Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jonah Williams out for the season
(06-27-2019, 05:04 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Do you mean Miller at RG?  I would not count out MJ.  They seem pretty high on him.  

Yes, Miller.  My mistake.  As for MJ, I'm very hopeful for him, as well.  I've just tried to temper my expectations.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-north-notes-bengals-browns-ravens-22/

A claim that Williams was injured last season
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 08:32 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: See this ^ is what I was getting at in the first place.

JG played through a lot of injuries.

Gresham may have been an under-performer that had penalty issues.

But he wasn't some made of glass, quitter, or never produced player either.

The way he's hated by our fans is ridiculous.  You'd think he was an Ogbuehi type pick.

I wish he would've kicked Lapham's dumb ass too.  He deserved it more than anyone to be calling him out.

At the least it was very unprofessional of Lapham...  but what do you expect of a 2nd rate wanna-be-announcer.

They basically make fun of his calls in the national media because he acts like a boozed up fan in the box.

I've never heard of anyone making fun of Lapham's calls, and I enjoy his games very much. And Gresh kicking his ass....LMAO.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 11:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I would argue that they spend premium dollars for mediocre players. To me, that's worse than overpaying quality guys.

Without Boling and Williams, our line could actually be much worse than last year.

What positions did we actually upgrade from last year?

Well, Price should be healthy this year, and have some game experience, so Center is upgraded. Right Guard now has enough options that whoever wins it should be an upgrade over Redmond. That's 2.... (and Lap says Price is noticeably bigger this year, which makes sense since he's a year older and has had an entire off season in which he could actually lift.)
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 10:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I've never heard of anyone making fun of Lapham's calls, and I enjoy his games very much. And Gresh kicking his ass....LMAO.

Ill admit I've had a hard time listening to him because he tends to scream and bellow in reaction to what is going on on the field and drown out the play by play.

Dalton goes deep and I'm trying to figure out what happened based upon the sound of Lap's guttural yelling.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 11:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ill admit I've had a hard time listening to him because he tends to scream and bellow in reaction to what is going on on the field and drown out the play by play.

Dalton goes deep and I'm trying to figure out what happened based upon the sound of Lap's guttural yelling.

Lapham's a big a fan of this team as anyone. I enjoy that....
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 11:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Lapham's a big a fan of this team as anyone. I enjoy that....

Enthusiasm is fine, it just seems like a guy with a live Mic who is a professional would limit the times he yells over the play by play.

Dalton back to WHOOOOARRRRGH!!!! ooking for Ross in the endzone....BLOOAAARGH!!!!!  And the play results in......AAAAOOOORRRGH!!!!

It's amusing and frustrating.  Almost seems like some sort of Chris Farley SNL skit.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 11:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Lapham's a big a fan of this team as anyone. I enjoy that....

So do I.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 10:41 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-north-notes-bengals-browns-ravens-22/

A claim that Williams was injured last season

I remember some speculation about this after the draft as to why he fell to 11.

Did our micro-scouting department even know?

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 10:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I've never heard of anyone making fun of Lapham's calls, and I enjoy his games very much. And Gresh kicking his ass....LMAO.

You live in a bubble my friend.  I've actually heard them make fun of him on ESPN, FOX, and other major media outlets. He's a hooping hollering homer that is the Bengals ownership mouthpiece.

https://awfulannouncing.com/2013/hilarious-bengals-radio-call-is-the-nfl-highlight-of-the-week.html

And yes a much younger and stronger Gresham could kick ol' Laps ass easily.

To say otherwise is just living in a veteran Bengals fantasy land.

Dude was the only one who had enough nuts to take on Geno in drill practices.

Let's just sh+t on him a little more though. 

Fans of this team just make me wanna shake my damn head.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 11:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Enthusiasm is fine, it just seems like a guy with a live Mic who is a professional would limit the times he yells over the play by play.

Dalton back to WHOOOOARRRRGH!!!! ooking for Ross in the endzone....BLOOAAARGH!!!!!  And the play results in......AAAAOOOORRRGH!!!!

It's amusing and frustrating.  Almost seems like some sort of Chris Farley SNL skit.

Yep.  Enthusiam and acting like a doofus when trying to listen to the game are two things.

He's just not a professional at it and regularly makes the "homer" highlight reels.

Hence why it was unprofessional to do what he did in that Gresham situation as well.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 11:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Enthusiasm is fine, it just seems like a guy with a live Mic who is a professional would limit the times he yells over the play by play.

A conglomeration of these two come to mind.

[Image: th?id=OIP.BE36gFb1Y19AoGgk3PQR4wHaFL&pid...=257&h=180]

[Image: th?id=OIP.h2ryIM5MYRHmZSDnqmVjKgHaFj&pid...=254&h=191]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 11:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ill admit I've had a hard time listening to him because he tends to scream and bellow in reaction to what is going on on the field and drown out the play by play.

It reminds me of an Artie Lange standup bit about gambling and the Giants radio announcer.

I can't post it because of too many profanities but look it up.   So similar to Lap.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 12:41 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I remember some speculation about this after the draft as to why he fell to 11.

Did our micro-scouting department even know?

So would you call the mass of doctors doing the extremely intense physicals at the combine "micro" as well?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1968230-an-inside-look-into-the-nfl-medical-exam-process-at-the-combine

It cracks me up how "fans" just look for things to gripe about and point fault at when it comes to this franchise. Williams came out of one of the most rigorous physical exams that an athlete can go thru with no red flags.

He got injured during workouts as simple as that. Yes it is sucks but it is an unfortunate thing that happened. Trying to make it out to be something that the Bengals could have foreseen or could have prevented is just silliness.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 02:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So would you call the mass of doctors doing the extremely intense physicals at the combine "micro" as well?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1968230-an-inside-look-into-the-nfl-medical-exam-process-at-the-combine

It cracks me up how "fans" just look for things to gripe about and point fault at when it comes to this franchise. Williams came out of one of the most rigorous physical exams that an athlete can go thru with no red flags.

He got injured during workouts as simple as that. Yes it is sucks but it is an unfortunate thing that happened. Trying to make it out to be something that the Bengals could have foreseen or could have prevented is just silliness.

No, but I would call two Scouts, two Scouting Directors and one Director of Player personnel as micro by today's NFL standards.

The doctor quoted said he noticed the brace while watching a game. He saw it, but did anyone else?

It's just that I heard there might be something with him and an injury as to why he fell but it was one of those speculative sort of things with no credence.

Besides, I can't pass up an opportunity to complain about Mike Brown.  Wink

Reply/Quote
I have a question, with Williams missing the entire season do we still get him for the full contract or does this count as one year of his contract in terms of playability?
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 04:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: I have a question, with Williams missing the entire season do we still get him for the full contract or does this count as one year of his contract in terms of playability?

You're talking about the McCarron situation?

Pretty sure this counts as 1 year of his 5 year contract so 4 more years left.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 02:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You live in a bubble my friend.  I've actually heard them make fun of him on ESPN, FOX, and other major media outlets. He's a hooping hollering homer that is the Bengals ownership mouthpiece.

https://awfulannouncing.com/2013/hilarious-bengals-radio-call-is-the-nfl-highlight-of-the-week.html

And yes a much younger and stronger Gresham could kick ol' Laps ass easily.

To say otherwise is just living in a veteran Bengals fantasy land.

Dude was the only one who had enough nuts to take on Geno in drill practices.

Let's just sh+t on him a little more though. 

Fans of this team just make me wanna shake my damn head.

I'm a big fan of Lap and don't care what other media people think of him.  His analysis is so often really accurate.  He's a homer to be sure, something I actually enjoy about him.  His exuberance can be a bit on the intrusive side at times but I love the flavor.

But as for Gresh, I think you have a bit of a point.   The guy was a violent blocker and physically very intimidating.  And when he came into the league he had really good hands.  They said he was a slow study, which I believe.  But it makes me wonder what the team culture was for guys like him (and Ross?) - and how much of it was the Head Coach, the coaching staff as a whole and maybe other players?

I believe he made the pro bowl in Arizona.   He was strong as a bull and had long arms.   I remember thinking that Lap might want to make sure he didn't run into Gresh in a dark ally...
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 04:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: I have a question, with Williams missing the entire season do we still get him for the full contract or does this count as one year of his contract in terms of playability?

believe he losses a year to become a URFA  but its still a year on his contract
Reply/Quote

(06-27-2019, 04:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You're talking about the McCarron situation?

Pretty sure this counts as 1 year of his 5 year contract so 4 more years left.

It's actually a 4 year deal with a team option for a 5th. This year counts as the first year whether he plays a down or not.

Reply/Quote