John Ross to be activated
The truth is John Ross is the only WR that can take the top
Of the defense on this roster
He's the only the WR at the moment that can do damage
After the catch
His speed changes the complexion on how this offense
Is schemed against
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 01:18 AM)impactplaya Wrote: The truth is John Ross is the only WR that can take the top
After the catch
Is schemed against

While you are 100% accurate here, isn't it more fun to piss and moan about his injuries?  I will add that I STILL don't think they have used him to the fullest extent.  His big plays were mostly down the field.  I would use him more on screens and end-arounds and loosen up a defense that is teeing off on Dalton.  I hope he is active against New England and we see some more plays designed to get him the ball in space.  We never did it for Gio, though, so I won't hold my breath. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While you are 100% accurate here, isn't it more fun to piss and moan about his injuries?  I will add that I STILL don't think they have used him to the fullest extent.  His big plays were mostly down the field.  I would use him more on screens and end-arounds and loosen up a defense that is teeing off on Dalton.  I hope he is active against New England and we see some more plays designed to get him the ball in space.  We never did it for Gio, though, so I won't hold my breath. 

Funny how Hawkins was used should have been a good template for these type players.

Yes I realize they're not the same build, but have the same type of explosiveness in space.

I just don't get it.

Guess who the OC was here during that time???
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
People really just constantly taking digs at Ross every time he's mentioned, eh?
How about instead of saying, "Just a matter of time before he's hurt again," let's say, "Here's to hoping he stays healthy from here on out!"
Stop wishing for the guy to fail just to fit your agenda. You should want him to succeed. He's electrifying when he's on the field.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Funny how Hawkins was used should have been a good template for these type players.

Yes I realize they're not the same build, but have the same type of explosiveness in space.

I just don't get it.

Guess who the OC was here during that time???

Hawkins would have never succeeded if he was sent on as many deep routes as Ross.
So yes, Ross needs to be used more in the short passing game and then get YAC, as you said.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 01:18 AM)impactplaya Wrote: The truth is John Ross is the only WR that can take the top
After the catch
Is schemed against

Been on the team three years and has like 500yds. I guess you think resigning him is a good move.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hawkins would have never succeeded if he was sent on as many deep routes as Ross.
So yes, Ross needs to be used more in the short passing game and then get YAC, as you said.

Yep.

Okay.  Realistic question here.

Who thought boy wonder Taylor was going to get more out of Gio going into this season?

Perhaps get him out in space?  Get creative for once since Gruden has been OC here.

Never happened... and guess what...  we extend Gio and make him a high dollar player for his position!
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:03 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yep.

Who thought boy wonder Taylor was going to get more out of Gio going into this season?

Perhaps get him out in space?  Get creative for once since Gruden has been OC here.

Never happened... and guess what...  we extend Gio and make him a high dollar player for his position!

I thought Gio, Mixon, and Ross were going to be used a lot in the passing game on short routes.
Then again, I also thought AJ was only going to be 2-4 games so...
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:59 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Been on the team three years and has like 500yds. I guess you think resigning him is a good move.

Yes I would.
For the record he is averaging a TD per 3.7 catches in his 
Short career. 
In his limited time this season he still has the most catches 
Over 40 yards this season of anybody else on the roster 
His yard per reception this year is 20.5
So after you read this find me a WR on this roster that can 
Replicate that or better yet find me a FA WR that the Bengals 
Could sign under Mike Browns frugal approach to adding 
Talent in FA that can match those stats I gave you 
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:59 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Been on the team three years and has like 500yds. I guess you think resigning him is a good move.

Since the start of 2017 season, Ross has actually been more productive than Tyler Eifert both in yards and TDs.
Ross - 538 yards, 10 TDs
Eifert - 477 yards, 3 TDs

If you don't want Ross around, you better not want Eifert either because Eifert has been worse.

And for the record, I want to see how Ross does next year before deciding whether to extend him or not. Fine with parting ways if he continues to miss chunks of games beyond this year. I felt the same with Eifert.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:03 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yep.

(12-03-2019, 11:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought Gio, Mixon, and Ross were going to be used a lot in the passing game on short routes.
Then again, I also thought AJ was only going to be 2-4 games so...

Me to

I thought we would see way more downfield passing to the RB's. A lot more motion, play action, busier offense. 
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Since the start of 2017 season, Ross has actually been more productive than Tyler Eifert both in yards and TDs.
Ross - 538 yards, 10 TDs
Eifert - 477 yards, 3 TDs

If you don't want Ross around, you better not want Eifert either because Eifert has been worse.

Eifert is nothing more than a role player and is now payed as one. Ross, if they try to resign him , will be the heir apparent to the #1 WR spot. Name another team who has a#1 receiver with Ross's stats. If Ross could stay healthy and be something more than a sprinter to go along with his red zone play then he would definitely be a asset to the team going forward. He was injured when he was drafted ( I wonder how that happened) and has been injured ever since. 
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:39 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me to

I thought we would see way more downfield passing to the RB's. A lot more motion, play action, busier offense. 

Instead we're loaded(number wise)with TEs but ignore them as well.

Kudos for Dalton getting Uz involved in this game(even if he dropped a sure TD like Eifert).

I don't really see any true plan for this offense.

No great crossing routes for WRs. 

Ignoring opposing teams D who can't cover TEs and don't throw to one until 35 minutes into a game.

Not using the backs as you said as much for catching.

Nothing screams creative offensive mind for me.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:45 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Eifert is nothing more than a role player and is now payed as one. Ross, if they try to resign him , will be the heir apparent to the #1 WR spot. Name another team who has a#1 receiver with Ross's stats. If Ross could stay healthy and be something more than a sprinter to go along with his red zone play then he would definitely be a asset to the team going forward. He was injured when he was drafted ( I wonder how that happened) and has been injured ever since. 

That's inaccurate actually. Eifert was not a role player up until this year when the scheme didn't emphasize the TE as a pass catcher. He was a key part of the offense but was very injury prone. He was re-signed on the cheap in hopes that his injury woes would be behind him such that he could get back to his elite pass catching ways.

As for Ross, the intention of him being drafted was to take the top off the defense and open up the field for the other receivers (Green, Eifert, LaFell, Boyd). Maybe the vision was for him to eventually become the heir to AJ Green but it's pretty apparent he's not there yet.
Do you really think this team would pay Ross like a true WR1 when he hasn't even proven to be a reliable WR2 yet?
I don't.
And re-signing him doesn't mean he will automatically be WR1. I think if he's re-signed and performing the way he has been, he'd be the WR3 if AJ weren't there. Tate and Boyd as the starters and then when Ross comes in, Boyd moves to slot.

Also, you say "more than a sprinter to go along with his red zone play"...Those are basically two different skills. A sprinter is going to be ineffective in the red zone due to the smaller space to work with. Ross has elite quickness and agility. He has the ability to get separation at any level. It's up to the coaches to use him in all situations. Just because they prefer to send him on deep routes doesn't mean he can't do short routes.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:46 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Instead we're loaded(number wise)with TEs but ignore them as well.

Kudos for Dalton getting Uz involved in this game(even if he dropped a sure TD like Eifert).

I don't really see any true plan for this offense.

No great crossing routes for WRs. 

Ignoring opposing teams D who can't cover TEs and don't throw to one until 35 minutes into a game.

Not using the backs as you said as much for catching.

Nothing screams creative offensive mind for me.
Either the TEs and RBs aren't open or the QBs aren't checking down to them. This o-line doesn't seem athletic enough to block for screen plays.  Isn't it funny how Marvin was down on Tate saying he wasn't ready to play and now he is our most reliable receiver? 
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That's inaccurate actually. Eifert was not a role player up until this year when the scheme didn't emphasize the TE as a pass catcher. He was a key part of the offense but was very injury prone. He was re-signed on the cheap in hopes that his injury woes would be behind him such that he could get back to his elite pass catching ways.

As for Ross, the intention of him being drafted was to take the top off the defense and open up the field for the other receivers (Green, Eifert, LaFell, Boyd). Maybe the vision was for him to eventually become the heir to AJ Green but it's pretty apparent he's not there yet.
Do you really think this team would pay Ross like a true WR1 when he hasn't even proven to be a reliable WR2 yet?
I don't.
And re-signing him doesn't mean he will automatically be WR1. I think if he's re-signed and performing the way he has been, he'd be the WR3 if AJ weren't there. Tate and Boyd as the starters and then when Ross comes in, Boyd moves to slot.

Also, you say "more than a sprinter to go along with his red zone play"...Those are basically two different skills. A sprinter is going to be ineffective in the red zone due to the smaller space to work with. Ross has elite quickness and agility. He has the ability to get separation at any level. It's up to the coaches to use him in all situations. Just because they prefer to send him on deep routes doesn't mean he can't do short routes.

Yep.

Too much focus on his 40 time but ignores his abilities to make moves and people miss.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote:  He was re-signed on the cheap in hopes that his injury woes would be behind him 
 A sprinter is going to be ineffective in the red zone due to the smaller space to work with. 

Eifert the 27th highest paid TE= role player. Ross signed as a sprinter that set sprint record at combine. The majority of his TDs come in the red zone. Why resign him for millions to be WR3? If he isn't WR1 when AJ leaves who is?
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 05:57 PM)pally Wrote: Ross, barring surprise setbacks, is expected to be activated this week and should play Sunday against Cleveland.

In other news,

No update on Green so plan on him being out.  

Jonah Williams will not see the field until next season

Went back and rewatched the game from sunday and this team left 17 points on the field,dropped passes and penalties.should have been 39 to 6.and I do not trust john ross,we will get picked or fumble the ball.Unless he is wide open I would not throw to him as he cannot box out anyone.I expect them to lose in brownie ville. No way do they beat that browns team.the only reason they won sunday is the defense played their ass off and the jets dropped a lot of balls,had they caught them we would have lost.Just sayin,Dalton did play his butt off and had a lot of plays go against him.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 12:03 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yep.

Too much focus on his 40 time but ignores his abilities to make moves and people miss.

And his ability to give up on routes, run the wrong routes, and wind up on the injury report.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 12:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Eifert the 27th highest paid TE= role player. Ross signed as a sprinter that set sprint record at combine. The majority of his TDs come in the red zone. Why resign him for millions to be WR3? If he isn't WR1 when AJ leaves who is?

Well, hate to break it to you, but many teams pay "millions" for their WR3.
Now, when you say millions, you may not mean in the $3-6 mill range, but that's what a WR3 can go for. Right now, I could see a team paying that if John Ross were to hit the open market.

If Ross isn't WR1 when AJ leaves? That's easy. Tyler Boyd (assuming a new guy isn't drafted).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote