Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah Williams Injury Report
(01-16-2023, 04:06 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: He can put a brace on it and play.

Depends on if there is any other damage done to the knee from the dislocation.
Reply/Quote
The biggest concern is that he tore his medial patellofemoral ligament or tore cartilage. Surgery may be required to fix those depending on the severity. It is not likely to involve the ACL. If nothing is torn then his ability to play will depend on the level of pain and inflammation and how that affects his ability to move. Recovery is usually 3-6 weeks. Jeff Gunter was out 3 weeks with the same injury earlier this season We saw how Jonah played coming back the next week with his earlier dislocation. If he plays he, of course, will be wearing a special knee brace

Being a big and tall athlete already gives him risk factors for this type of injury. He may have other risk factors such as a congenital misaligned patellar track, looser ligaments, or imperfectly aligned legs. These are issues millions have but we aren't pushing our knees as Jonah does.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If there’s no further damage after the MRI,then shoot it up,put a nice Don Joy brace on it,and play.This is the playoffs.
Even though Jonah isn’t having his greatest year,,,I’d still rather have him playing in there at LT than the other options we have.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 03:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Wasn't he driven backwards?

There was contact when the ball was snapped as to normal firing off the LOS, but he recovered from that and then went down.  No one fell into his knee. 
Reply/Quote
That's two in one year. Much like concussions, the more you dislocate a joint, the easier it becomes to dislocation that joint in the future.

Already not playing well and now two knee dislocations. I hope Jonah recovers fully, but they really need to find 2 new Ts.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 04:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's two in one year. Much like concussions, the more you dislocate a joint, the easier it becomes to dislocation that joint in the future.

Already not playing well and now two knee dislocations. I hope Jonah recovers fully, but they really need to find 2 new Ts.

With the young guys on the DL like Ossai, Carter, and Sample all progressing nicely it should allow them to really focus on OL and CB in the draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 04:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's two in one year. Much like concussions, the more you dislocate a joint, the easier it becomes to dislocation that joint in the future.

Yup

With Collins back and Williams knees they're gonna have to draft an OT early and probably pick up a free agent.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 05:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

With Collins back and Williams knees they're gonna have to draft an OT early and probably pick up a free agent.

A FA OT is something we likely cannot afford. But I might be willing to do it if we make deeper cuts elsewhere (Mixon?). I don't know if there is a plug & play OT in the board where we pick. 

Agree that while more pass rush would be nice, the play of Sample, Ossai, and Carter make it less of a priority. It is a fairly deep EDGE class, even with Verse staying. Gunter could be upgraded. Or Tupou/Tufele on the inside. But it isn't a NEED, really. There are some nice DE/DT guys (Van Ness, Tuli T., etc). Ika could be a nice run stuffer to pair with or spell Reader. 

How Adeniji & Carman play will go a long way to determining how urgent the need is next year. Jonah & Collins will be on the roster and make $20 mil combined. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 05:28 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: A FA OT is something we likely cannot afford. But I might be willing to do it if we make deeper cuts elsewhere (Mixon?). I don't know if there is a plug & play OT in the board where we pick. 

Agree that while more pass rush would be nice, the play of Sample, Ossai, and Carter make it less of a priority. It is a fairly deep EDGE class, even with Verse staying. Gunter could be upgraded. Or Tupou/Tufele on the inside. But it isn't a NEED, really. There are some nice DE/DT guys (Van Ness, Tuli T., etc). Ika could be a nice run stuffer to pair with or spell Reader. 

How Adeniji & Carman play will go a long way to determining how urgent the need is next year. Jonah & Collins will be on the roster and make $20 mil combined. 

I actually think you can start Adeniji at RT next season
Reply/Quote
I dislocated my knee cap twice in college (it was on the side of my knee). It was excruciating but I was able to put back in place both times. After exams the only real damage I had was torn cartilage and stretched ligaments (minor). The real issue was the swelling and stiffness that had me on crutches for a week. After that, all was good. The doctor said the only future problem would be easier dislocations and possible declining lubrication in my later years. Hopefully, William just had a simple dislocation. That being said, I don't think he has any chance of playing this weekend.
Reply/Quote
Zac said that both Jonah and Alex Cappa are week to week. He said Alex was curling a towel with his toes and that he thought that was progress but Alex was also in the locker room last night still in the boot and using the knee scooter.

However, he did not immediately rule out either for this week....so cross your fingers, say a prayer, do an exorcism...whatever you can do to help get those 2 back on the field sooner rather than later

Reply/Quote
Ben Baby has a rather extensive report on Williams and Cappa on espn if anyone's interested:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35461253/bengals-lt-jonah-williams-dislocated-kneecap-week-week

Among statements (some mentioned by Pally above):

Taylor didn't indicate if Williams will be available for this weekend's divisional playoff game against the Buffalo Bills. "Hard to tell," Taylor said.

"I thought he [Carman] did a nice job, especially being thrust in there," Taylor said. "He's gotta practice both sides during the week. He's practiced a lot of guard this year as well. I thought given the opportunity that he had, against a tough defensive line, I thought he handled it really well."

Late Sunday night after Cincinnati's playoff win, Cappa was spotted wearing a protective boot on his left ankle and using a push scooter to maneuver around the locker room. Taylor also said Cappa's status for the playoff game against the Bills was week-to-week but said he saw some progress.

"I saw him curling a towel in there with his toes and he looked good," Taylor said. "It seemed like that was progress when I walked in. That was exciting for the room."

Taylor said the sacks incurred against Baltimore were for various reasons and not indicative of the offensive line's overall performance.

"They were all a little bit different," Taylor said. "But we feel good about it. The line certainly gave us plenty enough to win that game.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:23 PM)pally Wrote: Zac said that both Jonah and Alex Cappa are week to week. He said Alex was curling a towel with his toes and that he thought that was progress but Alex was also in the locker room last night still in the boot and using the knee scooter.

However, he did not immediately rule out either for this week....so cross your fingers, say a prayer, do an exorcism...whatever you can do to help get those 2 back on the field sooner rather than later

I noticed as Jonah was walking down the hallway at the game going into the locker room,he had a knee brace on,and he wasn’t limping at all.He was walking fine.

He had his left arm on the trainers shoulder,but he was leaning on him,and he didn’t appear to be in any pain.Assuming the MRI results come back positive,I think he’ll play Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 05:28 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: A FA OT is something we likely cannot afford. But I might be willing to do it if we make deeper cuts elsewhere (Mixon?). I don't know if there is a plug & play OT in the board where we pick. 

Good take.  It's more likely that we work hard at extending a bunch of 2024 FAs so I don't know that they'll spend money on outside FAs this year.  I know fans will scream about the window, but keeping the 2024 guys long term is extending the window. 

That will trickle down to the old comp pick plan IMO.  Get a 3rd for Bates, maybe a 5th for Apple.  That leaves you looking at cut vets at OT.  The FA class has a few good ones but limited depth.  So it actually makes sense to let the right vet that wants to bring chase come to you. Don't get me wrong, they'll junk that plan if the right UFA wants to be here.  

Ideally, you get a OT in the top 3 rounds and get a cut vet, but it may be one or the other especially in light of Adeniji & Carman.  I want one of these guys to breakthrough and hope one does.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 09:29 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I noticed as Jonah was walking down the hallway at the game going into the locker room,he had a knee brace on,and he wasn’t limping at all.He was walking fine.

He had his left arm on the trainers shoulder,but he was leaning on him,and he didn’t appear to be in any pain.Assuming the MRI results come back positive,I think he’ll play Sunday.

Jonah wears a brace on his right leg since that patellar dislocation

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 05:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I actually think you can start Adeniji at RT next season

Dude isn't playing bad, just sayin'....
Reply/Quote
Jonah has sucked something fierce this year. This injury is not going to help matters. Someone on here mentioned before they picked up his option but the dude needs to be replaced. He has short arms and gets overpowered so freaking easy.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 11:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dude isn't playing bad, just sayin'....

wouldnt hate it at all, plus he's cheap
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 11:32 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Jonah has sucked something fierce this year. This injury is not going to help matters. Someone on here mentioned before they picked up his option but the dude needs to be replaced. He has short arms and gets overpowered so freaking easy.

draft a LT, let Jonah compete with Volson for the LG spot in 24. jonah would prob win. Although I know people here love them some volson. And then let Jonah walk after 2024
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 11:53 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: draft a LT, let Jonah compete with Volson for the LG spot in 24. jonah would prob win. Although I know people here love them some volson. And then let Jonah walk after 2024

Where the Bengals are drafting rhe best tackle value might be a Right Tackle Darnell Wright. Anton Harrison might also be an option at left tackle but at least his year one is probably going to be ugly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote