much again. Someone needs to slap the thinking out of his head to avoid more dropsies.

He needs to stop thinking...maybe he needs a lobotomy or something. Actually, he could just get drunk before the game...lord knows I stop thinking when I'm blackout drunk.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 06:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Marvin sure wasn't going to let us find out.

Honestly, you can see why coaches didn't want to play him. Could you imagine him in practice?

There were reports that he looked bad in OTA's. The way he misses passes, I could easily see that.
Reply/Quote
is it lilegal to put stickum on gloves in NFL?
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 07:15 PM)Roland Wrote: After two games thanks entirely to one meaningless long touchdown reception in garbage time. 

Enough to produce wins instead of putting the team out of games in the first half so that he ends up padding his stats in the second half with meaningless receptions and touchdowns.

I'd like as much as anyone for Ross to turn out to be a great player.  I'd love to be wrong on this.  But if you look at the reality of his performance it's clear that if Green were starting Ross would have no more touches and no more touchdowns than in his previous games.  But he'd probably still be dropping 50% of his touches.

Sounds like your definition of "productive" might be different than what some others (like myself) consider it.
For me, it's yards and TDs for individuals. Statistical production.
Wins and losses is part of team production. I don't put that all on one player, especially a receiver, who is completely dependent on being thrown the ball.
If you want to lump wins and losses into whether a WR is productive or not, that's your choice, but I don't think everyone thinks the same way you do.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 03:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I blame Marvin Lewis he’s not an offensive coach. ?
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sounds like your definition of "productive" might be different than what some others (like myself) consider it.
For me, it's yards and TDs for individuals. Statistical production.
Wins and losses is part of team production. I don't put that all on one player, especially a receiver, who is completely dependent on being thrown the ball.
If you want to lump wins and losses into whether a WR is productive or not, that's your choice, but I don't think everyone thinks the same way you do.

You're talking about fantasy football.  In assessing his net contribution to the team you have to consider both the positive and the negative.   You can't pick two statistics and just ignore the fact that he sets the team back or outright kills drives with mistakes, penalties, dropped balls, and fumbles.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 11:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Agreed. There is progress, and that is encouraging but he needs to stay honed in on catching the ball. He's right on the cusp of becoming a legit threat and player in the league but he needs more consistency. Cutting down on the dropped passes would do wonders. 
Reply/Quote
Ross dropping passes and fumbling are one thing, but this notion that every time he screws up it is Dalton's sworn duty to throw the ball right back to him ASAP is a little fatiguing.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 11:24 AM)Roland Wrote: You're talking about fantasy football.  In assessing his net contribution to the team you have to consider both the positive and the negative.   You can't pick two statistics and just ignore the fact that he sets the team back or outright kills drives with mistakes, penalties, dropped balls, and fumbles.

Look, I understand your point, but I still disagree that John Ross hasn't been productive. He's the leading receiver on the team with 292 yards and 3 TDs. No other players outside of Boyd even has 100 yards.

Look at another reference point: Calvin Johnson had nearly 2000 receiving yards in 2012 but the Lions went 4-12. Sometimes that happens where 1-2 players get a lot of statistical production but it doesn't translate into wins. It's a consolation prize.

I get wanting to criticize Ross for his mistakes but you should be criticizing the other players for not stepping up just as much (or more) than jabbing at Ross. The other players need to step up a lot more than Ross IMO.

Besides, no one said Ross was the greatest receiver in the league. After Week 2, he was leading in yards and tied for the lead in TDs but we all knew that was going to be difficult to sustain. Heck, most of us never even considered Ross to be the #1 WR on the team with AJ out. We all just wanted him to finally play to WR3 level, which would be like 600+ yards and a handful of TDs.
I think he's showing he can be a good option as a WR3, don't you? Or would you prefer someone who has half his statistical production but fewer dropped passes?

My point is this. John Ross, despite his drops, has been one of the very few bright spots on the team so far. He's not the best WR in the league (no one has said this), but he's showing he belongs as a WR2/WR3, which is ultimately what we all were hoping for. Sure, we all want wins, but if the team doesn't get wins, it's good to see some players do well who haven't in seasons prior.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 12:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ross dropping passes and fumbling are one thing, but this notion that every time he screws up it is Dalton's sworn duty to throw the ball right back to him ASAP is a little fatiguing.

If he’s open he should get the ball. Period.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 12:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My point is this. John Ross, despite his drops, has been one of the very few bright spots on the team so far. He's not the best WR in the league (no one has said this), but he's showing he belongs as a WR2/WR3, which is ultimately what we all were hoping for. Sure, we all want wins, but if the team doesn't get wins, it's good to see some players do well who haven't in seasons prior.

He was a bright side in the first game.  Since then he's reverted to his norm so it appears to have been a fluke rather than a breakout.   He's going to have to put together some games with decent positive stats and no setbacks before he can truly be called a bright side" to this season.  
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 12:12 AM)Roland Wrote: He was a bright side in the first game.  Since then he's reverted to his norm so it appears to have been a fluke rather than a breakout.   He's going to have to put together some games with decent positive stats and no setbacks before he can truly be called a bright side" to this season.  

He’s gone from a complete non-factor to a legitimate threat that can break open a game, and opposing defenses have to account for. I call that a bright spot compared to most of the rest of the team right now.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 12:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s gone from a complete non-factor to a legitimate threat that can break open a game, and opposing defenses have to account for. I call that a bright spot compared to most of the rest of the team right now.

Thread killer....(Hopefully)
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 12:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s gone from a complete non-factor to a legitimate threat that can break open a game, and opposing defenses have to account for. I call that a bright spot compared to most of the rest of the team right now.

He's also interesting because every time he's involved in a play he's a legitimate threat to halt any progress we have upon a dime.  As someone who wants to be entertained, I'm beyond fine with this.  
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 12:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If he’s open he should get the ball. Period.

And if he is passed the ball, he needs to catch it and keep it until the official asks for the ball. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 11:56 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Agreed. There is progress, and that is encouraging but he needs to stay honed in on catching the ball. He's right on the cusp of becoming a legit threat and player in the league but he needs more consistency. Cutting down on the dropped passes would do wonders. 

Agree with this, needs to stop dropping balls. No excusing this and I am a Ross supporter.

Been one from the beginning and it hasn't been easy.
Reply/Quote

Have to say this at the very least.

Great post Nicomo.
Reply/Quote
Ross provides the Bengals offense a dimension that no other WR,
Possess. The run after catch ability to simply out run every defender
To the house. Even fast CBs.
Now that AJ has been MIA.....that part of his game is that much
More crucial.
Alex Erickson can't out run defenders.
Ross's dropped passes is just a part of his game maturation
Which looks better overall ? Ross's 7 drops and 3 TDS .292 receiving ......or Erickson's paltrey 40 yds no drops and no TDs?
Reply/Quote