Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross to be activated
(12-03-2019, 01:18 AM)impactplaya Wrote: The truth is John Ross is the only WR that can take the top
Of the defense on this roster
He's the only the WR at the moment that can do damage
After the catch
His speed changes the complexion on how this offense
Is schemed against

(12-03-2019, 11:24 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Yes I would.
For the record he is averaging a TD per 3.7 catches in his 
Short career. 
In his limited time this season he still has the most catches 
Over 40 yards this season of anybody else on the roster 
His yard per reception this year is 20.5
So after you read this find me a WR on this roster that can 
Replicate that or better yet find me a FA WR that the Bengals 
Could sign under Mike Browns frugal approach to adding 
Talent in FA that can match those stats I gave you 

He's played in 20 of 44 possible games since being drafted
He led the league in drops this year until he was injured and is still ranked 31st in drops after missing 8 games and playing in only 4
2018 5th year options for a WR picked in the top 10 was $13,924,000
2021 5th year options will be much higher after recent contracts
His 5th year option will cost north of $15M because he was a top 10 pick
He's averaging under 200 yards a season
He played with Sample in Washington

There are other fast WRs around and many can actually catch the ball
We can do better and need to do better
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 07:01 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He's played in 20 of 44 possible games since being drafted
He led the league in drops this year until he was injured and is still ranked 31st in drops after missing 8 games and playing in only 4

Sorry to throw water on your parade 
The Bengals front office isn't going to throw big money at a free agent WR. 
They aren't going to.draft a WR In the 1st 4.RDs 
Because WR isnt why this team is 1 and 11. 
So go ahead thinking a mid RD WR they might draft is going 
To be a upgrade over Ross 
Want to find a FA WR that is better than Ross 
They are out there come 2020.
But your mistaken if you think this front office is gonna
Throw big time $$$$$ at a WR 
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 05:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: That isn't how NFL Injury Guarantees work.  All NFL contracts have injury guarantees that state that if a team tries to release a player when they cannot physically perform they still have to pay that player.  Otherwise, teams could do shady stuff like cut players with season ending injuries who are in contract years to get out of paying them while losing nothing.

You stated that they could sign him and not pay him anything in 2020. If he gets hurt in 2020 they will be stuck paying him in 2021 until he recovers. 
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 08:47 PM)impactplaya Wrote: So go ahead thinking a mid RD WR they might draft is going 

You mean a middle rounder or a late rounder like Tate who has nearly as many yards this year as Ross has in three.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 05:30 PM)impactplaya Wrote: With Ross back now who on the Bengals does the other teams
#1 CB cover ....Boyd right ?
Then the opposite CB is lined up over Ross. I take that matchup any day . And if the other #1 CB lines up over Ross then I like
Boyd all.day on the #2 CB.
Oh BTW now the 3rd CB is on Tate and 4th on Erickson.
See the effect Ross has and he doesn't even have to catch
A pass to pull it off either

I know . We have been invincible since he got here.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 07:01 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He's played in 20 of 44 possible games since being drafted

This is 100% correct. We could get the same production from a league minimum player. I know our "front office" doesn't use analytics but I guarantee Ross would grade out terribly on a purely moneyball approach.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 09:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: You stated that they could sign him and not pay him anything in 2020. If he gets hurt in 2020 they will be stuck paying him in 2021 until he recovers. 

There is no signing or roster bonus with the 5th year option.  It is all salary and players don't start getting game checks until the first game of the regular season.  If he gets hurt in 2020 and passes a physical before Week 1, he can be cut without paying him anything.  
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 08:47 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Sorry to throw water on your parade 
The Bengals front office isn't going to throw big money at a free agent WR. 
They aren't going to.draft a WR In the 1st 4.RDs 
Because WR isnt why this team is 1 and 11. 
So go ahead thinking a mid RD WR they might draft is going 
They are out there come 2020.
But your mistaken if you think this front office is gonna
Throw big time $$$$$ at a WR 

$15M for Ross' 5th year option is big money
WR, or lack of #1 WR AJ Green has a lot to do with this season
It's not the only reason, but it certainly has been a big factor
WRs better than Ross, let's see, Cooper Kupp 3rd round, Chris Goodwin 3rd round, Michael Gallop 3rd round, Kenny Golladay 3rd round, DK Metcaff 2nd round (but we took Sample instead), Terry McLaurin 3rd round
All those guys out produce Ross and cost less
That was too easy
The Bengals be looking for a #1 WR in the upcoming draft
Because they won't have one after AJ leaves

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 12:47 AM)cj1895 Wrote: This is 100% correct. We could get the same production from a league minimum player. I know our "front office" doesn't use analytics but I guarantee Ross would grade out terribly on a purely moneyball approach.

We have a bunch of league minimum WR's already.  None of them are as good as Ross.  The only one that's serviceable is Tate.

A conservative estimate would put Ross finishing the year with 500 yards and 4 TD's. Tyler Boyd had 603 yards and 1 TD as a rookie 2nd round pick.  Point being, you aren't likely to replace his production with a late round flyer despite the drops and injuries.

Wanting a cheaper replacement is fine.  You'd better be willing to spend a Day 2 pick on a WR if that's the case.  That also means other problem areas like OL and LB are going to have to wait.
Reply/Quote
with AJ an unknown Boyd locked in... and Tate coming on I think you keep ross next year.... If its Boyd Ross and Tate I think we can swing that plus and addition either FA or DRAFT

did we pick up ross's option?

after his start this season im willing to see more of ross in these final games before they make that final decision...
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 05:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: with AJ an unknown Boyd locked in... and Tate coming on I think you keep ross next year.... If its Boyd Ross and Tate I think we can swing that plus and addition either FA or DRAFT

did we pick up ross's option?

after his start this season im willing to see more of ross in these final games before they make that final decision...

Yeah you use Ross next year, but you also add a fast WR in the draft or free agency. Ok, the draft.

I wish...we drafted...Metcalf.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Funny how Hawkins was used should have been a good template for these type players.

Yes I realize they're not the same build, but have the same type of explosiveness in space.

I just don't get it.

Guess who the OC was here during that time???

Issue with Ross being used as Hawkins is that Hawkins was a slot receiver meaning they would have to use Ross in Tyler Boyd's spot. I wish Boyd were more versatile but hes not he is one of the best slot receivers in the NFL but hes below average on the outside.

The Bengals need to find an outside receiver or 2 in the draft this year. It's a good year for it too Denzel Mims, Isaiah Hodges, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Joe Reed, Quartney Davis...Just a few names off the top of my head that likely be available day 3....maybe late day 2 for a couple.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
wow didn't know his injury was that serious... Glad ross is okay.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/04/john-ross-was-afraid-injury-could-be-life-threatening/
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 09:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: To me, Ross looked way to comfortable and content sitting on the bench next to AJ......

hes learning well from the all pro eh?
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 05:57 PM)pally Wrote: Ross, barring surprise setbacks, is expected to be activated this week and should play Sunday against Cleveland.

In other news,

No update on Green so plan on him being out.  

Jonah Williams will not see the field until next season

Hope Ross has another game like the Seattle game with no drops.

No surprise on Jonah, thought this would be the case. Never thought he would play this year, no point anyways.

BTW, speaking of WR's Tate made some damn nice catches against the Jets. Just snatching the ball out of the air.

Like this guy.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 06:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: wow didn't know his injury was that serious... Glad ross is okay.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/04/john-ross-was-afraid-injury-could-be-life-threatening/

Actually it was not that serious.  Ross is just being a drama queen.

Pretty much any broken bone in your body would be within an inch or two of cutting an artery.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it was not that serious.  Ross is just being a drama queen.

Pretty much any broken bone in your body would be within an inch or two of cutting an artery.

Ross might be a drama queen or he might not be. A posterior dislocation of the sternoclavicular joint can compress your trachea or the great vessels in your chest which is a true emergency and many times requires surgery. But, the clavicle is inches away from those structures anyway.

We’ll never know by Hobson’s reporting because he clearly doesn’t understand the information he has been given. And I’ve told you before studies show patients forget 50% of what the doc tells them as soon as they walk out the door and they incorrectly remember 20-30% of the remaining 50%. So Ross maybe remembers 35% of what his doc told him correctly.
Reply/Quote
I have just had enough of this guy. Always hurt. Looks scared as hell if he isn't near the endzone where he knows when he catches it the play is over and he won't get lit up. Also couldn't catch herpes from a vietnamese *****. Reminds me of that Featherstone guy from the movie Necessary Roughness.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 06:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Ross might be a drama queen or he might not be. A posterior dislocation of the sternoclavicular joint can compress your trachea or the great vessels in your chest which is a true emergency and many times requires surgery. But, the clavicle is inches away from those structures anyway.

We’ll never know by Hobson’s reporting because he clearly doesn’t understand the information he has been given. And I’ve told you before studies show patients forget 50% of what the doc tells them as soon as they walk out the door and they incorrectly remember 20-30% of the remaining 50%. So Ross maybe remembers 35% of what his doc told him correctly.

But what if he had the same Doc as Steve Austin and he doesn’t need to know?

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 11:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: But what if he had the same Doc as Steve Austin and he doesn’t need to know?

Stone Cold or $6 Million Dollar Man?
Reply/Quote