Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jonah Williams out for the season
(06-27-2019, 04:32 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm a big fan of Lap and don't care what other media people think of him.  His analysis is so often really accurate.  He's a homer to be sure, something I actually enjoy about him.  His exuberance can be a bit on the intrusive side at times but I love the flavor.

But as for Gresh, I think you have a bit of a point.   The guy was a violent blocker and physically very intimidating.  And when he came into the league he had really good hands.  They said he was a slow study, which I believe.  But it makes me wonder what the team culture was for guys like him (and Ross?) - and how much of it was the Head Coach, the coaching staff as a whole and maybe other players?

I believe he made the pro bowl in Arizona.   He was strong as a bull and had long arms.   I remember thinking that Lap might want to make sure he didn't run into Gresh in a dark ally...

I just think as first rounders go he caught a lot of flack.

He even said "he'd be the villain"...  but why was he villain"ized" in the first place?

Some false starts, penalties, and drops.

More than several occasions he'd seek out fans to give TD catches the ball.

There have been many players that have failed much more than him so why the hatred?

Eifert is by far a better receiving TE.  He was used as such. 

It's debatable that Gresham could have had better and deeper routes given to him.

As far as drops does anyone remember this doozy... ?

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/tyler-eifert-on-drops-against-texans-it-s-embarrassing-111715

I don't miss JG.  I especially like Tyler Eifert as a player and all round good guy.

As a fan I wanted Eifert to re-sign with the Bengals.  Even though there are still bad fans that trash him too.

Lapham.  What can I say about this passive aggressive guy?

Someone that calls out a player as giving up on his team and uses semantics to back-track.

"Bbbb but but but...   I never said quitter!"

If someone thinks this old guy is gonna whoop ass on a player that has drug 4 guys down the field on a play like a freight train.

Good frickin' luck there pal.

My feelings and attitude about this guy is if he was honest he would've trashed Piano Man and his group of rubes by using his eyeballs and years of experience.

Instead this Bengals' management mouthpiece waits to take shots after he's gone.

He is what he is.

You like how he tells it straight?  Good for you all.   ThumbsUp
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 04:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: I have a question, with Williams missing the entire season do we still get him for the full contract or does this count as one year of his contract in terms of playability?

He gets paid this year i think 11 mil but not sure.  I know contracts today have medical insurance so I do not think some if not all of this comes from the Bengal organization. But yes it does count as 1st year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 09:07 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I disagree. Every team has weak spots. If you were a fan of any other team besides a perennial winner, you would see the same thing. There seems to always be something for people who like to complain, to complain about.

But your point seems a little convoluted.  You say great coaches don't have bad players, but then you say the greatest coach of this era couldn't do anything with our roster. And then you mention a great player.... Is it the coaches or players?

This is so rediculous I dont even know where to start.  Of course every team has some weaknesses.  Bobby hart and vigil are among the worst in the league at their position.  Earlier you said sample can help make up for the loss of jonah.  As soon as I read that its clear you have no idea what you are talking about.  There are things we can do schematically but sample or any blocking te simply will not be able to do what a decent tackle would be able to do. 

Please show me where I said good coaches dont have bad players.  Is it coaches or players? Lol this is so dumb I dunno where to start.  Obviously the rest of the world knows its a combination of both.  The fact you cant comprehend this is amazing.  I said belicheck could not make up for our deficiencies...its an opinion that can never be proven correct or incorrect since bill isnt coaching this team.   Bill has had the best player in the history of the nfl for a long time.  When you have the best qb in the nfl and you have a coaching staff making adjustments to put the team in best position to win, guess what happens?? If we had tom brady I wouldent be nearly as concerned.  A bill belichick team has never had an oline like what we are looking at this year.  Now that its looking like boling is out too we only have 1 serviceable starter in glenn.  I truly believe westerman is the 2nd best guy we have now.  Price was horrible last year...when we signed miller buffalo fans were dancing in the streets they were so happy he was gone and bobby hart is the worst starting rt in the league.  If you think our holes arent more glaring you either havent watched the team or dont understand football.  Thats just our oline.  Dont get me started on our lb's who are easily the worst in the league.  Its painful as a fan and its never ending with this team because ownership will never change and katie isnt going to be any better than her penny pinching father.  This circle will never end...I feel especially bad for the veterans like aj, geno and dunlap that they have to go through another season with no shot at super bowl because ownership just will not do whats necessary to build a stronger roster.  There were plenty of guys out there for the oline and lb this year and we chose to ignore it.
Reply/Quote
Let me ask this question:

If we lost Joanie and went out and signed someone with Glenn's resume to replace him how mad would you be?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
every team will lose a top 10 player this season. injuries are a part of the game. Do I wish we had a proactive owner and try to lure Joe Thomas out of retirement of course. WTS its not the end of the world either. Ive ban a fan since 1988 and Marvin was the worst gameday coach we have ever had. it's almost statistically impossible for Zach to be worse. Shula and Lebeau had no talent
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let me ask this question:

If we lost Joanie and went out and signed someone with Glenn's resume to replace him how mad would you be?

That's pretty much the scenario that I have been calling for/predicting.  Only, I see the player with a resume similar to Glenn's as coming available due to cuts in training camp.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
[Image: 35546123001_5485000869001_5484991565001-...5546123001]

That's all I can say boys.......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 04:22 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: And Jackson did not have to miss the whole year, he could have been brought back and received some solid game snaps but the idiot Merv brought Peerman back to the roster instead. 

That move pissed me off to no end..... :paul:

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 10:00 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Ive ban a fan since 1988 and Marvin was the worst gameday coach we have ever had. it's almost statistically impossible for Zach to be worse.

You should not use terms like "statistically" if you do not know what they mean.

On what "statistic" are you basing this argument?

(06-28-2019, 10:00 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Shula and Lebeau had no talent

When Marvin took over for LeBeau he immediately lost the best player on defense (Spikes) and offense (Dillon) and still won 6 more games than LeBeau did despite the major loss of talent.

Shula took over a team that had a lot more talented players than Marvin did...4 guys who were selcted All Pro during their career, Boomer Esiason, DT Tim Krumrie, Safety David Fulcher, and LB Alfred Williams.... 5 more guys who made Pro Bowl teams, TE Rodney Holman (3 X), RB Harold Green, WR Carl Pickens (2 X), Safety Darryl Williams, and CB Eric Thomas.....plus other talented players like WR Tim McGee (1211 yards and 18.6 avg in '89), and LB/DE Danny Stubbs (2 seasons with 9 sacks, 52 for his career).
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 10:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: That move pissed me off to no end..... :paul:

Dennard, Kirkpatrick, and Jones were all healthy and you have no idea if Jackson was ready to play.  He was a rookie who got injured early in training camp (or maybe even before).

I don't understand people who just make stuff up in order to get upset.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 01:45 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Bengals have already paid Williams 11 million of the 17 million of his four year deal. Not much incentive to try to come back too early. Hope we haven't created another useless , lazy, swinging door tackle. But I guess we could have saved 7 million for a free agent instead of paying all the money up front. But we all know how the Bengals modus operandi.

I don't think you have to worry about Williams being lazy......who knows if he's injury prone at this point, but that wasn't the case in a STELLAR career for the Crimson Tide.  From all accounts, including Saban, the kid is a film and practice junkie.  He'll be fine on that front.

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 11:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dennard, Kirkpatrick, and Jones were all healthy and you have no idea if Jackson was ready to play.  He was a rookie who got injured early in training camp (or maybe even before).

I don't understand people who just make stuff up in order to get upset.

I wasn't making up anything.....we brought back Cedric Peerman in a season that was slipping down the tubes at that point.  My choice would have been to get the youngster some valuable game reps vs getting a STer that we know doesn't need the experience.  I disagreed with the move, and that's all there is to it.

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 10:00 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: every team will lose a top 10 player this season. injuries are a part of the game. Do I wish we had a proactive owner and try to lure Joe Thomas out of retirement of course. WTS its not the end of the world either. Ive ban a fan since 1988 and Marvin was the worst gameday coach we have ever had. it's almost statistically impossible for Zach to be worse. Shula and Lebeau had no talent

So if we are .500 or lower this year you're going to automatically declare this team "untalented" I take it?
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 03:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: #SameDey

All but guarantees that when Williams sucks in 2020, people will pull out the "he was hurt his rookie year, he's basically a rookie" classic.

Shame that injuries ruined the 2019 season. But man, just wait until 2020. They'll let some people go in FA, get some sweet compensatory picks, all the people hurt each of the last four years will magically all be healthy, and will be surefire shots to win the SB.

[Image: tenor.gif]

At some point the "bad luck" becomes bad scouting, bad medical, and bad development. Flukes that happen nonstop aren't flukes. They're a pattern.

Look forward to some sweet Hobspin articles about how Hart has really turned it around. Probably through MMA... or interpretive dance. Then there will be threads made about how they sure were glad Hart was around, as if he wasn't cut by the Giants for being terrible, and then terrible for the Bengals.

Wake me up when it's no longer Groundhog Day.

DUDE plays on the top team in college,never gets hurt,faces the best their is and comes here and gets slammed in otas.unreal and you just know the bengals are for sure cursed and snake bit and its gotta be in the water.I predict this dude will never be a stud in the nfl,he looks to me like he does not have the body style to handle the top talent in the world called the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE.WHAT INSANITY. Cool Sad :paul:
Reply/Quote
Somehow I don't think the Steelers or Patriots would think their chances were down the tubes if they lost a rookie tackle.

Then again, our team isn't run by people named Kraft or Rooney.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 03:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Somehow I don't think the Steelers or Patriots would think their chances were down the tubes if they lost a rookie tackle.

I don't think our chances are down the tubes by any means. Yes it is not a good thing but we still have not seen the new schemes in action, and good scheming can compensate a lot for things like injuries. Lets just remember that our scheming on both sides of the ball has not been good for the past few seasons, which not only made the impact of injuries more severe than they should have been but also set our players up to fail instead of succeed.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 03:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: I don't think our chances are down the tubes by any means. Yes it is not a good thing but we still have not seen the new schemes in action, and good scheming can compensate a lot for things like injuries. Lets just remember that our scheming on both sides of the ball has not been good for the past few seasons, which not only made the impact of injuries more severe than they should have been but also set our players up to fail instead of succeed.

It's funny to me that the scheme is what everyone cite as our hope.

Taylor was a bad OC at the U of Cincy and with the Dolphins.

With the Rams, in his 2 years there...he was assistant WR coach and then QB Coach the next year. I doubt he designed plays in either stop.

We didn't hire McVey. We hired his assistant WR Coach/QB Coach.

And what scheme can hide a terrible offensive line? We had a bottom 5 line last year, and lost our best player Boling and our best draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 11:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny to me that the scheme is what everyone cite as our hope.

Taylor was a bad OC at the U of Cincy and with the Dolphins.

With the Rams, in his 2 years there...he was assistant WR coach and then QB Coach the next year. I doubt he designed plays in either stop.

We didn't hire McVey. We hired his assistant WR Coach/QB Coach.

And what scheme can hide a terrible offensive line? We had a bottom 5 line last year, and lost our best player Boling and our best draft pick.

We are going to run the Rams' scheme with the Bengals' roster and a bunch of coaches from the 2013 Dolphins.  I realize everyone wants to be the Rams now, but the Rams also went all-in on a #1 overall QB and got a new offensive-minded HC and were very active in free agency and adding high-priced supplemental talent.  There is a team in the AFC North that did those things and hopefully that team doesn't become the Rams, because it ain't us.

I'm not even predicting doom 'n' gloom for this year, I just find our instant faith in this coaching staff to be a little troubling.  Troubling in the way that we are going into 2019 with the idea that ZT and his crew are instantly a step in the right direction, the team is way better because they aren't injured (that's a reality, there), and our front office is better now because Katie and ZT and not as much Mike Brown made a bunch of genius draft picks.

Everything will be swell as long as we make the playoffs.  If we don't have a season that rivals those of the good Marvin era then one of the things were are convinced is better is going to take some lumps.

(06-28-2019, 03:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Somehow I don't think the Steelers or Patriots would think their chances were down the tubes if they lost a rookie tackle. 

I usually get on fans for being too optimistic, but I have to admit things are fairly symmetrical in the sense that we went from being super pumped about Williams, to being super bummed when we lost him.  Also, going into the draft we talked a lot about how our 1st pick had to address one of our major needs, so logic would indicate we really needed this guy to fill a hole and now...said hole ain't filled. 
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 03:30 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote:

Such a bummer. At least we've got options as far as the line is concerned.

NEW DEY is much like OLD DEY in WHO DEY as in WHO DEY pick in Round 1 will always be injured Rookie Year.  Williams picking up where Ogbuehi left off.  Last Place Bengals could not afford another 1st Round Pick too injured to play.  That is not NEW DEY, that is SAME OLD, SAME OLD DEY. 

It would be stupid to blame the new coach.  The Front Office has had a hand in all the 1st round busts over the years, and so if you must blame anybody, start with Mike Brown and Front Office. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 12:55 AM)kevin Wrote: NEW DEY is much like OLD DEY in WHO DEY as in WHO DEY pick in Round 1 will always be injured Rookie Year.  Williams picking up where Ogbuehi left off.  Last Place Bengals could not afford another 1st Round Pick too injured to play.  That is not NEW DEY, that is SAME OLD, SAME OLD DEY. 

It would be stupid to blame the new coach.  The Front Office has had a hand in all the 1st round busts over the years, and so if you must blame anybody, start with Mike Brown and Front Office. 

But the problem with that is that we were hoping that Mike Brown wasn't the guy making the lion's (tiger's?) share of the decisions now.  Right now we are looking at a 1st round o-lineman who had a bum shoulder and can't even play in 2019 and the only QB we bothered bringing in that we traded up for who can't even complete a pass.  Seems like we'd be going from "ZT and Katie are the brilliant wave of the future!" to "Oh crap...I hope Mike Brown is still being a draft-pick tyrant" in a hurry.
Reply/Quote