Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah Williams from Booger McFarland
Exactly. He isn't moving in the pocket and is holding on to the ball too long.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I going to think outside the box. Why don't we just get a guard that can play guard

I would've been fine with that, but we didn't do that, either. Unless you're suggesting there's an upgrade out there now?

Of course, there were no guards worthy of the 5 pick, but there was a tackle there.

That said, it wasn't "Sewell or bust" with me. We could've landed a good guard in FA and that would've helped immensely. If we complained about being lackadaisical in FA, would that make you guys feel better?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Why hasn't Frank Pollack figured this out by now? I mean this offseason people thought he could make a great OL regardless of the talent we currently have and no need for aggressive FA pickups at guard and a draft pick that actually is NFL ready week 1?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There is no guarantee Williams can play guard.

I can guarantee that Booger is a horrible analyst. Basically stopped watching MNF when he was on it..
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I going to think outside the box. Why don't we just get a guard that can play guard
I don't understand...

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 03:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I would've been fine with that, but we didn't do that, either. Unless you're suggesting there's an upgrade out there now?

Of course, there were no guards worthy of the 5 pick, but there was a tackle there.

That said, it wasn't "Sewell or bust" with me. We could've landed a good guard in FA and that would've helped immensely. If we complained about being lackadaisical in FA, would that make you guys feel better?

With the focus on IOL and guard play there was also the option to move out of the 5th pick, get more picks and then take a guy like Slater who "was as good as advertised in NFL debut" or Vera-Tucker. 

Yes Slater is playing LT for the Chargers but was open to playing guard and certainly has the size for it. 

None of this matters now. The time to make the move has come and gone. FA should have addressed OL or WR so the 1st pick would have been able to fill the other hole. Now, we get the usual Bengal mantra of "wait till next year".

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But if we had a better guard, the TE's and RB's would still be missing blocks, right? They just want to squeal to be squealing..... there's only one way to make them see......

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...ge.333.jpg]

So.... just going to leave this here

The offensive line was largely a disaster across the board. The overall grades for the starters:

Jonah Williams: 45.2
Quinton Spain: 48.5
Trey Hopkins: 64.8
Xavier Sua-Filo:  41.7
Riley Reiff: 58.4

That isn't all the fault of TE's and RB's. The "franchise" LT barely beats out XSF who everyone agrees was the worst player on the field at Chicago.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/20/bengals-pro-football-focus-grades-offensive-line-week-2/

Quinton Spain and center Trey Hopkins were the only two linemen who didn’t allow a sack. In fact, Spain didn't allow anyone to get to Burrow, giving him a pass-blocking efficiency of 100.0.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-2-game-recap-chicago-bears-20-cincinnati-bengals-17

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 03:42 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So.... just going to leave this here

The offensive line was largely a disaster across the board. The overall grades for the starters:

Jonah Williams: 45.2
Quinton Spain: 48.5
Trey Hopkins: 64.8
Xavier Sua-Filo:  41.7
Riley Reiff: 58.4

That isn't all the fault of TE's and RB's. The "franchise" LT barely beats out XSF who everyone agrees was the worst player on the field at Chicago.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/20/bengals-pro-football-focus-grades-offensive-line-week-2/

Quinton Spain and center Trey Hopkins were the only two linemen who didn’t allow a sack. In fact, Spain didn't allow anyone to get to Burrow, giving him a pass-blocking efficiency of 100.0.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-2-game-recap-chicago-bears-20-cincinnati-bengals-17

Yikes. These are the grades for the Chicago game right? Not the whole season? Either way it's bad, but here's to hoping that this group can brush off 1 bad game and play closer to "average" the rest of the way.

I can't say I'm too hopeful, but I doubt these guys all finish the season graded in the 40s and 50s.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 03:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yikes. These are the grades for the Chicago game right? Not the whole season? Either way it's bad, but here's to hoping that this group can brush off 1 bad game and play closer to "average" the rest of the way.

I can't say I'm too hopeful, but I doubt these guys all finish the season graded in the 40s and 50s.

Yes, that is just the Chicago game.

And I'm with you, I can't imagine they all finish the season that poorly, but to say that it is just an IOL problem or to blame the TE's and RBs is false at this time. The OL as a unit was not good in Chicago, and the Steelers will be looking to exploit that.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: those numbers would go down if he got rid of the ball faster as well

even if that ment having to throw it away.

25 combined hits or sacks...   On around 66 drop backs

Zach says he doesnt know what counts as a hit...  And thinks some of them burrow doesnt even know hes been touched lol

Yes, there are def some times where he should throw the ball away.   Our old qb used to drive me nuts at times for throwing it away too soon (and was relatively good at avoiding injury), but I've certainly seen some instances where I actually want Joe to throw it away for a chance to regroup for the next down.    
Reply/Quote

They're too expensive.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But if we had a better guard, the TE's and RB's would still be missing blocks, right? They just want to squeal to be squealing..... there's only one way to make them see......

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...ge.333.jpg]

Imagine if our rb's and te's could just run and catch (especially our rb's who seem to be getting slammed around more than ever for the poor pass pro), instead of being used a scapegoats for poor pass protection because our line still can't block....

Reply/Quote
Booger McFarland sounds like the name of a cartoon baby.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 04:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: Imagine if our rb's and te's could just run and catch (especially our rb's who seem to be getting slammed around more than ever for the poor pass pro), instead of being used a scapegoats for poor pass protection because our line still can't block....

Pass blocking is a main component of their position though. The only reason why Sample was drafted was because of his blocking ability.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 04:08 PM)J24 Wrote: Pass blocking is a main component of their position though. The only reason why Sample was drafted was because of his blocking ability.

That's the player not the position. 

I wouldn't consider it the MAIN component of either..... 

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 04:08 PM)J24 Wrote: Pass blocking is a main component of their position though. The only reason why Sample was drafted was because of his blocking ability.

I guess he didn't see Mixon blow pass pro(his job on the play)which lead directly to an interception against the Bears. Rolleyes
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 03:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: Why hasn't Frank Pollack figured this out by now? I mean this offseason people thought he could make a great OL regardless of the talent we currently have and no need for aggressive FA pickups at guard and a draft pick that actually is NFL ready week 1?

Bueller? Bueller?   Hilarious

Sorry i had to cause I'm there with GF.  I think we had some long threads with most agreeing that our OL will be average at the very least this year with the addition of Pollack.  

Personally, I think a lot of it is guys meshing and getting used to playing with each other.  I also think Pollacks scheme is different than Turners.  So it'll take time to adapt to playing a new scheme than these guys are used to. 

I think by game 10 they'll be playing like a squad that should be ranked around #20 in the league instead of #32.  

Now the question we need to be asking is why hasnt Pollack taught blocking to Perine, Mixon and supposedly a blocking tight end in Sample?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 03:42 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That isn't all the fault of TE's and RB's.

You do not understand.  No one was faulting the TE's and RBs for run blocking.

Spain got a 100 grade on pass blocking.  How about the rest of the line?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 04:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I guess he didn't see Mixon blow pass pro(his job on the play)which lead directly to an interception against the Bears. Rolleyes

I think it's more to it then this. I think there are reasons certain people are blaming everyone but the Oline...... 

But yea, let's cut Mixon and Sample because Burrow is set to be done for the year any moment now. I never heard them calling to replace Mixon and Sample to improve our pass pro all offseason......

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 04:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You do not understand.  No one was faulting the TE's and RBs for run blocking.
Spain got a 100 grade on pass blocking.  How about the rest of the line?

I do understand, the line is average/bad as was predicted and on top of it the pass protection from RBs is down since Gio left, which isn't a surprise. I don't subscribe to PFF so I can't see those numbers, but the statement that Quinton Spain and center Trey Hopkins were the only two linemen who didn’t allow a sack would lead you to believe that it is less then 100. That means XSF, Reiff and Williams by PFF ratings are guilty of allowing a sack, and I know I saw pressure allowed by Reiff and Williams that didn't result in a sack. So, I'm not sure how they grade that out.

Reply/Quote