Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah speaks on Pollack
(06-05-2021, 06:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: After that comment a camera caught Pollack slipping Williams a $20

F that, Pollack took the 20 from Williams.... Mellow

Don't praise me bro, don't praise me, do your job. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 09:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed.  Some like to argue that once players reach the pros, that they should already be technically sound, and no longer need to work on the fundamentals of technique and such.  That could not be farther from the truth.  In reality, many of these OL that get taken in the draft each year weren't the technically sound at their positions, they stood out and dominated due to their size and physical abilities that put them apart from the rest.  Once they reach the NFL, everyone was head and shoulders above their contemporaries in college, everyone has about the same amount of physical talent.  It's up to the teams to provide that coaching that elevates their game to the professional level, and develops them into NFL quality linemen.

Well just look at how many O-line players that get picked and put in a different position than they played in college.

You'd think that the pro coaches better be able to mold and instruct them or that player will sink and not succeed.

It's not all on the player walking in the door day one and using their draft status/college experience that got them there.

To some people thinking that they're grown men and the NFL shouldn't have to teach them much...  well that's just stupid.

There's probably many athletes that despite playing well in the collegiate level have some bad habits and techniques.

That doesn't even cover the O-line coach's blocking schemes and offensive approach for what the OC or HC wants to implement.

Now take the player and have them change from outside T to interior G, vice versa, or even just switching the sides of the line that their naturally accustomed to.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's so funny?  Mellow

You don't think that people can improve themselves with proper guidance and instruction? 

He doesn’t. He just likes to come in here and shit on everyone’s opinions and anything the team tries to do.

Most of us on this board are morons. Didn’t you get the memo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ive never seen one position coach have a negative
Effect on a group as I have with Jim Turner
Its like he figuratively removed all the teeth from the oline
How this idiot continues to get coaching jobs is
Beyond me.
Its like he took the collective IQ of the oline and
Lowered it by 50 points in regards to the mental
Aspect of the oline
Reply/Quote
It's pretty much the case with any profession. Very few people walk out of college knowing everything they need to know about their jobs. Football isn't brain surgery, but it's been studied by those playing and coaching it for years. If it was so simple teams would do away with position coaches and have one guy calling plays, end of story.. All the physical tools mean little if you don't know what to do with them. You wouldn't trust an accountant with no experience and a new set of tools to work on the engine of your car..at least I wouldn't..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Good college players work very hard, but they are still just part-time football players and the time they spend with coaches is miniscule compared to NFL players. Plus in D-I they are working with one of about 120 O-line coaches of varying levels of skill. Even the worst NFL O-line coach should be better than almost all of the college O-line coaches.

This is one of the main reasons why each year only a small handful of the most elite college O-linemen are able to contribute as rookies in the NFL. And even those guys get better after their rookie seasons.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 01:42 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Ive never seen one position coach have a negative
Effect on a group as I have with Jim Turner

Its like he figuratively removed all the teeth from the oline
How this idiot continues to get coaching jobs is
Beyond me.
Its like he took the collective IQ of the oline and
Lowered it by 50 points in regards to the mental
Aspect of the oline

I agree with you on this & even worse, the signs were there because of what went down in Miami.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 09:59 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I agree with you on this & even worse, the signs were there because of what went down in Miami.

I didn't really hold Miami against him, because face it, that line was nothing but head cases. But he sure crapped the bed here.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 09:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: F that, Pollack took the 20 from Williams.... Mellow

Don't praise me bro, don't praise me, do your job. Mellow

Then Pollack winked at Williams and slipped him another $20
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 10:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I didn't really hold Miami against him, because face it, that line was nothing but head cases. But he sure crapped the bed here.

As a coach and leader though, surely he had some accountability for what was going down? I don't put it all on him either.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 05:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Several times, over the years, I have asserted that I believe that most guys that make it to the NFL have the raw physical talent to make it.  Aside from the few genetic anomalies, what separates most of the players that continue on to long and productive careers (injuries notwithstanding) from the ones that flash and fall off, is coaching.  Hopefully for our OL room, Frank Pollack is that Coach that makes the difference in players developing into talented, productive professionals, as opposed to falling off into obscurity.

No doubt coaching plays a role, but a hungry player who loves football, all of it from the film room to practice is needed for any coach to get them to their peak.

BB is great at assembling players who love the grind, love the game. Once they have the big bucks, some players play to have a long career by playing it safe, guys who love the game don't do it for the money, but for the love of the game so they stay motivated after a big contract. As the old saying goes you (coach) can lead a horse (player) to water, but you can't make them drink (want it).
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 12:00 PM)GodFather Wrote: Then Pollack winked at Williams and slipped him another $20

Always have to have the last word don't yah GF.  Mellow

(06-06-2021, 12:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No doubt coaching plays a role, but a hungry player who loves football, all of it from the film room to practice is needed for any coach to get them to their peak.

BB is great at assembling players who love the grind, love the game. Once they have the big bucks, some players play to have a long career by playing it safe, guys who love the game don't do it for the money, but for the love of the game so they stay motivated after a big contract. As the old saying goes you (coach) can lead a horse (player) to water, but you can't make them drink (want it).

True, but that is what I like about the players we have brought in the last few years. Sure the wins haven't come but we don't 
know how big of a reason that was coming from the coaches in the trenches where we got beat like a drum. With Pollack and 
Hobby and the additions of Reiff, Spain, XSF, Carman, D'Ante Smith, Trey Hill, Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Ossai, Cam Sample, 
Shelvin, Hubert we might have the players that finally want it.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 02:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Always have to have the last word don't yah GF.  Mellow

Hilarious  Ok that cracked me the F'k up!
Reply/Quote
While this isn't surprising since basically players will always hype up new coaches, there's been a lot of discussion on how bad Turner really was. Willie was on Twitter a few weeks ago talking about the two-hand punch technique that Turner was teaching. He basically said that it was awful. Then former player Scott Kooistra and Paul Alexander chimed in and mentioned that no intelligent OL coach would teach that technique.

After everything that has come out about Turner, I am shocked that this guy continues to find work.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 01:21 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: While this isn't surprising since basically players will always hype up new coaches, there's been a lot of discussion on how bad Turner really was. Willie was on Twitter a few weeks ago talking about the two-hand punch technique that Turner was teaching. He basically said that it was awful. Then former player Scott Kooistra and Paul Alexander chimed in and mentioned that no intelligent OL coach would teach that technique.

After everything that has come out about Turner, I am shocked that this guy continues to find work.

I remember Willie posted critical tweets during the regular season also.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 08:52 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: In all seriousness I believe that Pollack's training and technical discipline will make a world of difference compared to Turner. 

I think so too. He had a bad line playing just below average before he left. We went from that to downright dreadful.

(06-05-2021, 09:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed.  Some like to argue that once players reach the pros, that they should already be technically sound, and no longer need to work on the fundamentals of technique and such.  That could not be farther from the truth.  In reality, many of these OL that get taken in the draft each year weren't the technically sound at their positions, they stood out and dominated due to their size and physical abilities that put them apart from the rest.  Once they reach the NFL, everyone was head and shoulders above their contemporaries in college, everyone has about the same amount of physical talent.  It's up to the teams to provide that coaching that elevates their game to the professional level, and develops them into NFL quality linemen.

Truth....and with the abundance of the spread offense in college, a lot of these guys (even high picks) aren't NFL ready when they get here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 03:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know pretty much everyone here has given up on Michael Jordan, but with a player that young coaching might make a big difference.

If we replace the highlighted text with Billy Price, could the results be the same, Fred?
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 01:16 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: If we replace the highlighted text with Billy Price, could the results be the same, Fred?

Price already played a season under Pollack and did not look very good, but he could very likely improve over last year.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 10:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I didn't really hold Miami against him, because face it, that line was nothing but head cases. But he sure crapped the bed here.

I gotta say, I didn't think Incognito would have still been playing after the bullying scandal, let alone 5 seasons (and counting).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 02:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I gotta say, I didn't think Incognito would have still been playing after the bullying scandal, let alone 5 seasons (and counting).

Talent trumps just about everything when it comes to sports. Look at Rapistburger.
Reply/Quote