Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John ross
First off, not a fan way too injury prone. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.but picking a player at 9 with so many injuries... here is a list of his injuries.
Torn labrum
Torn meniscus in right knee
Torn meniscus in left knee
Torn acl in left knee
Microfracture surgery on left knee
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:21 AM)Jpoore Wrote: First off, not a fan way too injury prone. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.but picking a player at 9 with so many injuries...  here is a list of his injuries.
Torn labrum
Torn acl in left knee

Any idea when these occurred?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:24 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Any idea when these occurred?

2014,2015, with the knee innuries and microfracture surgery. 2016 with the labrum.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:26 AM)Jpoore Wrote: 2014,2015, with the knee innuries and microfracture surgery. 2016 with the labrum.

Damn, that's some serious shelf time for a 1st round pick. Will steer teams away and drop him down the draft boards.

Reply/Quote
I'd take him in a heartbeat. Holy shit speed and quick as a cat. Game changer. Offense changer. Yes, please.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:50 AM)McC Wrote: I'd take him in a heartbeat.  Holy shit speed and quick as a cat.  Game changer.  Offense changer.  Yes, please.

He would have to be on the field first. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:56 AM)Jpoore Wrote: He would have to be on the field first. 

Looking at his stats he played 13, 13, 0, and 14 games in 4 seasons so seems he was on the field.

I think its less of an issue than your making it out to be, my issue would be more from the fact he really only has 1 year of production. Although he clearly has the talent and skill so that may be enough to ease those concerns.
Reply/Quote
If it is true they liked Will Fuller last year, then i guess he'd be on their radar. Much like we would like a LB to cover tight ends the same is true when it comes to a speed receiver opposite Green. Personally...4.22 means a lot. If you watch how they simulcast runners together, he is getting at least a full step behind everyone.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:50 AM)McC Wrote: I'd take him in a heartbeat.  Holy shit speed and quick as a cat.  Game changer.  Offense changer.  Yes, please.

Me too...right now, if Soloman Thomas isn't there at 9, I am hoping to slide a few picks, get an additional 2nd rounder, and then draft Ross.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 06:47 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Looking at his stats he played 13, 13, 0, and 14 games in 4 seasons so seems he was on the field.

I think its less of an issue than your making it out to be, my issue would be more from the fact he really only has 1 year of production. Although he clearly has the talent and skill so that may be enough to ease those concerns.

The Bengals need him for 5 targets a game....a la Henry...take the top off the defense...open up the underneath...create synergy on offense.  
Reply/Quote
Emphasizing all the injuries besides the torn labrum is somewhat exaggerating.
That is because they happened before his 2016 and he was electric in 2016. He's clearly not hindered from those pre-2016 surgeries.

I'm not too worried about his torn labrum either. It wasn't hindering him to the extent he had to get the surgery immediately. He was going to do nearly all drills at the combine prior to his hamstring tightness after running the 40. He then went out a week later and held his pro day, showing nice explosion, cuts, and hands catching the ball.

Now he's about to get the surgery on his torn labrum and should be fine by TC.

I still hope to see him in stripes, although I think it's less likely now with LaFell signed. But knowing the Bengals like BPA in first round (sometimes regardless of starters), I don't think Ross is off the table.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 09:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Emphasizing all the injuries besides the torn labrum is somewhat exaggerating.
That is because they happened before his 2016 and he was electric in 2016. He's clearly not hindered from those pre-2016 surgeries.

I'm not too worried about his torn labrum either. It wasn't hindering him to the extent he had to get the surgery immediately. He was going to do nearly all drills at the combine prior to his hamstring tightness after running the 40. He then went out a week later and held his pro day, showing nice explosion, cuts, and hands catching the ball.

Now he's about to get the surgery on his torn labrum and should be fine by TC.

I still hope to see him in stripes, although I think it's less likely now with LaFell signed. But knowing the Bengals like BPA in first round (sometimes regardless of starters), I don't think Ross is off the table.

the big one is microfracture surgery though. Its usuallly regarded as a ticking time bomb.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 09:33 AM)Jpoore Wrote: the big one is microfracture surgery though. Its usuallly regarded as a ticking time bomb.

There's no guarantee of that. Athletes like Steve Yzerman, Jason Kidd, John Stockton, and Kenyan Martin had microfracture surgery during their careers and were able to return to pre-injury form. Heck, Vontaze Burfict had microfracture surgery two years ago and is fine now.

Amar'e Stoudemire had the surgery in Oct 2015 and tried returning in March 2016. It was discovered that was not enough time for recovery, buy Stoudemire returned for the following season and was also back to form.

You may point to Greg Oden, who had microfracture surgery in 2007 and missed the entire season, but he returned the following season. However, he ended up having a second microfracture surgery and his career was practically over. Here's the entire point of me mentioning this though...the second surgery was on the other knee, not the same one.

The expected recovery time with athletes that have had the surgery in the past decade has been about a year. John Ross had the surgery in 2014. He was clearly recovered enough from it to have a stellar 2016 season.

If John Ross had microfracture surgery this offseason, I could understand the worry of taking a player like Ross as 9. He may not ever recover from such a surgery. But Ross is healed from that and has proven he can play on his surgically repaired knees.

Essentially all you are saying is that you FEAR he will injure himself again and don't want to take that risk. I'm saying that it's irrational to think he will reinjure his knee(s) because he's already proven to be recovered, and there are many examples of professional athletes that have recovered well from such a surgery. Plus, he's such an explosive playmaker that could help this offense that the reward is worth the risk.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:21 AM)Jpoore Wrote: First off, not a fan way too injury prone. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.but picking a player at 9 with so many injuries...  here is a list of his injuries.
Torn labrum
Torn acl in left knee

Dude, you can't really write-off Ross due to injuries when he will be ready to go for camp and champion Jake Butt, who had two torn ACL's and likely won't play at all next year.
Reply/Quote
Torn labrum
Torn acl in left knee

If i had to draft a WR in the first it would probably be this guy, but I also agree doctors need to weight in on his issues.  The fact is this guy isn't just a speed guy, but he has super clean routes and has the best separation in the class.  This guy doesn't just run with corners and safeties he literally blows them out of the water.  I remember on one play he ran a route deep thru the center and blew past the safety with like 6 feet of separation.  Would have been more if he didn't have to stop to catch the ball from his QB.

This is one of those threads tho that is really not even worth posting in.   You didn't provide any pros or cons, but simply said he's a lame duck and killed any positive discussion from there.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Corey Davis, in my opinion, is the MUCH better draft prospect at WR for the Bengals. MUCH.

He is my hope at #9.
Reply/Quote
Torn labrum
Torn acl in left knee

Microfracture didn't affect his explosiveness at all.

We'll see, there's no guarantee that he will get hurt again.  Some of these guys that come out with clean bills of health end up being injured all the time.

Either way, he's a complete game changer with his speed.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 08:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Bengals need him for 5 targets a game....a la Henry...take the top off the defense...open up the underneath...create synergy on offense.  

To get deep, the o line has to sustain blocks long enough for a 5 or 7 step drop. Do we honestly think Ross's talents would be fully utilized with the turnstile the Bengals are trotting out in 2017?
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 08:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Bengals need him for 5 targets a game....a la Henry...take the top off the defense...open up the underneath...create synergy on offense.  

If we are going to use a top 10 pick on the guy, we need more than that.

To me, he's one of the sure fire starters in this draft.  You can't teach speed, and he's been very productive at Washington, he's not just a workout warrior.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 02:03 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Corey Davis, in my opinion, is the MUCH better draft prospect at WR for the Bengals. MUCH.

He is my hope at #9.

Both are good prospects and bring something different to the table.  Davis has the prototypical frame you want, but I want to see a 40 time from him.  Small school guys also tend to have a steeper learning curve, so Ross may be the more pro ready player right now, and obviously has score from anywhere speed.
Reply/Quote