Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jonah Williams knee
(02-17-2023, 07:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If he hadn't missed 4 games, Hurst would've been over 60 catches. Not bad on a team that has Chase, Higgins and Boyd. The issue with Hayden is that he is what he is at this point. He's decent and brings a lot of energy, but he's also limited in what he offers you. 

I wasn't knocking Hurst, he's an entertaining player to watch.  I'd love to see the Bengals feature the TE more in their offense, it would certainly give defensive coordinators more to account for.  As for drafting a TE that is primarily a receiving threat with a high pick?  Not really for that.  If an all around monster like Darnell Washington was sitting there at #28?  SunsetBengal would be jumping through the ceiling with excitement on draft night.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wasn't knocking Hurst, he's an entertaining player to watch.  I'd love to see the Bengals feature the TE more in their offense, it would certainly give defensive coordinators more to account for.  As for drafting a TE that is primarily a receiving threat with a high pick?  Not really for that.  If an all around monster like Darnell Washington was sitting there at #28?  SunsetBengal would be jumping through the ceiling with excitement on draft night.

I'm really like Washington as well. He's like having an extra linemen on the field who can also release and become a receiver. He's a very intriguing player because I think he'll only get better as a pass catcher and his blocking is already devastating. 

It's going to be interesting to see how they approach free agency and how much they can free up the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm really like Washington as well. He's like having an extra linemen on the field who can also release and become a receiver. He's a very intriguing player because I think he'll only get better as a pass catcher and his blocking is already devastating. 

It's going to be interesting to see how they approach free agency and how much they can free up the draft. 

On that same note, I like Luke Schoonmaker from Michigan, for those same reasons I like Washington.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, we would have to draft a Corner early or add another in FA if Eli is gone. What? You think he will be too spendy Holic?

With Hurst I think that is exactly what he will get, and he will take it. Dude loves it here, brought him back from bad depression 
just being here and resurrected not only his career but his life.

Unless he asks for a big bump I'd sign him.  He did a good enough job to suit me - despite his double jointed jaw.  
Reply/Quote
Liking both Washington and Schoonmaker myself if we do draft a TE because Hurst leaves for bigger money.

I just don't see it, we will pay Hurst enough and go OT early and Darnell Wright out of Tennessee is my guy right now.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 08:06 PM)3wt Wrote: Unless he asks for a big bump I'd sign him.  He did a good enough job to suit me - despite his double jointed jaw.  

Lol, yeah, Apple is pretty damn good as a CB4. Cannot get much better. On the field, he is a good player.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 01:46 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I have not heard a word about Collins surgery or recovery.

Collins had his surgery before the Championship games.  It is a bit early to have any real idea as to how his recovery is going

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 08:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Liking both Washington and Schoonmaker myself if we do draft a TE because Hurst leaves for bigger money.

I just don't see it, we will pay Hurst enough and go OT early and Darnell Wright out of Tennessee is my guy right now.

Here's the thing, Washington is projected as a 1st round pick, but Schoonmaker should be available in the 3rd or 4th round. (according to the mock simulators, that is)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 08:17 PM)pally Wrote: Collins had his surgery before the Championship games.  It is a bit early to have any real idea as to how his recovery is going

I did a search all I could find was his knee popped out of place and went right back in.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think they add a CB in free agency...one that comes without Eli's mouth or social media antics. 

With Hurst, I agree he might take less to stay here, but even if that happens they need to draft a TE capable of contributing this year. Hurst is OK, but they have to find a way to get a little more dynamic at TE, even if he is back. 

Agree that the Bengals need to draft a TE even if they retain Hurst. In fact that exactly what I hope happens.

But it's hard to guess exactly what direction the Bengals will go until after we see who they sign in FA. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 08:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's the thing, Washington is projected as a 1st round pick, but Schoonmaker should be available in the 3rd or 4th round. (according to the mock simulators, that is)

Yeah, hoping for Schoonmaker in the mid rounds if we go TE. Want an OT early like Wright, but I also really like LaPorta in the 2nd if 
for some reason he falls, this guy is very good and from Tight End U Iowa.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 08:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: On that same note, I like Luke Schoonmaker from Michigan, for those same reasons I like Washington.

There are just so many of them this year.  As I said, I'm a fan of Hurst, but it's not lining up for him to get paid in Cincinnati.  I wouldn't be pissed if they drafted two of them.

Sounds batshit crazy, but I'll point out one wrinkle.  

Remember when the Pats had a historically good offense the year Brady was finally unleashed?  He had Moss and Welker and they looked like the best team of all time until the Super Bowl.  

What did they do after that?  They drafted Gronk and Hernandez in 2010 and got even scarier.   
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 08:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lol, yeah, Apple is pretty damn good as a CB4. Cannot get much better. On the field, he is a good player.

CB4 was an underrated movie.  LOL.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think they add a CB in free agency...one that comes without Eli's mouth or social media antics. 

With Hurst, I agree he might take less to stay here, but even if that happens they need to draft a TE capable of contributing this year. Hurst is OK, but they have to find a way to get a little more dynamic at TE, even if he is back. 

This is assuming they can get a CB that comes remotely close to Apple's production over cost.

Apple has done more for this team in the last 2 years, above expectations and below cost, than any player on the roster.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 05:58 PM)Housh Wrote: Good

I don’t see a world in which he’s not our starter next year. Now we could change the whole game and cut him and Mixon and some other guys to sign Bates but i don’t see that

Not sure how cutting Jonah helps us with signing any free agent?

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 10:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Not sure how cutting Jonah helps us with signing any free agent?

It doesn't, been wondering if cutting La'el might though....

He had an injured back most of the year, got healthy, played great in run blocking and than had an ACL tear. Who knows if he will be back.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 10:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This is assuming they can get a CB that comes remotely close to Apple's production over cost.

Apple has done more for this team in the last 2 years, above expectations and below cost, than any player on the roster.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

I've credited Eli many times for his play over the past 2 years...but I also have a feeling they're ready to move on from him. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 10:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've credited Eli many times for his play over the past 2 years...but I also have a feeling they're ready to move on from him. 

We all saw how Quinton Spain talked and walked and never came back. 

This makes sense with this team no matter the production honestly. CTB also looks like a future stud which helps as well as Awuzie 
coming back and hopefully being 100% come the opener. Lou is very good with Secondary players.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 10:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We all saw how Quinton Spain talked and walked and never came back. 

This makes sense with this team no matter the production honestly. CTB also looks like a future stud which helps as well as Awuzie 
coming back and hopefully being 100% come the opener. Lou is very good with Secondary players.

Eli didnt insinuate anything on twitter like Spain did when it came to missed assignments

thats a big difference
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 10:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've credited Eli many times for his play over the past 2 years...but I also have a feeling they're ready to move on from him. 

I wish the meathead would get off twitter and avoid the media.

Here is my point though;

Imagine our team signs a back up CB to play CB4 for only $1M.  And that season this CB4 is forced to play CB2 all season, and does it well enough that he starts every game and helps the team to the Super Bowl.

The next season, the CB4 gets $3M and is projected to be CB2 until the hot rookie can take over. So this guy is a CB4 in waiting.  But the rookie gets hurt, so he plays CB2, then the CB1 goes down for the season, and our guy is now forced to play CB1, which he does for an unprecedented 10 straight wins all the way to the AFC title game.

We payed this guy $4M to play 2,343 snaps at the 2nd most difficult position and that resulted in a record of 22 & 11, 5 playoff wins, 2 division championships, 1 AFC championship, 1 AFC runner-up, and a Super Bowl appearance.  If his name wasn't Apple (and all that comes with it) we would absolutely love the guy.

$4M for all of that, maybe it won't be too difficult to find a guy to match that production at that low of a cost... but I'm skeptical we can. 

I don't like his mouth, but I like his price tag and he's been solid.

Reply/Quote