Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross to be activated
(12-03-2019, 11:24 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Yes I would.
For the record he is averaging a TD per 3.7 catches in his 
Short career. 
In his limited time this season he still has the most catches 
Over 40 yards this season of anybody else on the roster 
His yard per reception this year is 20.5
So after you read this find me a WR on this roster that can 
Replicate that or better yet find me a FA WR that the Bengals 
Could sign under Mike Browns frugal approach to adding 
Talent in FA that can match those stats I gave you 

You can draft a sixth rounder that can average more than 175 yards a year. Pumping up stats to people who don't follow the team is one thing but most people on here know what this #9 first round bust has done for the team. 
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 12:18 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: And his ability to give up on routes, run the wrong routes, and wind up on the injury report.

Look dude I'm not saying he's some kind of superstar.

Is he a bust for a high 1st round pick?  Yep.

He's still serviceable and could be used differently.

Sorry you won't accept that.

Gio is in the same boat for lack of creativity by OCs.

That's all I'm saying.  Nothing more.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:45 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Eifert is nothing more than a role player and is now payed as one. Ross, if they try to resign him , will be the heir apparent to the #1 WR spot. Name another team who has a#1 receiver with Ross's stats. If Ross could stay healthy and be something more than a sprinter to go along with his red zone play then he would definitely be a asset to the team going forward. He was injured when he was drafted ( I wonder how that happened) and has been injured ever since. 

Why would they try to resign Ross at this point?  He still has a year left on his contract plus the 5th year option.
Reply/Quote
He'll be hurt again in two weeks.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 12:38 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Look dude I'm not saying he's some kind of superstar.

Is he a bust for a high 1st round pick?  Yep.

He's still serviceable and could be used differently.

Sorry you won't accept that.

Gio is in the same boat for lack of creativity by OCs.

That's all I'm saying.  Nothing more.
Saying we aren't using him right and insinuating that its coaching won't hold water. Tate has almost the same amount of yards and more catches this year alone. If he were on a team who could accurately deliver the ball deep down field he would be better off but tying up millions doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 12:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: Why would they try to resign Ross at this point?  He still has a year left on his contract plus the 5th year option.

They have to pick up his option in the spring of 2020 and guess what that will cost 11million. Still want to keep him?
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 12:27 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: You can draft a sixth rounder that can average more than 175 yards a year. Pumping up stats to people who don't follow the team is one thing but most people on here know what this #9 first round bust has done for the team. 

What's his average THIS YEAR in the games he's played 
2017 and 2018 are done 
It's 2019. 
What's he done THIS YEAR on the field ?
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 12:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Eifert the 27th highest paid TE= role player. Ross signed as a sprinter that set sprint record at combine. The majority of his TDs come in the red zone. Why resign him for millions to be WR3? If he isn't WR1 when AJ leaves who is?

He is now but he wasn't paid that low the previous two years.
Last year, he was on a base salary of $5.5 mill with incentives to go up to $8 mill in total.
He's now being appropriately paid for his usage, which is $4 million.

As of right now, Ross's rookie wage has him at $4.6 mill. That's outside the top 50 WRs in average salary.
Next year, he'll be at $5.5 mill. Still rather low for WRs.
If he doesn't finish out this year strong, the team shouldn't pick up his 5th year option.

My point is the Bengals would be ok to spend in the $3-6 mill range for Ross at his current production if they use the same logic as they do with Eifert. Anything beyond that is overpaying unless he stays healthy and has 600+ yards next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 01:03 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: They have to pick up his option in the spring of 2020 and guess what that will cost 11million. Still want to keep him?

As of this moment, no.
But if he finishes the year strong? Maybe.
Now, definition of "finishing strong" is subjective, but mine is getting 200+ yards in the remainder of the season (4 games).
That would put him at 528 yards in half a season, which is production that a really good WR2 would have in 8 games.
To me, WR2-level production is worth the 5th year option, but I'd be ok too if the 5th year option wasn't picked up regardless.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 01:03 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: They have to pick up his option in the spring of 2020 and guess what that will cost 11million. Still want to keep him?

Part of me thinks they'll overpay some current Bengals. I just can't see them having some $80-100 million cap space and going on a spending spree.

They'll probably Tag AJ Green. Pay Eifert. Dennard. Hopkins. Billings.

And we'll have $27 million in space.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 02:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Part of me thinks they'll overpay some current Bengals. I just can't see them having some $80-100 million cap space and going on a spending spree.

They'll probably Tag AJ Green. Pay Eifert. Dennard. Hopkins. Billings.

And we'll have $27 million in space.

I think you're right about those players.

If they were going to let AJ go they would've traded him.

I'd say the rest are pretty solid locks for re-signing.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Whether I'm ok with paying Ross $11 mil in 2021 or not depends greatly on what he does in 2020, what our cap situation is, and what other WR's we have at that time. 

You also have to keep in mind that the 5th year option isn't guaranteed.  They can pick it up this off-season as insurance in case he stays healthy and blows up next year, then cut him and not pay him a cent after the start of the 2021 league year if they don't think he's worth it.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 02:40 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think you're right about those players.

If they were going to let AJ go they would've traded him.

I'd say the rest are pretty solid locks for re-signing.

Green would be $17 million.
Eifert after being healthy for a year will be $5-6 million per.
Billings $5-6 million a year.
IF they keep Vigil $5-6 million a year.
Hopkins $8 million a year.
Dennard $7-8 million a year.

That's some $50 million right there and I haven't did an exhaustive search of who all their free agents are.

I think there's a decent chance Dalton is back even in a backup role IF we draft a QB 1.

Brandon Wilson is an RFA - Could cost $2-3 million for kick returns alone. Maybe some team offers more and we match?
Fej is a free agent too.

So it will appear that we have some $60 million in cap space...but it will be spent to keep those guys. Meanwhile the Dolphins will be adding people left and right.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 02:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: Whether I'm ok with paying Ross $11 mil in 2021 or not depends greatly on what he does in 2020, what our cap situation is, and what other WR's we have at that time. 

You also have to keep in mind that the 5th year option isn't guaranteed.  They can pick it up this off-season as insurance in case he stays healthy and blows up next year, then cut him and not pay him a cent after the start of the 2021 league year if they don't think he's worth it.

If he gets injured(not much of a chance of that happening HA HA) the money is guaranteed for the fifth year.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
With Ross back now who on the Bengals does the other teams
#1 CB cover ....Boyd right ?
Then the opposite CB is lined up over Ross. I take that matchup any day . And if the other #1 CB lines up over Ross then I like
Boyd all.day on the #2 CB.
Oh BTW now the 3rd CB is on Tate and 4th on Erickson.
See the effect Ross has and he doesn't even have to catch
A pass to pull it off either
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 05:30 PM)impactplaya Wrote: With Ross back now who on the Bengals does the other teams
#1 CB cover ....Boyd right ?
Then the opposite CB is lined up over Ross. I take that matchup any day . And if the other #1 CB lines up over Ross then I like
Boyd all.day on the #2 CB.
Oh BTW now the 3rd CB is on Tate and 4th on Erickson.
See the effect Ross has and he doesn't even have to catch
A pass to pull it off either

Super Bowl!
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 04:42 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If he gets injured(not much of a chance of that happening HA HA) the money is guaranteed for the fifth year.

That isn't how NFL Injury Guarantees work.  All NFL contracts have injury guarantees that state that if a team tries to release a player when they cannot physically perform they still have to pay that player.  Otherwise, teams could do shady stuff like cut players with season ending injuries who are in contract years to get out of paying them while losing nothing.
Reply/Quote