Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah Williams Injury Report
Is Jonah the long term answer at left tackle?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:51 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Is Jonah the long term answer at left tackle?

No but right now he is still probably our best option

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Probably not - he’s here next year and will likely be looking for a big payday after that. I like him and think he’s solid (but not elite at his position). If the bengals can land an OT prospect in round 2 or 3 this year, I think that would be great (insurance in case of injury next season at OT and someone on a rookie contract to groom to take over LT or RT eventually).

And like some comments shared on here, I think Hakeem has been solid at RT (and he’s still on his rookie deal next year I believe).
Reply/Quote
Is it a bad idea to rotate offensive linemen? Like, if Cappa and JWilliams are not 100% but can play, would giving them a limited number of snaps/drives work or is that just going to disrupt the consistency of the line?

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 05:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: With the young guys on the DL like Ossai, Carter, and Sample all progressing nicely it should allow them to really focus on OL and CB in the draft.

Agreed, and when you factor in Burrow and Chase's upcoming contract extensions, the team needs to be prepared to rotate in younger, more cost-efficient talent at several positions.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Other than Orlando Brown Jr at LT and Mike McGlinchey at RT, the 2023 OT FA group isn't particularly tempting. Maybe RT Kaleb McGary if you believe in the contract year breakout? Still pretty shallow.

The solution to the T problems is probably going to have to come from the draft.

- - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: So I was looking at the 5th year option rules. It seems like the 5th year option during the 4th year is only guaranteed for injury. It only becomes fully guaranteed if Jonah Williams is on the roster on the 1st day of the new league year which I believe is March 15th. So they need him to be healthy (pass a phyisical?) and to be cut before March 15th if they don't want to be on the hook to pay Jonah $12.6m in 2023. If he rushes back and is both ineffective AND makes it worse, then not only would it hurt us on the field, but it would also lock him into being on the roster in 2023.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:51 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Is Jonah the long term answer at left tackle?

Well it depends on next year.. his health has been a concern but what tackles do not get hurt, also the idea that we will have all Elite lineman is not realistic.. I would say you draft a tackle high in draft this year, see how he progresses next year plus does Williams stay healthy and perform well enough, then make a decision on a 2nd contract. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:02 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well it depends on next year.. his health has been a concern but what tackles do not get hurt, also the idea that we will have all Elite lineman is not realistic.. I would say you draft a tackle high in draft this year, see how he progresses next year plus does Williams stay healthy and perform well enough, then make a decision on a 2nd contract. 

The sucky part is that we don’t draft high and won’t as long as Joe burrow is our QB.

We’ll have to hit on a high mid pick to replace our LT or RT.

Our best option would be players we already drafted at those spots in the draft stepping up.

Who’s to say who will be available in the draft (where we pick) and how quickly they can contribute.

Definitely an argument for tackle but you can’t pick the position just to pick the position—like we did with our recent yearly string of tackle picks that haven’t panned out on the oline.

BPA is the way to do it. We could have an elite secondary with all the failed oline picks.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:18 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: The sucky part is that we don’t draft high and won’t as long as Joe burrow is our QB.

We’ll have to hit on a high mid pick to replace our LT or RT.

Our best option would be players we already drafted at those spots in the draft stepping up.

Who’s to say who will be available in the draft (where we pick) and how quickly they can contribute.

Definitely an argument for tackle but you can’t pick the position just to pick the position—like we did with our recent yearly string of tackle picks that haven’t panned out on the oline.

BPA is the way to do it. We could have an elite secondary with all the failed oline picks.

Eh, with how well Pollack is getting at picking players to fit his scheme (like Lou did), I'd say I feel confident he can get a good OL prospect and build them up more.

Someone on Twitter made the suggestion to get Becton from NYJ who may need a change of scenery after two years of injury and draft a RT to replace LC. 

I personally would like a combo of Wright (Tenn) in rd 1 as a LC replacement and Bergeron in 3 as a Jonah replacement in waiting. He performed well against Murphy (a top 5-10 prospect) this season.

Edit: before anyone mentions JC, we all know that was a forced pick by MB from a recommendation of Piano Man. Even Pollacks attitude towards JC this season speaks volumes of that being the case.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:26 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Eh, with how well Pollack is getting at picking players to fit his scheme (like Lou did), I'd say I feel confident he can get a good OL prospect and build them up more.

did you miss the part where they had to switch their scheme from zone to power because the personnel werent any good at it?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 04:52 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: other options we have.

Mellow

It's a trap!

[Image: andre-smith_crop_north.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Williams gave at 10 sacks last year when included into playoffs and already over 12 and is one of the worst left tackles in league.  Joey franchise deserves better
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Mellow

It's a trap!

What was he thinking....
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: What was he thinking....

He could shave 0.00009 seconds off his time without a shirt? 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
If these guys are in shape, they'd be worth taking a look at.  

Bryan Bulaga who is a former 1st-Round draft pick of the Green Bay Packers is available.  
Nate Solder who is a former 1st-Round draft pick of New England is available
Tyrell Crosby former Detroit Lion RT is out there and then we could  move Adeniji to LT.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:38 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: did you miss the part where they had to switch their scheme from zone to power because the personnel werent any good at it?

And from his comments after FA or the draft about wanting glass eaters, it sounded like he always wanted a power scheme and picked players for it. Literally none of our players except MAYBE Jonah fit an athletic mindset and instead were, for lack of a better term, meatheads.

Zone was always Zacs baby from his days at LAR.
Reply/Quote
[Image: n8F3xxp.jpg]

I knew it was only a matter of time.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:35 AM)Synric Wrote: Where the Bengals are drafting rhe best tackle value might be a Right Tackle Darnell Wright. Anton Harrison might also be an option at left tackle but at least his year one is probably going to be ugly.

I am starting to lean into hoping that Anton Harrison or Broderick Jones are there when the Bengals pick. Neither are a sure fire plug and play LT prospect but both seem to have tons of potential and may very well be BPA at that point too
Reply/Quote
Big Grin 
(01-17-2023, 02:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Mellow

It's a trap!

Now that’s one cool dude.We need this guy.Call him up.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:13 PM)Tomkat Wrote: [Image: n8F3xxp.jpg]

I knew it was only a matter of time.

I've only ever blocked 2 people.  Frank and Fred.
Reply/Quote