Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jonah Williams knee
(02-18-2023, 05:39 PM)Synric Wrote: I'd like to see them add speed underneath to take advantage of all the matchups against linebackers they saw in cover 2 this season. Tight End and/or Running Back. Outside of Chase the offense really doesn't have much speed. 

I'd love to see them add more speed and i'd love to see them attack the zones with more shallow crossers to create some breathing room, but first, i'd want them to really, really invest in the Oline. I just don't like the idea of a skill guy in the first, or even the first 2 rounds this year. 

Unless they were able to add a T and G in FA, but i have a hard time seeing that happen. 

I wouldn't really be too upset if they went skill in 2...i'm just kind of stuck on how utterly important it is to look at protection first and everything else second. 

Speaking of attacking zones...i wish i had time to go back and watch all the games to see the disparity on crossing vs vertical routes. Though i'm sure my head would try and explode if i saw the actual breakdown. They finally started doing more checkdowns but that becomes real predictable after a while and their screen game is horrific. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
improve the run game? Nooo.

shiny new weapons? Yes please

People, it's about the trenches. Burrow has worked with the 24th and 29th ranked rushing attacks in terms of ypc

that has been the true achillies heel of this offense. Not a lack of speed. 

It's effectively running the ball when the time calls for it.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 05:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd love to see them add more speed and i'd love to see them attack the zones with more shallow crossers to create some breathing room, but first, i'd want them to really, really invest in the Oline. I just don't like the idea of a skill guy in the first, or even the first 2 rounds this year. 

Unless they were able to add a T and G in FA, but i have a hard time seeing that happen. 

Can't lock their selves into one position group though... that's how a team ends up over drafting guys like Billy Price. Gotta stay true to the board. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 06:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Can't lock their selves into one position group though... that's how a team ends up over drafting guys like Billy Price. Gotta stay true to the board. 

In most cases, i would agree. I have a hard time believing that there won't be someone there that's an instant upgrade to the line at 28. Like i said in another post, you can have all the weapons in the world but if your line can't create some kind of crease and they can't protect the QB, it doesn't matter. 

I've always been on board with BPA, like in '21, as much as i liked Sewell and what he had to offer, i wanted Chase 100%. The last 2 years have shown that the major downfall with this team was passpro. Being that they need to help the run game as well, to me, Oline is priority #1 above all others. JMO. 

I'm not locked into a T though. T or G is fine with me. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 05:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd love to see them add more speed and i'd love to see them attack the zones with more shallow crossers to create some breathing room, but first, i'd want them to really, really invest in the Oline. I just don't like the idea of a skill guy in the first, or even the first 2 rounds this year. 

I wouldn't really be too upset if they went skill in 2...i'm just kind of stuck on how utterly important it is to look at protection first and everything else second. 

Speaking of attacking zones...i wish i had time to go back and watch all the games to see the disparity on crossing vs vertical routes. Though i'm sure my head would try and explode if i saw the actual breakdown. They finally started doing more checkdowns but that becomes real predictable after a while and their screen game is horrific. 

A free agent that is affordable is Nate Davis. He ranks 5 or 6 spots higher than Cappa on PFF and is only 26.  He is projected at 7.5M (cutting Mixon more than pays his for Davis his first 2 years...just sayin).

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 06:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: In most cases, i would agree. I have a hard time believing that there won't be someone there that's an instant upgrade to the line at 28. Like i said in another post, you can have all the weapons in the world but if your line can't create some kind of crease and they can't protect the QB, it doesn't matter. 

I've always been on board with BPA, like in '21, as much as i liked Sewell and what he had to offer, i wanted Chase 100%. The last 2 years have shown that the major downfall with this team was passpro. Being that they need to help the run game as well, to me, Oline is priority #1 above all others. JMO. 

I'm not locked into a T though. T or G is fine with me. 

(02-18-2023, 08:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: A free agent that is affordable is Nate Davis. He ranks 5 or 6 spots higher than Cappa on PFF and is only 26.  He is projected at 7.5M (cutting Mixon more than pays his for Davis his first 2 years...just sayin).

If we could pick up Davis and draft a OT at 28 I'd feel much, much better about the Oline. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 08:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: A free agent that is affordable is Nate Davis. He ranks 5 or 6 spots higher than Cappa on PFF and is only 26.  He is projected at 7.5M (cutting Mixon more than pays his for Davis his first 2 years...just sayin).

He looks pretty comparable to Cappa for his career. Looks like he imporoved on his passpro this year, while missing a little time. He would be a good get in FA for 7-8M. 

Sign me up. 

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 09:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If we could pick up Davis and draft a OT at 28 I'd feel much, much better about the Oline. 

(02-18-2023, 09:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He looks pretty comparable to Cappa for his career. Looks like he imporoved on his passpro this year, while missing a little time. He would be a good get in FA for 7-8M. 

Sign me up. 

My thinking is to follow the Chiefs blueprint and have 3 solid guys in the middle, keeps pass rush to the edges and remove short yardage issues.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 09:28 PM)casear2727 Wrote: My thinking is to follow the Chiefs blueprint and have 3 solid guys in the middle, keeps pass rush to the edges and remove short yardage issues.

My only question is, will he have any problem moving to the left side?

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 09:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: My only question is, will he have any problem moving to the left side?

Guard would seem to be much easier than tackle.  At tackle you train your body to turn your hips specifically one way with the same plant foot on passing plays.

Guards take a step back, they have defenders on either side so... would seem easier...?

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 11:15 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I wish the meathead would get off twitter and avoid the media.

Here is my point though;

Imagine our team signs a back up CB to play CB4 for only $1M.  And that season this CB4 is forced to play CB2 all season, and does it well enough that he starts every game and helps the team to the Super Bowl.

The next season, the CB4 gets $3M and is projected to be CB2 until the hot rookie can take over. So this guy is a CB4 in waiting.  But the rookie gets hurt, so he plays CB2, then the CB1 goes down for the season, and our guy is now forced to play CB1, which he does for an unprecedented 10 straight wins all the way to the AFC title game.

We payed this guy $4M to play 2,343 snaps at the 2nd most difficult position and that resulted in a record of 22 & 11, 5 playoff wins, 2 division championships, 1 AFC championship, 1 AFC runner-up, and a Super Bowl appearance.  If his name wasn't Apple (and all that comes with it) we would absolutely love the guy.

$4M for all of that, maybe it won't be too difficult to find a guy to match that production at that low of a cost... but I'm skeptical we can. 

I don't like his mouth, but I like his price tag and he's been solid.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that...but I also don't think Eli will be the only reasonably priced option to CB4 either. I think if the Bengals can find another corner they like in free agency, they will go that route and move on from Eli. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 10:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not disagreeing with any of that...but I also don't think Eli will be the only reasonably priced option to CB4 either. I think if the Bengals can find another corner they like in free agency, they will go that route and move on from Eli. 

Absolutely, my only beef is can we get one that provides his production at his cost.  Eli is a former Top 10 pick, so traits have always been there.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 10:06 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Guard would seem to be much easier than tackle.  At tackle you train your body to turn your hips specifically one way with the same plant foot on passing plays.

Guards take a step back, they have defenders on either side so... would seem easier...?

Physically, i don't think it would be an issue. I mean, is he going to be willing to go somewhere that they're going to want him to swap sides. 

I guess for the money...maybe he wouldn't even care? Especially with the chance to go to the SB. 

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 12:05 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Physically, i don't think it would be an issue. I mean, is he going to be willing to go somewhere that they're going to want him to swap sides. 

I guess for the money...maybe he wouldn't even care? Especially with the chance to go to the SB. 

I think guards swap sides way more often, and if they can snap to center as well.  We know Karras has played all 3.

Reply/Quote
I love talking about who we should draft, but gotta get thru FA first. Then see what we need to BPA/Target in draft.
TE early if we can't get Hurst extended, otherwise, we can take someone like Parham later and let him develop.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If he hadn't missed 4 games, Hurst would've been over 60 catches. Not bad on a team that has Chase, Higgins and Boyd. The issue with Hayden is that he is what he is at this point. He's decent and brings a lot of energy, but he's also limited in what he offers you. 

I think hurst is pretty dynamic. We just rarely feature the TE more than a check down 4th option.

In my opinion, almost anyone you put on this team will be a 40-60 catch / 400-600 yards and 5 TD kind of guy at the right end position. Unless we have a Travis kelce. No reason to over pay.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 10:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not disagreeing with any of that...but I also don't think Eli will be the only reasonably priced option to CB4 either. I think if the Bengals can find another corner they like in free agency, they will go that route and move on from Eli. 

I feel like if we try to replace Eli’s production with someone else, it might come at 2-3x the cost. I like Eli on this team. I think it kind of works.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 03:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Twice last year though....once at NYJ, and then again against Baltimore.

The knee popping out was Collins. Not Williams I know about his knee issues.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 11:43 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: The knee popping out was Collins. Not Williams I know about his knee issues.

Collins initially believed his knee only popped out and went back in. He passed the initial ACL test, They had an MRI for clarity and discovered he had ruptured both his ACL and MCL. It was all part of the same injury, though. 
Reply/Quote
With both starting tackles coming off significant injuries the need for adding more tackles is pretty obvious.
Reply/Quote