Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What 2 will lead the Bengals in sacks this year?
(06-09-2021, 12:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, it was pretty ugly injury wise last year. I like our depth this year much better at all the positions on D.

No doubt, especially at CB and DT....big weaknesses last year.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 07:52 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Don’t over think it. We have a lot of quality pieces. But our stud DE tandem is in place. Hendrickson and Hubbard are going to put up more sacks than anything Dunlap and insert name here (MJ) ever did.

I would be absolutely shocked if they put up 20 sacks between them.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 05:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I would be absolutely shocked if they put up 20 sacks between them.

"Shocked"?  Really?  Why?  Hubbard had 8.5 in 2019.  Hendrickson had 13.5 last year.

Nothing "shocking" about players just matching what they have done before in their careers.
Reply/Quote
Hendrickson and Ossai top two in sacks, I think.
I see Ossai having a Lawson-type rookie season.

My projections for season sacks:
Hendrickson - 9 sacks
Ossai - 7 sacks
Hubbard - 6 sacks
Ogunjobi - 5 sacks
Reader - 3 sacks
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: "Shocked"?  Really?  Why?  Hubbard had 8.5 in 2019.  Hendrickson had 13.5 last year.

Nothing "shocking" about players just matching what they have done before in their careers.

Because Hendrickson only put those kind of sack numbers up once?... He wasn't even close to that in previous years. On top of that; how far do we have to go back for any Bengal to record double digit sack totals? My guess would be that it was Carlos and or Geno, and my other guess would be that the current defensive coaching staff were doing something else in another city.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 08:29 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Hendrickson and Ogunjobi.  Hubbard is a 3-4 DE playing 4-3E, and doesn’t have the explosion to be a double digit sack guy.  Serviceable player, but better against the run.

Couple that with the fact we will be playing a 3-4 maybe 6 snaps a game, but Hubbard would be the OLB in the set.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 08:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: LeShawn Sims and a parade of street guys at DT were pretty big holes in critical roles for much of the season on defense.  Both addressed in a big way.  

Mike Zimmer was handed the 27th ranked defense, and by 2009 had us in the top 10 with a lot of "street guys" like Dhani Jones and Chris Crocker.

Peko, Odom, Rivers and Roy Williams missed 30 games combined. We started some guys named Tom Nelson, Brandon Johnson and Ndukwe. Our d-line was super weak that year.

A good coach can at least make guys look better than they really are. Lou has arguably made us look worse than our talent level. Especially in 2019, when you can't use the injury excuse.

Regardless of who we trotted out there, they were NFL caliber players who had no business giving up 400 yards rushing. It takes a special ineptitude to reach that level of bad.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mike Zimmer was handed the 27th ranked defense, and by 2009 had us in the top 10 with a lot of "street guys" like Dhani Jones and Chris Crocker.

Peko, Odom, Rivers and Roy Williams missed 30 games combined. We started some guys named Tom Nelson, Brandon Johnson and Ndukwe. Our d-line was super weak that year.

A good coach can at least make guys look better than they really are. Lou has arguably made us look worse than our talent level. Especially in 2019, when you can't use the injury excuse.

Regardless of who we trotted out there, they were NFL caliber players who had no business giving up 400 yards rushing. It takes a special ineptitude to reach that level of bad.

All true sadly. Just makes me want Zim back. Sad
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mike Zimmer was handed the 27th ranked defense, and by 2009 had us in the top 10 with a lot of "street guys" like Dhani Jones and Chris Crocker.

Testify!!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 07:35 PM)jason Wrote: Because Hendrickson only put those kind of sack numbers up once?... He wasn't even close to that in previous years. On top of that; how far do we have to go back for any Bengal to record double digit sack totals? My guess would be that it was Carlos and or Geno, and my other guess would be that the current defensive coaching staff were doing something else in another city.

If I’m not mistaken Hendricksons pressure numbers have always been consistent. Last year was just the year he got a significant number of snaps which allowed him to get more sacks.
Reply/Quote
I’m going to go out on a limb here and predict Lou Anarumo dials up more linebacker blitz plays in 2021 and the sack leaders will be Logan Wilson and Akeem Davis-Gaither.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mike Zimmer was handed the 27th ranked defense, and by 2009 had us in the top 10 with a lot of "street guys" like Dhani Jones and Chris Crocker.

Chris Crocker couldn't start over Bell or Bates right now for sure, but Dhani Jones would be our best LB.  He is far from a "street guy" in terms of his level of play.  

Were you just referring to the 2009 defense?  That team also had the pairing of Joseph and Hall at CB for all 16 games.  That defense also had Pat Sims (former 3rd round pick) and Tank Johnson (former 2nd rounder) in rotation with Peko (who did play 11 games).

I am not saying Zimmer wasn't an awesome coach.  He was....at least here as a DC.  But that defense had a lot more talent on the field than the Bengals did in the final week of the season last year.  Honestly, the offensive output in both the Ravens games is just as concerning to me.  
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true sadly. Just makes me want Zim back. Sad

Probably my favorite coach of all-time.

(06-14-2021, 06:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Chris Crocker couldn't start over Bell or Bates right now for sure, but Dhani Jones would be our best LB.  He is far from a "street guy" in terms of his level of play.  

Were you just referring to the 2009 defense?  That team also had the pairing of Joseph and Hall at CB for all 16 games.  That defense also had Pat Sims (former 3rd round pick) and Tank Johnson (former 2nd rounder) in rotation with Peko (who did play 11 games).

I am not saying Zimmer wasn't an awesome coach.  He was....at least here as a DC.  But that defense had a lot more talent on the field than the Bengals did in the final week of the season last year.  Honestly, the offensive output in both the Ravens games is just as concerning to me.  

Yes they had elite corners. We have elite safeties. Zimmer made Dhani look good. The guy was pondering retirement due to lack of interest from teams. When Tank Johnson and 11 games of Peko are your best linemen, you had a bad line.

We could split hairs about this, but I'll just say I disagree that we had a "lot" more talent. There is no excuse for 400 rush yards. Only 4 teams have ever allowed that much. How many decades is that accounting for? How many bad teams and terrible defenses riddled with injuries didn't give up 400?

I just can't excuse it, SHRacer. We gave up a bunch of big rushing numbers in 2019 as well. It's Lou.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think Hubbard and Hendrickson will get a lot between them this season but I also think Hilton will get 7 - 9 sacks as I see us blitzing more
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2021, 08:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Probably my favorite coach of all-time.

Yes they had elite corners. We have elite safeties. Zimmer made Dhani look good. The guy was pondering retirement due to lack of interest from teams. When Tank Johnson and 11 games of Peko are your best linemen, you had a bad line.

We could split hairs about this, but I'll just say I disagree that we had a "lot" more talent. There is no excuse for 400 rush yards. Only 4 teams have ever allowed that much. How many decades is that accounting for? How many bad teams and terrible defenses riddled with injuries didn't give up 400?

I just can't excuse it, SHRacer. We gave up a bunch of big rushing numbers in 2019 as well. It's Lou.

I didn't say that Tank and Peko were the best linemen, but that they were a solid defensive line (and those guys played in the middle, where there was a huge gap of talent a few weeks in to the season last year.  And Peko was a very underrated run stuffer.  

I know it was a really poor showing by the defense in week 17 last year, and for much of the past two seasons.  I am willing to give Lou this year to prove himself.  Like I said in another thread, the T-shirt slogan this year should be "No Excuses".  
Reply/Quote